homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » MarkBetts, Malicious Libeller, Bigot? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MarkBetts, Malicious Libeller, Bigot?
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems I am breaking, for real this time, my principled opposition against hell calls, though I can hold up the fig leaf that it is only a hell call if Mark wants it to be. This is Mark's chance to defend himself.

Twice now, most recently on this thread, Mark has brought up a silly survey that claims Anglicans are all heretics, and the only reason he has to believe it is that it confirms his prejudices. Though its weaknesses continue to be pointed out, he keeps bringing it up, because he, like all bigots, apparently feels he doesn't have an obligation to not slander people with weak sources.

Mark, telling me to buy a booklet is not a defense against the weaknesses of the survey. If you are going to make the accusations, you have to do the work. If you think no weaknesses have been pointed out, then reread the thread and the other one you brought that survey up in. They are not empty accusations- they are accusations which you can bring absolutely no defense against besides telling us to by the stupid booklet.

Have you read the the survey guide yourself? By all means tell us what it says. You have to do the work of defending your assertions, it is your job to make me believe them. Once again, I am not asking for anything one wouldn't demand of a journalist or a academic. In civilized discourse, it is the job of the accuser to make the case. In the real world, one is perfectly supposed to dismiss unsubstantiated claims. The default is not assuming the truth of claims like that. It is not MY job to verify your sources. Do it, or shut the hell up.

Then again, I am making assumptions here. Maybe you just don't give a shit that your sources are weak, maybe you are fully aware that you only believe it because it conveniently confirms your hatred. Just let us know if that is that case. And continued refusal to either defend the source's methods or to drop the slander is, I have to point out, very compelling evidence to that end.

You can go on believing the survey if you want. I really don't care. Stew in your own hatred until doomsday if you want. It sure seems odious bigots never die, so maybe it will make you live longer. I just don't see what's so untoward about asking that you not slander us with weak sources. Though once again, like many bigots it is possible that you think you are absolved of basic decency when it comes to Anglicans.

Once again, if you feel you are absolved of basic decency towards Anglicans, just let us know.

TL/DR: Mark Betts, put up or shut up.

[ 31. March 2013, 12:09: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very much a TLDR.

How are we heretics?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zack82 you are talking total crap, and why was there no Hell call in the purgatory thread?

Anyway, I'm not wasting any more time talking to you about this - I've told you where the information is, but you prefer to remain wilfully ignorant because you're afraid the truth might hurt you.

I'm not coming back to this, so "have a nice day."

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somehow, I knew in my heart what Mark's response would be. Practically word for word. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark dear child, I think you might want to revisit your debate style. The "I have superior knowledge because I have read something you have not read; you must come up to my level of knowledge" debate move has never actually worked.

Let me tell you why (because I believe you are actually reading this thread no matter how convincing your flounce.) Such a debate move makes people think you are arrogant. Now, of course you and I know you are not arrogant. You are simply correct. It is they who are arrogant for not believing your well thought out assertions. It is a shame that they have to wallow in their ignorance of not finding the one and only true path to G*d.

But, being the good Orthodox you are, you also understand that people can only come closer to G*d by prayer, contemplation, study and opening a path in their hearts and minds for G*d to reveal more of G*d's divine self to them. Perhaps the poor fools here might feel more contemplative and open if they were not infuriated. It is just a thought.

Perhaps you could think of some other way of expressing yourself?

[Edited because I can neither spell, nor proof read well enough.]

[ 31. March 2013, 13:02: Message edited by: Tortuf ]

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still curious about the charge of heresy.

Go on

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

All you have to do is order a 60 page survey guide from some guy in the internet, Evensong. If you don't inform yourself it's your own fault.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tortuf:
quote:
Perhaps you could think of some other way of expressing yourself?
Why, when his way is so much more satisfying?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
All you have to do is order a 60 page survey guide from some guy in the internet, Evensong. If you don't inform yourself it's your own fault.

I couldn't get past the pink wallpaper on the links.

Pink?

Pink?

No self respecting anyone would use pink wallpaper.

Then there was a bunch of reference to AffCaff and Fiffs.

Who the fuck are they?

I'm Broad Church Anglican.

( You know, the type that accepts Broads)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem here, as so often, is that Mark Betts can't bring himself to accept that there are people of genuine faith and conviction who, nonetheless, disagree with both him and his fellow travellers on issues surrounding the ordination of women and gay people.

This is why we get constant waffle rather than a list of the supposed Catholic doctrines which Affirming Catholicism denies. Because all he can point to with any certainty are those two issues, which everyone knows about because they're right there in the aims of the movement.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The link to buy the book brought bright, contrasting colours and a primitive layout. It hurt my eyes to view that page. It is not an uncommon design for the fruitloop set. There is a study indicating a poor sense of smell is a marker for a psychopath. Perhaps that colour scheme is a marker for a different sort of mental disorder.
Fairly sure MB won't pop down to defend. Two thoughts on that: if he defends the survey, the arguments become his. Big difference to merely linking to a nutter. Or he knows he does not have the ability to defend his position.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

He's ordering us to buy the booklet because he hasn't read it himself. He won't defend it because he can't. The only thing that he knows about it is that it confirms his prejudices.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As much as I bother to think about bettsy ,,,,,, didn't he used to be a heretical anglican before converting to the one true faith of bettsyism and wouldn't that explain it all?

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good call Zach. This is meant to be a discussion baord, not a "buy stuff off the internet because I'm too lazy to discuss" board.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Zack82 you are talking total crap, and why was there no Hell call in the purgatory thread?

A notififation of a Hell call is no more than a courtesy, and you know enough about Hell to know that courtesy is rare hereabouts.
quote:

Anyway, I'm not wasting any more time talking to you about this - I've told you where the information is, but you prefer to remain wilfully ignorant because you're afraid the truth might hurt you.

I'm not coming back to this, so "have a nice day."

Fine by me.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hostly Notice

Mark Betts has opened another, close related, thread in Hell so to prevent the debate and diatribes getting divided, I have closed that and here is Mark Betts opener from that thread:

"
Zach82 has kindly opened another thread about me down here, which he didn't even have the courtesy to inform me of in the relevant Purgatory thread. I have quickly abandoned that, as he is incapable of answering even a simple question.

What I want to know is, whenever Zack82 gets in a spat with anyone, why does he assume everyone is going to be on his side? So much so, that it always seems to be "we" instead of "I", and "us" instead of "myself". Does he think he has his own gang on here, in which, naturally, he is the leader?

...or is he turning into Gollum?

Here are some examples:

quote:Originally posted by Zach82:
Mark, we've been through this before with that survey. Do you just not give a crap that it's insincere and unsubstantiated?

I humbly suggest that we've pointed out enough of that survey's glaring weaknesses by now, in more than one thread no less.

...Have you read the the survey guide yourself? By all means tell us what it says...

...Just let us know if that is that case....

...I just don't see what's so untoward about asking that you not slander us with weak sources...

He's ordering us to buy the booklet because he hasn't read it himself. He won't defend it because he can't...

Unlike him, I have put a note in the Purgatory thread to him and others if they are interested.
"

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

eta: quotes added to separate mine and Mark Betts' contributions.

[ 31. March 2013, 18:17: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The reason Zach is able to say "we" in these circumstances is because there is more than one person pointing out how ludicrous your arguments are, Mark Betts.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark, even though it is not Easter for you, it is for me. This day represents the day our Lord arose from the dead and ascended into Heaven to sit at the right hand of G*d.

So, while my attempt at help contained some sarcasm, for which I apologize, I will not insult you on Easter. Please try to think of the rest of us as actual, perhaps even nice, people. Maybe if you can get your head around that concept your time on the Ship will be more pleasant.

Or, in the words of Hillel, "What is hateful to yourself, do not do to your fellow man." We should all take such sage advice to heart.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy shit; technically, I'm in Zach82's "gang". How devious of you, Zach.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Hostly Notice

Mark Betts has opened another, close related, thread in Hell so to prevent the debate and diatribes getting divided, I have closed that and here is Mark Betts opener from that thread:

Zach82 has kindly opened another thread about me down here, which he didn't even have the courtesy to inform me of in the relevant Purgatory thread. I have quickly abandoned that, as he is incapable of answering even a simple question.

<SNIP>

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

(Snip and Italics by Porridge)

Scroll down the page to see another Hell call of Mark Betts for HIS failure to answer simple questions, and there you have it: Mark Betts, Professional-Asshole-and-Pointer-Outer-of-Other-People's-Eye-Motes.

--Porridge, apparently a member of Zach82's gang

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
"Do you wanna be in my gang"

Song title , source unknown.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A cursory Googling of "Mark Betts" + "Ship of Fools" turns up an awful lot of links to previous Betts-based controversies. Is he perhaps courting this kind of internet immortality? It makes me think of something attributed to Brendan Behan: "There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary."

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
"Do you wanna be in my gang"

Song title , source unknown.

Gary Glitter, well known child molester.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I pointed out in the other Hell Call, Mark keeps making incorrect statements and slurs on the Atheist Church he found.

So the Anglicans he's slurring in the thread that prompted this call aren't alone. No doubt other incorrect believers will be the subject of nasty comments from Mark as time progresses.

I think sympathy should be kept for Orthodox shipmates who have to put up with Mark doing this on behalf of their religion.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Palimpsest:
quote:
I think sympathy should be kept for Orthodox shipmates who have to put up with Mark doing this on behalf of their religion.
The poor Orthodox! They do get some notable nutters here. It drove dear, departed Leetle Masha to distraction, may perpetual light shine upon her. Surely, things are much more tranquil for her now. The rest of the Ship's Orthodox are left to soldier on. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the regular inability to spell Zach correctly I find saddest. He spends all that time highlighting his error in bold. Rather symbolic, that.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been reading up on Perón for a class. He used to pull sophomoric name- mangling crap in midst of debates, too.

Not saying Marco is an Argentinian despot, but still...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Are you suggesting Mark is married to Madonna?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The truth is, he never left us...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zach, my darling, I'm not joining your gang unless we have matching jackets.

Dance numbers are of course, optional.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Mark Betts, did you think that by opening your own thread to have at Zach that you could control the dialog there? In Hell? (Or anywhere on the Ship. No one but hosts and admins may control the contributions to threads on the Ship.)

In all likelihood, what would have happened is that Zach would have shown up to say the same stuff he's been saying on his call to you. And you would say your same stuff back. And then you could either answer him and he could answer you, or you would probably need to flounce from your own thread because of the ensuing, roiling emotions.

It's probably lucky for what's left of your dignity that Sioni Sais closed your thread. Now you may just retreat to your previous flounce with no further sputters about purchasing obscure pamphlets of suspect quality.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God, this means I have to be in Zach's gang, doesn't it? Okay fine. I guess there's some stuff we agree on. Somewhere. Where's my matching jacket?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

What I want to know is, whenever Zack82 gets in a spat with anyone, why does he assume everyone is going to be on his side? So much so, that it always seems to be "we" instead of "I", and "us" instead of "myself". Does he think he has his own gang on here, in which, naturally, he is the leader?

Option 1:

It's a natural rhetorical device designed to exclude and belittle via strength of numbers

One will be on one side of the "us" and "you" and "we" and "I" continuum depending on whether you are espousing the majority or minority view.

Option 2:

The "us" and "we" he is referring to are Anglicans. He is one (as am I and many others aboard).

Option 3:
A bit of Option 1 and 2 with a sprinkling of Option 4 thrown in for good measure.

Option 4:
Any other extraneous factors.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday morning, Mark, the final kontakion at the Liturgy included the words: "Our sins are more than the sands of the sea. Therefore let us arise and keep the fast."

Without posting here or in response to me (to whom you have no duty of justification), but in your own stillness, please consider those words in light of these, then think about how that may apply to your interactions with others. It is an exercise I find helpful so I offer it to you here.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Mark Betts, did you think...

No.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Dance numbers are of course, optional.

The hell they are. If we have to be in a gang with matching jackets, there'd better be a dance fight.
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Option 2:

The "us" and "we" he is referring to are Anglicans. He is one (as am I and many others aboard).

Trying to exclude me, then? I am keeping the jacket!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Oh FFS, there'll be no jackets. Where on earth did anyone get the idea the gangs will be that cool?

I expect one gang to be armed with extremely heavy theological treatises, while their rivals will wield incense burners and wear tinfoil hats.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Also, I finally figured out what's been bugging me so much about this thread.

So, Zach, being called a heretic is a big deal now, is it? Funny, that's not what I was told. By you.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Ain't got no jackets, but we got this.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Ain't got no jackets, but we got this.

Finally! A link I actually wanted to watch!

I wanna be a Shark, now. They got to wear Converse Chuck Taylors.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Based on the course of his posting now, Mark hates not only Anglicans, but everyone that isn't a far-right yobbo.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure he doesn't care much for yobbos either.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I'm sure he doesn't care much for yobbos either.

I had to look at why, since I had defined yobbo as something like "loud, narrow-minded jerk" to this point. Seeing now the other connotations for the word, I suppose he probably doesn't.

Or is it denote? I can never remember which is which. Sigh.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Based on the course of his posting now, Mark hates not only Anglicans, but everyone that isn't a far-right yobbo.

That's a little much hyperbole, even for Hell. Mark obviously holds politically conservative positions, but that doesn't paint him as either a "far-right yobbo" or a supporter of such.

(For reference, the Guardian is a UK daily newspaper which I would place on the soft left of UK politics. It is by no means socialist, but has a reflexive dislike for anything done by either the current Conservative Party or Mrs. Thatcher.

It is the most politically left-wing of the mainstream national newspapers. Most of the national press is either pure naked popularist or right of centre.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

He admitted his puerile comments about "guardianistas" were "unhelpful" and apologized. Which is both an understatement and, considering his style of posting remains unchanged, completely insincere.

I see he's doing it again, by the by. He makes a vicious accusation, without substantiation, and when people call him on it he expects other people to prove him wrong.

What a prick.

[ 01. April 2013, 16:54: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know why anyone bothers to continue to engage with him. He is shallow. We in Zach's gang (having been arbitrarily co-opted into that group I've unilaterally decided to speak plurally) have probably all known or worked with someone like Mark - the neighbourhood or office knob. He gets excited when he sees something with which he can somehow connect (a "shiny thing") and bounces around lauding it until someone points out its flimsy or transient nature, at which point he goes all sulky. With him at the moment it seems to be religion. He reminds me in some ways of the hegemony currently running the DPRK, interested only in getting attention, and on some issues, he doth protest too much. He misses Jimmy Savile, bless him. How's that for a vicious accusation?
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Waterworks] But I don't want to be in Zach's gang and I am not in Mark's gang. Defaulting to Zach's is just not fair. Not fair, I tell you.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am shocked, shocked [Eek!] to see that Mr. Betts does not have his own gang. He has been the subject of almost as many threads as the Pope. He is described, on my screen at least, as the "Ship's Navigation Light." I would think that these impressive honors merit at least a following of adoring disciples, if not an actual "gang."

[ 01. April 2013, 18:15: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by roybart:
He [Mark Betts] is described, on my screen at least, as the "Ship's Navigation Light."

Does that make Zach82 some kind of iceberg?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
We in Zach's gang (having been arbitrarily co-opted into that group I've unilaterally decided to speak plurally)

[Overused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016