homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Golf Haters - Just Throwbacks To The 50's (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Golf Haters - Just Throwbacks To The 50's
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
SS, how do you kinow what golf club bars are like? Do you have personal experience? Or is it what I said - prejudice based on some fairy tale you've picked up?

If you had read my post you would have seen that I referred to membership-only golf clubs, not golf or even golfers.

I do have some practical and personal experience of these clubs. It was my misfortune to work for a few weeks in a Norfolk golf club of that kind. Imagine a "UKIP sports club" and you've got a fair idea what it was like.

----------------

On the subject of cricket and golf both being boring, the fundamental difference is that golf is between a player and the course while cricket is between players. But that's too obvious a difference for some to appreciate.

The UK Equality Act has made it illegal for any golf club to exclude people on gender, ethnicity, religious, sexual preference etc.

I understand a specific golf club can make itself exclusively male if the members vote for it, but that means there can be no ladies section etc, which virtually all clubs have. So clubs becoming all-male will lose revenue as they have to get rid of the lady members and their membership fee’s.

I believe that the large majority of membership clubs are now mixed sex. The number of all-male clubs is dwindling. They will all be mixed at some point.

In terms of bar attitudes, you get arseholes holding forth on their prejudices in any bar in the country! I reckon that even in Labour clubs, somebody will get onto a hobby horse after a few pints! That isn’t news, it’s just booze!

(I like cricket as well, but 5-day test is my preferred format. I think the world cup should be 20/20 for the group stages, ODI for the knockout stages and a 5-day test match for the final. Then the best team in the world really will have won)

[ 28. February 2013, 11:51: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This ad maybe highlights one of golf's premier PR problems! (I love the man's little face-pull at the end!)

Deano, well done to you and your son for finding an activity he can really get into, develop skills, away from computers, the indoors and the less attractive things youngsters can get into. I hope he does well and goes far!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and in one of those odd coincidences the name of the actor who plays “John” is Deano.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the world cup should be 20/20 for the group stages, ODI for the knockout stages and a 5-day test match for the final. Then the best team in the world really will have won

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I think the world cup should be 20/20 for the group stages, ODI for the knockout stages and a 5-day test match for the final. Then the best team in the world really will have won

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
[Killing me]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never played but I saw a film about it once so I always assume that golf clubs are all like this one.

Standard golf club.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
I suspect I also like watching golf because the strategy is eerily similar to one of my own sports, orienteering.
Getting lost in the rough?
Effectively that's part of it, yes, as in both sports require consideration of the best route to the goal.
You know, in another context the sexual content of those posts might appear objectionable.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's twice in 5 minutes I've read someone claiming that my posts have sexual content, the other one being a reference to 'the Australian position' in Dead Horses. What is with you sick fucks around here?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spring fever.

And I'm not above it all, my Hitachi Wand is currently set on "Turbo."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that picture.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, that's what I get for trying to find common ground.

Tell me you don't have a Hitachi Wand, George. Something sure seems to be jammed somewhere. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's twice in 5 minutes I've read someone claiming that my posts have sexual content, the other one being a reference to 'the Australian position' in Dead Horses. What is with you sick fucks around here?

Is it that the Northern hemisphere is only a month or so from spring?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm sayin!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my sistah in spirit needs to get laid.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fine. Maybe I do. Sue me. [Big Grin]

Anyway according to Orfeo, I;m not the only one,

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you bouncing back to good spirits Huia .

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

Sadly I own no wands of any kind but a friend did once show me her Harry Potter slash fiction does that count?

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ohdeargod.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one's linked to this yet, so I kind of feel like it's my duty to:

scene from Falling Down

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

See what you've started deano?

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
See what you've started deano?

"Heck" thread my arse!

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About three years ago, while I was still on the corporate treadmill, I was "encouraged" (as in you won't be considered for promotion unless) to put myself forward for membership of the local golf club. To join this club as a member you had to be proposed and seconded by existing members and yet the club was struggling for people. I asked why they didn't throw membership open to the general public and was told "we tried that once, somebody objected to us using <the n-word> when talking about Obama so that was the end of that". I withdrew my application and by mere coincidence got made redundant the same year. I now play at municipal courses or pay and plays where I don't need a handicap certificate.

Which brings me to the handicap certificate. To play on most non-municipal courses you need a signed handicap certificate from another golf club. It is a closed shop, you are either in the system and can play virtually anywhere or you are persona non grata and have to play at municipals. Club golfing and municipal golfing are two entirely different spheres separated by class and cash.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally broke and Googled "Hitachi Wand".

Anyway, yes, to sum up what we've learned: some golfers are horrible elitist snobs who thoroughly deserve Michael Douglas pulling a shotgun on them. As a result, the game of golf itself gets tarred with negative associations that aren't justified, causing innocent municipal golfers in some parts of the world to suffer.

Also, the Ship is a haven for Northern Hemisphere perverts with dirty minds, but this is something we confirmed rather than learned.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
I finally broke and Googled "Hitachi Wand".

@Kelly Our work here is done?

quote:
Also, the Ship is a haven for Northern Hemisphere perverts with dirty minds, but this is something we confirmed rather than learned.

My dirty mind is a constant source of solace.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still find it difficult to understand how in this day and age golf clubs can have both men and women as members, but the women aren't allowed on the course for part of each week. But that's how it seems to be in all the clubs around here.

I'm not interested in golf - I just looked on their websites in order to be appalled. And I was!

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Girls clearly have cooties.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a safety thing...women are terrible drivers <ducks>

[Devil]

[ 01. March 2013, 14:53: Message edited by: Bob Two-Owls ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Heck" thread my arse!

Just to clarify, is this part of sex tangent?

[ 01. March 2013, 15:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
It's a safety thing...women are terrible drivers <ducks>

[Devil]

I think you'll find men are worse at putting because they will insist five inches are actualy nine.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is odd really, as golf has to be he least sexy sport on the planet. Oh, OK, bowls. And curling.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Which is odd really, as golf has to be he least sexy sport on the planet. Oh, OK, bowls. And curling.

I was going to add that darts is less sexy than all three but as ane fule kno, darts is not a sport.

(OTOH, chess isn't a sport either, but a game of chess can be immensely erotic.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The Canadian Ladies Rink has a few hotties.

I'd like them to hurry hard with *my* rocks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I was going to add that darts is less sexy than all three but as ane fule kno, darts is not a sport.

(OTOH, chess isn't a sport either, but a game of chess can be immensely erotic.)

Isn't there a school of thought that says the only sports are hunting, shooting and fishing and that the rest are just 'games'?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolute gnarf chewing nonsense about curling and sexiness.

Curlers Bare All For Calender (no questionable images in link)

Curling gets sexy (no questionable images in link)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/winter-olympics/curling-gets-sexy-20100221-on8a.html:
quote:
Canada's John Morris, 31, was recently named as one of the country's most eligible bachelors by "Entertainment Tonight Canada" while US player Chris Plys, 22, was Entertainment Weekly's Olympic stud of the day.
And if you are really into it, you can find the reposts of past curling calenders, where curlers around world have bared it all for charity.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

T. S. Eliot certainly thought so. "The chair she sat in, like a burnished throne . . ."

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
(no questionable images in link)

How very disappointing.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
quote:

Isn't there a school of thought that says the only sports are hunting, shooting and fishing and that the rest are just 'games'?
Yes, there is and within that only fly fishing is a sport! Everything else is "games and pastimes".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

Ig golf isn't sexy, how come Rory Mcilroy is having it away with that sexy looking tennis player.

And how much crumpet did Tiger Woods get!!!

Golf babes know how to handle a wood!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Ig golf isn't sexy, how come Rory Mcilroy is having it away with that sexy looking tennis player.

"Miss Wozniacki, what first attracted you to millionaire golfer Rory McIlroy?"
deano
princess
# 12063

Getting plenty AND rich! Sweet.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

And how much crumpet did Tiger Woods get!!!

Golf babes know how to handle a wood!

Have you seen Rory's recent form? On the course that is. Opinions vary as to whether his new clubs or GF affect him most.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some typical right-wing, nut-job golfers.

Bunch of fascists, the lot of 'em.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Che may have been a good general, but from the look of that photo he couldn't putt for shit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Absolute gnarf chewing nonsense about curling and sexiness.

Curlers Bare All For Calender (no questionable images in link)

Curling gets sexy (no questionable images in link)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/winter-olympics/curling-gets-sexy-20100221-on8a.html :
quote:
Canada's John Morris, 31, was recently named as one of the country's most eligible bachelors by "Entertainment Tonight Canada" while US player Chris Plys, 22, was Entertainment Weekly's Olympic stud of the day.
And if you are really into it, you can find the reposts of past curling calenders, where curlers around world have bared it all for charity.
Curling? Bowls on ice, that says it all. A waste of a good brush.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
Why on Earth is the game of golf hated?
Because it's fucking boring?
As Furio Giunta once said : "Stupid-a fucking game."

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

I think any bigotry found amongst golfers is not because they are golfer, but because they are bigots.

I would hazard a guess that in a bar or pub following the playing of any sport, whether football, cricket, basketball or baseball, you will find your fair share or bigotted arseholes in roughly the same proportions as in golf club bars.

This is about money. Golf is seen as a rich man's game - it isn't - and so a certain part of society hates golf and golfers because they percieve them as wealthy, and that certain part of society hates wealthy people.

That's all it boils down to, class and income envy amongst lefties.

Get over it!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think any bigotry found amongst golfers is not because they are golfer, but because they are bigots.

I would hazard a guess that in a bar or pub following the playing of any sport, whether football, cricket, basketball or baseball, you will find your fair share or bigotted arseholes in roughly the same proportions as in golf club bars.

This is about money. Golf is seen as a rich man's game - it isn't - and so a certain part of society hates golf and golfers because they percieve them as wealthy, and that certain part of society hates wealthy people.

That's all it boils down to, class and income envy amongst lefties.

Get over it!

Golf is a rich person's sport. This does not mean middle class cannot play, but they are not on an equal footing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

My clubs cost £100 from Sports Direct. How much does decent fishing tackle cost?

Membership fee's? How much is a season ticket to Chelsea?

It isn't a rich man's sport unless you are a fifties throwback!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
My clubs cost £100 from Sports Direct. How much does decent fishing tackle cost?

Membership fee's? How much is a season ticket to Chelsea?

It isn't a rich man's sport unless you are a fifties throwback!

deano, I've already pointed out that municipal courses and membership-only clubs are totally different entities. Others have done this too and you persist in ignoring this!

It isn't a rich man's sport, but it's very much "the right kind of chap's" sport, and if you aren't of that type, you won't even get to find out what the membership fee is.

Unless you've been banned from their ground anyone, from any class and of any gender, race or religion, can buy a season ticket for a Premiership football club (although I believe a few have waiting lists).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention that Deano lives in a town that even I, a non-golfer, knows has a notoriously good municipal golf course where anyone can play. I just cycle through it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016