homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » More government ministers talking out of their arse (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: More government ministers talking out of their arse
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I can't help feeling that if a Labour politician had made that comment we'd now have a thread full of lefties earnestly decrying the sense of superiority and elitism of graduates, and calling for them to be forced to stack shelves for six months after graduation just to give them an appreciation of what life's like for real people.

If twitter is anything to go by then those who do work and view their jobs as a service to others aren't worth salt in the eyes of the left, as this summing up of yesterdays NUJ strike activity would seem to indicate.
Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iain Duncan Smith and the right-wing press are telling lies about this case (and Duncan Smith is a RC who ought to know the commandment against false witness).

The geology grad.
quote:
she had no objection to working in a shop: indeed she already had retail experience. In fact she now has a job in a supermarket. But she did want paid work, or something that would advance her chances of this.

In fact she was already in the midst of a work experience placement that she had organised for herself, which would have increased her chances of being employed in a museum and made use of an expensive degree, as well as giving something back to the community through volunteering. ... In an interview with the Sunday Times in January 2013, he reportedly described her as a “snooty so-and-so. She seemed to say she shouldn’t stack shelves because she’s intelligent. The way she sneered — as if she was too good for it.”

But this is a gross misrepresentation of her position. To make things worse, he apparently tried to smear her again after the court judgement went against him, as well as seeming unashamed about his department breaking the law. On the Andrew Marr show, he (IDS) appeared to imply that she was part of “a group of people out there who think they are too good for this kind of stuff."

source

In the Guardian, she said
quote:
After studying similar programmes in Canada, the US and Australia, they found no evidence such schemes increased an the chances of gaining employment

Also in The Guardian, IDS said
quote:
The next time these smart people who say there's something wrong with this go into their supermarket, ask themselves this simple question: when they can't find the food on the shelves, who is more important: them, the geologist or the person who's stacked the shelves?
Well, i believe we are all equal so while I can vaguely agree with him,where does this leave all those parents with aspirations for their children to get on in education. Where does that leave all those hard-working schoolkids? Should we sack Michael Gove (I wish) and out the school leaving age back down to 14?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
If twitter is anything to go by then those who do work and view their jobs as a service to others aren't worth salt in the eyes of the left, as this summing up of yesterdays NUJ strike activity would seem to indicate.

A little bit of searching on Twitter suggests that this is a summing up in the same way that the top half inch of my pint of milk sums it up as being all double cream! The unattractive stuff is there (as is a fair amount in the opposite direction). Are there any other reports on this apart from the Telegraph and the Daily Mail whose views on the NUJ (and, incidentally, the BBC) are notorious.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Alternatively, those who do work and view their jobs as a service to others see that as entirely congruent with left-leaning views - which is a lot of the reason why strikes to protect public services happen in the first place... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The twitterverse on the one hand, versus the Government Minister responsible for the policy area on the other...

Yeah. I know which one I'd be more worried about shooting its mouth off.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If twitter is anything to go by then those who do work and view their jobs as a service to others aren't worth salt in the eyes of the left,

Repeating lies doesn't make themn true. But then the right-wing has never really cared about truth,

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But then the right-wing has never really cared about truth,

Pots and kettles comes to mind.

I'm yet to hear the left, or their mouthpieces, accept the blame of the mid-staff hospital murders, nor as Ed Mill. stumped up the leadership to denounce O'Farrell's sick remarks (nor do I remember a denouncement when those t-shirts became public knowledge either, but hey...), the lies about imiigration from the last Labour government, Ed. Balls constant lyes about the state of the economy even when the facts were presented to him, the lies, hypocrisy and double standards that the left consistantly say in regards to equality, the poor, tax avoidance...

oh why bother going on, it all falls on deaf ears...

[ 19. February 2013, 15:45: Message edited by: Sergius-Melli ]

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm yet to hear the left, or their mouthpieces, accept the blame of the mid-staff hospital murders, nor as Ed Mill. stumped up the leadership to denounce O'Farrell's sick remarks (nor do I remember a denouncement when those t-shirts became public knowledge either, but hey...), the lies about imiigration from the last Labour government, Ed. Balls constant lyes about the state of the economy even when the facts were presented to him, the lies, hypocrisy and double standards that the left consistantly say in regards to equality, the poor, tax avoidance...

I think you're mistaking New Labour for left-wing.

In other words, it would be nice if I had someone to vote for.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I can't help feeling that if a Labour politician had made that comment we'd now have a thread full of lefties earnestly decrying the sense of superiority and elitism of graduates, and calling for them to be forced to stack shelves for six months after graduation just to give them an appreciation of what life's like for real people.

You don't see a difference between unemployment and choosing to strike for better conditions? Crossing a picket line is betraying others, not serving them.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But then the right-wing has never really cared about truth,

Pots and kettles comes to mind.

Why is the entirety of the left identical to the Shadow Cabinet? The left aren't a homogenous group any more than the right are. Certainly I am left of the Shadow Cabinet on many issues.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
.... Why is the entirety of the left identical to the Shadow Cabinet? The left aren't a homogenous group any more than the right are. Certainly I am left of the Shadow Cabinet on many issues.

There are Government ministers to the left of this Shadow Cabinet, and they aren't all Lib Dems by any means.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why oh why has working in a shop been reduced to a dehumanised process of stacking shelves? Once working in retail required product knowledge and was about customer service. It might have been thought of as a fulfilling vocation rather than the last process in a chain that they haven’t found invented a machine to it more cheaply.

Another thing that the ministers seem to have failed to have thought through; if graduates are only fit for doing minimum wage jobs then who is going to pay off all of those expensive loans the government issued to cover the £9k a year courses?

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
You don't see a difference between unemployment and choosing to strike for better conditions? Crossing a picket line is betraying others, not serving them.

Since I wasn't making a link between the two I'm not entirely sure why you don't think that I don't see a difference because I do... the former group find themselves in a position which is unfortunate and mainly out of their own control, the latter group, certainly in this case, were not striking for better conditions, but striking on the basis of greed and inability to comprehend that even the public sector needs to slip down.

So, whilst we're at it, you think that the bullying and degrading of a group of hard-working people is acceptable do you?

That people who decide that they view their work as a career they have chosen, a vocation to help others rather than a means to make money, know that there are people who are a lot worse off in the private sector, that have an ounce of political reality and worldly knowledge, should be belittled and insulted because they decided to go into work instead of causing disruption to other people's lives (although I must say it was actually a blessing to watch and listen to the BBC that day with the worst interviewers and 'journalists' off) over a matter of a bloated and priviliged corporation filled with tax dodging 'journalists', funded by one of the worst regressive taxes I can think off, shedding some jobs...

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
So, whilst we're at it, you think that the bullying and degrading of a group of hard-working people is acceptable do you?

Clearly, you do.

A great many public servants - teachers most recently, doctors a while back, my own wife and her colleagues - put up with this shit every single day of their working lives. And one of the main obstacles to obtaining then maintaining a decent level of public services is the knowledge that a very few people will undermine any work-to-rule or strike action they might take.

But that's okay, right?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

Since I wasn't making a link between the two I'm not entirely sure why you don't think that I don't see a difference because I do... the former group find themselves in a position which is unfortunate and mainly out of their own control, the latter group, certainly in this case, were not striking for better conditions, but striking on the basis of greed and inability to comprehend that even the public sector needs to slip down.

That people who decide that they view their work as a career they have chosen, a vocation to help others rather than a means to make money, know that there are people who are a lot worse off in the private sector, that have an ounce of political reality and worldly knowledge, should be belittled and insulted because they decided to go into work instead of causing disruption to other people's lives (although I must say it was actually a blessing to watch and listen to the BBC that day with the worst interviewers and 'journalists' off) over a matter of a bloated and priviliged corporation filled with tax dodging 'journalists', funded by one of the worst regressive taxes I can think off, shedding some jobs...

I don't think that abusing people who cross a picket line is right, no. But I still think crossing a picket line is wrong and I would never do it. And disruption is kind of the point of a strike, otherwise it wouldn't be effective!

The argument that things are worse in the private sector isn't a particularly good one either - it just means that the private sector should have to improve, it's not a reason to penalise the public sector for providing decent pay and pensions.

I don't disagree that tax-dodging journalists are in the wrong, and the license fee system certainly needs reform - I personally am in favour of license fee payers becoming shareholders, a la John Lewis. I do think that public ownership of the BBC is extremely important and should be strengthened, and that the BBC is an extremely precious part of UK life. That doesn't mean that it's perfect, of course not, but journalists striking is not one of its faults.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone explain the underlying economics of this sort of scheme?

Logically, it doesn't in itself increase demand for shelf-stackers, and there isn't a labour shortage of shelf-stackers (otherwise it wouldn't be a minimum wage job) - so if anyone does get a job as a result of this scheme, surely it's either a.) a job they'd have got anyway, or b.) at the expense of another jobseeker?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're looking for economic logic in a scheme that is fundamentally about politics: See, we're making those people work for their money. We have no capacity for the extra effort needed to figure out whether the work is useful, but so long as they're working for it all those self-righteous constituents who think that being unemployed is a moral failing will be terribly happy with us.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if an economic analysis showed that the scheme wasn't beneficial (or even that it was economically counter-productive), but the scheme isn't designed for its economic benefit in the first place.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
You're looking for economic logic in a scheme that is fundamentally about politics: See, we're making those people work for their money. We have no capacity for the extra effort needed to figure out whether the work is useful, but so long as they're working for it all those self-righteous constituents who think that being unemployed is a moral failing will be terribly happy with us.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if an economic analysis showed that the scheme wasn't beneficial (or even that it was economically counter-productive), but the scheme isn't designed for its economic benefit in the first place.

Damn right. It's cheap grandstanding portraying the unemployed as living off the fat of the land, while those own the land (or anything much else) have no appreciation that they have any obligation towards employing them.

Someone once wrote in the Wall Street Journal that Good Economics is not Good Politics and Good Politics is not Good Economics, leading through various vices versa to Good Economics = Bad Politics and Good Politics = Bad Economics.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
[QB...while those own the land (or anything much else) have no appreciation that they have any obligation towards employing them.[/QB]

Wait, what?

You think that rich people have an obligation to employ others?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

That's what Downton Abbey keeps telling me.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:

But I can't see those who think that, as Marvin the Martian put it, "rich people have an obligation to employ others" would accept the idea of one family employing 100 people to serve in the house either...
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wouldn't know, I don't watch that shit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Maggie Smith and Shirley Maclaine together on screen is worth every second.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Meh, it just looks deathly boring to me. Like Eastenders but 100 years ago and with better accents. I'd rather watch a Mythbusters repeat.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Meh, it just looks deathly boring to me. Like Eastenders but 100 years ago and with better accents. I'd rather watch a Mythbusters repeat.

It's not actually that bad - I'm a very late convert to Downton, in that I had never watched it until last Sunday evening, being rather sceptical to start of with I ended up not going to bed until I had consumed the whole of the first series. It is nothing like the tripe that is Eastenders and those of a similar ilk, and is rather entertaining, I encourage you to watch it.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hear hear!

TV needs more explosions!

And more young women running around in circles, jumping up and down, falling into lakes, crashing cars, demolishing buildings, and saying sensible things about science while doing complex engineering tasks well.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a few episodes of Downton and decided it was a second rate rip off of Upstairs, Downstairs.
Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

I think that IDS's argument was that someone with absolutely nothing on their CV would get something on their CV. They would have shown the ability to hold down a job, which is something that employers like.

How this can be applied to the geology graduate in question (who apparently already had work experience) I don't know.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
shitcan the Television talk, freaks.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

I think that IDS's argument was that someone with absolutely nothing on their CV would get something on their CV. They would have shown the ability to hold down a job, which is something that employers like.

How this can be applied to the geology graduate in question (who apparently already had work experience) I don't know.

Does being compelled to perform some menial task improve ones CV? I doubt it very much. What employers want is a ready-made worker, with experience and skills, because the typical employer is too mean to develop and train staff themselves, and that is supposing they have an idea *how* to do such a thing, which isn't always the case. Once they have recruited experienced and skilled staff employers still complain that incoming staff don't fit-in!

There's no economic basis to the government's shabby policy beyond scaring a few potential JSA claimants.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall fail to be knocked over by any passing feathers.

Clue: amongst other things the people who we in the health service have been signing off as not fit for work for long periods of time, may genuinely not be fit for work. A proportion of them do get better, this is probably not due to having meetings with people in a job centre.

I have a friend who was on incapacity benefit for two years, she had a cranial hypertension and a back injury - then she had back surgery and a GP prescribed graded exercise program. She got gradually better, and took small amounts of locum work in a graded fashion until she was able to sustain a part time job. All of which had fuck all to do with the job centre.

Though as soon as she took even one day's work to do that phased return - as professional cover - she earned more than the threshholds allowed and immediately lost her benefits. Of course one days work wouldn't cover her costs for rent etc - fortunately the phased return was successful. Or potentially that system would have left her homeless.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I shall fail to be knocked over by any passing feathers.

Clue: amongst other things the people who we in the health service have been signing off as not fit for work for long periods of time, may genuinely not be fit for work.

Ahhh, Doublethink I see your misunderstanding there. You were thinking that the purpose of the government announcements/'policies' was to reduce unemployment and thus reduce the benefits bill.
[Disappointed]
Where you're going wrong is not understanding that government policy is subtly different. Let me explain:
People are not unemployed because there aren't enough jobs (clearly 1 million more unemployed people that jobs is not the issue) but because they are lazy or stupid or both.
People are not claiming disability-related benefits because of disability but because they are scroungers and lazy and trying to steal from the state.
The thing is, if you appreciate that people are poor and/or sick and disabled by choice then you will see the wisdom and justice in taking away as much money from them as possible.

This is what IDS was getting at... blame the unemployed for unemployment - I mean otherwise you'll have to face the ridiculous notion that people who make policy in government are responsible for the effects of said policy.

You know, actually I might respect the odd right-winger who owned up to the idea that they think disability / unemployment benefits should be less because the nation 'can't afford them' (I would disagree with that on economic grounds btw but...) instead there is clearly (and IDS is a good example of this, in this case) a deliberate communications policy to demonise anyone in receipt of any benefits. (Apart from the elderly who get ~45% of the benefits budget btw...)

Once you demonise disable people as fakers, you can get away with dehumanising cuts. Once you demonise the unemployed as lazy and unmotivated you can get away with policies that will make many of them homeless... This is what it's all about.

And it sickens me. I would not normally subscribe to Bevan's famous description of Tories, I don't think considering people one disagrees with as somehow less moral than oneself is healthy or wise or constructive. However, I am finding it increasingly hard to respect the members of this government who, whilst being extremely wealthy sneer at the poor.

So yes, this is another government minister talking out of his arse...

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
People are not unemployed because there aren't enough jobs (clearly 1 million more unemployed people that jobs is not the issue) but because they are lazy or stupid or both.

People are not claiming disability-related benefits because of disability but because they are scroungers and lazy and trying to steal from the state.

This is what IDS was getting at... blame the unemployed for unemployment

Ok, I know you're being sarcastic here, but has IDS ever actually said something that looks anything like this? IDS is probably one of the few politicians who has actually been made redundant from a job, so although he taking a tough line on getting people back into work, I don't get the whole 'blaming the unemployed' schtick.

quote:
You know, actually I might respect the odd right-winger who owned up to the idea that they think disability / unemployment benefits should be less because the nation 'can't afford them' (I would disagree with that on economic grounds btw but...)
Since welfare spending makes up so much of government spending, cuts are going to have to be made (as far as I see it) to reduce the deficit. One of the big failures by the Conservatives, it seems to me, is the inability to create an overarching narrative about the economic situation (for example, the issue of the deficit seemed to be barely mentioned in the election campaign). I'm still scratching my head a little bit at how a former PR man seemingly hasn't managed to do this.

quote:
Once you demonise the unemployed as lazy and unmotivated you can get away with policies that will make many of them homeless...
Who is going to become homeless? This is a new one to me.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant to add that during my time on the dole, one of the most difficult things that I found was the lack of structure to the day: there was no particular reason to get up in the morning, no particular reason to have meals at any particular time of day, no reason to get dressed by a particular time.

Making the unemployed do something will give them that structure and discipline. If nothing else, I think that's a good enough reason to implement this scheme.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I meant to add that during my time on the dole, one of the most difficult things that I found was the lack of structure to the day: there was no particular reason to get up in the morning, no particular reason to have meals at any particular time of day, no reason to get dressed by a particular time.

Making the unemployed do something will give them that structure and discipline. If nothing else, I think that's a good enough reason to implement this scheme.

How about retired people - how do they structure their days?

This scheme of 'making the unemployed do something' is taking real jobs from people. In the town where I work the department store has several of these posts, saving them money and taking work from those who need it.

It's wrong for that reason imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never had any trouble in structuring my days when I was unemployed, and I also had the time to be active in voluntary work around my local area, serving on various committees. At one point, I was so well known for writing minutes for meetings that I was written into the community play as a secretary!
In fact, I had to ask for time off one of the A4e 'courses' in order to go down to Cardiff with a coachload of local people to have a meeting with the First Minister and a photo opportunity with visitors from Timbuktu when our town was first twinned with them!
It's a pity that all that useful work had to be voluntary - I found that there was no end of people who wanted you to do things, as long as they didn't have to pay you for them.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican't:
quote:
Neither of the people who brought lawsuits against being forced to do "work experience" were lazing in bed or watching the telly all day, so your comments about the unemployed "needing structure" are hardly relevant here. The young woman who attracted most of IDS's venom had in fact organised her own work placement, which she had to give up in order to waste two weeks increasing the profits for Poundstretcher.

I have absolutely no objection to the idea of work placements in principle. However, I think it is wrong to compel someone who has already arranged voluntary work for herself to stop doing it in order to comply with some box-ticking exercise which will also leave her no time for job-hunting.

And as a tax-payer I strongly object to paying JSA so that Poundstretcher and other large companies can lay off a few of their minimum-wage employees. Either these work placements should be restricted to voluntary work, or the company that takes the workers should pay their JSA for the time they are on the work placement. The company will still make some savings because JSA is well below minimum wage, but at least my tax money won't be subsidising them.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Ok, I know you're being sarcastic here, but has IDS ever actually said something that looks anything like this? IDS is probably one of the few politicians who has actually been made redundant from a job, so although he taking a tough line on getting people back into work, I don't get the whole 'blaming the unemployed' schtick.

To be fair to Mr Duncan Smith, his rhetoric has never been as bad some such as the Chancellor of the exchequer in his conference speech last year, however; here are some examples of the narrative:

quote:
The Rt Hon Iain Duncan-Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, July 2011:
Welfare fraud costs the taxpayer £1.6billion every year — that’s £3,000 a minute. It’s a waste of cash that could be spent on schools and hospitals. But I’m pleased to say that fraudsters are now on borrowed time.

quote:
The Rt Hon Iain Duncan-Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, February 2011:
Our reforms will end the absurdity of a system where people too often get rewarded for doing the wrong thing, and those who strive to do the best by their families get penalised.

quote:
The Rt Hon Iain Duncan-Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, November 2010:
That is why we are developing a regime of sanctions for those who refuse to play by the rules as well as targeted work activity for those who need to get used to the habits of work

quote:
The Rt Hon Iain Duncan-Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, November 2010:
...three generations of the same family have [often] never worked.

That last one is my personal favourite. You can read the research here but to summarise... Of the 3.7m 'working-age-households' 18% have nobody with a job. Homes with two generations of worklessnes are less than 0.9%. The percentage of households where 2 generations have NEVER worked is less than 0.1%. There is no evidence at all of three-generation worklessness. There just isn't.

Then again, this is a Minister of the Crown who more than once has been warned for misleading statistics

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I have absolutely no objection to the idea of work placements in principle. However, I think it is wrong to compel someone who has already arranged voluntary work for herself to stop doing it in order to comply with some box-ticking exercise which will also leave her no time for job-hunting.

Best paragraph in thread. Hits every point far more succinctly than I ever manage.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
...three generations of the same family have [often] never worked.

That last one is my personal favourite... Homes with two generations of worklessnes are less than 0.9%. The percentage of households where 2 generations have NEVER worked is less than 0.1%. There is no evidence at all of three-generation worklessness. There just isn't.
Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but wasn't IDS talking about families not households? So 'three generations of the same family' that have never worked would mean, for example; me, any siblings I have, both my parents, and all my grandparents. We wouldn't have to all live in the same house in order for IDS' comment to apply to us.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you read the research you will find it's not about whether everybody in the same house is workless, but whether in a workless household there is an intergenerational history of worklessness.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Truth and Lies about Poverty - a report from the Baptist Union of Great Britain, the Methodist Church, the Church of Scotland and the United Reformed Church

quote:
from the report:
Churches have a special interest in speaking
truthfully about poverty. Both the biblical
warnings of the prophets and the example
of Jesus teach us to pay special attention
to the voices of the most vulnerable and
underprivileged. The systematic misrepresentation
of the poorest in society is a matter of injustice
which all Christians have a responsibility to
challenge.

I've just read the executive summary of this report. This is fantastic for two reasons, firstly it is so good to see the church speaking out on this. And secondly the codifying of the facts on the 'six big myths' about poverty in the UK is a fantastic reference. As Jesus put it, "You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Now at the risk of too much theology in Hell, of course Jesus meant this specifically to refer to him in this context but it is also more widely true; truth is powerful stuff. Ministers talking out of your collective arses take note.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link AFZ, it is a fascinating read and proof of a wide range of ministers talking out of their arses.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Truth and Lies about Poverty - a report from the Baptist Union of Great Britain, the Methodist Church, the Church of Scotland and the United Reformed Church

quote:
from the report:
Churches have a special interest in speaking
truthfully about poverty. Both the biblical
warnings of the prophets and the example
of Jesus teach us to pay special attention
to the voices of the most vulnerable and
underprivileged. The systematic misrepresentation
of the poorest in society is a matter of injustice
which all Christians have a responsibility to
challenge.

I've just read the executive summary of this report. This is fantastic for two reasons, firstly it is so good to see the church speaking out on this. And secondly the codifying of the facts on the 'six big myths' about poverty in the UK is a fantastic reference. As Jesus put it, "You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Now at the risk of too much theology in Hell, of course Jesus meant this specifically to refer to him in this context but it is also more widely true; truth is powerful stuff. Ministers talking out of your collective arses take note.

AFZ

Yes - I have just read this too - excellent.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016