homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Holding the paten and chalice at the same time at the Offertory

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Holding the paten and chalice at the same time at the Offertory
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why do some Roman Catholic priests hold both the paten and the chalice at the same time at the offertory? Instead of saying (silently or out loud) "Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, for through your goodness we have received this bread we offer you..." with the paten and then "Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation for through your goodness we have received this wine we offer you..." with the chalice after pouring the wine and water into it, they hold up both at the same time, saying (when I have heard it), "Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, for through your goodness we have received this bread and wine we offer you..."

The only justification I think these priests can be offerring is that it saves time. It is such a small difference in time that I can hardly think that it matters, and it is no reason to not use the (very simple) prescribed liturgical text. Even in the Jewish prayers of blessing that the post-Vatican II offertory prayers are based on, there are separate prayers for the bread and for the wine.

(I know you all know this, but I am talking about the offertory that preceded the Eucharistic Prayer, not the words of consecration.)

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've copied this question to our miscellaneous questions thread and am closing this thread.

seasick, Eccles host

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016