homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Annual Gambit Memorial Shipmeet, London (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Annual Gambit Memorial Shipmeet, London
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has become our custom to meet at the end of January to raise a pint or seven in memory of our dear departed Shipmate and brother in Christ, Gambit who died far too young.

The usual venue is The Jugged Hare near Victoria Station, which was the venue of the last ever shipmeet he organised, but didn't attend because the silly bugger went and died on us two days before the event.

My suggestion would be Saturday 26th January but this can be open to change according to peoples availability.

All are welcome - as I say every year, even if you didn't know Gambit, come along and help keep the spirit alive and if you're new to the Ship and live in or near London, this is a great opportunity to come and meet some Shippies face to face.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That Saturday should be okay – and it has the advantage of being the Saturday after pay day so I should be able to afford to buy you and Tina a beer. [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not new to the Ship but have recently moved to London; I hope to be there.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do come, it'll be great to meet you.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bother, I'm away that weekend. Have I caught this thread early enough to propose either 19th Jan or 2nd Feb instead??

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

2nd Feb works for me. Thinking about it, most people will have been paid by then.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius and I are free all three dates - but Macarius is probably preaching at the 8 o'clock service on 20 Jan, so would not want to be too late home if it was 19th.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

*** Bump ***

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumped and on for 2nd?.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

2nd Feb is good for me

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And me.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be there as usual. I miss him and I like you all also.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very much a lurker here on the ship, with occasional forays into commenting...it would be good to come and meet some people though. Hopefully I'll be there.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First Saturday in February works for me. January doesn't. Already chockers. Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects. Time? Sixish?
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

It'd be great to meet you moonfruit.

Time? From when we get there until we get chucked out. That's the usual sort of thing.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ow. Stop doing that.

26 Jan, after 5 o'clock.
2 Feb - all clear.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Candlemas. Hopefully the deferral into February will mean I'm not having my January ear infection. I was half-deaf for this thing twice!
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius and I have Feb. 2 in our diaries.

M.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Yay.

I have informed Rosamundi (who isn't on board so much these days) and he says she has put it in her diary too.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope to be able to make it. One of my new year's resolutions is to be more sociable.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

We can't have this thread slipping on to page 2, can we?

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be able to make it too.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately PaulW and I will not be able to make this meet. Shame [Frown]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Still planning to make it, but vehicle-related woes may mean I'll have to bail. Really hope not, though.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugal and I may be able to make it.

My office Christmas lunch was at the Jugged Hare - nice place.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Vehicle-related woes solved, tickets and hotel booked, so I'll see you all on Saturday [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So this is Saturday just coming? At the usual place on Vauxhall Road? Just to be sure...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
So this is Saturday just coming?

Yes, Feb 2. At least I bloody hope so now I've bought my tickets!

quote:
At the usual place on Vauxhall Road? Just to be sure...
Yep.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in. What a fitting end to No Drink January ... [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm feeling sad, because a bunch of my family are arriving to stay with me on Saturday and so I can't necessarily come. [Frown] I like meeting you lot and also I always remember him - we had a lot of time together, at home, in church and camping etc etc. When I spoke to him while he was in hospital, it was just a tiny time before he died and chatting with him was fine.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sadly we won't be able to make this either. Will be remembering him from down south. He came to my housewarming shortly before he died and it now seems such a long time ago.
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
He came to my housewarming shortly before he died and it now seems such a long time ago.

That was the last time I saw him as well. We had a good long chat about life, the universe and everything on the balcony while having a smoke or two!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year I am not living 400 miles away in the Frozen North, which is of course a bonus. I do however have an annoying commitment on which I may not be able to bail, but I will do my best to. This thing is important, damnit, and missing last year was *horrible*.
Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently been posting elsewhere about living in an eternal present moment. However, I confess it would be expedient for the purposes of this meeting if we agree to use objective tick-tock time. What will that be?

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What time does it usually start?

How will I recognize you?

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Persephone Hazard:
This year I am not living 400 miles away in the Frozen North, which is of course a bonus. I do however have an annoying commitment on which I may not be able to bail, but I will do my best to. This thing is important, damnit, and missing last year was *horrible*.

It would be great to see you [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
What time does it usually start?

When the first person gets to the pub. Say about 7ish?

quote:
How will I recognize you?
Oh, you'll know [Smile] . If there's one thing I've noticed over the years, it's that people turning up to a Shipmeet are almost always able to recognise each other.

Also, we're usually upstairs. That'll narrow it down. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

Thanks.

I'll drag Mr.C along too.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ElaineC, at my first ever Shipmeet last year I turned up at the venue with the same concern and spotted "them"/was spotted by "them" immediately.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are right but...

There is always the gallery although that is not always reliable and there is also the old Shipmeet photo thread and last year meet thread.

On the other hand a mixed age group of disparate people all chatting and having a good time in a specific pub in London is pretty unusual.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With thanks to Yangtze for letting us know, we'll be there. See you tomorrow.
Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
W hope to be there.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Macarius & I will be there.

M.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raise a glass in memory of to Gambit for me. I never met him but he's had quite an effect. Who knows, I might make it to the Great Wen for this event one year, but not this year, so there's no need to invent previous engagements.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Raise a glass in memory of to Gambit for me. I never met him but he's had quite an effect. Who knows, I might make it to the Great Wen for this event one year, but not this year, so there's no need to invent previous engagements.

To truly honour Gambit's memory, the glass needs to be a milk bottle ... [Biased] See everyone tomorrow.

Tubbs

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Here are some photos from the 2011 meet

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

Thanks for those Spike but it was very odd having labels with people's real names and not ship names.

Is it worth getting the thread title changed to mention the date or not really now?

Hope to see you tomorrow but the state of my throat may mean I am not very talkative [Frown]

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I'm feeling sad, because a bunch of my family are arriving to stay with me on Saturday ....

Bring 'em with you.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016