homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Well, it's a start (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Well, it's a start
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got the bastards

Just need to enforce compensation payments as well. £100 per unsolicited call or text sounds fair.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news!

We have started being cold-called by robots [Roll Eyes]

Why do they do it - some people must bite?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good news. I've never heard of DM Designs before, I wonder whether they're a small company?

Nowadays, I think all kitchen showroom owners are like Dan.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scroll to the bottom & read the story cold calling: the victim who fought back

I might try the tactic myself.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes. Anyone who rings me gets told what my consultancy fees are should they ever ring again.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once gave in to a double glazing company that kept calling within months of getting new windows. The conversation went somethign like

"We have it on record that you've recently had double glazing installed" (yes, I'd told them that the last few times they called) "we can do conservatories. Would you be interested?"

"Actually I've been thinking about a conservatory for some time, when would you be able to get someone around to talk through the options?"

"We have a representative in your area with another customer at the end of this week, would that be convenient?"

"Oh, yes, that works".

"Can I just confirm your address? Thats xxxx Tower, is that correct?"

"Yes, that's correct."

"Um, is that a tower block"

"Yes, it is. We're on the 6th floor. I hope that won't cause a problem".

<click>

no further calls about double glazing.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get about 3 of these calls a day.

One day I am going to resort to the sort of reply where i ask, 'What are you wearing.....?'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of months ago we started a plan of campaign using caller display on our phone. Friends and relatives have their numbers programmed into the phone so it identifies them by name.
  • International/Out of Area calls: we don't answer (we have one relative overseas who calls roughly once a decade - if it's her she can leave a message).
  • Number Withheld: we don't answer (we have one relative whose number is ex-directory - he can leave a message).
  • Unfamiliar non-local number: we look the number up on the internet. If there's no result we answer it if it's still ringing, or check for a message if we haven't been quick enough. If it's a nuisance call we add it to the blocked numbers on the phone.
  • Local Call: we answer, they're never nuisance calls.
  • Mobile: we usually answer - I don't think we've ever had a nuisance call from a mobile.
After a couple of weeks the nuisance calls started coming at a different time of day, but now we have reduced them from at least two a day to one or two a week. I gather that if you don't answer your number is often removed from the lists (presumably after trying another time of day), and of course the blocked numbers can't get through a second time.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I once gave in to a double glazing company that kept calling within months of getting new windows. The conversation went somethign like

"We have it on record that you've recently had double glazing installed" (yes, I'd told them that the last few times they called) "we can do conservatories. Would you be interested?"

"Actually I've been thinking about a conservatory for some time, when would you be able to get someone around to talk through the options?"

"We have a representative in your area with another customer at the end of this week, would that be convenient?"

"Oh, yes, that works".

"Can I just confirm your address? Thats xxxx Tower, is that correct?"

"Yes, that's correct."

<click>

[Overused]

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago, Australia implemented a Do Not Call Register.

It would have to be one of THE most popular pieces of legislation ever introduced.

And you know what? It actually seems to work. Although it doesn't apply to charities and political parties. Nor, it must be said, to the occasional shady Indian operation that is claiming to be from Microsoft and offers to help check your computer for viruses. Haven't had one of those for quite a while, maybe the scam has closed down... But yeah, in general, the number of calls I received dropped noticeably once I registered.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:
Scroll to the bottom & read the story cold calling: the victim who fought back

I might try the tactic myself.

Nice. I could charge the same rate that work charges for my time on billable matters...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've managed to say, "Please take us off your calling list," enough times to enough companies that we get very few sales calls.

The nuisance calls we get are from people we know who seem to think that because they have a cell-phone glued to their hand we all have the same. One old codger who does the phone tree for my husband's veteran's honor guard, calls several times a week to notify him of funeral times and places. He lets the phone ring just long enough for me to toss the dog on the floor, struggle up from my chair, and stumble-run to the phone. Three rings every time, hanging up just as my hand reaches for the receiver.

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

It would have to be one of THE most popular pieces of legislation ever introduced.

And you know what? It actually seems to work. Although it doesn't apply to charities and political parties. Nor, it must be said, to the occasional shady Indian operation that is claiming to be from Microsoft and offers to help check your computer for viruses. Haven't had one of those for quite a while, maybe the scam has closed down... But yeah, in general, the number of calls I received dropped noticeably once I registered.

We have one of those - the Telephone Preference Service. If ours works at all I dread to think how many calls those who aren't on it get. And as I understand it, they have never prosecuted an organisation for breaking the terms of it.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what they've just done, if I read the BBC report correctly. DM Designs failed to check if people had opted out via the TPS, and as a result got slapped with a 90 grand fine..

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best way to deal with a cold caller

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

That is a good one. I think this one his best.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a cold call from my mobile phone company the other day. It was obviously scripted. She began by telling me that they had re-structured their prices which meant I was paying something pretty horrendous er minute per phone call and similar for each text. OK - so they got me hooked, but did they think this was going to put me in a good mood?

Then, the next stage of the script began: "Over time, that's going to add up to a lot of money, isn't it, Ms_______?"
FFS. [Roll Eyes]
I decided to go off script.
Possibly not in a polite and calm manner, I said:
Look, I'm very busy, could you please just get to the point.

At this, she went all sarky on me and declared that she couldn't possibly take up any more of my time. I asked if I could find something relevant on the website, but she declared she wasn't going to go on talking to somebody who had been "so abusive." All I can say is, she must lead a very sheltered life.

Good result - as far as I'm concerned, anyway - I later went on the website at my (comparative) leisure and signed up for the cheapest bog- standard tariff I could find, which I suspect is not what she had wanted to sell me.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

We have one of those - the Telephone Preference Service. If ours works at all I dread to think how many calls those who aren't on it get. And as I understand it, they have never prosecuted an organisation for breaking the terms of it.
The TPS is fine up to a point, and maybe i'd get even more nuisance calls without it.

Sometimes i tell the caller that I am in the TPS but they argue that they are doing a 'survey' and that isn't covered, or that I am in a database.

The most annoying calls are where a computer seems to dial loads of numbers at once and there is nobody there to listen too, just a silence. I often leave the phone off the hook when that happens - they will pay a higher phone bill.

Also annoying is when you get a recorded message.

I have to be very careful not to be rude after being stressed by these phone calls - the next call could be a funeral director or parishioner - though i take heart from a bishop who admitted to having sworn down the phone and then to discover it was somebody actually wanting the bishop of X - ie himself.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
That's what they've just done, if I read the BBC report correctly. DM Designs failed to check if people had opted out via the TPS, and as a result got slapped with a 90 grand fine..

The article says that the ICO took action after complaints directly to them and to the TPS, and that the action related to more than just the failure to check whether people had opted out - the refusal to remove people from their system was mentioned, and the threat to harass people further.

I don't believe there has ever been any action taken as a result of simply ignoring the TPS's opt-out.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[snip]

<click>

I wonder if that's the same company I got my double glazing from? Within a few months of getting the windows I was getting frequent sales calls (probably every couple of weeks) asking about replacement windows (it's windows, not bloody tights, they're supposed to last for years!) (although now I come to think of it I probably do have tights older than my windows [Hot and Hormonal] ). In the end I had a bit of a longer conversation, which followed similar lines:

"I understand you've had double glazing with us in the past; would you be interested in further replacement windows with us?"

"No thank you, you have already replaced every single window in my property. There isn't a single bit of glass that needs replacing."

"We can do doors too."

"Thanks, but I'm really happy with the door I've already got."

"What about soffits/fascias? We could do the fascia on your roof."

"This is a ground floor flat. The roof is nowhere near my property."

*click*

I'm pretty sure that was my last call from them too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have told the story of a friend's brother X, who having had a window replacement company replace his windows got a call from them shortly afterwards

caller: I am from YYY Glazing, I wonder if you would be interested in a conservatory
X: You recently replaced my windows
caller: So you will be aware of what high quality work we do
X: Yes, but I would have thought that you might have noticed I live in a second floor flat.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that Tom Mabe stuff was great! I thought I was being all original when I said, "Oh, you want to sell me something? I thought you were another bill collector!"

.....(old joke is old)....

[ 20. March 2013, 20:31: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is getting so that virtually every call on the landline is silent or a taped message or someone selling something or a fraudster. My responses to the last two are: What you are doing is illegal, and: I don't believe you.

Even with TPS registration, there are usually a couple of calls a day.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
It is getting so that virtually every call on the landline is silent or a taped message or someone selling something or a fraudster. My responses to the last two are: What you are doing is illegal, and: I don't believe you.

Even with TPS registration, there are usually a couple of calls a day.

Annoying also is the practice of using computer dialled numbers. If I answer, it takes a while for human voice to arrive as it seems nobody is watching to see if I answer my "do not call" line. I have now given up on answering unless I expect a call.

Not to mention some time ago when I answered it to be greeted by a machine. I suppose someone was surprised that call got them nowhere in sales?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Canada did that too. It was tremendously popular.

The problem is that companies who have or have had a commerical relationship with you are exempted and can call you. Bell Canada is the absolute worst. They are the local phone company in Ontario & Quebec so they have a commerical relationship with everyone. And since they are conglomerate, they cross-sell like crazy.

Until I asked to be put on their Do-Not-Call list. [Snigger] Which they have to have in-house by law. The lady didn't like honouring my request.

The other problem is that you only have to cease calling within 30 days. An enlistment on the national DNC register indicates to marketers that the phone number is active, so you get a barrage of marketing calls in the 30-day period until the deadline kicks in.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

[Killing me] The bit where his whereabouts is "work" is hilarious.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

The other problem is that you only have to cease calling within 30 days. An enlistment on the national DNC register indicates to marketers that the phone number is active, so you get a barrage of marketing calls in the 30-day period until the deadline kicks in.

The Australian system does it the right way around - it takes effect as soon as a company receives an update for the list. People are warned that it may take up to 30 days before the updated list flows through to all users, and they are told to politely inform any cold callers of that.

If it actually works that way that the list is updated from the point of some arbitrary date in the future (i.e. that's not just popular but ill-informed gossip) then it would seem that somebody in the legislative process has been taking the brown envelopes from the industry lobbyists.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Australian system does it the right way around - it takes effect as soon as a company receives an update for the list. People are warned that it may take up to 30 days before the updated list flows through to all users, and they are told to politely inform any cold callers of that.
No, Canada does it the same way as Australia, but there is a 30-day grace period for companies to process the new list. Which means there is a 30-gap between the time your name is entered on the list and the time when the absolute liability to stop calling kicks in (again, identical to Oz). So the companies have a 30-day period in which to make out like bandits with numbers they know have people behind them.

As this is Hell, I hope you get that, you dense piece of fast food. [Razz]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I divorced the ex Mr L, I had internet put on and for a while had a T*lstra landline for it. I paid for silent number. Ex was erratic and I wondered what he might do on a bad day. if he discovered my number and address. Then I found that my new number and address were listed at Sensis, despite the payment to T*lstra.

I complained and was told two separate entities and only T*lstra could ask to have a customer's name removed. although they had been given my details by T*lstra.

I kicked up a very big fuss and said that I had already told
several people of what they had done and I would be making even bigger fuss if Mr L did something stupid. Waited a day or so and checked again. My details had quietly disappeared. Now that number and my mobile are on Do Not Call register which works well, mostly.

[ 21. March 2013, 02:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am almost sobbing with laughter. [Killing me]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'Do not call' system in Canada doesn't always work very well. A cordless phone is useful. I often just say "Please wait a moment", head for the bathroom, hold it over the toilet and then flush. Sometimes additional sound effects are available... It seems to discourage them.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Telemarketer: Hello, can I speak to Mr Previous Occupant?
Ricardus: Who's calling, please?

For some reason telemarketers think this means 'yes, you are', so:

Telemarketer: Hello, Mr Previous Occupant, we have important information for you about your PPI refund.
Ricardus: Oh, yes, we've had it, thank you very much. We're very grateful to you.
Telemarketer: ... (total perplexity) ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get many calls to my landline these days. The chap in Jamaica who kept calling at 8am asking for Charlene (or it might've been Chantelle) has finally got the message that she doesn't live at this address.

I get a few recorded messages. The weirdest one recently was from some guy telling me to a local 'black' evangelical church a few hundred yards from where I live. The message was shouted down the phone by a pastor in full flow. Is it common for churches to advertise like this? It made a difference from double glazing and insurance, anyway.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a certain masochistic curiosity regarding how long it will take Sky to put us on a list of people who don't have a television. We've been cutting them off with "we don't have a television" for nearly 20 years now, even after having rung Sky directly several times to ask them to stop calling.

They ring about once a month now, which is better than the once a week it used to be.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depending on time of day and mood, I have played along. One of these was for a free trip if I answered a skill testing questions. One of those trips that you have to pay a booking fee of $300 for. So it's both annoying and crap.

I identified Chicago as Canada'a capital city (I think I was thinking of Dan Quayle at the time - is equally vacuous and stupid Sarah Palin related?) and they told me that I won anyway. The discussion of cheating and dishonesty and going to hell for it resulted in a hang up.

I have also told the marketter that the person they want is dead and were they coming to get the body.

Kurt Danziger author of an older but good book, The Pragmatics of Human Communication was my inspiration since the 1970s on this sort of thing. He described in the 1960s how he would tell marketters that he worked in a sensitive industry and required their security clearance before speaking to them. He also told them their calls were recorded and sent to military intelligence.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use it as an opportunity for evangelism. I ask if they've accepted Jesus as their lord and saviour.

Usually they go away pretty quick after that.

Doesn't work on the blasted recorded messages though.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of many reasons I'm glad about my current location. I don't think we've had a cold call since we moved here. Our technician at work sometimes get them, and they offer to have their sales rep, who is "in your area" call around. He of course agrees, tells them to pop in any time, and ends the call. This is because they think every postcode that begins PA must be somewhere near Paisley. Heh, heh, heh...
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but you all are giving me inspiration. I DO like the evangelism angle... [Two face]

Like, you have the "gap" because it takes the robot dialer a few seconds to connect you to a live person once it has detected your speaking on the line. Keep a little voice recorder handy and after they get on and ask for a person, play a pitch from some TV infomercial (or, as another suggested upthread, some toilet noises, or worse...) Or keep up the conversation with a similar delay of 4 or 5 seconds... Still the prank murder investigation takes the cake, that's just gold...

Or if you have time to kill, just keep them on the line, diverting the conversation every which way, dragging it out as long as possible. Oh shame on me! But geeze it'd be fun! Every time they actually bring it around to what they are pitching, fake a diversion, or you didn't hear them... I wonder how long you could keep it up, it'd almost be like a game.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had an argument with a rep from my broadband provider. I didn't think that I should provide security details given that they had 'phoned me.
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:
No, Canada does it the same way as Australia, but there is a 30-day grace period for companies to process the new list. Which means there is a 30-gap between the time your name is entered on the list and the time when the absolute liability to stop calling kicks in (again, identical to Oz). So the companies have a 30-day period in which to make out like bandits with numbers they know have people behind them.

As this is Hell, I hope you get that, you dense piece of fast food. [Razz]

I've worked in an inbound call centre (taking calls from customers, not cold calling) but we still had to accept the DNC list updates for some bureaucratic reason despite not doing cold calls. I can confirm that in Australia the "absolute liability" kicks in the moment that the the updated list is received, there's no grace period between a company finding out a number has been DNC'ed and that registration taking effect.

Sorry kiddo, another fail there. Better get off the bottle [Razz]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
I just had an argument with a rep from my broadband provider. I didn't think that I should provide security details given that they had 'phoned me.

Completely agree. I have had this in the past, and I did not provide them with anything other than the information that I wouldn't have the conversation. It could be a phishing call.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The temptation is to do a Calvin and order a pizza, regardless of what they're trying to sell. Unless it is pizza, of course.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have said that the single most effective offputting thing I have found to say to a telemarketer is "no thanks, we're poor." There is usually a pause of disbelief as they try to process that someone has actually admitted the fact. [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:

Completely agree. I have had this in the past, and I did not provide them with anything other than the information that I wouldn't have the conversation. It could be a phishing call.
I had in interesting incident a few months ago where my credit card company called and left a message asking me to call them back at their toll-free number, which they included, to discuss some suspicious card activity. Since I did not know which credit card company it was, I could not verify the number. When I called them back, they asked me for my name and account number. I gave them my name, but said that they should be giving me the account number since they asked me to call them. Naturally, they couldn't do so and after a bit of discussion, they tried to look up a record of the original call but found none.

I eventually asked for a supervisor, who told me that the original call was probably a phishing attempt of a kind they were aware of: the phisher leaves a message including the legitimate phone number of the credit card company, but really hopes to be able to get the customer to answer the call rather than call the phone number. All in all, I spent a fair amount of time on the matter, but ended up that much the wiser for doing so.

With regard to responding to unwanted sales pitches, I have way too little imagination and acting ability to be able to pull any kind of hoax on them (much to my chagrin after learning about the possibilities from this thread). Instead, I rely on the advice my brother gave me after he finished a sales training course: never give them a reason - just say you're not interested and leave it at that. Any reason you give is leverage for them to use to continue the conversation. It has worked well for me over the years, and in the worst cases I've simply repeated my self a couple of times and then said "I'm really not interested so I'm hanging up now."

[ 22. March 2013, 04:20: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I regret that I never seem to be able to find this when I get one of these calls.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Depending on time of day and mood, I have played along. One of these was for a free trip if I answered a skill testing questions. One of those trips that you have to pay a booking fee of $300 for. So it's both annoying and crap.

I identified Chicago as Canada'a capital city (I think I was thinking of Dan Quayle at the time - is equally vacuous and stupid Sarah Palin related?) and they told me that I won anyway.

I was once asked who the first US president was. I said Abraham Lincoln. They replied that that was close enough.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember listening to my Grandfather, then in his eighties, answering a cold call from a local dancing school. He kept the lady on the line for some time, discussing details of the available dancing classes, and eventually agreed to be sent some registration forms and join up to something extremely energetic. He then ended the conversation with "Oh thank you - it's so lovely to be asked to join in, dear. I take it that it won't be a problem that my wife's in a wheelchair and I have a wooden leg?" (They were actually both very healthy and mobile at the time!)

All the best,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have all the TPS stuff too, and a notice on the door saying 'No unsolicited sales' but it doesn't help in all cases.

I just tell people we only rent this dump! [Devil] (surprisingly successful).

LC - doesn't telling them you're poor just encourage them to offer you a financing package?

Mrs. S - up with this she will not put!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

I identified Chicago as Canada'a capital city (I think I was thinking of Dan Quayle at the time - is equally vacuous and stupid Sarah Palin related?) and they told me that I won anyway.

I was once asked who the first US president was. I said Abraham Lincoln. They replied that that was close enough.

Moo

ha. who was it?
Isn't it one of those trick questions...

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

LC - doesn't telling them you're poor just encourage them to offer you a financing package?!

Nope--the key is to use the word embarrassing word "poor" and not the arguable euphemism "we can't afford it." THAT will bring on the financing push!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016