homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Oxonmeet - 11 April?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Oxonmeet - 11 April?
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q. will be in Oxford (UK) on the evening of Thursday 11 April and would be very pleased to quaff and/or eat with local Shipmates. Venue suggestions welcome. My last sensible return train to not-Westphalia leaves at 22.16, it says 'ere, so an early evening start would be good.

Any takers?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gah! I'm in Leeds for a conference that week. [Frown]
Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How early in the evening is early? I may be able to come, and would be in Oxford about 5-ish, but I'd probably need to leave halfway through the evening.

Venues? Depends what you like. I'm not into beer so can't recommend anything on that score, but you can get a decent and not hugely expensive meal at Cafe Rouge, Al-Andalus (Spanish) or Pierre Victoire, all on Little Clarendon St.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that the Knotweed and I could probably be forced into town, especially if drink was to be taken...

AG
(plus I can freak Ariel out with weird cameras:D )

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's what I call an incentive... I assume you'll just bring a selection, rather than the whole collection on a trolley [Biased]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or hire a Pickfords van!

[must learn to spell four letter words!]

[ 13. March 2013, 14:14: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tis funny you should say that, Wodders - one of the lecturers at the Ruskin would like to photograph my entire collection, and I'm wondering how the bloomin' flip I'm going to get them all there!

Ariel, I think it will be a few - maybe just the half dozen or so likely to have film in and thus be on top of the pile. Note that they just have film in, I don't always take many pictures, I just keep lots of cameras with film in.

Obsessed? Me? Err...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Qoheleth, your PM box is full. [Smile]

Also, the week after would be equally as bad as 11 April for me. I'm at a different conference (Bristol rather than Leeds), but still not in Oxford!

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be around, if I get back from the frozen north in time. Just keep the info coming as to where the meet is taking place. Please.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
Qoheleth, your PM box is full. [Smile]

Also, the week after would be equally as bad as 11 April for me. I'm at a different conference (Bristol rather than Leeds), but still not in Oxford!

Oh dear! PM Box emptied.

Thanks

--------------------

scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can do this...

--------------------
SPK: I also plan to create ... a Calvinist Ordinariate
ken: I thought it was called Taize?

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Just keeping us on the front page...

AG

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could certainly do that evening.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Any thoughts beyond Ariel's on a venue? The last time I suggested one as both nice and quiet we hadn't been there ten minutes when there was a fight!

(can't comment on the other two, but Pierre Victoire is nice)

AG

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

Little Clarendon Street is a good place for food.

I'm so annoyed I'm not going to be around for this. I can pretty much see where the shipmeet will be from my office window!

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Combinations of heavy pregnancy, wedding anniversaries, and school holidays mean that I'm not going to be able to make it but do have a good time.

To be honest, I think PV has gone downhill rather. I've not been to Al Andalus but, and yes! I know it's a bit unsophisticated, I think Cafe Rouge is rather good.

And for those who want beer, of course, pubs are in plentiful supply within easy walking distance.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cafe Rouge isn't bad, haven't eaten there for a while. G&Ds is fun - although possibly better for warmer weather, as their main line is icecream! Pub-wise, there's Jude and the Victoria within easy strolling in one direction, Lamb & Flag and Eagle & Child in the other direction...

Best of all, the 11th is still school holidays, and both Brookes and the University are off as well (OK, so Brookes re-starts on 15th, but it still lowers the student count a bit), which means that getting served/into anywhere is more probable!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My personal preference would be for Al Andalus - authentic and seriously good, genuine tapas (and wine). But as you say there are other places in the vicinity. There's always Browns, as well, or affordable Chinese at Wok and Roll across the way. We're blessed with lots of venues in that small stretch of Oxford.

Qoheleth, what do you think?

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I'm happy with anywhere local Shipmates would choose to go!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Neither the Knotweed nor I have been to Al Andalus, which sounds like a good reason to try it.

AG

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

[Yipee] Al Andalus - have a look and see what you think. We wouldn't be there for the dancing, but the rest should still be good. Food comes as it's cooked, by the way, rather than all at once.

What sort of time would suit people? Qoheleth, you mentioned "early"?

And (if that's where we're going) would that be a table for 6, or 7?

Qoheleth
Sandemaniac
Celtic Knotweed
Trisagion
Scuffleball
Me

possibly jacobsen?

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

My timing depends on a hospital appointment, but I guess I should be able to make 7pm, or 6.30pm if all goes smoothly!

--------------------

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just popped in to say we're moving up in August and it's really exciting to hear about the different places there are to eat! [Smile]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

- Posted      Profile for scuffleball   Email scuffleball   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oop! I have lost track of things going on here...

Just some general hints -

If you would like to go for a meal a good place is Far from the Madding Crowd, tucked away on Friar's Entry behind Debenhams (also real ale).

Turl Street Kitchen on the eponymous street is spot on - and also LOAF, I think - but maybe a bit pricey for some but reasonably sophisticated (and you need to book a table - if you just turn up it will almost always be full)

If you are just looking for a drink the Royal Blenheim is good (tucked away and not fashionable at all and thus quiet, also nice decor and real ale)

Atomic Burger is very... eccentric - burger joint (as the name suggests), full of memorabilia. Always friendly, cheerful, gaudy, worth a look in. In East Oxford - on the Cowley Road - though so might be inconvenient for those coming from out of town.

There are also the usual chains, generally clustered around "George Street" (Pizza Express, Zizzi's, Fire and Stone...) but if you are going to Oxford for the first time I suppose you wouldn't want to go to one of those as you might have one in your home town. In that category, Byron's is nice.

ETA more than you would ever want to know about Oxford pubs http://www.oxfordpubguide.co.uk/pub.html

[ 05. April 2013, 21:20: Message edited by: scuffleball ]

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
7pm at Al Andalus, then? Ariel, are you making the booking?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I can do that. I was just waiting for confirmation on numbers and time. Jacobsen, are you in for this?

I'm going to have a couple of hours to kill in Oxford beforehand as my train gets me there for 5, so if anyone wants to meet up at 6ish or thereabouts, perhaps in the Bird and Baby, let me know. Otherwise I'll probably be in the Bod.

I know what Sandemaniac looks like (this is easy, he'll be the one with a trolleyfull of cameras), but I won't recognize anyone else. How will we know each other? Or shall we swop mobile numbers by PM nearer the time?

[ 06. April 2013, 08:04: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
this is easy, he'll be the one with a trolleyfull of cameras

OI! I resemble that remark!

I can be in town before 6, so can meet at the Bod or the Bird and Baby, the Knotweed will probably be a little bit later than that.

Idle thought - can you get a camera into the Bod legally? I just fancy a photo of the thingy* link to the Radcliffe Camera - where it turns from Victorian ironwork to a tunnel that wouldn't look out of place in Star Wars!

AG

* can't remember the name!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You can take a camera into the Bod but they won't let you photograph the interesting bits, you can really only use it for academic work at certain desks under certain conditions. You can't do Duke Humfrey, with all the old leatherbound books, which I long to do, and they don't like you doing interiors in the other ones. Any shots outside are fine, though.

OK - depending on the weather I may try to get some photos in when I arrive, and meet up at the Bird and Baby at some convenient point.

Qoheleth, would you prefer me to book for 6.30 or 7? Or even 6.45?

I think it's going to be a fun evening [Big Grin]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

PMs now sent.
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Thanks for setting this up, Ariel. My appt is 5.30 in Headington, so a 6.45 table should be ok; I'll PM my number.

I've met the thrice-holy one, the photographic one and the knotty one before, so they may remember me. Else a Ship mug or Lego pirate on the table is a dead giveaway. Looking forward to it. [Yipee]

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Bumping back to page 1 for any late entrants [Eek!]

[ 10. April 2013, 17:50: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Bumping back to page 1 for any late entrants [Eek!]

Oooh err! Looking forward to it.

AG

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yep - table booked and PMs sent & received, all's in hand.
scuffleball
Shipmate
# 16480

Hi! This happened, despite the inclement weather! It was my first ship so I'm not sure what happens but here goes!

I am sure photos will come along soon given the countless number of cameras present - at least I will not have to tag/detag people from pictures! It felt very strange to put names to faces and refer to people I know only by forename or nickname in person, and to get out of the Oxford bubble for an evening.

I also learned how to pronounce Erin, Qoholeth, Galleria, and that a certain other name isn't supposed to be pronounceable, and the origin of the Rusty Farm Implement...

• Cameras. Different types of film. Primitive light meters. Use of Box Brownies as bookends.
• Bellringing. Tuning bells. Expense and legal difficulty with replacing or retuning bells with cast iron (?) cannons.
• Perpetual deacons (?) by diocese (Roman Catholic). Peculiar diocesan boundary following the river Thames reflecting ancient county boundary.
• The new pope. Theology of the liturgy by pope. The new bishop of Winchester. Perhaps, surprisingly, the new archbishop of Canterbury was only briefly touched upon if at all.
• The evolving nature of biochemistry. Difficulty of lab work therein. Difficulty in finding mechanisms for correlations. The Wellcome Trust and the Wellcome Centre for Human Genetics.
• The responsibilities of board admins. Trolls, spammers, crusaders and advertizers.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, that was an entertaining evening and good to put faces to names. Also to see some of Sandemaniac's quite amazing collection of cameras!

There was quite a lot of tapas - including some octopus legs - and a lot of discussion about various church-related activities - bell-ringing and the art of being a deacon - interspersed with some quite interesting old cameras.

I'm still getting over the one with the exceptionally tiny viewfinder. It reminds me of a tiny model Eiffel Tower my grandmother used to have (though obviously this wasn't a camera), which had a minuscule peephole the size of a large pinprick on the side. (If you could manage to look through that, you could see 12 sepia views of Paris as it was in the 1950s.)

It was lovely to meet everybody and I hope at some point in the not too distant future we will have the chance to meet up again, and perhaps include some new people.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

A splendid evening! No photos, as Sandemaniac forgot the magnesium ribbon.

Other conversation topics that I can recall included:

• Jesuits
  • Absent Friends
  • Certain ecclesiastical architecture in Basingstoke
  • Highways planning ditto

Thanks Ariel for organising us all.

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Thank you all for your company. What a pleasant evening and what nice people you all are. Thank you Ariel for the organisation and Sandemaniac for the complete photographic record of the event shot from 71 cameras.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016