homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Papal name game (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Papal name game
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simple rule: propose the papal name the next pope will take. Whoever posts the correct name first on this thread, wins this game.

Only one guess per punter: if you change your mind and post a new guess on the thread, your previous guess is freed up for someone else to take. Be courteous and point out if this is the case.

(Where a papal name has been used before, see the list here, the correct Roman numeral must be added! If we have pope "Anastasius V" and you guessed "Anastasius", it will not count as a win; and if somebody else said "Anastasius V" after you, they win. The game is to guess the correct papal name.)

---

As my guess, I propose Pope Leo XIV.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I propose Boniface X

I assume you can guess why [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

- Posted      Profile for Lymasa   Email Lymasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going with Hilarius II . The church could use some lightening up.

--------------------
I wish I were a jellyfish
That cannot fall down stairs. . .
GK Chesterton

Posts: 191 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gregory XVII -- I have no idea why.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robertus Liverpolitanae
Shipmate
# 12011

- Posted      Profile for Robertus Liverpolitanae   Email Robertus Liverpolitanae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John XXIV

--------------------
Once the Government approves something, it stops being immoral
Rev Tim Lovejoy

Posts: 558 | From: homeward bound | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen X

I would love for the next pope to call himself Innocent, but that would be too inviting.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clement XV

[ 23. February 2013, 14:40: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pope Francis as it would be a change.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's already a thread pretty much exactly like this one in Heaven right now, and, since it's pretty much established at this point, I think it has Threadly Primacy. My powers to bind and unbind may not work in Heaven, but they do here.
Thread CLOSED
—Ariston, Hostifex Maximus

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it seems there's been a conclave, and this thread got elected re-Popened. And so it is.
-A, Decaffeinated Circus Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pope Pius X111

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My logic for Boniface is that the last pope to follow a resignee was called Boniface. Cons being he was roundly accused of simony, pros being he was very important in the development of cannon law.

[ 24. February 2013, 14:50: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Splendid. I am quietly confident of a Clementine succession (what you might call the orange order).

I will get on with scanning the cardinalate to decide on my hot date.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Paul III.

You never know...

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Benedict XVII

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
My logic for Boniface is that the last pope to follow a resignee was called Boniface. Cons being he was roundly accused of simony, pros being he was very important in the development of cannon law.

That sounds like the infamous Boniface VIII; however, about a century later, there was a Boniface IX, who wasn't any better. I think the name may be cursed.

Oh, and much as I may love Augustine, history and Paddy Power tell me not to bet on it. How about, oh, Innocent XIV? John Paul is currently a name reserved for one person alone, Benedict was just used, John and Paul are associated with the Popes of Vatican II, which a politically conscious pope would realize is still a bit of a political issue, leaving us with Leo (taken), Gregory (Ditto), Pius (also taken, and controversial), Clement (see above), and Innocent. I'm going with the most recently used of the likely choices that's still available. Not the one I think most likely (that'd be Leo or Gregory), but so it goes.

[ 24. February 2013, 21:08: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a brief reminder that you need to lock in those Roman numerals. [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Victor IV, for reasons on the other thread.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pope Ariston, because he's such a softie and gave in. [Axe murder]

But the serious suggestion, as on the other thread, is Alexander IX.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Just a brief reminder that you need to lock in those Roman numerals. [Biased]

Forget that, I'm just going to sticky this thread and wait until I win!

Duly edited—make mine Innocent XIV

(Man, all these pope threads mean I have all the Wikipedia lists of papal names and popes by dates on speed dial. Really, if anyone wants to play pontifical trivia, just know that, at this point, you won't win)

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'll play!

Lando II. Just because!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Pope Pius X111

God, I bloody hope so, but more likely Leo XIV

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Pope Pius X111

God, I bloody hope so, but more likely Leo XIV
Trisagion, I already booked Leo XIV in the OP... If you want to play, you have to pick a different name.

--------------------

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I don't think it will be, I'd like to see Adrian. Adrian VII. It is a good strong name, and recognizable to modern ears. But it is also old enough that it doesn't come with a ton of baggage.

Julius IV wouldn't be bad either. I'm also partial to Felix, but there would be issues with numbering because two of the five popes with that name are now considered antipopes; could be awkward.

Someone upthread said Victor; that would be good too.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

For convenience, here's the list so far:
  • Adrian VII - Jon in the Nati
  • Alexander IX - Chorister
  • Benedict XVII - Dal Segno
  • Boniface X - Doublethink
  • Clement XV - Firenze
  • Francis - Net Spinster
  • Gregory XVII - Pigwidgeon
  • Hilarius II - Lymasa
  • Innocent XIV - Ariston
  • John XXIV - Robertus Liverpolitanae
  • John Paul III - Nicolemr
  • Lando II - jedijudy
  • Leo XIV - IngoB
  • Pius XIII - Boogie
  • Stephen X - Schroedinger's cat
  • Victor IV - balaam

--------------------

ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zachary II

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul VII

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... a Clementine succession (what you might call the orange order) ...

[Killing me] [Killing me] We'll have No Popery Here! [Big Grin]

Being frivolous, I'm going with Sixtus VI (although I don't fancy trying to say it).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anastasius V

I like the name and IV seemed a good egg.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin VI

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julius IV for me please

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trevor I
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
Trevor I

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if there are bishops named Trevor, I don't see why there can't be a Pope.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
[Killing me] [Killing me] We'll have No Popery Here! [Big Grin]

Or the more less strident more North Down version: No Pot Pouri.

I wasn't playing, IngoB, merely expressing a preference. Your remark has spurred me into choosing a name: Urban IX

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Sorry for the double-post, but in view of BXVI's almost unprecedented abdication, I'll change my pick to Celestine VI

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Having just listened carefully to the habemus papam of John Paul I, I note that LatA is correct and it would indeed be "Pope Trevor I" and not just "Pope Trevor".

Given that this is not obvious, and given that the Wikipedia list I posted in the OP misleadingly does not list the "I" numeral for the first usage of a name, I think we should relax the "exact Roman numeral" requirement for new names only.

However, [Overused] to LatA for getting it right.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another, and new, double name?

John Benedict I

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

I've just noticed that in composite names with "John", "John" has to come first or the name sucks. I have no idea why though. Psycho-linguists to the rescue?

Anyway, entries up to this point:
  • Adrian VII - Jon in the Nati
  • Alexander IX - Chorister
  • Anastasius V - PeteC
  • Benedict XVII - Dal Segno
  • Boniface X - Doublethink
  • Celestine VI - Trisagion
  • Clement XV - Firenze
  • Francis I - Net Spinster
  • Gregory XVII - Pigwidgeon
  • Hilarius II - Lymasa
  • Innocent XIV - Ariston
  • John XXIV - Robertus Liverpolitanae
  • John Benedict I - agingjb
  • John Paul III - Nicolemr
  • Julius IV - Heavenly Anarchist
  • Lando II - jedijudy
  • Leo XIV - IngoB
  • Martin VI - Mary LA
  • Paul VII - Gwai
  • Pius XIII - Boogie
  • Sixtus VI - piglet
  • Stephen X - Schroedinger's cat
  • Trevor I - Left at the Altar
  • Victor IV - balaam
  • Zachary II - ebeth

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
Another, and new, double name?

John Benedict I

Or even John Paul Benedict I? Or John Paul George Ringo I?

That's the trouble, there are so many unfortunate names. Innocent and Pius would get sniggers from cynical English-speakers. The only Alexander anybody really knows of is the less than saintly Alexander VI. Sadly Adeodatus is unlikely - people would be saying, "Who does he think he is? God's gift?" Adrian VII might be seen as a reference to the rather louche novel by Frederick Rolfe. And so on and so on.

Since he'll be starting his reign near Easter, I'll go for Paschal III. (There was an antipope Paschal III. What do antipopes do to the numbering of the genuine article?)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Since he'll be starting his reign near Easter, I'll go for Paschal III. (There was an antipope Paschal III. What do antipopes do to the numbering of the genuine article?)

I think that in general antipopes (or indeed, imaginary popes...) are ignored in the numbering, if this is possible. Thus Antipope Benedict XIII does not hinder Pope Benedict XIII. However, the correct Roman numeral is always determined by the last real pope of the same name. Thus Pope John XXI skipped "John XX" believing that there was a bookkeeping error that missed out on a pope, and thereby in fact committed a bookkeeping error himself. But counting then continued with "John XXII" (correct as per "John XXI", even if incorrect concerning the entire series of "Johns").

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to go for Marcellus III.

This is on the theory that Cardinal Marc Ouellet is a frontrunner in the papal stakes, and may even want to keep his own name, or some variant thereof.

I may change my mind about this over the course of the next couple of weeks...

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, have you said what the prize will be? I'm assuming it will be round-trip airfare, lodging, and front row seats for the enthronement.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for Pope Malachy I.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. Given the relative likelihood of there being a candidate of African origin who takes it, I could see Pope Augustine I happening.

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since most of the more likely names are taken, I'm going the sentimental route and choosing Pope Martin Philip I for two of my favorite saints- St. Martin de Porres and St. Philip Neri.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are their any popes named Peter since St. Peter (the first Pope?)

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
Are their any popes named Peter since St. Peter (the first Pope?)

Nope.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if Trisaigon's not using it, I'll nab [B]Urban IX/B]. I've always thought Urban is a nice name.

[ 27. February 2013, 14:10: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. Bad coding, sorry, should be Urban IX.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016