homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you had to do without.... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If you had to do without....
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real ale or real coffee

which would it be?

Naturally, the person who answers sets up a new similar conundrum.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're a coffee-drinker who dislikes alcohol, can you still answer? Because the "hates booze" thing kind of removes the element of dilemna for me.

Anyway, if it's okay, I'll answer Real Ale, obviously.

Sports or politics? (As things that you follow for enjoyment)

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too easy. My life would be almost entirely unchanged were competitive sports to disappear from the universe tomorrow.

Cheese or Chocolate

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chocolate, easily - I love cheese.
Salt or pepper?

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprisingly, cheese. I really enjoy chocolate but a lack of cheese would punch a big hole in my menu.

TV or internet (for recreation)?

ETA: rats! Pepper.

[ 25. February 2013, 14:57: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Telly. I can watch telly on tintertubes anyway so I wouldn't lose out.

Within telly,

Comedy or Drama

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could do without comedy, it's often too 'in your face'. I prefer the subtle humour which is in many dramas eg. Shakespeare, Alan Bennett plays. But, should I be only confined to serious drama, I'm able to find humour in many things myself without needing someone to do it for me. And you can get entirely caught up in the story with drama, taken out of yourself and everyday worries.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummmm.... Chorister, would you like to set a new question? [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, whoopsie [Hot and Hormonal]

Radio 4 or Radio 2

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Difficult choice ....

I listen to both pretty equally, but I will go for Radio 2.

jumper or cardigan?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have loads of jumpers but no cardigans.

The only prob with jumpers is that they mess up my hair when removing said clothing.

sugar or sweeteners

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pjl:

sugar or sweeteners

No contest - artificial sweeteners are creatures of the sixth circle.

Mozart or Bach?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never really been able to appreciate Bach, so I'm afraid I'd have to give him the push. Mozart, by contrast, is wonderful.

Christmas day or Easter day

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter day. Not the mystery of the resurrection, but the day itself: we've been up all night doing an awesome* Vigil, and then we have to get up and do a gazillion packed masses for people that only go to church twice year?

staples or paperclips?

--
*In the proper sense of the word. (And the popular sense...)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could easily do without paperclips, or paper-thieves as my first ever boss called them.

hot drinks or cold drinks

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hot drinks

I have to cool my coffee down almost to ice coffee to gulp it down; I'm a champion tongue burner.

Holidays: abroad or domestic?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to keep abroad - that's where all the family is.

Pillow or Duvet?

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duvet - a pillow can't keep you warm.

Diary or smartphone?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can do without a smartphone - I don't have a mobile [Smile]
Apples or pears?

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apples are to acidic for me so it has to be pears.

Anyway you can't beat a fine pear.

skimmed milk or full cream milk

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've already ditched the full cream as I'm dieting.
Tomatoes or olives?

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Shipmate
# 76

Olives are made of candle wax impregnated with salt, so are very very easy to give up. It's eating the revolting little bogeys that's difficult.

Purgatory or Hell?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hell please, so long as you don't call me there!

Digital camera or film?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

I think 99% of us are already doing without film. We need to be careful this doesn't just become a list of preferences or the hosts'll kick it into touch.

Crisps or peanuts?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Peanuts pleas - they are full of protein.

Conundrum or preference?

[Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

Ack, I'll manage without the conundrums because preferences are so much easier on the old brain.

(It's so hard not to get obscene on this game, isn't it....)

recorders or accordians?

("both" is not allowed)

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The recorders can go. Those high notes puncture my brain somehow. And zydeco cant do without accordians.

"Amazing Grace" or "Kumbayyah"

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do without accordians. Recorders are so much easier to play.

Rice or pasta?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cross-post question: Pearlie, or Ken
[Biased]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Methinks P4BS got there first.

And since Kumbayyah or however you spell it is so God-awful it makes Amazing Grace seem like Bach's Mass in B Minor, this is an easy conundrum, and into the pit that wretched little childrhood ditty goes. It can have Away in a Sodding Manger for company.

Telephone or Email

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Telephone without a doubt. Emails are easier to ignore!

Socks or underwear?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The socks have to go - you only need them for half the year anyway (unless you're one of those English people who wears them with your sandals I suppose [Biased] ) but you need knickers all year round

Dogs or cats

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats can go - they're just users, whereas dogs offer love.

Peanut butter or marmite?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Isn't that really just asking "American" or "British?" We don't have Marmite, except in imports shops or the British foods sections of supermarkets, and peanut butter's pretty durn hard to find anywhere but the States (and possibly Canada).
2. But, to the point, have you ever tasted marmite? Second worst thing I've ever eaten—and number one was multi-legged, alive, and trying to bite my tongue before I bit it in half and unleashed the Yuk. You do weird things working at science museums.

Cake or pie?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Believe me, there is no problem finding peanut butter anywhere in the UK. I hadn't realised marmite was in quite such a UK niche, but agree that it certainly ought to be segregated from anyone with working taste buds.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

The pie can go - pastry is too filling, I'd rather have what's inside, on its own. But cake, especially ginger or lemon drizzle is D.I.VINE.

red wine or white wine?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Red (white is insipid and doesn't give such a nice hangover).

Frozen pizza or fresh pizza?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd do without frozen pizza. I would have to order in fresh more often, then.......

Books or Magazines

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could do without magazines. Even if academic journals went with them (which would really be bad) - books are too important to toss!

mp3s/mp4s or jpegs

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

mp3s/mp4s or jpegs

The mpegs can go. A picture is worth a thousand words, but video takes too long.

While we're at it, we can consign people who think "podcasts" or videocasts are a useful way of transmitting information to oblivion. I don't find a five minute video of you reading a paragraph of text at all helpful.

Lunch or Dinner?

[ 26. February 2013, 21:20: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lunch. Much as I like it, I like dinner more, and there's usually more time to enjoy it.

Jagger or Lennon?

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to go with Lennon, if only because I'm a bigger Stones fan now than I am a Beatles fan. And I'm not all that enamoured of Lennon's solo work, which I find tends toward the didactic(yes, I'm looking at YOU, Imagine).

Andy Warhol or Jackson Pollock?

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

- Posted      Profile for Lymasa   Email Lymasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tough one for me since I'm not mad about either of them. Of the two, I'd keep Pollock and bid Warhol adieu.

For takeaway food: Chinese or Indian?

--------------------
I wish I were a jellyfish
That cannot fall down stairs. . .
GK Chesterton

Posts: 191 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd order Chinese for the huge range of flavours and textures. It's also dairy-free so Stick Monitrix can eat it too.

Black Ink or Blue Ink?

Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, that's a toughie, since I use a very nice blue-black (Organics Studio Magnetite V, made locally (!), for all you other fountain pen nuts out there)—but, since I've such a soft spot for Visconti Blue (think Yves Klein blue), I'm going to go with black.

GIN, or Real Ale?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gin (makes me maudlin- and you wouldn't want me maudlin' all over your guests...).

France or Italy?

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Italy - far superior wines [Smile]

mug or teacup?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
teacup... for the simple reason that granny might come 'round any minute for a cuppa and she frowns upon mugs.

beach or mountains (for holidays) ?

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mountains. because I have them the rest of the time, so beaches are a treat!

hmm...

silk or cashmere?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do love the mountains but as I'm getting older [Roll Eyes] and the knees are getting weaker, it'd need to be one with a cablecar and I'm a bit scared of heights. Besides which, mountain holidays generally mean Scotland or abroad, whereas you can get to the beach so much more easily. So I could do without mountains, but I really miss living by the beach.

Driving or walking

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016