homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The shit-like Leo

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The shit-like Leo
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
They have no...relics at Mary Mags.

Have you seen some of the old ladies of both genders and all ages who worship there?
I gather that because this does not refer to an individual it is not a personal attack within the meaning of the Act. It is, however, a sly and nasty attack, with a subtext of sexism and homophobia, on myself and those I worship alongside.

Yuk, I feel unclean just being here.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno, I'm one of the do-gooding politically correct idiots but it brought a smirk to my face.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's possible leo was using self-deprecating humor. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to learn others have used the same phrase while thinking of him...

I can recall a time or two on the Ship when leo has been sexist, but I would have to defend him against the charge of homophobia. He has his foibles and sometimes they irritate other Shipmates no end, but his contributions in DH on this question make it clear that is not part of his makeup.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I dunno, I'm one of the do-gooding politically correct idiots but it brought a smirk to my face.

Me too.

My greatest objection is that he mangled the punchline. It's far too wordy, with the "of both genders and all ages" being entirely unnecessary. It could have been added out of malice, but I think it's more likely leo being clueless.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is something ironic about picking a slightly pejorative snide aside, slapping an inclusive qualifier after it, and ending up with something that is at once a) more prone to giving offence b) slightly nonsensical and c) less funny.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We will all smirk at that remark, until we get to the age of being a relic. Then the snarky comments will all be about the young.

I can just imagine Leo shaking his wooden stick at the OPer, needed because his hip is going. (As is mine. Ageing hippies, the lot of us.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
I gather that because this does not refer to an individual it is not a personal attack within the meaning of the Act. It is, however, a sly and nasty attack, with a subtext of sexism and homophobia, on myself and those I worship alongside.

Yuk, I feel unclean just being here.

Purity issues sweetheart?

You know Jesus mixed with the lowest of the low. It's okay. It's called incarnational faith.

leo is neither sexist (he mentioned both genders and all ages) nor homophobic.

Was a joke tight arse.

(Tho he has mentioned lots of dinosaurs live in Ecclesiantics. I suppose that makes him dinosaurist.)

[ 19. March 2013, 14:13: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we had the politically correct thread in Purgatory a little while ago, some posters (perhaps the majority, I don't remember) thought PC-ness was a great thing because it just meant being nice to one another, nothing more. I can't help but think that this is one of the possible side-effects: a horrible mangling of words that rips the guts out of what one was trying to say. (Which is not to say that Leo's original comment was worth saying in the first place.)
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
There is something ironic about picking a slightly pejorative snide aside, slapping an inclusive qualifier after it, and ending up with something that is at once a) more prone to giving offence b) slightly nonsensical and c) less funny.

Not sure about that. For me at any rate the idea that even the young men are old women is vaguely amusing in and of itself.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread amuses the bejesus out of me. It's not so long ago, on a similar hell thread, that a suggestion that leo's posts were starting to sound like those of an aged and somewhat confused and forgetful person (which he may well actually be) upset someone enough to spawn a thread in the Styx.
Leo, going by what he's said on the boards over the years, is old enough to know better than to sneer at babushkas.
If, by 'of both sexes' he's referring to fussy old men, he should look in the mirror.

[ 19. March 2013, 14:31: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

quote:
For me at any rate the idea that even the young men are old women is vaguely amusing in and of itself.

Indeed. That was what I meant under b).

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

But I'm not sure that makes it less funny. More, possibly. Indeed, it might be the entire point of the joke, such as it was.

Didn't Bernard Woolley say there were a lot of old women amongst the men in the civil service? I thought it was a rehash of that old line.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Well then we're into a) where "old woman" is thought of as some sort of insult to label a particular kind of behaviour pattern.

Perhaps it was a finely crafted piece of work to provoke us to consider all these tensions? A post-modern koan-like statement and parody of prejudice and "PC-lite".

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Yes, I'd seen that. Frustrating thing is I know exactly what he means and can't think of an equally witty but inoffensive way of saying it. Nor, I suspect, could Leo.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno. Did he mean to be mean? We're all skid marks on someone's underwear somewhere.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Yiddish term is 'alter kaker.' Pejorative. Masculine. Old fart, only a bit less complimentary than that.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
leo is neither sexist (he mentioned both genders and all ages) nor homophobic.

Just because he mentioned all ages doesn't mean it's not a sexist comment. It's a sexist comment because he used "old ladies" as a pejorative. If he had said "bloody cunts of all genders" would that not be sexist because he mentioned all genders? No, it's sexist because it's using a part of the female anatomy as an insult.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
can't think of an equally witty but inoffensive

It depends what one thinks the witty bit is.

Is it witty to use gender as an insult? If so one is going to have to choose between inoffensive and witty.

Or is it just the relic bit that is witty?

In which case one could go for self-deprecating, and refer to adding to the collection of relics by one's own attendance.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I meet with three 90 year olds every week and it is one of the highlights of my week. Why? Because they've got more character than 100 people half their age put together - these women, who everyone thinks are little unassuming old ladies, were part of the army of similarly-aged ladies who did everything during the war, all the dirty, greasy, backbreaking jobs that the men had traditionally done but had now all disappeared off to France, etc. to fight. And then had to hand the jobs back to the men when they eventually got home and go back to quietly baking scones as they were expected to do, even though they'd got quite skilled in the meantime.

They may be relics, but they are jolly interesting relics, know all the dirty jokes and don't suffer fools gladly!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Un-Hellish, to be sure, but salutes to your nonagenarian friends, Chorister, and prayers for their health and well-being.

Tom

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I apologise unreservedly for what I posted.

It has been a sort of catchphrase in anglo catholic circles for many years.

There is much that is toxic, IMO, in certain groups within anglo-catholicism and I have not distanced myself from my a/c roots as much as i sometimes think.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is a well-known Anglo-Catholic catch phrase and until this thread I honestly woudn't've thought twice about it. Guess I'd better start. Thanks

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
Un-Hellish, to be sure, but salutes to your nonagenarian friends, Chorister, and prayers for their health and well-being.

Tom

Anybody who fails to recognize the power of the Crone does so at their own peril. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must say I've always thought of it as equal opportunities bitching - in different ways, it's fairly offensive about everyone. Surely essential to life within the church.

Or possibly not.....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christ on a bike, there have been some lame hell calls recently but his takes the fucking biscuit.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sometimes wish the avatars were animated - I'd love to see the guy in the red hat saying that. [Devil]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
No, it's sexist because it's using a part of the female anatomy as an insult.

Where does that leave 'dickhead'?

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alongside twat, I imagine.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not in my universe.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Alongside twat, I imagine.

You're doing it wrong.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If he had said "bloody cunts of all genders" would that not be sexist because he mentioned all genders? No, it's sexist because it's using a part of the female anatomy as an insult.

Would 'pricks' be ok?

[edit: bloody formatting glitch, as usual.]

[ 19. March 2013, 23:46: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks around for chesterbucolic.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Breaks down and starts sobbing uncontrollably on account of having agreed to read all Hell threads.

EDIT: Arsehole is still available as a non-gender-specific body part with which to insult people. Phew.

[ 20. March 2013, 02:57: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

There is much that is toxic, IMO, in certain groups within anglo-catholicism and I have not distanced myself from my a/c roots as much as i sometimes think.

Thank you.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
It is a well-known Anglo-Catholic catch phrase and until this thread I honestly woudn't've thought twice about it. Guess I'd better start. Thanks

[unhelllikecomment]What she said[/unhelllikecomment]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[unhelllikecomment]Karl - She is a he[/unhelllikecomment]

Let me refer you to the Heavenlies.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[unhelllikecomment]Karl - She is a he[/unhelllikecomment]

Let me refer you to the Heavenlies.

[unhelllikecomment]Mea culpa; it's the Mama bit that confused me.

What is this "heaven" of which you speak?[/unhelllikecomment]

[ 20. March 2013, 10:01: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
quote:

Thank you.
I've PM'd american piskie and s/he is happy for this thread to die. Me too.

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016