homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep it simple (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep it simple
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The challenge is to take a passage from the Bible or a difficult explanation and rewrite it using only the 1000 most frequently used words. Then set a similar challenge for the next player. I've taken Psalm 46 and had a go to start us off. (It's harder than it looks!)

God is the place where I feel safe and he makes me feel strong because he is so strong;
He is always there in time of trouble.
So we will not be afraid, even though the world changes, even though the high places shake in the heart of the high and angry waters, even though the high places shake in the wind.

There is running water in God's city which fills God's city with good things and makes glad the place where God lives. God is in the middle of the city, it will not be moved. God will help it in the morning. The people of all parts of the world are sad, angry and afraid; the places with strong people to lead them them shake as if about to fall. He speaks and the world falls to pieces. God is with us. He is the place where we feel safe.

Come and see what God has done, see what things he has brought to the world to break it down. He brings an end to fighting to the end of the world. He breaks in two the things we use to hurt other people. " Be still and know that I am God. All the people of all the different lands of all the world hold me high. " God is with us. He is the place where we feel safe.

Romans 12, 14-21

<small>[ 25. January 2013, 07:36: Message edited by: Smudgie ]</small>

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 17:32: Message buggered about with by: Mamacita ]</small>

[ 14. February 2013, 03:27: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, this is fun, we could write a whole 'Primary School Bible' like this - even adult Sun readers would have access to the Holy Book!

The passage from Romans now reads:

14 Love those who are not nice to you; love and do not hate. 15 Be happy with those who are happy; be sad with those who are sad. 16 Live in calm with one another. Do not think you are the best, but be willing to spend time with people of low position. Do not be stuck up.

17 Do not give back anyone bad for bad. Take care to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it is up to you, live in calm with everyone. 19 Do not get your own back, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s anger, for it is written: “It is mine to get back; I will give back,” says God. 20 Instead:
“If the person you don't like needs food, give it to him;
if he needs a drink, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will put hot things on his head.”
21 Do not let bad things get the better of you, but let the bad things be taken over by good.

1 Corinthians 12: 12 - 26

Copy and paste the passage from Bible Gateway into the 1000 word generator (link provided by Smudgie) for speed of access.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revelation 13 gets a bit weird in parts:

quote:
The fire-breathing animal stood on the side of the water. And I saw a big bad animal coming out of the water. It had ten pointed head bits and seven heads, with ten bright head covers on its pointed head bits, and on each head a really-bad-word-about-God name. The big bad animal I saw looked like a spotted animal, but had feet like those of a big animal and a mouth like that of a big cat. The fire-breathing animal gave the big bad animal his power and his big chair and great power. One of the heads of the big bad animal seemed to have had a death-causing wound, but the death-causing wound had been made better. The whole world was filled with wonder and followed the big bad animal. People loved the fire-breathing animal because he had given power to the big bad animal, and they also loved the big bad animal and asked, “Who is like the big bad animal? Who can fight against it?”

The big bad animal was given a mouth to speak bad things about God and to show its power for four-tens-and-two months. It opened its mouth to say bad things about God, and to hurt his name and his house and those who live in the good sky place. It was given power to fight against Gods people and to beat them. And it was given power over every family, people, word and place. All people of the world will love the big bad animal — if their names have not been written in the white-hair animals book of life, the white-hair animal who was killed from the start of the world.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 Corinthians 12-26

Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with the son of God. For we were all made part of God's family by the power of God, so as to form one body—whether the old people of God or not, free or not—and we were all given the one power of God to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not part of the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not part of the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye can not say to the hand, “I do not need you!” And the head can not say to the feet, “I do not need you!” Rather, those parts of the body that seem not to be so strong have to be there, and the parts that we think are not so good are seen as being better. And the parts that should not be seen are hidden, while the parts that can be seen are not. But God has put the body together, making the worst parts better, so that the body should be one, and its parts should be the same in their concern for each other. If one part is hurt, every part hurts with it; if one part is seen as being good, every part is happy with it.

The hardest words to get rid of there were 'baptised' and 'Jews'...

How about the Lord's Prayer: Matthew 6, 9-13?

[ 25. January 2013, 22:04: Message edited by: Pia ]

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
‘Talk to God then in this way:
Our Father which we can not see,
May be your name be used with care as something good.
May you be in control of everything,
Your will be done,
in this world as it is above.
Give us this day our food for the day.
And do not hold against us the things we do wrong,
just as we also have forgotten the wrong things other people have done to us;
And do not bring us to the time when we might want to do the things we know we should not do,
but rather keep us safe from the one who would lead us into bad ways.

Try this: Matthew 1, 18-21

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
—whether the old people of God or not

I love the fact that even the elderly are included.

(There's hope for you yet, Welease Woderwick! [Biased] )

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
—whether the old people of God or not

I love the fact that even the elderly are included.

(There's hope for you yet, Welease Woderwick! [Biased] )

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here goes then Smudgie:

God's big book, part 42, small part 1.
[18] This is how the Son of God came into the world:
The woman who was to be His mother was to marry a man, but before they were completely together, like a man and woman do, she was found to be expecting a baby thanks to the part of God we can't see. [19]Because the man who was to marry her was a good man and did not want other people to think the woman was bad he made up his mind not to marry her after all. [20] But after he had considered this, the man saw a person sent by God in a dream. It said "Man, son of the best top man of God's old people, do not worry and take the woman home as your wife because that baby is from God [21] She will have a son, and you are to give him a name that means He will save people from all the bad things they have done or will ever do".

How come "King" isn't in there??

Now then: Romans 5 1-5. That'll sort you out!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not easy, but here you go!

quote:

So, since we have been made just by trust, we are friends with God through our top man the son. Through him we can also, by trust, be led into this present in which we stand, and we are happy in the hope because God is great. Not only this, but we also are happy in pain, knowing that pain helps us last, and lasting makes us good with God, and being good with God gives hope. And hope does not leave us sad, because the love of God has been put into our hearts through the Great Breath who was given to us.

Now, how about 1 Cor 1:16-20

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a go and struggled a bit with "demons" in this passage.

"Is not the cup of good things that we ask God to make different in a really good way a sharing in the blood of his Son? Is not the food that we share a sharing in the body of his Son? Because there is one food, we who are many are one body, for we all share the one food. Look at the people of this land. Are not those who eat the things given to God people who share in the high table at his place? Am I saying that not-real gods or food given to them mean anything? No, I mean that what the people who don't believe in God give their presents to are really, really bad persons that none can see, and not to God. I do not want you to be friends with them."

Isaiah 9:2-6.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got so far, but they didn't like the word 'joy' or 'happiness' - what a gloomy lot! Need to think of another word which will pass the Eeyore barrier....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isaiah 9, 2-6
The people walking in the dark
have seen a great light;
to those living in the land of deep dark
a light has come like the sun in the morning
You have made the place where we live stronger and happier
they are happy and give you thanks
as people give thanks for the good things they have,
as people who fight are happy when they can share out the things they have taken from those who were against them.
For just like the day when we were stronger than a place that was against the place where we live,
you have broken the things that hold them down,
the bar across their shoulders,
the stick of the people who were holding them down.
The shoe of all the people who fight that they used when fighting
and all their clothes rolled in blood
will be sent for burning,
will be used to make a fire.
For to us a child is will come,
to us a son is given,
and he will be in control of the whole world.
And he will be called
A Really Good Person To Help Others Know What To Do,
Very Great God,
Father Who Lives For Ever, Son Of The Person Who Is In Control Of A Place Who Will Make There Be No More Fights Between People.

'Wonderful Counsellor' and 'Prince of Peace' were challenging!!

How about Matthew 6, 25-30 ?

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

... to us a child will come , not is will come [Disappointed]

Was too happy to have avoided any unacceptable words to proof-read properly!

Chorister - sometimes the best way to get around things like that is to change the part of speech. So it doesn't accept 'joy' or 'happiness' but it does accept 'happy' and even 'happier'. In fact, nouns are the hardest things to replace, istm.

[ 26. January 2013, 09:50: Message edited by: Pia ]

flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite passages of the Bible, Job 19v25-27:
quote:
I know that my God lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the world. And after my skin has gone, yet in my body I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes – I, and not another. How my heart longs within me!

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
flags_fiend
Shipmate
# 12211

- Posted      Profile for flags_fiend   Email flags_fiend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should read the instructions first, sorry. Here is my attempt at actually following the instructions...

Matthew 6v25-30
quote:
So I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the animals of the air; they do not grow or save food, and yet your Father gives them food. Are you not much more important than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life" “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the leaves of the field grow. They do not work. Yet I tell you that not even one man with all of his money was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more give you clothes—you who only remember God a little?
For the next person, Revelation 21v1-7

--------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Posts: 238 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like using 'calm' for 'peace.' Anyone got any better ideas?

quote:
Then I saw a new sky and a new ground, for the first sky and ground were no more, and the water was no more. And I saw the good city – the new City of God's Calm – coming down out of the sky from God, made ready like a woman dressed for her man. And I heard a loud voice from the big chair saying: “Look! The house of God is with humans. He will live with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more – or being sad from death, or crying, or pain, for the earlier things are no more.” And the one seated on the big chair said: “Look! I am making all things new!” Then he said to me, “Write it down, because these words you can trust, they are true.”He also said to me, “It is done! I am the first and the last, the beginning and the end. To the one who needs it I will give water for free from the well of the water of life. The one who holds fast will get these things, and I will be his God and he will be my son."
Now, how about Song of Songs 1:2-4

[ 26. January 2013, 13:12: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that was fun...

"The Loved One to The One Who Loves Her

Oh, how I wish you would kiss me with strong feeling
For your love-making is much nicer than drink
The smell of you is really good;
your name is like the finest smells on the air
No wonder the young women think you're really something!
Draw me after you; let us hurry!
May he who owns this land bring me into his bedroom!"

Anyone up for having a go at Genesis 1:27-31?

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

So God made humans like himself,
a little like God he made them;
man and woman he made them.
God made them his people, and God said to them, "Make love and have children, and fill the land and use it for your needs; and have power over the things which live in the water and in the air and over every living thing that moves upon the land. ” God said, “See, I have given you every growing thing which makes new ones that is upon the face of all the land, and every tree with the food it makes to hold the part which will grow a new tree; you will be able to have them for food. And to every animal of the world, and to every flying living thing of the air, and to everything that moves low down on the ground, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green growing thing for food.” And it was so. God saw everything that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, day number six.

Let's try Exodus 20, 1-18

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Exodus 20, 1-18

Then God spoke all these words:

I am your God, who brought you out of the land where you were not free, out of the house where you were not free; you must have no other gods before me.

You must not make for yourself any thing that you love like a god, whether in the form of anything that is in the sky above where God is, or that is on the ground, or that is in the water under the ground. You must not lower your head to them or love them like gods; for I your God am a God who does not like it if you love other gods, making bad things happen to children because of the bad things done by their parents, to the third and the next lot of children of those who do not love me, but showing love always to many hundreds of lots of children of those who love me and do as I say.

You must not use of the name of your God for bad ends, for God will not stop feeling angry at anyone who uses his name for bad ends.

Remember the last day of the week, and keep it for God. For six days you must work and do all your work. But day number seven is the day for God; you must not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, the men and women who work for you, your animals, or the people in your towns who come from other places. For in six days God made the sky and the ground, the waters, and all that is in them, but he rested on day number seven; and so God said that day number seven was a very good day and he made it a day for God.

Do what your father and your mother tell you, so that your days may be long in the land that God is giving you.

You must not kill people.

You must not make love with a woman or man married to another person.

You must not take things that are not yours.

You must not tell lies against other people.

You must not want to have another person's house; you must not want to have another person's wife, or the men and women who work for him, or his animals, or anything that is his.

When all the people saw the great noise and light, the sound of the music, and the big piece of land going up smoking, they were afraid and shook and stood far away.

How on earth can 'smoking' be in there but not 'mountain' or even 'hill'? Not impressed with 'big piece of land going up' as a substitute!

How about Matthew 13, 1-9 next?

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell, that was complicated!

The Magnificat

The girl's Song of God being good: The Song of God being good 46 And the girl said, “Inside me I say God is good 47 and inside me I am happy in God who saves me 48 for he has looked on the low position of the girl who does as he says For see, from now on all people in the past and to come will call me happy and say good things happen to me 49 for he who is strong has done great things for me, and his name is very good. 50 And the gentle things he does are for those who fear him from father to son. 51 He has shown he is strong with his arm; he has sent far away the people who think well of themselves in the thoughts of their hearts; 52 he has brought down the people with power from their high seats and raised those of low positions to high places 53 he has filled the people who have no food with good things, and the people who have much he has sent away empty. 54 He has helped the people of the land who do as he says for they know he has always been gentle with them 55 as he spoke to our fathers, to the first father and to his children through time.” 56 And the young girl who visited her aunt's daughter remained with her about three months and returned to her house.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. That same day God's son went out of the house and sat by the water.
2 Such large crowds came to him that he got into a water-car and sat in it, while all the people stood on the land.
3 Then he told them many things in stories, saying: “A man who grows food went out to place his baby not-animals.
4 As he was placing the baby not-animals, some fell along the road, and the air-animals came and ate it up.
5 Some fell on hard places, where it did not have much land. It grew up quickly, because the land was not deep.
6 But when the sun came up, the growing food was burned, and they died because they had no place to grow.
7 Other baby not-animals fell into bad not-animals, which grew up and killed the not-animals.
8 Still other not-animals fell on good land, where it grew good food—a hundred, six-tens or three-tens times what was placed.
9 If you have ears, let them hear.”

(Seriously, "plant" and "seed" aren't in the ten hundred most common words? Weird.)

Okay, how about I Corinthians 13, 4-13?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

'Baby not-animals'! Genius! [Cool]
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 Corintians 13 4-13

4 Love accepts pain for a long time and is kind; love does not want what other people have; love does not show off, is not full of how good it is; 5 does not do things which are not nice for other people, does not look for its own, is not often angry, thinks no bad things; 6 is not happy about bad things, but is happy in the truth; 7 puts up with all things, believes all things, hopes all things, stands all things. 8 Love never lets you down. But where there there are things which people say will happen, they will not happen; whether there are tongues, they will stop; where there there are things which people know , they will not be any more . 9 For we know in part and in part we say what will happen. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away things which were those of a child. 12 For now we see in a mirror, but it is not clear, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know just as I also am known. 13 And now things we believe, hope and love, these three stay with us; but the greatest of these is love.

Sorry I forgot the bit about setting another challenge. Back to Pia's Matthew 13 1-9

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

That one's already been done, Jacobsen, so I've gone for Matthew 14, 18-21

Now when the Son of God heard this, he drew back from there in a car that goes on water to an empty place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns. When he went on land, he saw a great crowd; and he had kind thoughts for them and made their sick well. When it was evening, the men who followed him came to him and said, ‘This is an empty place, and the hour is now late; send the crowds away so that they may go into the small towns and buy food for themselves.’ The Son of God said to them, ‘They need not go away; you give them something to eat.’ They replied, ‘We have nothing here but five simple food stuffs and two water-living things ’ And he said, ‘Bring them here to me.’ Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the green floor cover. Taking the five simple food stuffs and the two water-living things, he looked up to the sky where God was, and said words to give them to God, and broke the stuff, and gave them to the people who followed him, and they gave them to the crowds. And all ate and were filled; and they took up what was left over of the broken pieces, ten and two more bags full. Those who ate were about five times ten hundred men, besides women and children.

Bread! How do you do bread? [brick wall]

Sticking with Matthew, let's try Matthew 15:21-28

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, that was a challenge. Apparently there's a stray S in this that the program doesn't like, but I can't see it.

---

The Hope of a Woman from Another Land

God's Son left that place and went away to two towns much further away, on the water's edge. Just then a woman from that area came out and started shouting, ‘Please help me, Son of God; my daughter is being hurt by a really bad being that none can see.’ But he did not answer her at all. And his friends came and tried to make him change his mind, saying, ‘Send her away, for she keeps shouting after us.’ He answered, ‘I was sent only to the lost people of God's own land.’ But she came and sat before him, saying, ‘Son of God, help me.’ He answered, ‘It is not right to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.’ She said, ‘Yes, Son of God, yet even the dogs eat the bits that fall from their family's table.’ Then God's Son answered her, ‘Woman, great is your hope and you really do think that this can happen! Let it be done for you as you wish.’ And her daughter was better at once.

Pdslm 63: 1-5

(If you're really up for a challenge, feel free to try the whole thing)

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
21 The Son of God left that place and went away to a close land.
22 Just then a woman from that place came out and started shouting, ‘Be kind to me, High Teacher, Son of The Loved; my daughter is hurt by a very bad air-animal from under the land.’
23 But he did not answer her at all. And his students came and talked to him, saying, ‘Send her away, for she keeps shouting at us.’
24 He answered, ‘I was sent only to the lost animals of the house of my father, The Loved.’
25 But she came and sat down before him, saying, ‘Teacher, help me.’
26 He answered, ‘It is wrong to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.’
27 She said, ‘Yes, Teacher, yet even the dogs eat the little things that fall from their owner’s table.’
28 Then the Son of God answered her, ‘Woman, great is your trust! Let it be done for you as you wish.’ And her daughter was made not sick right then.

("David"="darling"="The Loved")

Ezekiel 1:4-13

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

4 Then I looked, and wow, a strong turning wind was coming out of the cold part of the world, water drops in the air which made it hard to see, with a very strong fire that ate it up; and it gave a strong light, and light coming out of its middle like the color of red and brown, out of the middle of the fire.
5 Also from within it came what looked like four living animals. And this was how they looked: they looked like a man.
6 Each one had four faces, and each one had four things to fly with.
7 Their legs were straight, and the bottom of their feet were like the those of baby animals, in two parts. They were bright like the color of brown hard stuff that you get from the ground.
8 The hands of a man were under their flying arms on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and flying arms.
9 Their flying arms touched one another. Each being did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.
10 As for their how their faces looked, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of an animal which eats another animal on the right side, each of the four had the face of an animal which eats green stuff on the left side, and each of the four had the face of a being which can fly.
11 That is how their faces were. Their flying arms faced the sky ; two flying arms of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies.
12 And each one went straight forward; they went to the places the God wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.
13 As for how each living being looked, they looked like burning hard things of fire, looked like burning tall wood going and coming where each living being was. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went strong sudden light and fire.

Exodus 5 1-5

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Exodus 5 1-5

Sorry, missed the edit period.

--------------------

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Exodus 5, 1-5
After that the man who was to lead God's people to their new land and his brother went to the person who had power in the land where God's people were not free and said, “This is what the God of our people says: ‘Free my people so that they may eat food for me in a very dry place like people who are on a long trip. But the man who held power in that place said, “Who is this God that I should do what he says by setting your people free? I do not know this God, and I will not set you free!” And they said, “The God of our people has met with us. Let us take a three-day trip into the very dry place so that we may kill some animals in order to please our God, so that he does not make us very sick or kill us.” The person who had power in the land where God's people were not free said to them, “You two brothers, why do you cause the people to stop their work? Return to your work!” The man who held such power was thinking, “The people of the land are now many, and you are giving them rest from their work.”

How about John 15: 1-8

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

“I am the true climbing tree that gives food and my Father looks after the trees. He takes away every tree part that does not give food in me. He cuts every tree part that does give food so that it will give more food. You are clean already because of the word that I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. Just as the tree part can't give food alone if it doesn't remain in the climbing tree, so can't either if you don't remain in me.

“I am the climbing tree; you are the tree parts. The one who remains in me – and I in him – gives much food, because without me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is thrown out like a tree part, and dries up; and such tree parts are brought together and thrown into the fire, and are burned up. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you. My Father gets his good name from this, that you give much food and show that you follow me.

~~
And how about: Hebrews 13:1-6

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Love between sisters and brothers must continue. Do not forget to look after people in your home, because through it some have had flying people from the sky sent by God to visit them without their knowing that was who they were. Remember those who are locked up as though you were locked up with them, and those who have bad things happening to them as though you too felt their bad things happening. Being joined to another person for life must be kept as right and good thing in all eyes and the bed for those two people kept clean, for God will not be pleased with people who do bad things in bed and people who sleep with another person's wife or man. You must be free from the love of money and you must be happy with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you and I will never go away from you and leave you all alone.” So we can say and be sure that we are right in saying it: “God helps me, and I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Ariel set us a killer one which got missed out (surely not deliberately [Biased] ) further up the page. So who fancies a go at
Psalm 63:1-5

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

You, God, are my God,
seriously I look for you;
I want you very much,

my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and dried up land
where there is no water.

2 I have seen you in the inside room of the place where we talk to God and seen what you can do and the wonder of you.

3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will say how good you are.

4 I will say how good you are you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.

5 I will be full and happy as with the best of foods; my mouth will say good things about you in song.

I shall now lie down in a darkened room!

Psalm 63 6-10

[ 28. January 2013, 07:18: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Done! The biggest problem is "wings".

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I make music with my voice in the shadow of what helps to you fly.
I stay very close to you;
your right hand stops me falling down.
Those who want to kill me will become nothing;
they will go down to the bottom of the world.
They will be given over to get cut up
and become food for the dog-like animals.
But the man who has power over the land will be very happy in God;
all who make promises in God's name will show off because of him,
while the mouths of people who say things that aren't true will be silenced.

I think this one might be tricky, but it's one of my favourite bits, so...

Phil 3:7-14

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

But whatever were things which made me feel better off to me I now consider the not so because of God's Son. What is more, I consider everything something which makes me less well off because of the much greater good I get of knowing God's Son my great one, for which I have lost all things. I consider them no good, that I may get God's Son instead and be found in him, not having a right being of my own that comes from doing what I am told to do , but that which is through believing in God's Son —the right being that comes from God because of believing. I want to know God's Son—yes, to know the power of his coming back to life after he died and taking part in the bad things which happened to him and hurt him, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, being given chance of the coming back to lie again from the dead.
Not that I have already got all this, or have already arrived at my hope, but I press on to take hold of that for which God's Son took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching toward what is ahead, I press on toward what I hope for; to get the thing given to the person who comes first for which God has called me towards His place in the sky in the name of His son.

Not sure whether the simplified vocabulary actually helps make the content any easier to follow!

Nice short one next - should be a bit easier to do [Biased] James 2:25-26

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the same way, was not even Son of God's second great great great mother, who gave her body for money, considered very good for what she did when she let the men who see hidden things stay with her and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without God's breath is dead, so trusting in God without doing something about it is death.

Egads, Rahab was difficult to work out. (Tamar was the first, Rahab the second, Ruth the third Bathsheba the fourth)

So because I'm sure you'll like a challenge

Acts 2v1-13

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ceannaideach:
Acts 2v1-13

I may have cheated slightly, but I think it keeps the overall meaning...

quote:
When day 50 came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like really strong wind came from the sky and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that parted and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with God and began to speak in other tongues as God showed them.

Now there were staying in Gods City God-fearing People from every place under the sky. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in shock, because each one heard their own tongue being used. Well amazed, they asked: “Are not all these who are speaking from round here? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our own tongue? We are from all over the world, from many weird places with strange names, and we speak many tongues, and yet we hear them telling the wonders of God in our own tongues!” Amazed and confused, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

(note: "Pentecost" literally means "the fiftieth day" [Smile] )

How about a nice tale of God's mercy: Amos 7:1-6 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what the God with total power showed me: He was getting together lots and lots of the little flying animals that eat everything, when the most important man in the land's share of the food had been brought in and just as the food that grows late was coming up.

When they had eaten everything in the land so there was nothing left, I cried out, “God with all power, don't make them pay for the things they do wrong! How can the one who fought you keep on living? He is so small!”

So God changed his mind.

“This will not happen,” God said.

This is what the God with total power showed me: The God with total power was calling for fire to hurt people for the bad things they do; it dried up the great deep and ate up the land. Then I cried out, “God with all power, I ask you please, stop! How can How can the one who fought you keep on living? He is so small!”

So God changed his mind.

“This will not happen either,” the God with total power said.

Next: Gen 15:1-6

--------------------

Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this game. [Smile]

Abram means "High-Father". Eliezer means "Help of God". I gave up on Damascus!

After this, the word of God came to High-Father in a day-dream: “Do not be afraid, High-Father. I am your keep-safe. your very great present for doing good. But High-Father said, “Highest God, what can you give me since I remain without children and the one who will get my land when I die is Help-of-God from a far city?”
And High-Father said, “You have given me no children; so a person who works for me in my house will get my things when I die.” Then the word of God came to him: “This man will not get your things, but a son who is your own body and blood will get your things”

He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and number the stars—if you can number them.” Then he said to him, “So many will your children be.” High-Father believed God, and he marked it up to him as right being.

1 Corinthians 1: 1-3

[ 28. January 2013, 23:24: Message edited by: Just Me ]

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Just Me
Shipmate
# 14937

- Posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoyed being able to get away with "number the stars" but not with "count the stars"

J

Posts: 104 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

1. From your smallest brother, called to be a student of the Son of God by the will of God, and also our strong brother,
2 To the house of God in the small piece of land, to those who the Son of God owns and called to be his own people, together with all those in every place who call on the name of our Owner the Son of God – their own Owner and ours:
3 All good things to you from God our Father and our Owner the Son of God.

(Paul is related to Latin "paulus," "few;" "Sosthenes," Greek for "Safe in His Strength;" Corinth, or really the Isthmus of Corinth, should be obvious enough to anyone who lives there, though maybe not to us)

1 Kings 20:1-11

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

(Because I like a challenge...)

Now the most important man in the land close by to our land got all his forces together (his name means he loves his god and his god is not the same as our God); he had two and three times ten important men with him, with horses pulling the open cars that fighting men ride in.

And he went up and put fighting men all around our biggest city so no one could come in or go out, and fought against it. Then he sent people into the city to talk to the most important man in our land, to tell him, “This is what our important man says: ‘All your money and your nice stuff are mine; your most beautiful wives and children are mine.’”

And the most important man in our land answered and said, “You are such an important man with so much power that I will do just as you say, I and all that I have are yours.”

Then the people who were sent to talk to him came back and said, “This is what our important man says , ‘This is the truth: I have sent to you, saying, “You will hand over to me your money and your nice stuff, your wives and your children”; but I will send the people who work for me to you tomorrow about this time, and they will search your house and the houses of the people who work for you. And it will be, that all things that you like looking at, they will put them in their hands and take them away.’”

So the most important man in our land called all the people of the land who were old and knew lots of things, and said, “Notice, please, and see how this man is looking for trouble, for he sent to me for my wives, my children, my money, and all my stuff; and I didn't say no.”

And all the old people who knew lots of things and all the people said to him, “Do not listen or agree to it.”

So he said to the people the other important man had sent, “Tell the important man with lots of power, ‘All that you asked me for the first time I will do, like a person who works for you and does what you say, but this thing I can't do.’”

And the people who he had sent went back and brought back word to him.

Then the important man from the other land (I already told you what his name means) sent to him and said, “The gods do so to me, and more also, after your land is all ground up, if there's enough for for each of the people who follow me to fill their hand with what's left.”

So the important man from our land answered and said, “Tell him, ‘You should show off after the fight, not before."

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

So, since we didn't get a new passage, how about this one? Admittedly, it's a bit edited, but you don't want all 34 verses, do you?

Job 41:1, 8-9, 12-18, 33-34

--------------------

latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit full of "thing"s but the best I could do.

Can you draw out a big wet live thing with a not-in-line thing to catch a small wet live thing, or press down its tongue with a line made of short lines Lay hands on it; think of the fight; you will not do it again! Any hope of getting it in a place it can not get out of will be put down; were not even the gods made to feel small at the sight of it? I will not keep silence concerning its legs and arms, or its big power, or its great body. Who can pull off its outer clothes? Who can get into its two safe covers? Who can open the doors of its face? There is big fear all around its teeth. Its back is made of guards held in front in lines, shut up tight as if with a stuff to stick paper with. One is so near to another that no air can come between them. They are joined one to another; they hold each other tight and can not be made to come into more than one part. Its rushes of air coming out fast from its nose flash out light, and its eyes are like the eye covers of the time when the sun comes up.

Try Magnificat

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The Happy Song of God's son's mother.

And God's son's mother said,
‘My inside-being makes great the big God,
and my being is happy in God who saved me,
for he has looked with a kind heart on the one who waits on him down here.
I am sure that from now on people of all ages will call me especially picked by God;
for the Most Strong One has done great things for me,
and his name is to be held as not like any other.
His gentle side is for those who fear him
from age to age.
He has shown how strong he is with his arm;
he has cut up those people who think a lot of themselves in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the people who have power from their great high seats,
and lifted up those who have little power;
he has filled the people who are empty with good things,
and sent away empty those who have more than enough.
He has helped the people he picked to wait upon him
by remembering his kind acts,
standing by the promise he made to our parents and those who went before them,
to the father of our people and to his children for ever.’

Quite pleased with this one, to be honest..., bits of it, at least.

From one extreme to another, let's try: Isaiah 13: 6-9

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

Isaiah 13, 6-9

Cry out, for the day of God is near;
it will come from God like the end of everything!
And because of it all hands will not be strong,
and every human heart will stop working,
and they will be sad and afraid.
Pain and then more pain will come upon them;
they will be in pain like a woman having a baby.
They will look at one another, shocked and sad;
their faces will be red and hot.
See, the day of God is coming,
bringing pain, anger, and even stronger anger,
to bring about the end of the world ,
and to kill those people in it who do bad things.

Quite pleased with that one: it's a bit repetitive (especially of 'pain') but it doesn't sound too 'forced'.

How about Luke 2, 25-32 for Candlemas?

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

25 And see, there was a man in God's city named "He Has Heard," and this man was just and good, waiting for the Great Person of God's Land, and the Light of God was upon him.
26 And it had been shown to him by God that he would not see death before he had seen God's Son.
27 So he came by the Light of God into the place of God. And when the parents brought in the Child, the Son of God, to do for Him as God asked his people to do,
28 he took Him up in his arms and gave thanks to God and said:
29 “Great One, now You are letting Your own man go without worry
As You said he would;
30 For my eyes have seen Your life-giving Son
31 Who You have shown before the face of all peoples,
32 A light to bring Your Word to everyone,
And good things to Your people in Your land.”

2 Samuel 13:28-33

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Good grief, Ariston!

Now the third son of the man named "loved one" had given orders to those who waited upon him, saying, “Watch now, when my eldest brother's heart is glad with drink, and when I say to you, ‘Hit my eldest brother!’ then kill him. Do not be afraid. Have I not told you? Have no fear and be strong enough to do it.” So the people who waited upon the third son did to his elder brother as he had ordered them to do. Then all the sons of the man named "loved one" got up, and each one got on his ass and ran away.

And it came to pass, while they were on the way, that news came to the man named "loved one", saying, “Your third son has killed all your other sons, and not one of them is left!” So he got up and tore his clothes and lay on the ground, and all who waited upon him stood by with their clothes torn. Then his brother's son, answered and said, “Let not the man who has power over me suppose they have killed all the young men, your sons, for only the oldest son is dead. For by the order of son number three this has been set out from the day that he forced his sister. Now for that reason, do not take the thing to heart, to think that all your sons are dead. For only the first son is dead.”

Psalm 93

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh - this could get addictive

The most high is the top man, an air of might is round him; The most high is dressed, He has put might round himself. Is it not sure that the world is in place, so that it can not be moved. 2 Your seat of power is set up from of old; You are here from ever-lasting. 3 The too-deep waters have lifted up, most high, The too-deep waters have lifted up their voice; The too-deep waters lift up their waves. 4 The most high is more strong than the noise of many waters, than the strong waves of the great waters. 5 The words you speak are very sure; Your house is dressed in bright light, most high for ever.

Matthew 6 25-34

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

25 So I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink,* or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than things to wear? 26Look at the animals that fly of the air; they do not grow food and do not keep it in a building , and yet your Father on high gives them food. Are you not more to him than they? 27And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your length of life?* 28And why do you worry about what to wear? Consider the things growing in the field, how they grow; they do not work outside or inside, 29yet I tell you, even the most high man at his best did not wear things like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the thing growing in the field, which lives today and tomorrow is burned, will he not give you better things to wear—you who believe so little ? 31Therefore do not worry, saying, “What will we eat?” or “What will we drink?” or “What will we wear?” 32For it is the people not like us who work hard for all these things; and it is sure that your Father on high knows that you need all these things. 33But first work hard for the land of God to come* and his* idea of what is right, and all these things will be given to you as well.
34 So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. The troubles of today are enough for today.

John 1. 43-51

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

43 The following day the Son of God wanted to go to his home town, and He found the Horse-Friend and said to him, “Follow Me.”
44 Now the Horse-Friend was from the City of the Life-Giving Water, the city of The Man and The Rock.
45 Horse-Friend found Given-of-God and said to him, “We have found Him who our old father in the Book, and also those far-seeing men after him, wrote—God-Saves of the Strong City, the son of God-Gives-More.”
46 And Given-of-God said to him, “Can anything good come out of that city?”
Horse-Friend said to him, “Come and see.”
47 The Son of God saw Given-of-God coming toward Him, and said of him, “Look, you are one of my people, and one who does not lie!”
48 Given-of-God said to Him, “How do You know me?”
The Son of God answered and said to him, “Before Horse-Friend called you, when you were sitting under the tree, I saw you.”
49 Given-of-God answered and said to Him, “Teacher, You are the Son of God! You are the High One of God's Land!”
50 The Son of God answered and said to him, “Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.”
51 And He said to him, “I do not lie when I say to you, one day soon you will see the City Above the Sky open, and those who help God will be going up and down to the Son of Man.”

(As always, translating proper names is the hardest part, especially when they all have "God" in them)

Amos 8:4-7, 9-10

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016