homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglicanism and the new Pope (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglicanism and the new Pope
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those interested, I would like to recommend David Brown's books 'tradition and imagination' and 'discipleship and imagination'' - these provide an excellent scholarly account of growth, development and change in church traditions.
Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuity is a sign that the Holy Spirit is working in the Church. It is the golden thread which leads to the Apostles so that we may know that what we have is Apostolic and not an innovation. We see this view of tradition in the Fathers and most especially in the holy councils of the Church (the seventh ecumenical council in particular comes to mind).
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cadfael
Shipmate
# 11066

- Posted      Profile for Cadfael   Email Cadfael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As David Brown argues, continuity neither equates to nor requires stasis in tradition. Studies of tradition as phenomenon (e.g. Shils, 1981) also provide robust support for this.

One is reminded of Pelikan's famous quotation - "tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living."

But this is a tangent to the main topic of the thread - and it is quite unlikely that agreement between scholars and traditionalists is going to happen anytime soon - so I will leave it there.

[ 21. March 2013, 07:18: Message edited by: Cadfael ]

Posts: 576 | From: North by North West | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Cadfael. I haven't read that, will see if I can get a copy. I do like Pelikan's quotation. (But then I would).

I think it is a relevant tangent, because I think Anglicanism (I am not an Anglican) does try to engage with this issue. Fresh Expressions is a laudable attempt to do that, as has been (and is) the wrestling with the issues of the roles of women and coming to terms with gay people.

Here is Rowan Williams speaking truth after the vote on women bishops

quote:
In a strongly-worded speech to the General Synod this morning, Dr Williams said the church had ‘a lot of explaining to do’.

‘We have, to put it very bluntly, a lot of explaining to do,’ he said.

‘Whatever the motivation for voting yesterday, whatever the theological principle on which people acted and spoke, the fact remains that a great deal of this discussion is not intelligible to our wider society.

‘Worse than that, it seems as if we are wilfully blind to some of the trends and priorities of that wider society.

‘We have some explaining to do, we have, as a result of yesterday, undoubtedly lost a measure of credibility in our society.’

To be open to that POV may be the most important factor to pray about in future Anglican-Catholic dialogue over any issues of difference.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find all this rather problematic. If the faith changes - and let's be honest, much of the changes "wider society" would like to see from the Church essentially amount to complete u-turns - then it's not the same faith, it's not Apostolic and not from God. After all, God is truth or then he is something altogether rather whimsical in nature.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Tradition, from an Orthodox perspective at least, is not something seperate from the sacred scriptures, rather it is the scriptures properly lived and understood by the Church. It's the Apostolic teaching and practice realised in the Church's worship, canon, creeds and the lives of the saints - it is the life of the Holy Spirit in the Church. The Holy Spirit is God who is truth and therefore does not change. It is the same word that was delivered at the beginning only our understanding grows (not change).
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the Holy Spirit (we were told) 'will lead you into all truth'. It doesn't follow that we've got there yet.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
I find all this rather problematic.

So do I.
quote:

If the faith changes - and let's be honest, much of the changes "wider society" would like to see from the Church essentially amount to complete u-turns - then it's not the same faith, it's not Apostolic and not from God. After all, God is truth or then he is something altogether rather whimsical in nature.

The faith doesn't change. The tradition is capable of movement in accordance with the imperatives of mission. The mission needs to take into account the understandings, hopes, aspirations and fears of the folks with whom we share and live out the gospel. It will both confront the wrong and recognise the right. And hear what the Spirit of God is saying about wrong and right.

In the process, we learn from mission. Think Peter learning from seeing the operation of the Holy Spirit in the family of Cornelius. He learned that, truly. God does not show partiality. Or think about the row over circumcision and Gentiles. The church moved away from a traditional (jewish) understanding. It took a row and a conference to do it. Why should such processes not be ongoing? Mission is both a speaking and a listening. And above all, it is a demonstration of the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Else it is not mission.

Our problem is our fracturedness. We don't have ongoing ecumenical conferences to look at this sort of stuff. And as a result of both schism and reformation, we've gone down different roads. Which means we don't have a united way of coping with the vexed problem of what the Spirit of God is saying to the churches today. And that is a big issue.

But it is no excuse for denying the dynamic of necessary change. The tradition is a valuable source of principle and wisdom. But if we lose the ability to be critical of its relevance to changed circumstances, of determining which principles should apply, then we gradually lose our ability to speak sense to the Babel of our times.

[ 21. March 2013, 10:13: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Holy Spirit is God who is truth and therefore does not change.

Since when does truth not change? It used to be true that humans cannot fly, and then we invented the airplane.

And anyway, even if the spiritual truth of God the Holy Spirit is utterly unchanging, that doesn't mean our understanding of it should be utterly unchanging. To say that it should would be to say that humans are (or once were) capable of a perfect and infallible understanding of God, and I'm pretty damn sure that's never been true.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Relevant to the thread, if not to the actual discussion!

New pope and Anglicanism

"Mine's bigger than yours!"

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Yet again I feel that this boils down to ecclesiology, how we view the Church and it's relationship with tradition and the Holy Spirit. I would argue that the Church is able to be infallible, that the Holy Spirit leads the Church into all truth. I understand that the Church's understanding of the faith once delivered increases, but to suggest the Church's understanding can change to mean something different than before? No. That wouldn't be the work of the Holy Spirit because that's not what Christ promised the Apostles.

[ 21. March 2013, 10:34: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm inclined to agree; yes, the medium (mission) can and should change but not the message (evangelion), and there is always a danger of conflating and confusing the two.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Since when does truth not change? It used to be true that humans cannot fly, and then we invented the airplane.

And it's still true that humans cannot fly. That humans can fly aeroplanes is a different thing altogether. What is true is always true.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62:
quote:
Our problem is our fracturedness. We don't have ongoing ecumenical conferences to look at this sort of stuff. And as a result of both schism and reformation, we've gone down different roads. Which means we don't have a united way of coping with the vexed problem of what the Spirit of God is saying to the churches today. And that is a big issue.

But it is no excuse for denying the dynamic of necessary change. The tradition is a valuable source of principle and wisdom. But if we lose the ability to be critical of its relevance to changed circumstances, of determining which principles should apply, then we gradually lose our ability to speak sense to the Babel of our times.

[Overused]

AdOrientem, if/when it becomes possible to give humans gills to live underwater, will you still hold to the Universal Truth that people can't breathe water?

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would argue that the Church is able to be infallible, that the Holy Spirit leads the Church into all truth.

Isn't that observably and obviously false?

Perhaps you mean that in certain special circumstances in relation to certain limited matters the Church is able to be infallible. But that isn't a useful statement.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And it's still true that humans cannot fly. That humans can fly aeroplanes is a different thing altogether. What is true is always true.
Ah, but then we come to what I'll call secondary truths, such as "every journey between the UK and the USA must be made by boat". This was indeed truth in the past, because humans cannot fly and there's an ocean in the way.

But now that airplanes have been invented, it is no longer the truth that all journeys between the UK and the USA must be made by boat. And that is a fairly fundamental change to the truth as pertains to cross-Atlantic travel. Would a transport traditionalist be justified in saying that the truth cannot ever change, therefore all journeys between the UK and the USA must still be made by boat regardless of any new innovations that may come along? Of course not!

The truth that humans cannot fly hasn't changed, but how we deal with that truth has.

I submit that many of the theological innovations that you disparage as heresy are comparable to that change. The core spiritual truth behind reality may not have changed, but how we deal with it has. And there's nothing wrong with that.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Barnabas62:
quote:

[Overused]

AdOrientem, if/when it becomes possible to give humans gills to live underwater, will you still hold to the Universal Truth that people can't breathe water?

You do realise that here you ate referring to a new and different species.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
quote:
I would argue that the Church is able to be infallible, that the Holy Spirit leads the Church into all truth.

Isn't that observably and obviously false?

Perhaps you mean that in certain special circumstances in relation to certain limited matters the Church is able to be infallible. But that isn't a useful statement.

I would have thought it obvious that when speaking of the Church and infalliblity that it relates to the faith and not, say, tomorrows hockey scores. I believe that this is demonstrable, however, first we must look for the Church.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You do realise that here you ate referring to a new and different species.
[Roll Eyes] I daresay a biologist will be along to dispute this with you in a minute, so I won't bother.

How about astronomy? The ancients (some of them anyway) believed that the stars were fixed on a heavenly sphere and the sun revolved around the earth. Nowadays we know that is wrong. The sun and stars have always been huge balls of flaming gas a very long way away from us; our understanding of them has changed.

Should we have held to the Ptolomaic model of the universe, even though it's wrong?

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Eh? Now we're talking about different things here. What one thinks is true and what actually is true can indeed be two diffetent things, but however erroneous the former is it doesn't change the latter. As far as the Church and the faith are concerned the Holy Spirit guides the Church.
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin -

I'm not sure about this business of secondary truths, whatever that pans out to mean. In fact what is going on is that the whole way the issue is looked at has been re-framed. Its external viewpoints of examination have been changed.

No problems with that in general. In fact I would encourage it. But in practice people doing that seem frequently unable to address the weaknesses or limitations of their own way of framing things. You (generic you) need to be as hard on yourself as you are on others.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Eh? Now we're talking about different things here. What one thinks is true and what actually is true can indeed be two diffetent things, but however erroneous the former is it doesn't change the latter. As far as the Church and the faith are concerned the Holy Spirit guides the Church.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
I'm not sure about this business of secondary truths, whatever that pans out to mean.

I was thinking of things that are true, but only because other things are true first. If the first truths change, then so do the second ones.

quote:
In fact what is going on is that the whole way the issue is looked at has been re-framed. Its external viewpoints of examination have been changed.

No problems with that in general. In fact I would encourage it. But in practice people doing that seem frequently unable to address the weaknesses or limitations of their own way of framing things. You (generic you) need to be as hard on yourself as you are on others.

All I'm asking of others is to be open to the possibility that they are wrong. I ask no less of myself.

Though I do make an exception for those situations where people are only asking me to consider if I'm wrong so that they can say "ha ha - if you might be wrong about things then you might be wrong about me being wrong, which means I'm right!", or in other words when they're just trying to ignore the possibility that they're wrong. What can I say? Obstinate arrogance drives me up the wall.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
What one thinks is true and what actually is true can indeed be two diffetent things

How sure are you that what you think is true is actually true?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

What separated church understanding from Jewish understanding in the early years? When faced with the issue of greater inclusiveness - gentiles coming to the light, aspects of the previous Jewish tradition (e.g. circumcision, various food laws) were seen as no longer appropriate.

There's a principle or two involved there concerning impartiality and inclusiveness. The early Christian church took a more inclusive road. That's in the tradition and I'm very glad it is.

That aspect of the tradition needs to be weighed in the balance with other aspects of the tradition when considering some of the vexed questions of the day, which divide Christians. That's both a critical process and a reverent one.

I mean, if you and Matt and others want to hold that the message is unchanging, that there isn't some dynamic relationship between it and the medium (the mission field) then tradition itself holds a challenge to that proposition. The message changed. You don't need to be circumcised. Except in the heart.

The tradition contains within itself the roots of dynamic change. That might seem a bit of a paradox to you, but that's for sure the way it looks to me.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ad Orientum said
quote:
I would have thought it obvious that when speaking of the Church and infalliblity that it relates to the faith and not, say, tomorrows hockey scores. I believe that this is demonstrable, however, first we must look for the Church.
It's not just hockey scores, it's supporting crusades, it's violence towards doctrinal enemies, it's all sorts of spiritual and moral error that is evident in the history of the churches. Apart from the denomination that came into existence this afternoon, I'm sure no church can claim to be free of this sort of error. It doesn't say much for our knowledge of the truth of the faith when we live it out very badly, but we do. They did in New Testament times, as well.

If you have to identify the right bit of the church to find the infallible bit, then we have the problem, as I said, of a statement that has no use: a bit of the church is infallible, and the bit it is is the infallible bit. Either it's infallible because it's the church, or we're not saying anything, and infallibility is not an obvious characteristic of the church.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
What one thinks is true and what actually is true can indeed be two diffetent things

How sure are you that what you think is true is actually true?
Personally, where there's a dearth of definitive evidence for one view over another, I tend to be very unsure of the sure.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

But there we are talking about two covenants, in essence the difference between two religions - Judaism and Christianity - not two Christian traditions. It's like comparing methods of eating an apple (do you just bite into it or do you slice it up and then eat it?) to eating a banana: what matters is that you eat an apple, not a banana.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

[Missed edit window - reply to Barnabas]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Ad Orientem:
quote:
What one thinks is true and what actually is true can indeed be two diffetent things, but however erroneous the former is it doesn't change the latter.
Well done, that was the point I was trying to make. Now what makes you so sure that what you think is true is more likely to be true than what the rest of us think?

And 'because the Church says so' is not an acceptable answer. The Roman Catholic Church has finally admitted they were wrong about Galileo, so 'The Church' can change its mind. This is not a new idea; as Barnabas62 keeps pointing out, The Church has been changing its mind since the very beginning.

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The Church guided by the Holy Spirit does not err in matters of faith. Galileo is always brought up and it's always worth pointing out that this is a classic example of Rome over-stepping its bounds. As for what I think well, it's not about me, it's about trusting in the promises of Christ. As I said earlier, this is an ecclesiological question. Each person has to work out for themselves who and what the Church is. Only then does the relationship between the Church, the Holy Spirit and Tradition become clear. Then you have to find it and test the fruits.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you have to identify the right bit of the church to find the infallible bit, then we have the problem, as I said, of a statement that has no use: a bit of the church is infallible, and the bit it is is the infallible bit. Either it's infallible because it's the church, or we're not saying anything, and infallibility is not an obvious characteristic of the church.

That's really basic bullshit, and you've been around long enough to know better. The Church herself says which parts of her teachings are infallible, and which parts are not - and hence can be judged objectively according to that. It simply is not, and never has been, a universal claim. It always has been a claim about specific statements under specific circumstances. Indeed, there is not only a binary infallible-fallible distinction, but rather a fairly elaborate hierarchical scheme of more or less certain claims. The Holy Spirit is guaranteed to assist the Church on certain occasions, lending her Divine infallibility on these occasions. Everything else is the usual human mix from near certainty to near arbitrariness. As embarrassing as for example the Galileo affair may be, it does not play at all concerning the Church's infallibility since it never was a matter thereof.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Ad Orientum said
quote:
It's not just hockey scores, it's supporting crusades, it's violence towards doctrinal enemies, it's all sorts of spiritual and moral error that is evident in the history of the churches. Apart from the denomination that came into existence this afternoon, I'm sure no church can claim to be free of this sort of error. It doesn't say much for our knowledge of the truth of the faith when we live it out very badly, but we do. They did in New Testament times, as well.

This is what I mean when I say it boils down to ecclesiology. For instance, when you talk of "bits" of the Church this betrays the reason why you cannot see a Church that is protected by the Holy Spirit from error.

[ 21. March 2013, 13:54: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

IngoB said
quote:
The Holy Spirit is guaranteed to assist the Church on certain occasions
Almost definitely. [Yipee]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
As embarrassing as for example the Galileo affair may be...

Sometime we ought to think about a thread on Galileo and the church. There is much more to the story than meets the eye, certainly much more to it than the glib example of church vs science that it is often used as. Anyone interested?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

Ad Orientum said
quote:
This is what I mean when I say it boils down to ecclesiology. For instance, when you talk of "bits" of the Church this betrays the reason why you cannot see a Church that is protected by the Holy Spirit from error.
No, I'm happy to talk about the church as a whole. I would argue that from the Council of Jerusalem onwards, if not from that day when James and John got a bit ambitious, the church has been characterised by fallibility. Also grace, of course. I thought you were talking about bits when you said first we have to look for the church.

I'm excited that doctrine develops. I'm delighted that the New Testament preserves for us the story of Peter being dragged to a new understanding of God, and therefore gives us a model of the church reaching a new understanding of God.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Ad Orientum said
quote:
No, I'm happy to talk about the church as a whole. I would argue that from the Council of Jerusalem onwards, if not from that day when James and John got a bit ambitious, the church has been characterised by fallibility. Also grace, of course. I thought you were talking about bits when you said first we have to look for the church.

I'm excited that doctrine develops. I'm delighted that the New Testament preserves for us the story of Peter being dragged to a new understanding of God, and therefore gives us a model of the church reaching a new understanding of God.

Again, the way you speak of the Church betrays why you cannot conceive of the Church being guided into truth. The reason you think that is probably because you hold to some form of branch theory. I wouldn't, rather I see the Church as a visible body professing the same faith and sharing the same altar. Those who do not are outside. But, I do not bring this up as an opportunity to be partisan, only to show that we all need to work out how we view the Church first before we can understand its relationship with Tradition.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Ad Orientem:
quote:
Each person has to work out for themselves who and what the Church is. Only then does the relationship between the Church, the Holy Spirit and Tradition become clear. Then you have to find it and test the fruits.
And why is it so difficult for you to accept that other people have done this and reached a different answer to the one you have?

Plus, what hatless said.

[ 21. March 2013, 14:41: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

What do you mean by "difficulty"? I have no trouble understanding that others might think differently but I still think they're wrong, the reason being they're most likely looking in the wrong places.
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Again, the way you speak of the Church betrays why you cannot conceive of the Church being guided into truth. The reason you think that is probably because you hold to some form of branch theory. I wouldn't, rather I see the Church as a visible body professing the same faith and sharing the same altar. Those who do not are outside. But, I do not bring this up as an opportunity to be partisan, only to show that we all need to work out how we view the Church first before we can understand its relationship with Tradition.

I've no idea what branch theory is. I'm sure the church is often guided into truth, for instance when the Dutch Reformed Church repented of Apartheid. I'd even say we are always being guided into truth. What I wouldn't say is that we have the truth as a possession. I believe we sit always under the truth, and that our relationship to God is always one of faith.

--------------------

GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The reason you think that is probably because you hold to some form of branch theory. I wouldn't, rather I see the Church as a visible body professing the same faith and sharing the same altar. Those who do not are outside.

Just for clarification, can you please confirm you're saying that of the approximately two billion Christians currently on the planet, only a maximum of seven percent or so are actually in the Church? That the rest of us haven't been baptised into the Church and have never actually received any sacraments, that our holy communions are at best lacking in the presence of Christ and at worst travesties of the real thing?

If so, well I'm Anglican so I'm used to that but I thought I'd ask for the benefit of the Ship's complement of Catholics.

If on the other hand you're prepared to say that you don't know the status of the non-Orthodox churches, you might want to withdraw that final sentence.

Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
quote:
The reason you think that is probably because you hold to some form of branch theory. I wouldn't, rather I see the Church as a visible body professing the same faith and sharing the same altar. Those who do not are outside.

Just for clarification, can you please confirm you're saying that of the approximately two billion Christians currently on the planet, only a maximum of seven percent or so are actually in the Church? That the rest of us haven't been baptised into the Church and have never actually received any sacraments, that our holy communions are at best lacking in the presence of Christ and at worst travesties of the real thing?

If so, well I'm Anglican so I'm used to that but I thought I'd ask for the benefit of the Ship's complement of Catholics.

If on the other hand you're prepared to say that you don't know the status of the non-Orthodox churches, you might want to withdraw that final sentence.

I thought this might start getting all partisan. That was not my intention however. If anyone knows what Orthodoxy believes concerning this then they will already have the answer.
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought this might start getting all partisan. That was not my intention however. If anyone knows what Orthodoxy believes concerning this then they will already have the answer.

As far as I can tell, Orthodoxy believes a range of things regarding the status of non-Orthodox churches, and the members thereof. I just wanted to confirm which particular interpretation of St Cyril's teaching you believed, and point out the consequences if I was guessing correctly.
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If anyone knows what Orthodoxy believes concerning this then they will already have the answer.

As one who believes in the 'church invisible' concept rather than what you seem to be getting at, I'd be interested in your answer to GreyFace's question. I certainly don't know what the Orthodox Church believes concerning this and would rather like to find out!

Viewing other churches as having less of the truth than one's own does is one thing (I guess most church members think this to some extent, else we'd change church) but equating your church with the one true church is something I find very alarming. You aren't secretly a Jehovah's Witness, are you Ad Orientem?!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's what the Catholic, Orthodox, Copts, Oriental Orthodox, and lots of other claims for themselves, SCK.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
The Holy Spirit is guaranteed to assist the Church on certain occasions, lending her Divine infallibility on these occasions. Everything else is the usual human mix from near certainty to near arbitrariness.

This is the part I don't get. How is this guarantee made? And how are the infallible occasions distinguished from the human ones? I don't see how such a claim can be made without a large dose of circular reasoning--it needs something other than "because the Church says so."

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

To be fair to the Catholics, they acknowledge the validity of the sacraments of some of the other churches, and official teaching is that all baptised Christians are in an imperfect communion with the Catholic Church.

To be fair to the Orthodox, the belief that the visible Orthodox Church is made up of the local churches about which they are sure enough to be in communion and that they're not actually declaring the rest to be necessarily Right Out, doesn't appear to be uncommon.

To be fair to anybody that does go the whole hog on the One True Church line, it's worth pointing that out that they're not pretending to believe that in order to poke the rest of us in the eye with a stick - it's sincerely held to be the truth.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tradition, from an Orthodox perspective at least, is not something seperate from the sacred scriptures, rather it is the scriptures properly lived and understood by the Church. It's the Apostolic teaching and practice realised in the Church's worship, canon, creeds and the lives of the saints - it is the life of the Holy Spirit in the Church. The Holy Spirit is God who is truth and therefore does not change. It is the same word that was delivered at the beginning only our understanding grows (not change).

quote:
that the Holy Spirit is seeking to guide the Church into the fullness of truth, it draws upon everything in human experience and thought which will give to the content of revelation its fullest expression and widest application. It is primarily concerned with the growth of the seed of God's word from age to age
(ARCIC Final Report)

quote:
But tradition is a dynamic process with inevitable admixture of truth and error; and formulations of faith change through the ages, not least because of changing contexts and situations
(Baptist response to Lima text)

quote:
We are agreed that the development of doctrine and the production of confessions of faith is a dynamic process.
(WCC)

quote:
An engagement and struggle with what is given. Orthodoxy makes us critical, it provokes questions. It is 'what keeps the Church free to question its traditions'
(Lossky)

quote:
The tradition..and in particular the doctrinal tradition, is truly itself only when it throws itself away. That is, it is not the last word, just as it is not the first word. It is only within the dynamism of history as the place and the time of irreversible personal decisions that the Word is truly heard, and faith truly active
(R. Gregor Smith)

Keeping tradition and betraying it, the difference is a knife edge because:

'prodidomi' - to betray; paradidomi - to hand over
'traditor' - traitor; 'traditio' - to hand on.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say it is far too common a belief for us to get alarmed about every time we hear it.

And actually many evangelicals and protestant groups believe something similar.

Of course the actual belief is always a bit more nuanced than that. People will often soften their sentiments a bit by talking about not being able to be definite regarding salvation outside the church (or in the case of some evangelicals, not being able to exclude the possibility that there are some real christians in the RCC).

Also I think the Orthodox and RCC would have one attitude towards another Orthodox church with which they have impaired communion, and a weird protestant thing which isn't really the Church at all.

So in practice it usually isn't about "one true church" except in caricature. And we ought not to be alarmed or shocked anyway.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
It's what the Catholic, Orthodox, Copts, Oriental Orthodox, and lots of other claims for themselves, SCK.

I thought the Catholic Church softened its stance on this a few hundred years ago, or am I thinking of something else?

In any case, I'm interested to find out what it implies regarding my status before God; what do the above churches consider to be the status of those not within their institutions? If the answer is as strong as 'not made right with God' then doesn't that fit the typical definition of what a cult is?

The whole idea also seems like a remaking of the Temple curtain; restricting access to God when Jesus seemed to do the exact opposite of this in his ministry, death and resurrection.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016