homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Has Bill O'Reilly Finally Flipped? (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Has Bill O'Reilly Finally Flipped?
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Reposted without Officialese BS, following Adminly and Hostly advice :

For a variety of reasons, such as the time it takes them to load, our need to view them in their entirety and the possibility that some may not be visible to shipmates (or hosts) elsewhere in the world, please think twice before you post links to videos, like Youtube and clips from TV shows.

After you have thought about it, and thought about it again, just don't fuckin' do it. Unless it's absolutely essential and short. Five minutes, just for the record, isn't short. Two minutes max, please.

- which reflects my feelings on the matter. It isn't a rule, just a strong personal preference.

Thanks folks,

Sioni

Sioni Sais,

Due to having seen this three times I can honestly say that I've thought about it, and thought about it again, and I believe that it is within the thinking and rethinking that you and I often fail to communicate.

You see, usually if I think something is a good idea, and then think about it again -- I still think it's a good idea. I can go years without changing my views on most things so a few minutes aren't likely to bring about greater wisdom and discretion. I thought my "Forwarders," link was funny and might be enjoyed by some others on the ship at 10:56 and would have thought the same at 10:59.

It was news to me that people in the UK couldn't see it and also news that a host might find the five minutes it took to view a comic video to be even more tedious than the many minutes, even hours, that it takes to read all our posts. So now I know those things and won't do it again.

However, my point is, while thinking twice wouldn't work for me, "Don't fuckin' do it." gets the message across just fine and was all you ever needed to say. Please accept my apology and rest assured that I, for one, will never, post another link to anything. Ever.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

OK, this whole conversation is really hitting me with the silly stick. One the one hand, Sioni's post about the links was a tiny bit on the whineypants side. You know I love you, man, but just a little bit.

On the other hand Twilight's post just reminded me very strongly of a four year old boy I used to work with. Mostly he was a great kid, but every two or three days we would have a conversation like this:

Me: Adam, can you ride the bike on the ground and not on the porch? More room there.

Adam:(slamming bike on ground) FINE. I'M JUST NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING!

At which point he would storm off and sit on the bench and fold his arms and do his best Han Solo encased in carbonite impression. For, like, an hour.

Yeah, Twilight, I just compered you to a four-year-old. IOW, if you are going to sulk like that, you better be four years old and really damn cute for it to be tolerable.. Jeez, the guy dialed it down, what more do you want?

[ 24. March 2013, 19:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dialed it down? I thought he was saying it for the third time because he thought we just. didn't. get. it, and I was trying to assure him that we did, we really, really did get it.

I was also promising not to link anything at all ever, not in a fling-it-on-the-floor sense but in a further attempt to calm down the worries. After all I've had Sioni Sais so worried about my posts in the past that he has seriously thought I had (in his words)"Put the ship at peril."

That's why I felt the need to solemnly promise to never, ever again post a link lest he lie awake nights tossing and turning over all that might happen. After all, I can't think of a single thing I might link to that might possibly be slow to load or unviewable to someone in some remote region, so, yes, I thought the "anything, ever," was called for in order to cover all possibilities and grant him peace.

I may resemble a four year old in many ways but I am not angry in the least.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sigh) He was removing the host tags and re-framing the post as personal opinion. In order to dial it down.You keep being mad if you want, but you're doing it for your own entertainment, as far as I am concerned.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

As I took pains to explain, I was never mad at Sioni Sais. I was just trying to reassure him that I understood and that, with or without host tags, "don't fuckin' do it" was pretty clear.

I've dealt with upset people in the past when it goes something like this:
Upsetty: Don't put your purse on the coffee table!
Me: Oh sure fine, I'll keep it in lap.
Upsetty: The dog will get it!
Me: Oh okay, I see. I won't put it there.
Upsetty: He's outside now but he might come in!
Me: Right, I'll keep it with me.
Upsetty: You don't know! If you put it there he might tear it to shreds while you aren't looking.
Me: {In a soothing voice.) I understand. I won't put my purse there. Not anytime. Ever.

See the "ever," doesn't always have to be spoken in anger like a four year-old having a fit. Sometimes people need to hear the long, wide assurance before they feel that you really understood their warning.

So you may choose to read my post in the sulky voice of your four year-old friend but it was written to Sioni Sais while I was feeling friendly amusement toward him and was wishing to apologize for getting on his nerves while explaining something to him about the useless admonition to think twice -- something he has said to me several times in the past.

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Am I missing something here, or is this man a fucking idiot?

You're missing something. He has a television program. His job is to attract an audience that will see the advertisements paid for by his sponsors. His market, like those who are on other news type channels, is those who like to see things that will get them riled up.

I'd personally recommend you watch TCM instead, especially when a Greer Garson movie is on. She's hot.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nick, you're my kinda guy.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate Easter in all of its glory. We should use the word, not be ashamed of it.

We have Easter eggs and Easter bunnies and have had them for a good while now. Why drop the word Easter?

Hmm, so in other words, you're saying that if we can use the word 'Easter' for something that happens around the right of time of year but that has absolutely nothing to with the story of Christ's death and resurrection, that's a good thing?

Excellent. Lots of Easter sales in the shops. Easter football games. Both of my parents can have Easters instead of birthdays (hey, sometimes it even matches pretty well). I'm having Easter breakfasts for the next 2 weeks. Wearing Easter clothes.

Easter editions of my favourite TV shows. And the ones I don't like as well, actually. It will be Easter garbage collection tomorrow night, and probably again in a week's time.

If you ask me, defining Easter as referring to a particular thing rather than referring to every March/April-ish thing under the sun would be a step to be applauded, not fought. Plenty of people no longer have a damn clue what Easter is apart from hot cross buns (the reason for a cross eludes them) and chocolate eggs. So taking the word Easter off the chocolate eggs is actually a perfect opportunity to explain what Easter, as a holiday (literally) is about.

Settle down sunshine, you’re making yourself look more of an idiot than usual.

We don’t have a tradition of Easter sales, Easter football games or what-have-you.

We do have a tradition of Easter EGGS and Easter BUNNIES.

Why drop the word Easter from something that has been used with the word Easter for probably centuries now?

We don’t need to tag it on to new stuff, but why drop it from the old. It can only be because someone believes the word Easter is offensive to some groups of people and has dropped it in order to attract that group to the event.

But who is offended by it, or is the offense actually imaginary; a potential offense that has been thought up by one of the organisers?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We don’t have a tradition of Easter sales, Easter football games or what-have-you.

If you'd been paying attention, "sunshine", you'd know that appealing to tradition impresses me not at all. To paraphrase Cyprian, that just means that potentially a mistake was made a long time ago instead of recently.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If you'd been paying attention, "sunshine", you'd know that appealing to tradition impresses me not at all. To paraphrase Cyprian, that just means that potentially a mistake was made a long time ago instead of recently.
But who is to decide it was a mistake, then or now? Because I don't think you have the wit to.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

But who is to decide it was a mistake, then or now? Because I don't think you have the wit to.
Well, as others have already said, if you can mount a convincing case for a relationship between a rabbit bouncing over the lawn delivering avian chocolates and the Passion Week narratives of the four gospels, I'm quite willing to hear it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, as others have already said, if you can mount a convincing case for a relationship between a rabbit bouncing over the lawn delivering avian chocolates and the Passion Week narratives of the four gospels, I'm quite willing to hear it.
There isn't any. I said so in my first or second post on this thread. Do try to keep up.

But why bother changing the name of something that has been known by a particular name for centuries? It might not be spiritually correct but everyone knows what is meant!

If there is a compelling reason to change the name - other than to avoid some imaginary offense - then I would like to hear it.

Nobody has made that case yet. You have wittered on about "tradition is bad" and others have said "Oh the guy saying it's wrong is nasty so he must be wrong".

But nobody has yet told me why there is such an urgency, such an all-powerful NEED to rename these events.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
But why bother changing the name of something that has been known by a particular name for centuries? It might not be spiritually correct but everyone knows what is meant!

Well no, they don't. I've already made that point (or weren't you paying attention?). I've known quite a few people who grew up knowing about the Easter bunny and chocolate eggs without having any clear idea why Easter also had this day called 'Good Friday' attached to it. I actually wouldn't be surprised if my own nephew and niece didn't know that Easter had any Christian religious significance.

In that circumstance, it's damned hard to see how removing the word 'Easter' from something that has no meaning for many people other than "yum, chocolates!" has any significance for good old-fashioned values whatsoever. If Cadbury's gets the naming rights, the only people who should be manufacturing outrage over it are stockholders in Nestle.

"Everyone knows" is usually code for "I know, and I'm the measure of the ordinary person".

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

Well you can make that argument about anything if we studiously ignore TEACHING people about things.

So nobody has made an effort to TEACH your nieces and nephews about Easter, so your conclusion is that we should drop the word Easter! Hmmm. No… not so much.

Perhaps it would be better to explain the significance of Easter, what Good Friday means, and that we also give gifts of chocolate to celebrate the end of winter and beginning of spring, and because the two things coincide, we call the eggs Easter eggs, because we give them at Easter.

It’s TWO celebrations for the price of one.

So again, why the compelling need to drop the word Easter, when TEACHING would seem to be the more sensible option?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
and that we also give gifts of chocolate to celebrate the end of winter and beginning of spring

If I do THAT particular bit of teaching, the whole thing is going to unravel mighty fast. Best rethink the syllabus.

Because it's not bad enough that my relatives are largely unchurched. They're also Australian.

I'm all for teaching them about the true meaning of Easter, mind you. But as to why that involves explaining the significance of the chocolates, when you've previously agreed the chocolates have no relationship with the story I want to tell them...

There's no obvious reason for me attempting to teach THAT part. Besides, they already know they get chocolates. That's not the part they're missing, is it?

[ 25. March 2013, 13:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
and that we also give gifts of chocolate to celebrate the end of winter and beginning of spring

If I do THAT particular bit of teaching, the whole thing is going to unravel mighty fast. Best rethink the syllabus.
Err, no it wont. In exactly the same way that at Christmas we have decorated tree's and yule logs - all symbols of a previous, paganistic celebration that has been superseded by the celebration of Christ’s birth. We’ve kept some of the fun bits, called the Christmas Tree’s and Christmas Cakes at so on, and why not.

Same with Easter. It is primarily a celebration of Christ’s Passion and Resurrection, and the wonderful Good News that that event has brought. It has superseded the older paganistsic celebration of spring being the end of winter and a time when new life and growth has begun. Again we’ve kept some of the fun bits and called the Easter Eggs and Easter Bunnies. And why not.

The word Easter doesn’t have to be dropped, just explained properly.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

You know, I don't find "and why not" much of a basis for being outraged if someone decides they're going to do it differently. "And why not" is not a basis for fighting against another person's free choice.

"There's nothing wrong with doing it" is hardly a compelling foundation for asserting "there's something wrong with NOT doing it".

Hence the amusement at both Bill O'Reilly's reaction and yours.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
You know, I don't find "and why not" much of a basis for being outraged if someone decides they're going to do it differently. "And why not" is not a basis for fighting against another person's free choice.

"There's nothing wrong with doing it" is hardly a compelling foundation for asserting "there's something wrong with NOT doing it".

Oh please. I said it was a bit sad. I’m not outraged. This is too facile to be outraged about.

Is this what outrage looks like to you? Asking why someone has done something? That isn’t outrage, just a request for information.

What you have said, in effect, is “These people don’t have to offer a word of explanation because they have chosen to do this all by themselves”.

Fair enough. I agree, it’s a free country and if that’s what they want to do, good luck. All I was asking is “why?”

I just thought with all the heat and light on this thread that someone could have said “why”. But all you have come up with is “because they can!!”

[ 25. March 2013, 13:51: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Oh please. I said it was a bit sad. I’m not outraged. This is too facile to be outraged about.

Is this what outrage looks like to you? Asking why someone has done something? That isn’t outrage, just a request for information.

What you have said, in effect, is “These people don’t have to offer a word of explanation because they have chosen to do this all by themselves”.

Fair enough. I agree, it’s a free country and if that’s what they want to do, good luck. All I was asking is “why?”

I just thought with all the heat and light on this thread that someone could have said “why”. But all you have come up with is “because they can!!”

Ooh. I love how you went with a double exclamation-marked, slightly aggressive "because they can!!" rather than a simple "why not?".

If it's too facile to be outraged about, then someone ought to tell Mr O'Reilly. Which is where the thread started. Bemusement with Mr O'Reilly. If you agree that Mr O'Reilly's reaction is stupid, and if you agree that no explanation of the decision to call an egg hunt something other than an Easter egg hunt is required, you could have saved us all a lot of time by not asking "why" in the first place.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it worth raising the issue that, in Australia, a Spring Egg Hunt must of necessity occur in the autumn?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, there is a "War on Easter" now as well? If it is as effective as the "War on Christmas," they will both be celebrated the whole fucking year.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
So, there is a "War on Easter" now as well? If it is as effective as the "War on Christmas," they will both be celebrated the whole fucking year.

If it's as effective as the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terrorism" then it's in no danger whatsoever.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
deano:
quote:
Speak for yourself.

Though the grand tradition of medieval football has been corrupted by FIFA.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
that looks like fun!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why drop the word Easter from something that has been used with the word Easter for probably centuries now?

We don’t need to tag it on to new stuff, but why drop it from the old. It can only be because someone believes the word Easter is offensive to some groups of people and has dropped it in order to attract that group to the event.

But who is offended by it, or is the offense actually imaginary; a potential offense that has been thought up by one of the organisers?

There you go again trying to impose your narrative of (whisper it less you get punished) oppressed Christians being forced to abandon labels they love because of the evil Libruls.

I can think of other reasons, many of the organizers of the festivity and many of the participants might not be Christian and don't see the need to make it religious event.
But that can't be... Deano has stated the only reason that it would not be labeled Easter even though he knows nothing of the specific circumstances of the events O'Reilly is fulminating about.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here in the U.S. of A. i've come across the occasional Easter sale. In this country there is nothing that can't be used for marketing purposes

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
[Deano has stated the only reason that it would not be labeled Easter even though he knows nothing of the specific circumstances of the events O'Reilly is fulminating about.

Let's be fair - O'Reilly knows nothing of the specific circumstances of the events O'Reilly is fulminating about, so why should our boy deano?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
[Deano has stated the only reason that it would not be labeled Easter even though he knows nothing of the specific circumstances of the events O'Reilly is fulminating about.

Let's be fair - O'Reilly knows nothing of the specific circumstances of the events O'Reilly is fulminating about, so why should our boy deano?
That's really not unusual for a television fulminator. I don't care who it is or what channel they are on.

My friend for over 45 years now was the subject of a national news item a few years back. He received death threats, nasty name calling, everything you can imagine. The thing is, not one of the news reports even came close to the reality of what happened.

The news is usually pretty good at giving us the ball scores and that's about it.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, and it shows O'Reilly is a reactionary fuckwit, and it shows the same thing about deano.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Yes, and it shows O'Reilly is a reactionary fuckwit, and it shows the same thing about deano.
Never heard of the man but he sounds like a pussy in the reactionary stakes, but as a fuckwit, I bow to your skills ms. You are the God of fuckwiticism, and I can't hold a candle to you you. I'd like to but I can't.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Never heard of the man

You haven't? Of all the people on TV he is one of them.

I quit watching the news and commentary shows a good while ago since I've already figured out that the world isn't perfect and we're all going to die. When that changes it won't take a talking head to tell me about it.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
Never heard of the man

I'm not sure but i think deano is in the u.k.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is. Fox News is available if one has a Sky subscription (both are owned by Rupert Murdoch) but I doubt many people watch it and the channel has a low profile in the UK, never mind individual presenters.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:
quote:
Never heard of the man

I'm not sure but i think deano is in the u.k.
According to wikipedia Fox News is shown over there. I don't know if they have a British version like the BBC seems to have an American-themed news show here or if it is the same. But then, with all the channels on cable there's lots of shows I've never heard of, either. I do wish Here Comes Honey Boo Boo was one of them. Her mother looks like Ben Franklin in drag.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the same version, as far as I'm aware, except that it switches to international weather forecasts during the commercial breaks.
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

In addition to being a talking head, O'Reilly sells lots of books, too.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

They definitely have a low profile in the UK.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
He is. Fox News is available if one has a Sky subscription (both are owned by Rupert Murdoch) but I doubt many people watch it and the channel has a low profile in the UK, never mind individual presenters.

I watch it from time to time, mostly for the fun and laughter effect of some of the ludicrous commentary. Some of the current news coverage is very good, particularly breaking news in the USA. However, I find the comment and commentary on current affairs to be completely right-wing-biased, particularly in the way it represents mainstream news outlets themselves as biased and part of a "liberal conspiracy".

Never say never, but the chances of us having a Fox News equivalent in the UK are very small. Sky News (Sky being part of the Murdoch empire) is pretty good. There were concerns about what might happen to Sky News under certain change-of-control circumstances, but they have been mostly allayed thanks to the phone-tapping and associated influence-peddling scandals. Murdoch took a big hit as a result of those.

In UK political terms, Fox News is to the right of UKIP, which is to the right of the Tories, which is to the right of the Liberal Democrats, which is to the right of Labour. Given that those mainstream parties give a reasonable picture of the width of general public opinion in the UK, a Fox-type News channel would be unlikely to attract and maintain much of an audience. It would probably get laughed off the air.

[ 27. March 2013, 13:30: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In addition to being a talking head, O'Reilly sells lots of books, too.

Selling lots of something proves little. The best selling national newspapers* in Britain are The Sun (c 2.5 million per day) and the Daily Mail (c 1.9m). Our best selling brands in 2009 were Coca-Cola, Warburton's (sliced bread) then Walker's (crisps).

*To give an idea of scale The Guardian, beloved of the chatterati, sells about 200,000 daily.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

In UK political terms, Fox News is to the right of UKIP, which is to the right of the Tories, which is to the right of the Liberal Democrats, which is to the right of Labour. Given that those mainstream parties give a reasonable picture of the width of general public opinion in the UK, a Fox-type News channel would be unlikely to attract and maintain much of an audience. It would probably get laughed off the air.

Sorry Barney, I'm afraid you're another Brit who doesn't realise (or maybe accept) the extent of xenophobia and small-mindedness amongst the British. Maybe I meet more pretty ordinary under-30's (as opposed to the reasonably well-educated ones found on the Ship), but many of "us" have a very nasty streak, with no concept of common humanity.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but as a fuckwit, I bow to your skills ms. You are the God of fuckwiticism, and I can't hold a candle to you you. I'd like to but I can't.

I think you do yourself a massive injustice, deano.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I watch it from time to time, mostly for the fun and laughter effect of some of the ludicrous commentary.

I used to dip in and out of it when I had access to Sky (I don't anymore).

I think my favourite moment was when watching some kind of panel discussion shortly after the invasion of Iraq. It was in the early days when things (particularly in the British-occupied south) were quiet.

The leader of the Shia Moslems, a chap called al-Sistani, had issued a warning that although things were quiet now, that might not always be the case. As I understand it, al-Sistani is a rather austere cleric who lives in a very remote house in the desert and leads a rather ascetic lifestyle, surrounded by his followers.

The panel on Fox were discussing this 'warning' and one of the panellists, outraged, declared 'who is this guy?! I've never seen his website!'.

I thought that rather summed up the television station.

quote:
Selling lots of something proves little.

Does it not prove popularity? I'm not sure what else it's being claimed that it proves.

quote:
Sorry Barney, I'm afraid you're another Brit who doesn't realise (or maybe accept) the extent of xenophobia and small-mindedness amongst the British.

While these things exist, I wouldn't have said that they are overwhelmingly common. How do you think these traits exhibit themselves?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

quote:
Sorry Barney, I'm afraid you're another Brit who doesn't realise (or maybe accept) the extent of xenophobia and small-mindedness amongst the British.

While these things exist, I wouldn't have said that they are overwhelmingly common. How do you think these traits exhibit themselves?
Well, here, for one place.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

quote:

Does it not prove popularity? I'm not sure what else it's being claimed that it proves.

I don't deny it proves something, but I don't rate popularity very highly. It's the basis for selecting our government after all, but guarantees little more than an opportunity to remove those we elected.
quote:

quote:

As I mentioned it's mostly in people a bit younger than me, (maybe not under-30's, possibly 25-40s) both at work and elsewhere. It's what many say, manifest in what they do, and too many are entirely unable to contemplate anything "not like us".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't rate popularity very highly. It's the basis for selecting our government after all, but guarantees little more than an opportunity to remove those we elected.

And here I was thinking that the basis for selecting public officials was willful misrepresentation on the officials' part plus willful ignorance on voters'.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:

It proves all you need proven if you are in the business of selling it.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps I am a member of a "protected species", Sioni?

Put another way, neither of my sons is into me-me-ism or any kind of Fox-audience obsessions, nor are the hundreds of young people (growing up now) who I got to know very well via youth ministries. They aren't all in the church by any means.

I appreciate the "underclass" concerns but I know quite a lot of young folks from that background who don't do xenophobia, extreme nationalism, "real Brits" as opposed to "real Americans", etc.

I'm sure they are around, of course. The long, difficult economic down-cycle time does tend to increase pressure in favour of "our own", which explains a bit about the rise in UKIP popularity. But UKIP is not the UK version of the Tea Party. I suppose the nearest thing to that in UK terms is to be found amongst some of the nouveau-riche, but I don't know too many of them. I know quite a lot of nouveau-pauvre, however, and they don't fit the Foxy stereotype.

But YMMV. I'm quite glad there are some powerful voices arguing, "Fox News over here? Over my dead body!". However big or small the risk.

[ 27. March 2013, 18:35: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of O'Reilly flipping:

O'Reilly 2009: Legalizing same-sex marriage will lead to bestiality!!!

O'Reilly 2013: I have no problem with gay marriage.

For an extra dose of mendacity, that second clip has a tirade about how sleazy Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are for changing their position on the issue.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

For an extra dose of mendacity, that second clip has a tirade about how sleazy Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are for changing their position on the issue.

[Killing me]

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

Perhaps he's tried his hand (or indeed fist!) at a bit of man-sized sheep-worrying, and is now grateful that gay marriage has enabled him to free his inner goat.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016