homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglicanism and the new Pope (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglicanism and the new Pope
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
I will not respect someone who is preaching against the Gospel and undermining Christianity and the Anglican Communion.

My daddy taught me that if you don't respect someone's views, that is when you treat them with more respect, such as using their proper titles.

It's a similar reason why US Congressional representatives are called "the Honorable Senator So and So" or "The Honorable Representative So and So" even when they are on completely different sides of an issue.

Yeah, but expectation there is, ideally, sincere, constructive dialogue.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Hey Zach, you need to get CSPAN.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:

Hey Zach, you need to get CSPAN.
He didn't say it was a well-founded expectation. [Snigger]
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
[QUOTE]The mechanical issue of interrupted succession may have been remedied by the Dutch Touch, but there is still the problem of intent, which is the primary issue in Leo XIII's bull.

My understanding was that the 1662 prayer book remedied the thing that to RC eyes looks like evidence for a lack of intent in the Edwardine prayer book, so that come the Dutch Touch, the form was remedied, and the intent was at least arguably present too. (Not addressing any of the arguments in Saepius Officio, which maintains that nothing was ever lost.)
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
I will not respect someone who is preaching against the Gospel and undermining Christianity and the Anglican Communion.

My daddy taught me that if you don't respect someone's views, that is when you treat them with more respect, such as using their proper titles.

It's a similar reason why US Congressional representatives are called "the Honorable Senator So and So" or "The Honorable Representative So and So" even when they are on completely different sides of an issue.

Also, the amount of venom one can twist into, say "The Honorable Senator from Kentucky" is epic, if you practice hard enough. Even then, you're calling Rand Paul by his title and not, you know, "The Notorious Jackass and Supreme Ignoramus Rand Paul".

Then again, my daddy also used to say, "Mary, if you aren't going to act like a lady, you will by God act like a gentleman." Which is why I take my hat off when I enter a building and hold doors open for people-- out of basic respect for their dignity as human beings. Even if they are notorious jackasses and supreme ignoramuses.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
[QUOTE]The mechanical issue of interrupted succession may have been remedied by the Dutch Touch, but there is still the problem of intent, which is the primary issue in Leo XIII's bull.

My understanding was that the 1662 prayer book remedied the thing that to RC eyes looks like evidence for a lack of intent in the Edwardine prayer book, so that come the Dutch Touch, the form was remedied, and the intent was at least arguably present too. (Not addressing any of the arguments in Saepius Officio, which maintains that nothing was ever lost.)
Well, AC was promulgated in 1896, by which time the 1662 had been in use for over 200 years. It even takes note of the fact that the 1662 had added to the 1559 "for the office and work of a priest," (thus correcting to some extent the form) but still finds it lacking in intent : specifically, the Anglican ordinal still contains reference to Reformed theological ideas which the RCC rejects as errors.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot imagine why Rome's acceptance of our orders is a matter of such frequent conversation on the ship. It's been a done deal for going on 200 years, and it smacks of insecurity.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I cannot imagine why Rome's acceptance of our orders is a matter of such frequent conversation on the ship. It's been a done deal for going on 200 years, and it smacks of insecurity.

I think that the response is more one of resentment at being wilfully misunderstood and the RC position being more political in motivation than theological. We could call that insecurity, I suppose.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Can Christianity survive the abolition of poverty?

Yeah, I lay awake at night worrying about that.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Can Christianity survive the abolition of poverty?

People will always suffer poverty, even if not in monetary terms.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, it's right there in the Bible. We will always have the poor with us.

And indeed, in some places there are some conscientious Christians working very hard to ensure that Jesus' remark is fulfilled...

[ 16. March 2013, 01:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

I think that the response is more one of resentment at being wilfully misunderstood and the RC position being more political in motivation than theological. We could call that insecurity, I suppose.
Well, resent away. Seeing as I don't think the pope has the ability to read the minds of Reformation era bishops, I don't give Leo's ruling any credence. But after 200 years the Roman Catholic Church hasn't budged an inch, so it might be time to move on.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose intention is the million dollar question.

Among high church clergy, there was a consistent belief in the reality of apostolic succession, even if, as Rome argues, the 1662 Prayerbook comes dangerously close to denying the objective reality of the apostolic succession. But then I wouldn't be surprised if there were Roman Catholics who denied transubstantiation. Surely no one is going to argue that the validity of the Eucharist is not dependent on the individual opinions of catholics in the pews.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, resent away. Seeing as I don't think the pope has the ability to read the minds of Reformation era bishops, I don't give Leo's ruling any credence. But after 200 years the Roman Catholic Church hasn't budged an inch, so it might be time to move on.
117 years since the declaration and the Catholic view of Anglican orders being invalid goes back much further then 200 years

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was just trying to be precise, Zach82, but I suppose that your advice on moving on could be applied to an awful lot of things with which there is disagreement with the RCC. That would be interesting.
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It has been settled for far longer than that. John Clement Gordon, SEC bishop of Galloway had his Anglican orders declared invalid as far back as 1704.
Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:

It has been settled for far longer than that. John Clement Gordon, SEC bishop of Galloway had his Anglican orders declared invalid as far back as 1704.
But something has changed, one doesn't go from being ++Newton in the Church of England to Monsignor and effectively acting as a bishop for the Ordinariate without Rome recognising the value of the prior ministry. Whatever even the most conservative in the Roman Catholic Church believe about the efficacy of Anglican Holy Orders, denying the ministry and prior beliefs of Anglican priests and bishops doesn't appear to be a matter of controversy.
Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
But something has changed, one doesn't go from being ++Newton in the Church of England to Monsignor and effectively acting as a bishop for the Ordinariate without Rome recognising the value of the prior ministry.
Or so the Romans keep saying, like it ought to be terribly gratifying. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:

But something has changed, one doesn't go from being ++Newton in the Church of England to Monsignor and effectively acting as a bishop for the Ordinariate without Rome recognising the value of the prior ministry. Whatever even the most conservative in the Roman Catholic Church believe about the efficacy of Anglican Holy Orders, denying the ministry and prior beliefs of Anglican priests and bishops doesn't appear to be a matter of controversy.
They've never dismissed previous ministry.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite so. Just as the CofE does not dismiss the previous ministry of, say, a URC minister who converts and receives Anglican orders.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

As Augustine said, acting like that should be enough is a willful misunderstanding of what Anglicans claim for themselves.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If one may revert to the OP, IMHO what Cardinal Jorge (AHTW) was implying was that the RCC had quite enough troubles of its own without importing a bunch of disaffected Anglicans.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
If one may revert to the OP, IMHO what Cardinal Jorge (AHTW) was implying was that the RCC had quite enough troubles of its own without importing a bunch of disaffected Anglicans.

Indeed, but in my experience disaffected RCs often make very good Anglicans, and so perhaps dissafected Anglicans might make very good RCs and, dare I say it, perhaps help the RCC with some of its troubles.
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A senior member of the Catholic clergy in the UK (who will remain anonymous) said much the same when discussing the issue at a lecture I was at. His concern: people that are ultra-traditionalist and thus cause trouble in one church are likely to cause trouble in another for similar reasons. Rumour has it that some Ordinariate members have criticised some Catholic masses in the UK already for 'not doing things right'.
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarsmanTJ:
quote:

A senior member of the Catholic clergy in the UK (who will remain anonymous) said much the same when discussing the issue at a lecture I was at. His concern: people that are ultra-traditionalist and thus cause trouble in one church are likely to cause trouble in another for similar reasons. Rumour has it that some Ordinariate members have criticised some Catholic masses in the UK already for 'not doing things right'.
Quelle Surprise!

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Anglican liturgical snobbery ?? Surely not??!!

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well in our re-training at Catholic seminaries we were told quite clearly by our lecturers that many Catholic priests were not doing things right and warned of the abuses we needed to look out for.
Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

quote:
Originally posted by Stranger in a strange land:
quote:
quote:

Well in our re-training at Catholic seminaries we were told quite clearly by our lecturers that many Catholic priests were not doing things right and warned of the abuses we needed to look out for.
Shows you just how much Catholic seminaries have improved in the last 15 years.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeraphimSarov:
Anglican liturgical snobbery ?? Surely not??!!

More likely that the root cause of the upset of some ultra-conservatives is not truly religious. I know a few sedevacantists and, IMO, there exists no status of which they would ever be quo.*
There main issue is dissatisfaction and this will be the case no matter where they are.
Note: I am not stating this applies to all ultra-conservative religious.

*Yes, I know that makes no sense in the Latin, but you do know what I mean.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
gorpo
Shipmate
# 17025

- Posted      Profile for gorpo   Email gorpo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
Indifferently, is there a particular point in history where you consider the Church of England to have been the beacon of orthodoxy you desire? Do you consider it to have been, at that time, totally unified and correct in its doctrines? And, lastly, do you have those doctrines in writing or do you infer them?

Well, there is a huge difference between wanting complete unity in doctrine, and pretending it´s okay to have primates and bishops that don´t even believe in God, Jesus, and all that stuff.
Posts: 247 | From: Brazil | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
Well, there is a huge difference between wanting complete unity in doctrine, and pretending it´s okay to have primates and bishops that don´t even believe in God, Jesus, and all that stuff.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gorpo:
quote:
Indifferently, is there a particular point in history where you consider the Church of England to have been the beacon of orthodoxy you desire? Do you consider it to have been, at that time, totally unified and correct in its doctrines? And, lastly, do you have those doctrines in writing or do you infer them?

That's a relief - it's a good thing none of us do that then.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm sure there's been a point in Church of England history where there were such things as Heresy Trials. Nowadays there seems to be no such thing as "heresy" in the C of E, which means ministers seem to be able to say and publish anything they like with no fear of repercussions.

These same errant ministers are the ones which make the press headlines and give the whole church a bad name IMO. The C of E was never perfect, but it's been better - a lot better.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which ministers do you mean, Mark? I can only think of Don Cupitt, who is pretty tangential nowadays and anyway was never exactly going to get onto the front page of the Sun, and David Jenkins, who was generally misreported, either becauise journos didn't understand him, couldn't be bothered to try to understand him, or didn't care about understanding him but wanted to give him a good kicking for daring to question the Blessed Margaret. And even David Jenkins is going back the better part of 30 years now. Before that what've you got- Bishop Barnes of Birmingham (ob. 1953)? Hewlett Johnson (ob. 1966, though AFAIK it was his politics rather than his theology which was controversial)?

I think that this idea that the CofE is full of unbelieving or at best agnostic clergy is a myth. It's a staple of popular fiction, of course, because you can hang a good story on it, and I suppose that you could argue that they could be there but just be keeping their views to themselves- a belief that is almost by definition not open to proof or even reasonable discussion one way or the other. It's just the kind of stuff that lazy right-wing journos trot out when they don't like some cleric's politics, and certain types of atheists and anti-clericals come up with because it saves them actually thinking.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I can only think of Don Cupitt, who is pretty tangential nowadays and anyway was never exactly going to get onto the front page of the Sun.

Also Don Cupitt was Dean of Emmanuel College Chapel, which, like all Oxbridge chapels, is not (at least AIUI) formally part of the Church of England.

[ 18. March 2013, 10:34: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which ministers do you mean, Mark? I can only think of Don Cupitt, who is pretty tangential nowadays and anyway was never exactly going to get onto the front page of the Sun, and David Jenkins, who was generally misreported, either becauise journos didn't understand him, couldn't be bothered to try to understand him, or didn't care about understanding him but wanted to give him a good kicking for daring to question the Blessed Margaret. And even David Jenkins is going back the better part of 30 years now. Before that what've you got- Bishop Barnes of Birmingham (ob. 1953)? Hewlett Johnson (ob. 1966, though AFAIK it was his politics rather than his theology which was controversial)?

I think that this idea that the CofE is full of unbelieving or at best agnostic clergy is a myth. It's a staple of popular fiction, of course, because you can hang a good story on it, and I suppose that you could argue that they could be there but just be keeping their views to themselves- a belief that is almost by definition not open to proof or even reasonable discussion one way or the other. It's just the kind of stuff that lazy right-wing journos trot out when they don't like some cleric's politics, and certain types of atheists and anti-clericals come up with because it saves them actually thinking.

I am thinking cheifly of the likes of Don Cupitt and Bishop J. A. T. Robinson. However, recently, bishops and clergy are much more guarded about their beliefs.

The following article, from 2002, gives a general idea of how things were back then, but they have doubtless deteriorated since then:

One third of clergy do not believe in the Resurrection (in 2002)

There are also reports every so often of C of E priests who don't believe in God, but it is so commonplace nowadays that such things don't even get much media attention.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Don Cupitt (who has not officiated at public worhsip since the early 1990s) and Bp JAT Robinson (another clever and misunderstood man, who died in, what, 1983?). And then you come up with an 11 year old report on some survey, published in a newspaper part of whose bread and butter is deploring 'decline' in the standards of the CofE, and add that 'doubtless' things have declined further since then, without giving anything to suggest why or how they might have done so?

I repeat: this idea that there is a huge mass of unbelieving clergy out there is a lazy cliche, trotted out by people who find it comforting to think that they are part of the remnant of true believers and that everyone else is going to hell in a handcart.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some odd equivocation going on there. "Doubts over the physical resurrection" =/= "don't believe in the resurrection".

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And before anyone gets onto ++ Katherine, she said that while she did not know how the Resurrection occurred, she believed in it. At no stage did she deny it, but has strongly affirmed it.

[ 18. March 2013, 11:48: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Benedict XVI raised Apostolicae Curae to a level of dogma that all Catholics had to affirmatively assent to (or something like that).

Question: are Catholics required to assert that C of E orders are null and void now, or that C of E orders were null and void in 1896? In other words, can a Catholic licitly believe that the modern C of E has re-acquired valid succession via the Old Catholic union of Utrecht, or not?

My question too. I thought the Assumption and the Immaculate Conception were the only 2 Infallible Papal Pronouncements made since the declaration of papal infallibility

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I repeat: this idea that there is a huge mass of unbelieving clergy out there is a lazy cliche, trotted out by people who find it comforting to think that they are part of the remnant of true believers and that everyone else is going to hell in a handcart.

[Overused]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Also Don Cupitt was Dean of Emmanuel College Chapel, which, like all Oxbridge chapels, is not (at least AIUI) formally part of the Church of England. [/QB]

So when did they stop being part of the Church of England? The 1625 (?) Canons in force until recently [Biased] have a lot to say about them, prescribing eg the minimal requirements for celebrating the HC, eg the dress of the scholars.
Many (?most) college statutes require C of E services, and C of E (or in communion) clergy.

I think you could as well say Westminster Abbey is not formally part of the Church of England.

For what it's worth I rather like these blurred edges.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did hedge it with 'AIUI'. There was a story a while ago about Emmanuel College Chapel, Cambridge, blessing civil partnerships, as the Dean argued he was not subject to the Bishop of Ely and therefore did not need canonical permission. (Source (especially in the third paragraph).

It is possible that the Dean was misrepresenting the canonical position.

(I think this is also different from the situation at Westminster Abbey, which (again AIUI) is explicitly subject to the Archbishop of Canterbury even though it's outside the diocesan structure.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Betts:
quote:

The C of E was never perfect, but it's been better - a lot better.

Even though I'm inclined to think you're not really interested in a response, I thought I might bite anyway.

Now let's see; from it's earliest beginnings it's a confused mess of religion, politics and power. Some people were hanged, some were burnt, others were jailed and left to rot, some poor souls were martyred. In the seventeenth century its 'mission' begins in earnest - particularly in Ireland. It brings persecution, a lack of religious freedom, abuses founded on fear and paranoia. It begins to bring it's cultural baggage and colonialist attitudes that will live on like a cancer in almost every country it touches. This situation continues for a very considerable length of time. In the eighteenth and probably first half of the nineteenth century, there are widespread abuses by priests. Churches are used to stable horses, store grain on the cheap, run markets. Clergy lift wages, but disappear on world tours or butterfly collecting missions (Trollope may be tongue in cheek, but there's a pointed barb to it). In the latter part of the nineteenth century the church maintains a peculiar moral rectitude that pretty much veils a moral rot in Victorian society; worse still, the church often ends up supporting the capitalist 'smash and grab' that goes on in its mission fields. It gets terribly morally self righteous about slavery, while on the other hand ignoring one of the worst famines ever known on their own doorstep.

I know I've focused only on the negatives, and there were those who were faithful Christians - and thank God they were, but even with them the survival of Anglicanism at all is nothing short of a bloody miracle. I am very fond of Anglicanism, but to pretend that there was ever a golden age in the past is to wear glasses so deeply rose tinted that you can't see out of them. If there was ever a 'good period' of Anglicanism, it's today.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
These same errant ministers are the ones which make the press headlines and give the whole church a bad name IMO. The C of E was never perfect, but it's been better - a lot better.

I seriously question this idea of when the Church was a lot 'better' - at least in terms of clergy. There were certainly times when the Church was more powerful, more influential, more politically integrated, more unchallanged - but did that make it 'better'?

Eg, discernment processes to (fairly) objectively test and vet vocations of candidates is a recent thing. Whereas beforehand it was usually if not often a case of whoever had a degree and the personal nod of a Bishop could, with not much effort end up ordained and occupying a living. Just one of the reasons contemporary victorian writers were able to represent the public disdain for the profession, as they sometimes did; viewed as it was as a rather lazy way to acquire an income without doing much to earn it.

Another reason of course was the 'younger and/or poorer son' syndrome; that the Church was the default profession for the sons of gentlemen who had no titles or money, regardless of aptitude or preference. Certainly, there were plenty of talented holy men in orders - thank God!; good pastors, innovative, passionate and strong in a Biblical faith. But the clouds of men regarded as societal rejects, and only fit for the Church, must've been considerable. And absentee rectors and vicars, abuse of the curate system, and the deliberate accumulation of lucrative livings - finally legislated against - were all quite normal in large parts of the Church.

It's easy, too, to imagine that matters of belief were much simpler before our more modern scientific times. But whether that actually made the clergy of previous times 'better' as ministers and pastors, than the current crop of broken reeds and clay jars( [Big Grin] ) is highly doubtful.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took so long to do my post, I've kind of x-posted with Fletcher Christian.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
The following article, from 2002, gives a general idea of how things were back then, but they have doubtless deteriorated since then:

One third of clergy do not believe in the Resurrection (in 2002)

There are also reports every so often of C of E priests who don't believe in God, but it is so commonplace nowadays that such things don't even get much media attention.

As well as being old, the report has a misleading headline. Nothing requires us to believe in a LITERAL, PHYSICAL resurrection.

Nor LITERAL virgin birth.

And neither have any bearing on believing in God.

[ 18. March 2013, 13:37: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

We need to keep the tired "Heresy libel" against Anglicanism, but especially the CoE and TEC, in perspective. Every sect gets its own set of paranoid fanatics trotting out non-stop slander against it on the internet. Some of the stuff that's addressed against the Roman Catholic Church would make one's hair curl.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Posted by Betts:

Mark will do just fine...
quote:
quote:
The C of E was never perfect, but it's been better - a lot better.

Even though I'm inclined to think you're not really interested in a response, I thought I might bite anyway.
Not at all, I am interested in responses, good or bad.
quote:
...I repeat: this idea that there is a huge mass of unbelieving clergy out there is a lazy cliche, trotted out by people who find it comforting to think that they are part of the remnant of true believers and that everyone else is going to hell in a handcart.

I don't find it at all comforting to believe most Anglicans are going to hell in a handcart - in fact I don't even believe that at all, and I don't want to think that the C of E is a huge mass of unbelieving clergy, nor that things are getting worse. So make my day Albertus, and reassure me I have got things wrong.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

We don't have to disprove your ridiculous slander any more than Roman Catholics have to bother taking time to disprove the slander than the RC Church is all one big cult of Isis. Especially when you can't come up with a credible case for the slander.

[ 18. March 2013, 14:00: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016