homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nurse refuses to perfom CPR (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Nurse refuses to perfom CPR
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
A different story entirely when they are in their 90s - it isn't going to just really hurt. It will cause terrible pain and suffering.

I am very thankful that all the residents at my Mum's home who have died in the past 3 years have died peacefully in their beds, most with family round them. (It is a home for the very elderly) It is policy there not to call the emergency services.

Presumably not w/o a DNR. Even at 90-- or 100, or 110-- it has to be their choice. It has to. And people are ready to make that choice when they're ready to make that choice. My mom lived with a great deal of pain and suffering for 2 years before she was able to decide to go into hospice. It needed to be her choice-- not mine, not the doctor's, not the nursing home's.

Since you say "mum" rather than "mom" I'm assuming you're not in the US. Given my recent first-hand knowledge of the laws/system in the same state this occurred (see above) I'm fairly certain this was not at all about a "merciful death" or concern for the patient's pain, but most likely (see above) a desire to move the death off-site to avoid negatively impacting their mortality stats.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PineMarten - Thank you for your good wishes.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an unhappy coincidence, my deeply demented 82 year old mother in a nursing home for rehab just quit breathing and 911 was called. I am at a loss as to why. Mom has a no code.

She has a no code because she understands that death comes to all, but death with some dignity only comes to the prepared.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may not be a coincidence if the bad publicity around this situation influenced the bad decision.

( [Votive] )

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a nurse. But I was once at the deathbed of a frail old woman who I knew was ready to die. She was in a care-home, a good one. It was shift-change time. Her breathing was laboured. The shift of carers going off all stuck their heads in to say good night, good-bye, whatever. The shift of carers coming on all stuck their heads in to say hello, how is she, etc. I waved them all away. She breathed her last. I opened a window (superstitious, maybe, but it couldn't hurt). I waited, holding her hand, quite a while before calling in anyone to corroborate my feeling that she was gone beyond our sight and hearing, beyond anyone attempting to bring her back. Then I left them to it and went and called her daughter, my friend. Not one person (staff or relative) said I should have called for intervention. I know I did the right thing. This nurse did the right thing. End of.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
I'm not a nurse. But I was once at the deathbed of a frail old woman who I knew was ready to die. She was in a care-home, a good one. It was shift-change time. Her breathing was laboured. The shift of carers going off all stuck their heads in to say good night, good-bye, whatever. The shift of carers coming on all stuck their heads in to say hello, how is she, etc. I waved them all away. She breathed her last. I opened a window (superstitious, maybe, but it couldn't hurt). I waited, holding her hand, quite a while before calling in anyone to corroborate my feeling that she was gone beyond our sight and hearing, beyond anyone attempting to bring her back. Then I left them to it and went and called her daughter, my friend. Not one person (staff or relative) said I should have called for intervention. I know I did the right thing. This nurse did the right thing. End of.

The circumstances are not exactly comparable, if you've been following the thread. But I am grateful you were able to attend for and care for your friend.

[ 17. April 2013, 05:16: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016