homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tat for Atheists (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tat for Atheists
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
For anyone who's not keeping up: "scientismist" = "person who I can't get to agree that my subjective experience is equivalent to hard empirical evidence."

WRONG!!! But I can't be bothered to argue with someone who's being deliberately disingenuous.
Mark, I've yet to hear anything from you that convinces me that your use of the term differs in any significant manner from what I've described.

But feel free to ascribe your inability to communicate the distinction with disingenuity on my part. It saves you from having to make any kind of watertight case, at least.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
That's what you call "being disingenuous", and I see a lot of it on here, especially coming from scientismists/atheists, like SusanDoris and Porridge.

I'm not a scientismist.
Well, if you are an atheist but you aren't a scientismist, where does your moral code come from?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mark, I've yet to hear anything from you that convinces me that your use of the term differs in any significant manner from what I've described.

But feel free to ascribe your inability to communicate the distinction with disingenuity on my part. It saves you from having to make any kind of watertight case, at least.

(Sigh!) It's like having to spoon feed a baby:

Wiki article on Scientism

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Wiki article on Scientism

I thought you couldn't be bothered to argue? Please keep your promises!

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I suppose it's too much to hope for, that you might just shut up and read it!

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I suppose it's too much to hope for, that you might just shut up and read it!
I know what scientism means. I'm talking about the way you use it on here.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
That's what you call "being disingenuous", and I see a lot of it on here, especially coming from scientismists/atheists, like SusanDoris and Porridge.

I'm not a scientismist.
Well, if you are an atheist but you aren't a scientismist, where does your moral code come from?
Who says I have a moral code? Quit spreading dirty rumors!

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not a scientismist.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I am looking out of the window for the horsemen of the Apocalypse (unlikely to see them flying past the fifth floor on the courtyard side, I suppose, but still...) - I agree with Evensong about something.

I'm sure Susan Doris is a perfectly nice lady but her debate style is like whackamole. She pops up over and over and over and over again, saying exactly the same thing, no matter how many times people engage with her to tell why it's a strawman argument. It gets tedious.

Mark Betts [[LIKES]] this.
Of course you like this. It describes your debate style perfectly. The difference being SD actually debates* as opposed to merely spewing pejoratives.

*In accordance with the guidelines of offering a definition of unfamiliar words...
quote:
debate- a contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's more like the baby has grabbed the spoon and is flinging apple sauce all over the kitchen.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Of course you like this. It describes your debate style perfectly. The difference being SD actually debates* as opposed to merely spewing pejoratives.

*In accordance with the guidelines of offering a definition of unfamiliar words...
quote:
debate- a contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.

Quotes File.

[ 07. February 2013, 12:24: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I was any good at being witty, but I'm afraid that wasn't in my genes, so I do hope you can imagine some clever comment I might have made if I was! [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I've a foot in both camps as I agree with some of the criticisms of SusanDoris. But I don't think she's inane. I think she's cheerfully confident of her worldview, and I think that gets up a lot of people's noses - as cheerful confidence about anything usually does. I also think she adds something useful to the boards by way of discussion.

Thank you, and yes you're right, it's all in the genes! And at my age, I don't have time to be gloomy!
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Dammit, Susan! Why can't you be wracked with self-doubt like a proper Ship of Fools theologian?!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Look at SusanDoris. She's an incurable optimist! With cute shoes! She uses lots of smilies [Smile] ! What's not to love?

Ah, now here I have to tell you that the feet aren't mine. Someone found them on the internet for me years ago for my avatar! *wonders whether to add a smiley*
quote:
You can get so used to her woolly-headed persona that, unless you look closely, you may miss the slight edge of madness in the constant smile... and the fact that she is always trying to push you off a cliff.
[Big Grin] Smiley unavoidable here.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
So you are unable to see that the majority of faithful Christians on this ship do not believe God and science/nature/creation are incompatible or mutually exclusive?

On the contrary, I think I can see it clearly and understand it too, since that was my view when young.
quote:
For anyone who's not keeping up: "scientismist" = "person who I can't get to agree that my subjective experience is equivalent to hard empirical evidence."

Well, I must say I like that definition!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
(Like anyone is really going to change their mind in a Ship discussion.)

MadGeo did. Well to be precise many Ship discussions over the course of many weeks.

quote:
quote:
I'm not a scientismist.

They all say that.
Only the true Messiah denies his divinity! He is! He is the Messiah!

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Ah, now here I have to tell you that the feet aren't mine. Someone found them on the internet for me years ago for my avatar!

Follow the shoe! Follow the shoe!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if there's a language issue here:
there is a vocabulary that allows *theists in part to qualify statements, talk in the abstract.

We (*theists) may be wilful jerks , or misjudge where compromise is, or presume other groups agree or otherwise foul up. But language allows us to say "Anglicans believe ...", "if Christianity is true then..." or use the 'god' of the ontological proof, or focus on the mundane.*

But with Atheism on the other hand, I'm struggling to find any framing statements that don't devolve into new-speak or sound unnatural.

*I may be wrong here, I only know what I mean and interpret...in which case we have an excuse. And from the atheist perspective things might be reversed.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

MadGeo did. Well to be precise many Ship discussions over the course of many weeks.

That doesn't really surprise me. Mad Geo is exceptional. [Cool]

BTW what did he change his mind about? I know at some point he changed from a Theist to an Atheist, but that may not be it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BTW what did he change his mind about? I know at some point he changed from a Theist to an Atheist, but that may not be it.

He went from being a right-wing, "I did it all by myself and so could you if you weren't so lazy" bootstrap type to admitting that luck plays a huge part in people's success, and having more compassion for people down on theirs.

[ 08. February 2013, 00:09: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
So you are unable to see that the majority of faithful Christians on this ship do not believe God and science/nature/creation are incompatible or mutually exclusive?

On the contrary, I think I can see it clearly and understand it too, since that was my view when young.
So you are being disingenuous then when you present your either or arguments.

Leaf is right. You are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

An no amount of smiley's will hide that [Smile] [Smile]

[Disappointed]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I broke up with the church thanks in large part to the Ship.

probably don't want to use that in the PR, though.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong,

For a post-modernist, you're pretty focused on certain binaries (sincere/disingenuous being the key one here), pretty convinced that your truth is more objective than SusanDoris's or the others posting on this thread, that logic is central (cf. Derrida's decentering), that the motives of the author are important (cf. Roland Bathes, "Death of the Author"), and that "science" or "reason" and "faith" or "religion" are meaningful concepts that exist outside the power-knowledge complexes that create them and can therefore be somehow objectively reconciled (cf. Foucault on, well, anything).

Ceci n'est pas une "How do you like THEM apples?"

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
Ceci n'est pas une

Use English or provide translations.

Even when I applied Google Translate to that one (and got "this is not a"), and recognised the relationship to some Magritte paintings, the overall sentence made little sense. So I don't have high hopes for you producing something in English that's actually worth reading.

But the point is that Shipmates should not be expected to go to Google Translate. They should be able to immediately see whether or not you're talking out of your arse in the Ship's native language.

orfeo
Hellhost

[ 08. February 2013, 01:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" is a Foucault essa, titles after a painting by Rent Magritte. Just a post-modernism joke.
orfeo

# 13878

As Bostonman apparently doesn't know what the word TRANSLATE means, the title of the essay, and of the painting, is "this is not a pipe".

As to what the fuck "this is not a how do you like them apples" means, you're on your own folks.

--------------------

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

Man, I really screwed that one up, didn't I? I could blame typing on a phone rather than a keyboard but the fault is all mine. "This is not a pipe" is is in fact the translation. As for "How do you like them apples?" it's a quote from the movie "Goodwill Hunting"...the protagonist gets the phone number of a girl and holds it up in the window to his rival with the words "Do you like apples? I got her number. How do you like THEM apples?" Sometimes translation can help for American as well as French!
orfeo

# 13878

Honestly, it's like trying to have a discussion with a performing seal...

I know the origins of both halves of your demented sentence, okay? That doesn't automatically mean it makes a lick of sense when you mash the two together.

I'll sign off from this ridiculous exchange now with this thought: Blessed are the poor, for they a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
My apologies. "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" is a Foucault essa, titles after a painting by Rent Magritte. Just a post-modernism joke.

René. Not Rent.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otherwise, though, perfect.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Otherwise, though, perfect.

Not really. I think "titled" and not "titles" is meant.

--------------------

Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

quote:
quote:

René. Not Rent.
Yeah, auto-correct and all that. Clearly I've managed to flush any attempt at a substantive point down the toilet through my own total idiocy in the last few posts and a throwaway sentence/totally nonsensical joke at the end of the one before those.

But hey, the point should stand on its own. Or so the post-modernists would suggest (assuming I could spell their names)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But hey, the point should stand on its own.

If I'd seen the movie you mention and was able to claw my way through your spelling and grammar errors, perhaps.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Who says I have a moral code? Quit spreading dirty rumors!
There, there. A moral code doesn't have to espouse good morals. It can be 99 Theses For Bad Beings (tm), or even be an amoral code. (99 Amoral Aphorisms for Anthropoids?)

Relax!

[ 08. February 2013, 03:36: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Clearly I've managed to flush any attempt at a substantive point down the toilet through my own total idiocy in the last few posts and a throwaway sentence/totally nonsensical joke at the end of the one before those.

Don't worry, you made your point.

Evensong wears Postmodernism like clothes, to dress up the shameful parts of her theology. It is not be taken seriously. Neither is Postmodernism itself, of course. Like most things of French origin, it makes sense only after a bottle or two of good Bordeaux - and causes severe headaches in the morning.

But we were talking about SD, the conversational equivalent of Carroll's Cheshire cat. Well, I do not know if one can behead a grin without a thought...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Nice of you to add a spot of racism into the mix, Ingo.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Nice of you to add a spot of racism into the mix, Ingo.

Typical German.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and then his leg fell off

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not racism, as the French aren't a race. It's bigotry. And the French aren't entirely to blame; the post-structuralists read Heidegger and Nietzsche.

That said, I wish I could get back all the time I wasted reading French literary theory. All you really learn from it is that if you chase your own tail with sufficient exuberance you end up with your head up your ass.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironic really. Nietzsche is the father of nihilism , which is the father of postmodernism

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
It's not racism, as the French aren't a race. It's bigotry.

Thank you, I guess. Actually, it was more low-level national rivalry, the sort that might make orfeo tell jokes about Kiwis and sheep...

quote:
And the French aren't entirely to blame; the post-structuralists read Heidegger and Nietzsche.

Nietzsche at least was a brilliant thinker, whatever else one can say about him. Heidegger is just a demonstration that the most confused shit can be made to appear terribly profound if hidden beneath the cryptic and mysterious but merciless and unending rape of language.

quote:
That said, I wish I could get back all the time I wasted reading French literary theory. All you really learn from it is that if you chase your own tail with sufficient exuberance you end up with your head up your ass.

Well, they do make some valid points about literature. The problem was that they found themselves a new hammer, and then the entire intellectual world appeared as one giant nail to them...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Well, they do make some valid points about literature. The problem was that they found themselves a new hammer, and then the entire intellectual world appeared as one giant nail to them...

[Tear] I actually get this joke.

I credit NDNU.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I blame Bostonman for this sudden spate of erudition.

It's unseemly.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I blame Bostonman for this sudden spate of erudition.

It's unseemly.

...said the postmodernist.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousy,

I think that was an attempt at humor.

I thought it was funny anyway. But then, I thought Ingo was funny too.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether I should simply point out that this from IngoB was the last post about SusanDoris or mention that it started the PoMo/Post-Structuralist tangent.

Anywhere here it is, and this post is no less relevant than the intervening posts.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
I'm wondering if there's a language issue here:
there is a vocabulary that allows *theists in part to qualify statements, talk in the abstract.

We (*theists) may be wilful jerks , or misjudge where compromise is, or presume other groups agree or otherwise foul up. But language allows us to say "Anglicans believe ...", "if Christianity is true then..." or use the 'god' of the ontological proof, or focus on the mundane.*

But with Atheism on the other hand, I'm struggling to find any framing statements that don't devolve into new-speak or sound unnatural.

*I may be wrong here, I only know what I mean and interpret...in which case we have an excuse. And from the atheist perspective things might be reversed.

A very interesting Purg topic, I'm sure. Or at least, something that evolves by page 6 of most Purg threads where theos and atheos start having a go at each other.

That's all from me. Three pages of watching SuDo being trashed is doing my head in. I'm off to drown some kittens.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
Three pages of watching SuDo being trashed is doing my head in.

SuDoKO. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ironic really. Nietzsche is the father of nihilism , which is the father of postmodernism

No it isn't! Modernism is the father of postmodernism; a classic rebellious child response. "You can't tell me what to think, just look at what you think".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

No it isn't! Modernism is the father of postmodernism; a classic rebellious child response. "You can't tell me what to think, just look at what you think".
Modernism is the mother of Pomo. The identity of the father of Pomo is not certain, so "Motherfucker" is a fair description.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel like playing ping pong...

comet, Hellh*st

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps a group ****er would be in order, now?

Lord Jaysus, we would just like to lift up to you those troubled souls in this thread. They have heavy burdens, and in the Name of Jaysus we ask for healing, Lord! Just touch them! Pour your anointing oil on the stormy seas of their lives! Hallelujah! We feel your mighty presence!
pssst...it's your turn

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016