homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » EE, by gum! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: EE, by gum!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's only so many times someone can say "it's not what you say it's the way you say it" and have it ignored.

EE, if you would stop being so self-righteous and listen to what others are saying you just might learn something. These people haven't jumped on this thread for no reason at all. There's a common denominator here, and it's your posting style. But you refuse to hear, instead responding with snideness, tu quoque, and abuse. No wonder people are calling you names and getting frustrated. Take your fingers out of your ears.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, Ma'am, like EE I'm a prat, for letting him get to me, for letting his prattishness evoke mine.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
There's only so many times someone can say "it's not what you say it's the way you say it" and have it ignored.

EE, if you would stop being so self-righteous and listen to what others are saying you just might learn something. These people haven't jumped on this thread for no reason at all. There's a common denominator here, and it's your posting style. But you refuse to hear, instead responding with snideness, tu quoque, and abuse. No wonder people are calling you names and getting frustrated. Take your fingers out of your ears.

This. EE, people started out saying this and you returned with snide remarks and the comments got nastier. There were even examples of your insulting posts given. What you don't get is your points are lost in your snide remarks. If you preach "the good news" in this style you'll drive people away. As I said, take a look at yourself instead of looking for fault with everyone else. The proverbial look at the log in your own eye.

[ 25. February 2013, 03:33: Message edited by: Niteowl ]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I propose that in addition to ITTWACWS we add the acronym YBMTMBIAE - You're Being Mean To Me Because I'm An Evangelical.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Replace "Being Mean To" with "Persecuting". It shortens the acronym nicely and gets rid of those confusing BM/MB pairings.

YPMBIAE

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not an evangelical......he's far too reasonable.

Besides - they're usually allergic to philosophy.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Besides - they're usually allergic to philosophy.

I'm an evangelical... I'm reasonable and definitely not allergic to philosophy.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what makes you an Evangelical then?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Notice

EE announced yesterday that he has posted on this thread for the last time.

I'll let this thread trundle along for 48 hours pending a response form EE or something else worthwhile.

Otherwise it goes the way of all CTH threads.

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Replace "Being Mean To" with "Persecuting". It shortens the acronym nicely and gets rid of those confusing BM/MB pairings.

YPMBIAE

So mote it be.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I feel like I'm part of a lynch mob?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:

Because you don't understand what a Hell thread is about?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Whatever you say mousethief.

And in the meantime, how should we love EE regardless?

[ 25. February 2013, 20:51: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Don't ask me. You clearly don't value my opinion.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Hostly Notice

EE announced yesterday that he has posted on this thread for the last time.

I'll let this thread trundle along for 48 hours pending a response form EE or something else worthwhile.

Otherwise it goes the way of all CTH threads.

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

Before I go to bed I thought I'd let you know that, in EE's absence, nothing so far is persuading me to let this thread live.

SS
HH

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's in his bloody name, Sherlock.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'e is Etymologically, not Stereotypically.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

mousethief. How do I not when you KNOW I do? Is a Hell thread loving the 'other' to repentance?

And mousethief, that's you projecting. Quite big time actually. Hmmm. And that's me pushing back. Which I despise.

I always thought Hell would be a redeeming place where we all look after each other in our brokenness.

--------------------
Love wins

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is a Hell thread loving the 'other' to repentance?

No - there is no love lost in hell.

I don't feel I was being unkind to EE - I just wondered what he got out of being here. I also wanted to let him know that discussing anything with him is frustrating. It would be good if he popped to heaven now and again for a friendly discussion.

Maybe a PM would have been kinder?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I always thought Hell would be a redeeming place where we all look after each other in our brokenness.

I'd say we're rather more inspired by the passage about casting a believer out when they won't accept correction.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye. Damn them. Outer darkness is too good for them ... I know there's a time for punishment, for humbling, for penitence, for begging. It's good for the soul.

But our doing this isn't it. Isn't done in mercy, justice, hope, love.

Just like Christianity in the tyrannical, imperial main.

--------------------
Love wins

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Aye. Damn them. Outer darkness is too good for them ... I know there's a time for punishment, for humbling, for penitence, for begging. It's good for the soul.

But our doing this isn't it. Isn't done in mercy, justice, hope, love.

Just like Christianity in the tyrannical, imperial main.

Sometimes "this" is mercy. There have been some who have come to SoF with posting styles similar to ee and after a hell thread (or 2) with people point blank stating it's their posting style, NOT their beliefs, opinions, etc. (though some pile on with insults just because it's hell) they get it and change and over time earn the respect of their shipmates. Others simply prefer to maintain their abusive styles and feelings of superiority.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

True Niteowl. That covers me.

--------------------
Love wins

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

He is obviously wrong, dear Watson.

quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]
Actually that was a seriously curious question.

But you weren't to know that I spose.

The sweet, curious and endearing expression on my face obviously didn't come across right.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

He is obviously wrong, dear Watson.

quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

The sweet, curious and endearing expression on my face obviously didn't come across right.

Compare the first and second halves of this post.

I don't think EE is the only one lacking a bit of self-awareness around here...

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

#suchadifficultmedium

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but Evensong's self-awareness issues are hardly news. Anyway, she's probably just about to explain that she's being facetious, or postmodern or something.

(I love the delicious mindfuck of a self-proclaimed postmodernist dogmatically asserting that someone who calls himself evangelical must be mistaken. It's so... Evensong.)

[ETA: Holy crosspost, Batman!]

[ 26. February 2013, 13:31: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I's still like to know what SDFH is. Martin?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:

[ETA: Holy crosspost, Batman!]

Leave me out of this train wreck, Gummy Bear.
BTW, I agree with the substance of your post.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before this thread is closed and condemned to the lost eternity it deserves, I'd like to vent.

I do have a sense of humour and I did recognise the smilie and was simply responding with a comment to acknowledge the point EE was making before moving onto the subject in hand.

It's typical of his posting style to isolate a single comment and to use it as a lever to prise the discussion into the direction in which he wants it to go or as a baseball bat to beat his opponents, real or imagined, about the head.

EE isolated my friendly comment, 'I thought we'd put the tongues thing to bed, EE' and used it against me. In fact, he took it completely out of context. Just as he does the proof-texts that he habitually wields.

He then gets all upset when people come back at him. But then, so what else is new? This has been his style since he first joined the Ship. To adapt the old hymn, 'He knows no other argument, he knows no other plea, EE is an arsehole and that's how he'll always be.'

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

I assumed that was the 'Spiritual Director From Hell™' that Evensong referred to.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Niteowl's reasoning is part of the value of Hell. The service to the offending poster. Another value is service to the offended poster. Not only as a vent, but as a check to over-reaction. It can allow us to explore the anger and frustration caused by another. This is important, by understanding the cause can one begin the cure. Ignoring the negative does not typically remove it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye lilBuddha. And hypocrite that I am I just snorted out loud at Gamaliel.

--------------------
Love wins

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Niteowl's reasoning is part of the value of Hell. The service to the offending poster. Another value is service to the offended poster. Not only as a vent, but as a check to over-reaction. It can allow us to explore the anger and frustration caused by another. This is important, by understanding the cause can one begin the cure. Ignoring the negative does not typically remove it.

Very true. Also, there is the service to the all of the other boards that the safety valve of hell provides in keeping any nastiness from spilling over in them.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

Well if you google the term it comes up as some kind of file. So I thought maybe Martin was referring to the picture in my sig.

But it could have been the spiritual director from hell too. [Big Grin]

*He's playing the "I shall be mysterious and take the silent route" card at the moment tho.*

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
And mousethief, that's you projecting.

No. When you say "whatever you say," you are being dismissive. If you're going to use English you are responsible for what you say in it. You might want to go back to gobbledygook.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Well if you google the term it comes up as some kind of file. So I thought maybe Martin was referring to the picture in my sig.

But it could have been the spiritual director from hell too. [Big Grin]

*He's playing the "I shall be mysterious and take the silent route" card at the moment tho.*

First time I Googled it, I got San Diego Folk Heritage.

Just about every three letter and most four letter combinations are used as file types somewhere, so I read upthread and found it. Never underestimate the power of reading upthread.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Where?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, that's Heaven.
Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Nice one Qlib.
Tho one could argue tis the Christian vocation on earth too.

As in heaven

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

mousethief, I'm sorry for being dismissive about your opinion. So what is a hell thread about?

and QLib [Smile]

[ 27. February 2013, 09:16: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that's really pissed me off about EE recently is that they counter nearly every question I raise with some variation of "But what do you mean when you use the word x" or "By who's standard are you judging x". As I've never studied philosophy this means that for me the debate grinds to a complete stop just when it was getting interesting.

To be fair I'd imagin that when I use words like good, bad, judge etc in my arguments EE would say that I'm the one bringing philosophy to the table and they are just responding in kind.

I must admit though that I've learnt a great deal about how to improve my debate skills. The knowledge that EE is on the board now forces me to do things like think hard and avoid obvious assumptions before posting so I'm grateful for that.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is now becoming very unhellish. I'd second what George Spigot said. I clash with EE at times but he has made me (I hope) engage my brain before posting at times. I can be very broad-brush and make flip and off-hand remarks that can either hurt or confuse.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
This is now becoming very unhellish.

What's unhellish about it?

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot: The thing that's really pissed me off about EE recently is that THEY (my emphasis) counter nearly every question I raise with some variation of "But what do you mean when you use the word x" or "By who's standard are you judging x".
I too have suspected it is the Queen posting.

Although I suppose it could be an experimental philosophy 101 class in a theological college?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

[Roll Eyes] 'They' is frequently used to mean 'he or she'. Get over it.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
The thing that's really pissed me off about EE recently is that they counter nearly every question I raise with some variation of "But what do you mean when you use the word x" or "By who's standard are you judging x". As I've never studied philosophy this means that for me the debate grinds to a complete stop just when it was getting interesting.

Fun, isn't it. EE just keeps coming up with the old "if there is a God then I win, if there's not a God then the concepts of right and wrong don't exist and therefore I still win" crap. He's continually framing the argument in a way that means he never has to change his mind or admit even the slightest possibility of error. It's arrogant and dishonest and I'm fucking sick of it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

Ok. Fair enough. I'm not entirely sure that the sweetest, most curious and astoundingly endearing expression works when you began the conversation with the assertion that Evangelicalism = anti-reason and an aversion to philosophy. I am confident that the terms 'unreasonable' and 'anti-philosophy' do not describe shipmates who self-identify as Evangelical. And given that Evangelicalism is very much grounded in a modernist world view, arguably we are a pretty reasonable group... (Well, some of us, anyway)

Please, do not confuse Evangelical with Fundamentalist And there is a huge difference between what gets labelled as Evangelical on this side of the pond compared with the other.

Most evangelicals are fairly orthodox (small o), with an emphasis on the authority of scripture. Most of us would self identify by something like this basis of faith.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:

Fun, isn't it. EE just keeps coming up with the old "if there is a God then I win, if there's not a God then the concepts of right and wrong don't exist and therefore I still win" crap. He's continually framing the argument in a way that means he never has to change his mind or admit even the slightest possibility of error. It's arrogant and dishonest and I'm fucking sick of it.
His arguments are completely dishonest. The only question is if he is lying to himself as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016