homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Burning Palms Liturgy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Burning Palms Liturgy
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Lent is early this year, I have a question:

Anyone heard or done a formal liturgy for the burning of Palms into the ashes for Ash Wednesday?

My experience in most parishes is that there is no formal or public liturgy for the burning of palms.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crucifer
Shipmate
# 523

- Posted      Profile for Crucifer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Since Lent is early this year, I have a question:

Anyone heard or done a formal liturgy for the burning of Palms into the ashes for Ash Wednesday?

My experience in most parishes is that there is no formal or public liturgy for the burning of palms.

We are in the first year of an interregnum, so I don't know what the interim priest has planned, but our long-time rector never had any formal liturgy of which I was aware.

He simply waited until everyone had left after the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper and burned the palms in the parish hall. The smell lingered well into Lent...

--------------------
Crucifer

Posts: 232 | From: Diocese of Rupert's Land, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We bring our Palm crosses from last year to be burnt on Shrove Tuesday ready for imposition on Ash Wednesday. Not everyone seems to keep last year's cross but there are enough available to burn and use.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not aware of any formal liturgy for burning of the palms, although there are some Psalms that might be suitable (50?, 51?).

As it's Shrove Tuesday and a time to be shriven I suppose the appropriate liturgy might start

quote:
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned, it has been xxx days since my last confession.
(removes tongue from cheek).

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the palms burnt during the early part of the Ash Wednesday mass, although with no special prayers (during the gradual hymn?).

Mind you, where does it say the ashes have to be last years' palms?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure why one would want to make a particular liturgy about this act, which is surely a functional one. The use of e.g. Ps 51 is fine, except surely more appropriate for the day after!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being something of an IT failure, I have signally failed to attach a link, but if you search on Google for ritual for burning of old palms, on the blogspot of Fr Jess you will find what you desire.

It is a Roman Rite and there is no Anglican provision for this, as far as I a aware. That being said, there is nothing objectionable to my Anglican sensibilities in the rite recorded.

Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are so damned difficult to burn that I wouldn't want a public liturgy where people could hear me muttering profanities every time the fire went out!

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They are so damned difficult to burn that I wouldn't want a public liturgy where people could hear me muttering profanities every time the fire went out!
Indeed, though I am considering experimenting with doing something as part of the Ash Wednesday service this year. Part of me feels i would need "one I had prepared earlier" (let watchers of the Blue Peter programme in the UK understand) in case of failure or the ash still being too warm!!!!!!!
[Biased]

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my previous post I took the painstakingly created ashes to an early Mass in a remote church, ready to take them straight on to another one. After the Mass I found the churchwarden had kindly disposed of them all! [Mad]

The second church ended up with a mixture of clinker from the fire and scraped burned toast. Don't think anyone noticed the difference...

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abervicar wrote

quote:
In my previous post I took the painstakingly created ashes to an early Mass in a remote church, ready to take them straight on to another one. After the Mass I found the churchwarden had kindly disposed of them all! The second church ended up with a mixture of clinker from the fire and scraped burned toast. Don't think anyone noticed the difference...
[Overused]
And in confession time once I found them so hard to burn that other similar substances would have been found in mine, if analysed. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I recall growing up my Dad burnt them on the driveway in an old biscuit tin.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been told that baking them in the oven is the way to go. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks time.
Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I burn them publicly but informally after Mass on the Sunday before Lent, as a trailer for the Big Event. A small amount of accelerant helps. Do you have oil "candles"? <AT YOUR OWN RISK> soak a couple of balls of newspaper with a couple of spoonsful of oil and ...... bingo!

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about at least a prayer when burning the palms:

"Almighty God who art a consuming fire which refines our humanity into the beauty of divinity, bless us as we burn these palms (+). May their ashes signify our mortality and helplessness that we may ever incline to thee, our Saviour and Redeemer, through the same Jesus Christ our Lord who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, ever one God, now and forever."

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never burned the palms (where I work, we have a lifetime supply of ashes that were ordered from a catalog years ago), but I hear it helps to add the chrism and/or oil of the sick from the previous year that you have to burn anyway. I'm not sure if that's done with any cloths, cotton balls, or anything else. I do burn the oils where I work, and do so with the cotton balls we've collected from oil stocks and paper napkins used for people to wipe their hands off after anointing with the oils. (We collect those and store them till there are enough to burn.) At any rate, I'm told adding the oils helps make the ashes nice and dark as well. Once years ago I was at an Ash Wednesday service where they were using only burnt palms with no oil, and the ash was such a pale grey you couldn't see it on most people's foreheads!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are had to burn but sifting can be more difficult. I understand many places are keeping the ashes from previous years, though I know it used to be the custom to pour the blessed ashes down the piscine after the Ash Wednesday service and always to use freshly blessed ashes each year.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016