homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Golf Haters - Just Throwbacks To The 50's (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Golf Haters - Just Throwbacks To The 50's
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t play but my ten year old son does, and he plays very well (he’s on the fringe of the Derbyshire U11 squad). He plays and is coached at a municipal course, and the junior section is thriving. The coach works with local state schools to give kids a taste of golf, and it costs the magic sum of £30 per year to join the junior section, which gives them access to weekly coaching. As I say, I don’t play (but I can see me having to start!), but I do caddy for my son and I’m on the junior committee. Oh by the way, we are also trying to encourage the junior ladies section by arranging girls only coaching sessions, and on that subject, ALL competitions at the club and at county level are mixed.

Why on Earth is the game of golf hated? It’s certainly not elitist. My lad’s local course is £17 for a full round, which will last about 3-4 hours, which works out far cheaper than going to watch professional football.

A cheap set of clubs is around £100 in Sports Direct and that’s cheaper than some trainers! There are very few BMW’s in the car park but plenty of Fords, Vauxhalls, Kia’s and so on, as well as fair amount of builders and plumbers vans!

So my view is that people who stereotype golf and golfers have never actually played the game and seem to live in some 1950’s version of reality. It says more about the prejudices of those condemning the game than of those who actually play the game! It's amazing where you can find bigotry these days isn't it?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why on Earth is the game of golf hated?
Because it's fucking boring?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golfers should be shot. All of them. Without mercy.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband plays - pays a fortune for membership fees. Crazy dress codes. Misogynist rules.

A good walk ruined imo.

(But it keeps him out of trouble so there is a up side)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Played a few rounds when my father was still alive. Only pleasure I got was from the fact I shouldn't be able to play. Other than that it's boring to play and watching it on TV is like watching paint dry. I will admit it takes skill on the part of the player. It's not a popular game because it's dull and boring.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like golf.

Correction. I like the spectacle of televised golf. If it's coming from a links course, with a bracing onshore breeze, and McElroy is leading the field.* From the hyper-manicured lawns of Augusta, not so much. From Wentworth with Peter Allis droning on about Old Buffy Scrote-Grumbling used to shoot a 72 at Poona, not at all.

*and if it ever came from the Royal County Down, that would be best of all.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh look, a Heck Thread.

how cute.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

I hate it for two reasons. Public courses take up a lot of public space for a very limited use, and all golf courses use a lot of water, something in short supply here in southern California.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first 18 holes are OK, but what goes on in the 19th of membership golf clubs brings the whole game into disrepute. It's the last refuge of neo-fascism in England. And I include the car park at Twickenham on Middlesex Sevens day.

Quite why deano is defending golf as a whole is a mystery, for there is a world of difference between a municipal golf course, such as that at which his son plays, and the private clubs, some of which award membership on an invitation-only basis. Many of those which do accept applications keep very quiet about membership fees. I suppose if you have to ask, you're probably not the kind of chap they want as a member.

nb. the above does not apply to Scotland. Some clubs are smarter than others, but it doesn't have quite the same image that it has in England.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As per George Carlin. We can solve the homeless problem tomorrow if we commandeer the golf courses.

There was nothing so frustrating during the early 90's drought in Greater California as to see the persistent glowing greenness of the 3-4 golf courses I live near.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

I hate it for two reasons. Public courses take up a lot of public space for a very limited use, and all golf courses use a lot of water, something in short supply here in southern California.
You're going to be down on golf because someone decided that a coastal desert would be a good place to grow a gargantuan city? There's not a lot of water there becuase there's not supposed to be. [Biased]

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many baseball/football/soccer pitches does southern California have that need watering? Or do you mean you hate all sports that user water?

Second, boring is subjective, so fuck opinions like that.

If we're talking fashion - what the hell do those basketball players wear? How long do shorts have to be? They look like twats. Do they know that? And speed skaters and skiers... all fashion victims of the first order.

SS, how do you kinow what golf club bars are like? Do you have personal experience? Or is it what I said - prejudice based on some fairy tale you've picked up?

[ 27. February 2013, 20:10: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A golf course takes up much more space than a football or soccer field and tend to be off limits to anyone who isn't part of the club, whereas most soccer or football fields are in parks and can easily be converted for other uses.

[ 27. February 2013, 20:14: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't they quite good wildlife preserves?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
Other than that it's boring to play and watching it on TV is like watching paint dry.

Yes, whenever they announce "live golf" on the telly I always wonder how they can tell the difference between that and dead golf.

On the Sport Boredom Scale I'd rank it 10, equal with darts and bowls.

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sport gave us John Daly so it can't be all bad.

And David Feherty is entertaining:

quote:
The outspoken columnist then took a shot at actor and noted Scientologist Tom Cruise, who has said that therapy and drugs are useless and that depression can be cured by physical exercise: "Actually, some sort of exercise would have helped me. If I kicked the shit out of Tom Cruise, I'd feel a lot better about myself."

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Until this thread and its responses, I don't think I was aware that it was.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
oh look, a Heck Thread.

how cute.

Yeah, they're adorable when they first come in, with their bedraggled fur and wide little eyes.

But then they start eating all the food and leaving unpleasant messes all over the place for us to clean up. And you know that if we keep it, sooner or later we'll have to talk about neutering.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golf is simply what curlers do in the warm months.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why on Earth is the game of golf hated? It’s certainly not elitist.

So my view is that people who stereotype golf and golfers have never actually played the game and seem to live in some 1950’s version of reality. It says more about the prejudices of those condemning the game than of those who actually play the game! It's amazing where you can find bigotry these days isn't it?

In the late 1960s, the rules of the Royal Birkdale Golf Club still specified that Jews could not be members. So much for stereotypes and bigotry.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After going through a terrible time looking after my mum we organised a day off a week respite for my dad. For some strange reason he took up golf and for the rest of her life and during his grief it saved him, gave him a reason to get up and meet people and be out in the open air.

He is also a brave (but small) man who managed to stop the people in the club saying "nigger" (in front of him) after two near fights and several blazing rows in which he was often alone. I saw him once walk across the clubhouse and face down 2 off-duty policemen.

They tolerated him (leftie peace, lover that he is) and he changed them a bit around him, but a more mean spirited, borderline alcoholic, repressed (Oh the clothes!) bigoted bunch of non thinking splutter-cocks I have never met.

He misses the golf (now his knees won’t let him play) not so much the endless clubhouse bullshit.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Why on Earth is the game of golf hated? It’s certainly not elitist.

In the late 1960s, the rules of the Royal Birkdale Golf Club still specified that Jews could not be members. So much for stereotypes and bigotry.
Way to prove deano's point by referring to something from before half of us were born.

--------------------

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think it is.
Golf Clubs with misogynist membership rules are hated by lots of people.
Golf Club members who are ghastly little-englanders are hated by - well, I'm tempted to say by all right-minded people, but lots of right-minded people are not into hating other people.
Golf Courses that use vast amounts of natural resources for the benefit of a few members or which destroy local areas of beauty and deny local people established and historic access to land (looking at no-one Mr Trump) - they're not very popular.
But the game of Golf itself - who hates that? Who cares?

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I know it's the latest thing to keep saying (re Saville, etc) "Oh, it was another world then". No, it fucking wasn't. This was post Holocaust. People should have known better. They didn't. Yes, things have changed since then, but not that much. Some golf clubs are very inclusive, some aren't, though their worst crimes these days are probably sartorial.

Having said that, I don't hate golf, and I can't say I know anyone else who does - why waste the energy?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

orfeo

# 13878

If you're trying to say that the Holocaust should have caused everyone to suddenly be terribly nice to Jews as they realised the error of 'their' ways, then you're asking the people who fought the Germans to immediately think "gosh, those Germans massacring Jews are exactly like us keeping them out of our clubs". Not going to happen.

It's also fairly ridiculous to think that golf clubs (as in organisations, not sticks) were any different from a myriad other ones. You're not describing 1960s golfing. You're describing 1960s culture.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Golf is simply what curlers do in the warm months.

This is true. Both games may been invented in Scotland, but are played to death in Canada. Along with the bagpipes. If someone wanted to really have a good thread about something to hate from Scotland, bagpipes might be it.

Back to golf. Thankfully it's possible to play 9 for less than $20 at publically owned courses in many parts of the west. I do agree with the hate of golf when the fees for 18 top $200 or more. It's absolutely elitist and a rich person's activity then.

I also think it is hateful that golf courses dump chemicals and water than ends up in surface water.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It's also fairly ridiculous to think that golf clubs (as in organisations, not sticks) were any different from a myriad other ones. You're not describing 1960s golfing. You're describing 1960s culture.

Or 1990's culture. (Fife Symington was a Republican Governor of Arizona who was impeached and left the office in disgrace. Paradise Valley is a super wealthy suburb of Phoenix.)

[ 27. February 2013, 23:13: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly, this is a piss-weak hell thread. I thought the EE hell thread was weak, but this is worse.

Secondly, golf is maligned primarily by two groups of people: people who do not understand or appreciate the game, and people who see it as an elitist pastime.

The first group can be forgiven; there is no accounting for taste, really. Just because I enjoy playing golf does not mean another person will. I don't particularly care for cricket or boxing or mixed martial arts, but apparently some people like those things.

The second group are wrong.

As to golf-club culture: I don't pretend know what it is like in the UK, or in the most-exclusive private clubs in the United States, but most public and semi-private golf clubs are not significantly more exclusive or snobby or whatever than any other given organization. Not every golf club is Bushwood. Most people I know from the local golf club are decidedly middle class. Others' mileage may, of course, vary.

Also, this is a piss-weak hell thread.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know it really depends. My folks live above a golf course and I live across the street from one; there's not a chance in hell that we could afford to take up the game at either of those two country clubs. (My home is on the "wrong side of the tracks," if you get that reference.) But I can imagine there are some municipal places where we could, if we only lived near enough. I just don't know of any in this metro area.

My son's school offers basic golf lessons after school, but the cost is again rather out of our reach. It's much more affordable to do track and field, or swimming, or tennis or something. I think in terms of cost golf is about two to three times as expensive as any of the other sports offered.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How many baseball/football/soccer pitches does southern California have that need watering?

Baseball, football and soccer fields are all a lot smaller than golf courses, and serve more people per acre.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Metro Ottawa seems to have over 100 golf courses. Can't be hated that badly. That's around a course per thousand humans.

I've played a few office golf days. I enjoyed them. I can take it or leave it, myself. One course was quite pretty.

One local course's clubhouse is a frequent venue for big parties; such as 50th anniversary or the like. We have no serious water shortage most summers.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
oh look, a Heck Thread.

how cute.

Yeah, they're adorable when they first come in, with their bedraggled fur and wide little eyes.

But then they start eating all the food and leaving unpleasant messes all over the place for us to clean up. And you know that if we keep it, sooner or later we'll have to talk about neutering.

Are you suggesting you might confiscate his balls? Golf balls, I mean. Of course. What else could I mean.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we're agreed then that golf played - as God intended- in the sterner and wilder parts of Caledonia as an eternal battle between humanity, landscape and the weather is fine.

But apart from that, it's ecological vandalism perpetrated by rich, sexist, fascist anti-Semites with the conversational allure of industrial solvent back labels and no taste.

Seems fair to me.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:

No, blatant anti-semitism of the "No Jews allowed" type was not acceptable in the late 1960s, except of course for allegedly Christian institutions such as some schools, and in certain social circles things could be said: dodgy jokes, snide comments, that kind of thing. Of course, there was a spectrum (and still is); the point is that golf clubs were on the wrong end of it - and the suspicion is that, at the top end of the game, some of them still are. Living on the wrong side of the tracks does still mean something in certain circles, and those circles seem to overlap quite markedly with golfing circles.

No doubt there are lots of very nice people who play golf, and I gather that there's usually at least one club in every large town that tries to make golf accessible to all - but the suspicions of golf club culture that deano refers to are not unfounded. Having said that, objections to golf as a game are simply a matter of individual preference - 'silly way of spoiling a good walk' being a good example - but the idea that people hate the game is ridiculous.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

They tolerated him (leftie peace, lover that he is) and he changed them a bit around him, but a more mean spirited, borderline alcoholic, repressed (Oh the clothes!) bigoted bunch of non thinking splutter-cocks I have never met.

He misses the golf (now his knees won’t let him play) not so much the endless clubhouse bullshit.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

My father was one of the full blown alcoholic and bigoted men who hung out in the bar after the game. I was still trying (not sure why) to have a relationship with him when I played, but I refused to hang out with him in the bar afterward and didn't put up with the bigoted bullshit. Could be one reason why there was no relationship. I finally gave up on both the relationship and the game.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

No, blatant anti-semitism of the "No Jews allowed" type was not acceptable in the late 1960s, except of course...
Where to start, where to start...

Well, first off I agree with you that different parts of society were more or less progressive on such issues.

But I still think you're talking about culture, and as much as anything else I think you're talking about different age groups. Let's face it, golf is not generally thought of as a young person's game (although of course some people do start it young, otherwise we'd never have the professional ranks that we do - but I'm thinking in recreational terms). Among the people who've got time for a round of golf are lots of older people. And it is also a sport that people are capable of participating in when age/health prevents them from participating in some other sports.

I certainly don't think that the late 1960s were tremendously enlightened in general and golf was some particularly weird holdout. As occasionally discussed in Heaven, I'm watching 1960s Doctor Who at the moment. And in 1967 it was still apparently perfectly acceptable to air a story (Tomb of the Cybermen) where it's rather obvious that all the nasty characters have coloured skin and all the good characters are white. This is the same show that in some other stories (The War Machines from 1966 stands out) was tremendously keen to show how hip and aligned with youth culture it was.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't hate golf, I'm just bemused by it.

Why would anyone want to waste an entire day playing golf when you can have a game of crazy golf in half an hour* and then do something else? [Devil]

*Provided you don't get stuck under the windmill.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deano, you know and I know that all the way up Tapton Hill is a public golf course where anyone can play. You and I also, surely, know that this isn't the case everywhere and the country is littered with elitist little clubs where sit-com plots are hatched.

Golf itself is hated because, as has been stated already, it's fucking boring.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe some here are saying that it's interesting to watch. I can just about stomach playing it and used to at school, but watching it on TV is an abomination whic makes the Baby Jesus cry.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think everyone should like the things I like and hate the things I hate, and anyone who doesn't is WORSE THAN HITLER!!1!ONE!

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But of course!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I can't believe some here are saying that it's interesting to watch. I can just about stomach playing it and used to at school, but watching it on TV is an abomination whic makes the Baby Jesus cry.

Each to their own. Personally I love watching the drama unfold during the four days of a major tournament.

But then, I like test match cricket as well. Maybe it's just that I have an attention span longer than thirty seconds and don't need constant intense action in order to be entertained.

Some people only have an interest in really simple, "kick-the-ball-then-run-after-it" sports. Others, like me, can appreciate the more cerebral ones. Ones like golf, where the choice of which club to use can be more important than the actual swing.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, Marv, it's not that, since I like test cricket and loathe watching golf.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Each to their own. Personally I love watching the drama unfold during the four days of a major tournament.

But then, I like test match cricket as well. Maybe it's just that I have an attention span longer than thirty seconds and don't need constant intense action in order to be entertained.

Some people only have an interest in really simple, "kick-the-ball-then-run-after-it" sports. Others, like me, can appreciate the more cerebral ones. Ones like golf, where the choice of which club to use can be more important than the actual swing.

I've got a got a long attention span, I just fail to see any drama in Golf, including and especially a 4 day tournament. As I said, it's like watching paint dry. Which might have been entertaining when I was 20 and had just smoked some of the funny green stuff and spaced on just about anything when high.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or maybe it needs to be very slow so the hard of thinking can keep up.

Fly Safe, Pyx-e

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
I can't believe some here are saying that it's interesting to watch. I can just about stomach playing it and used to at school, but watching it on TV is an abomination which makes the Baby Jesus cry.

Not in the age of digital receivers, skip and fast forward.

I suspect I also like watching golf because the strategy is eerily similar to one of my own sports, orienteering.

[ 28. February 2013, 10:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Deno. Wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
I suspect I also like watching golf because the strategy is eerily similar to one of my own sports, orienteering.
Getting lost in the rough?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SS, how do you kinow what golf club bars are like? Do you have personal experience? Or is it what I said - prejudice based on some fairy tale you've picked up?

If you had read my post you would have seen that I referred to membership-only golf clubs, not golf or even golfers.

I do have some practical and personal experience of these clubs. It was my misfortune to work for a few weeks in a Norfolk golf club of that kind. Imagine a "UKIP sports club" and you've got a fair idea what it was like.

----------------

On the subject of cricket and golf both being boring, the fundamental difference is that golf is between a player and the course while cricket is between players. But that's too obvious a difference for some to appreciate.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
Getting lost in the rough?
Effectively that's part of it, yes, as in both sports require consideration of the best route to the goal.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016