homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » EE, by gum! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: EE, by gum!
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just assumed that it shows ignorance rather than dishonesty. A lot of people who are ignorant about logic and the structure of arguments, tend to argue in a very haphazard way, that tends to infuriate others. Oh dear, I'm not being horrible enough now!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ignorance is an excuse only when information is not readily available.

Arrogance is never excusable.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but being able to argue logically is not about information; it's a skill which some people just don't have, and then it's very difficult to acquire it, in fact, maybe impossible.

Arrogance - I'm not sure about that.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, but being able to argue logically is not about information; it's a skill which some people just don't have, and then it's very difficult to acquire it, in fact, maybe impossible.

Arrogance - I'm not sure about that.

Er, no. Being able to argue persuasively is the skill, which is either a gift or achieved with considerable effort. Locating the ducks is pretty simple. Getting them in a row is an entirely different thing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continued from God on Trial as I probably can't say this there.

STOP TRYING.

Be still man, for God's sake! You haven't the FAINTEST IDEA of what you are talking about. You blaspheme.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
I probably can't say this there.

Well spotted, thank you for taking your commentary to the right place.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry it's the 'Is eternal damnation fair?' thread. They overlap in implication.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE,

There are others here who share your opinions and voice them. They are not called to Hell. There are many philosophical differences on these boards which do not generate Hell calls. So why do you?
As for hate? I do not see it. Potential dislike? Possibly, but more frustration with your style. I do not hate you. I do not even dislike you. I do loathe much of your postings. Not because I disagree, but because of your style.
This, out of frustration, will generate comments with more heat than otherwise might be the case.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's also a skill which some people think they have, but in actual fact don't. Which gets us back to the subject of this thread.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
You rail against torturing people, but recommend that I look at a stupid and puerile thread in which the rent-a-mob insult me?

Dear God, he has the mindboggling gall (or is that stupidity?) to equate eternal torture and Hell-thread insults.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EE, I am 100% certain that you are reading this thread.

I have plenty of evidence for this and it's all in my head - all you have to do is agree with the logic that's in my head and you will see the evidence clear as day. You may not agree with my argument, but that is not the same as claiming that I presented no argument.

So listen to the good people above - they have excellent advice.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
EE, I am 100% certain that you are reading this thread.

I have plenty of evidence for this and it's all in my head - all you have to do is agree with the logic that's in my head and you will see the evidence clear as day. You may not agree with my argument, but that is not the same as claiming that I presented no argument.

So listen to the good people above - they have excellent advice.

The first 2 paragraphs would be Quotes Filed if I could figure out a reasonably short way of explaining the context.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[Roll Eyes] 'They' is frequently used to mean 'he or she'. Get over it.

You used to have a sense of humour.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[Roll Eyes] 'They' is frequently used to mean 'he or she'. Get over it.

You used to have a sense of humour.
You occasionally make jokes that are actually funny.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That depends on your sense of humour.

I think I'm hilarious.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Well as long as you're not aspiring to a wider audience, that's just grand.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've just assumed that it shows ignorance rather than dishonesty. A lot of people who are ignorant about logic and the structure of arguments, tend to argue in a very haphazard way, that tends to infuriate others. Oh dear, I'm not being horrible enough now!

I don't think his arguments are necessarily bad in themselves. The problem is:

a. He tries to use his posts as a platform to prove points that even CS Lewis took about twenty pages to argue (which is one reason why his posts go on for ever and multiply exponentially);

b. He tries to argue on the basis 'all other possible positions are wrong, therefore I must be right' (again showing his roots in CS Lewis). Unfortunately these other positions, flawed or not, have sufficient philosophical gravitas behind them that they can't just be dismissed in a few lines of a bulletin board post;

c. He gives the impression of trying to set up threads as Socratic dialogues where the Ship collectively plays the role of the Fool, which never goes down well;

d. Half his posts are directed against 'scientific naturalists', regardless of whether any such people are actually posting on the thread.

[ 28. February 2013, 14:21: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016