homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should Polls Be Allowed In Hell?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Should Polls Be Allowed In Hell?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few simple questions.

[ 14. February 2013, 16:15: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that comet in charge of some Ship version of the Survivor franchise is an early favourite.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as though they are. Or is this an ***** privilege (or, flagrant abuse of power; whichever you prefer).

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
It looks as though they are. Or is this an ***** privilege (or, flagrant abuse of power; whichever you prefer).

What a silly question. Of course it's a flagrant abuse of power!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

What a silly question. Of course it's a flagrant abuse of power!
What's the point of being a divinely-appointed all-powerful ***** if you can't abuse your power in a fragrant way?

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad to see I'm mainly with the masses on this poll!

And shouldn't that be "Should polls be allowed in Hull?" given the current title of the board?
Is there any reason to exclude the good citizens of Hull? [Paranoid]

[ 11. February 2013, 12:41: Message buggered about with by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the poll predates the board's retitling. By as much as an hour.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
What's the point of being a divinely-appointed all-powerful ***** if you can't abuse your power in a fragrant way?

Quite so.

And flagrantly trinitarian:

quote:
Eph 5:1-2

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

While comet is comfortably in the lead, it's slightly troubling that Sioni is being beaten as an option by PeteC who isn't even on staff anymore.

Can some people vote for Sioni before he sees this and feels insecure? It could be very awkward.

Oh, wait... damn. Damn damn damn damn.

[ 11. February 2013, 13:11: Message buggered about with by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted for myself. 7 times! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
nb. I voted for Q2 option 5 as "Which Shipmate shall we have for lunch?"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grilled penguin might be nice.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Grilled penguin might be nice.

It wouldn't be the first bird to taste fishy.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw this "Sorry, but you've already voted in this poll. You cannot vote more than once. This isn't Zimbabwe you know!" Ah, but it is Chicago!

(Which is famous for corruption. Half of our governoers since the 1970s have gone to jail, and probably all of our mayors and most of our aldermen should!)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
And shouldn't that be "Should polls be allowed in Hull?" given the current title of the board?

No. John Prescott might win.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In regards to that last non-question: if RSP/Silver Faux/Beachbum/Bannedass didn't have trouble making polls, I don't see why you should.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very disappointed that "which church is the true one" isn't in the lead. Clearly it's mine and if you don't agree, I'll sick an octopus on you.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
In regards to that last non-question: if RSP/Silver Faux/Beachbum/Bannedass didn't have trouble making polls, I don't see why you should.

Far too much time on his hands, that boy. This is the first poll I've ever posted, and I couldn't believe how many different screens had to be navigated!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A*******'t:
quote:

That's not an entirely bad thing. Usually when you work out what he's saying, it's actually quite sensible. Obviously it takes 3 weeks or so to work out what he was actually saying and by then...

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
nb. I voted for Q2 option 5 as "Which Shipmate shall we have for lunch?"

Don't mention the lasagne. [Help]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! I live in Hull.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Hull and Halifax and Hell
Good Lord deliver us

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a landmark discovery, Hull University's librarians have recently uncovered some old notebooks from behind the shelves in a forgotten corner of their poetry section. Thought to be by the former librarian, these manuscripts cast a new light on the city, as seen by one of the country's foremost modern poets.

It fucks you up, living in in Hull
You might not realise but it will
You start becoming deathly dull
Then end up with the urge to kill

Your kids get fucked up in their turn
Bye strange folk from East Yorkshire's flats
Who stand in dole queues, dressed so stern
In faded coats and woolen hats

You'll jump off of the Humber Bridge
Once Hull has put you beyond help
Get out as early as you can
Sell up, move out, go somewhere else!

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

orfeo

# 13878

I find it very amusing that everyone decided, on a Ship, that the Hull being referred to was a city.

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hull, my friend, is a port.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This fairy sails out of Hull every evening. Great entertainment, food and a good night's sleep on the way to Rotterdam.

[Big Grin]

[ 12. February 2013, 08:06: Message buggered about with by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
quote:
Originally posted by A*******'t:
quote:

That's not an entirely bad thing. Usually when you work out what he's saying, it's actually quite sensible. Obviously it takes 3 weeks or so to work out what he was actually saying and by then...

AFZ

But by the time you've worked out what he's saying you find that some nice terraced housing has been razed to the ground, there's a bus lane on a motorway and your secretary is, er, doing someone else's typing.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I see I have slipped behind the no-longer-resident-in-Hell PeteC in the voting.

Most disappointing. There may be ongoing consequences for those of you I decide probably didn't vote for me.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I find it very amusing that everyone decided, on a Ship, that the Hull being referred to was a city.

There's a joke in Spaced where they keep saying "Hell" instead of "Hull" (the city), so I immediately thought of that.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You'd have been my second vote, but I'm afraid I'm another member of the in love with Comet and thinks she's the loveliest badass mofo around gang.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

Most disappointing. There may be ongoing consequences for those of you I decide probably didn't vote for me.

What, you want to have to H0st all the polls? [Eek!]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

orfeo

# 13878

...depends on whether that involves actually *taking care* of them.

On THIS board, I'm sure there'd be sc*** for treating them a little creatively.

EDIT: Oh for fuck's sake, the blocking of partial words that happen to share letters with certain blocked words in an attempt to stop people working their way around the blocks is really damn hard to predict.

[ 12. February 2013, 13:16: Message buggered about with by: orfeo ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's 'cause you're not from round our way.

Hull was once voted the crappest town in the UK to live in. Didn't occur to me that anything else was meant.

(Although I think I might like "Tesco burgers" even better)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Disabling polls in Hell again buggered up this one. Doh!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016