homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "Requirements" for Communion talks (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "Requirements" for Communion talks
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read this on the Telegraph blogsite .

Communion only possible if the Anglicans don't ordain women bishops? Why didn't they stop talking when the Anglicans started ordaining women priests ?

I do not mean to awaken Dead Horses here, the women priest/bishop issue is something that each Christian denomination needs to decide for themselves (and I won't give my opinion here because it is not the place), but making communion contingent on this one issue is a bit strong.

Of course I do not know God's will, but I think I know God "wills" Christian unity. Now how far this unity is "willed" to go, and, taking into account human nature [Roll Eyes] , it realistically can go still remains open. But it is also IMHO fairly clear that this "will" does not condone petty squabbling over issues that are more or less peripheral.

Can't we all be a bit more respectful of each other and the respective traditions? What do shipmates see as "requirements" for starting to approach other denominations? And where is the Holy Spirit when one needs Him???

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah! Now I know what 'branch theory' is.

From his article:

... that the Church of England is a protestant denomination with High liturgical trappings.

Yes, well, that is precisely how I, a charismatic Anglican, regard my 'denomination'. Via Media and all that, but when all is said and done ...

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I'm concerned, all Christians are in communion with each other as we share in the love of Christ. We are collectively the body of Christ, whether some who lead particular denominations accept it or not.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's be honest, it was never really on the cards, was it? This is only one of many issues, nevertheless the issue is a grave one. How does one reverse lost Apostolic succession (assuming, of course, that it's there in the first place)?
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
As far as I'm concerned, all Christians are in communion with each other as we share in the love of Christ. We are collectively the body of Christ, whether some who lead particular denominations accept it or not.

Yes. This. Amen.

[Smile]

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, quite naturally, I would argue that it's right to insist that one must confess the Orthodox faith and have been received into the Orthodox Church to receive holy communion in the Orthodox Church.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
And, quite naturally, I would argue that it's right to insist that one must confess the Orthodox faith and have been received into the Orthodox Church to receive holy communion in the Orthodox Church.

Ikea meatballs tonight.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Eh?
FCB

Hillbilly Thomist
# 1495

- Posted      Profile for FCB   Author's homepage   Email FCB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What else can you make out of a dead horse? Certainly not a productive argument.

--------------------
Agent of the Inquisition since 1982.

Posts: 2928 | From: that city in "The Wire" | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
Of course I do not know God's will, but I think I know God "wills" Christian unity.

I'm nowhere near as sure of that as I used to be. A united Church would have colossal potential for hubris and arrogance - just look at those Churches that think they're the One True Church now. I've a hunch we're meant to be divided. I've a hunch the Tower of Babel wasn't a one-off.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's called a fait accompli irl.

Ah well, let's embrace justice but forget about unity until Carol Vorderman becomes Pope and Lady Gaga Haed of the Orthodox church.

Plough our furrow - provided we're convinced before God that it is right to do so.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this mean we can keep the filioque clause? Like really, come on. Anglicans have already been described many times as 'an anathema'. It's all just a bit of bluster.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Communion only possible if the Anglicans don't ordain women bishops? Why didn't they stop talking when the Anglicans started ordaining women priests ?

That's news to me. I didn't know the Anglicans had started ordaining women priests. I assumed they had merely created a female sub-class to perform priestly functions. After all, one of the historical, defining characteristics of Anglican priesthood is that it includes the inherent possibility of progression to bishop....and curiously, that doesn't seem to apply, in this case. Still, DH territory, as you suggest - and not really any of my business. I just hope that this matter can be resolved without further damage to that church, which is the spiritual home of many fine Christians.

quote:
Can't we all be a bit more respectful of each other and the respective traditions?

No....not really. As a species, Christians seem to delight in identifying each other's baggage (AKA traditions) and, casting aside such trivial considerations as love and unity, blindly grope at the speck they perceive in their brother's eye. In many respects, it is the scandalous triumph of religion over relationship.

quote:
What do shipmates see as "requirements" for starting to approach other denominations?

I guess I'd say love, humility, tolerance and a determination to emulate Christ. What more could we need?

quote:
And where is the Holy Spirit when one needs Him???

Oh, I expect he's where he always is. Trying to break into the lives of individuals and churches, while being steadfastly and furiously resisted.

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Well, it's called a fait accompli irl.

Absolutely. What Damian the Ferret doesn't seem to realise is that the Anglican Communion (and not just the TEC) already has women bishops.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I'm nowhere near as sure of that as I used to be. A united Church would have colossal potential for hubris and arrogance - just look at those Churches that think they're the One True Church now. I've a hunch we're meant to be divided. I've a hunch the Tower of Babel wasn't a one-off.

This thought has never occurred to me before. [Cool] I like!

Even in the highly unlikely event that the RCC, Orthodox and Anglicans all united, weirdos like me (Anglican, evangelical, charismatic, non-sacramental although far from hostile to sacramentals, preferring believers' baptism to infant baptism, etc.) would always be 'outside' and viewed with suspicion ... [Biased]

The Church will endure. Until Christ returns.

I am pretty positive that all who have professed themselves Christians will have things to confess/repent of, on that Day.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I quite like Adeodatus' thought too... Maybe the 'Church Invisible' concept that Raptor Eye noted above is really how God intends things to be, given our propensity for institutional 'One True Church' arrogance.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Of course I do not know God's will, but I think I know God "wills" Christian unity.

You mean, God knew what he was doing when he allowed diversity to flourish? [Big Grin]

Of course, Anglicans have been consecrating women bishops for many years now. Not in every part of the Communion. But female Anglican bishops exist. I've even seen photographs and youtube videos of them and everything.

Or are we back to that old pain-in-the-arse notion that the only Anglicans that count are a) CofE and b) the kind who really want to be governed by the Pope and his Curia?

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Are we back to that old pain-in-the-arse notion that the only Anglicans that count are a) CofE and b) the kind who really want to be governed by the Pope and his Curia?

Maybe the CofE isn't the only part that counts, but as a non-Anglican I've noticed that the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is the 'the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion', according to Wiki, is always a British person. Noone non-British is ever seriously in line for the job, even though it's a worldwide denomination. John Sentamu's name comes up, but he's has been in the UK since 1974, which suggests that it's desirable to be settled in the UK and 'acculturated', at the very least.

This state of affairs could well lead the Orthodox Church to jump to conclusions!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
How does one reverse lost Apostolic succession (assuming, of course, that it's there in the first place)?

Of course, Nonconformists would say that the Succession takes the form of teaching that has been handed down, not any chain of laying-on of hands.

So this particular issue of "authentic" Communion does not arise.

Some of us might question what "proper" Ordination is, or whether it is even necessary ... but that's a different question!

[ 27. March 2013, 16:31: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is news? The Russian church and Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) of Volokolamsk has said similar things many times, but he is always ignored by the Anglicans who think they know better. Why do they (Anglicans) claim to be the voice of the Church who can unilaterally make such decisions?

Of course, unification (which we should all desire, although sometimes I wonder) depends on far more than just the matter of female ordination and consecration.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Why do they (Anglicans) claim to be the voice of the Church who can unilaterally make such decisions?

I don't recall any Anglican claiming to speak for the entire church, only for the portion of it that is Anglican, at most (and really very rarely that, given the disagreements within Anglicanism). As to why Anglicans went ahead without the Roman Catholics or the Orthodox, was there any prospect of either even discussing the matter or considering ordaining women? No. So it was either do it alone or don't do it all. The priestly ministry exercised by women has been a massive boon to the CofE, and I think the CofE and other Anglican churches were entirely right to recognise the call God made to those women who are now ordained.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Are we back to that old pain-in-the-arse notion that the only Anglicans that count are a) CofE and b) the kind who really want to be governed by the Pope and his Curia?

Maybe the CofE isn't the only part that counts, but as a non-Anglican I've noticed that the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is the 'the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion', according to Wiki, is always a British person. Noone non-British is ever seriously in line for the job, even though it's a worldwide denomination. John Sentamu's name comes up, but he's has been in the UK since 1974, which suggests that it's desirable to be settled in the UK and 'acculturated', at the very least.

Wiki hasn't got it quite right. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the head of the C of E, and is considered "first among equals" among the other Anglican primates. Maybe that's what they mean by "symbolic" --- the ABC has no real jurisdiction outside of the UK.

Each province of the Anglican communion--C of E, Anglican Church of Canada, the Episcopalian Church in the United States, etc--is self-governing. A member of the Anglican Church of Canada, for example, would no more be made Archbishop of Canterbury than a Canadian would be made prime minister of the UK (leaving aside any complicating matters such as dual citizenship).

[ 27. March 2013, 19:08: Message edited by: Lothiriel ]

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've a hunch the Tower of Babel wasn't a one-off.

FWIW, the Orthodox Church believes that the Tower of Babel was reversed at Pentecost, just as the expulsion from Eden was reversed at the Resurrection.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Of course, unification (which we should all desire, although sometimes I wonder)...

I desire unity among Christians but not, I think, unification. As per Adeodatus' comment a few posts ago, maybe the unification of having one worldwide organisation is not God's intention or plan for his followers.

I think there's a danger (in all things, not just this point) of doing things on the world's terms, and not seriously questioning whether there's another way.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

FWIW, the Orthodox Church believes that the Tower of Babel was reversed at Pentecost, just as the expulsion from Eden was reversed at the Resurrection.
Not just the Orthodox, mousethief. That's pretty orthodox understanding, isn't it? At least, I've heard some good nonc sermons on reversals and reconciliations.

(Mind you, I've heard some bad ones as well.)

Sticks Host Hat On

I think this is probably a Dead Horse thread already, but I did enjoy the Ikea meatballs joke! Nice one KLB.

Anyway, checking it out with TonyK and Louise first of all. You may be on the move.

B62, Purg Host.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep clear of the dead horses board so can I ask while we are still here what is meant by the Tower of Babel being reversed ? Do you mean permanently or just on the day of Pentecost when they all understood miraculously what was being said ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Wiki hasn't got it quite right. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the head of the C of E, and is considered "first among equals" among the other Anglican primates. Maybe that's what they mean by "symbolic" --- the ABC has no real jurisdiction outside of the UK.

Each province of the Anglican communion--C of E, Anglican Church of Canada, the Episcopalian Church in the United States, etc--is self-governing. A member of the Anglican Church of Canada, for example, would no more be made Archbishop of Canterbury than a Canadian would be made prime minister of the UK (leaving aside any complicating matters such as dual citizenship).

The ABC has no real jurisdiction outside of England and certain anomalous areas such as the Isle of Man and the Diocese in Europe. He certainly has no jurisdiction over the Scottish Episcopal Church (as has been the case since pre-reformation times), nor does he have authority over the Church in Wales. That didn't prevent the Archbishop of Wales being appointed Archbishop of Canterbury a few years ago. It's perfectly possible for clergy to move between provinces, and indeed plenty of past Primuses (Primi?) of the SEC have been English or indeed Welsh.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
That's news to me. I didn't know the Anglicans had started ordaining women priests. I assumed they had merely created a female sub-class to perform priestly functions.

A perfect complement for the male sub-class that was already performing priestly functions.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

The ABC has no real jurisdiction outside of England and certain anomalous areas such as the Isle of Man and the Diocese in Europe. He certainly has no jurisdiction over the Scottish Episcopal Church (as has been the case since pre-reformation times), nor does he have authority over the Church in Wales. That didn't prevent the Archbishop of Wales being appointed Archbishop of Canterbury a few years ago. It's perfectly possible for clergy to move between provinces, and indeed plenty of past Primuses (Primi?) of the SEC have been English or indeed Welsh.
Thanks for the further clarification -- I was fuzzy on the various Anglican provinces within the UK.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I keep clear of the dead horses board so can I ask while we are still here what is meant by the Tower of Babel being reversed ? Do you mean permanently or just on the day of Pentecost when they all understood miraculously what was being said ?

Quite interesting to compare the Genesis 11 Babel account with the Acts 2 Pentecost account. A miraculous confusion on the one hand; a miraculous clarity on the other. That's the reversal.

Not sure how the Orthodox see the significance; personally I've heard nonco preachers describe it as a sign of God's grace and a sign of the coming kingdom.

Doesn't mean that language confusion was reversed permanently for all people. Rather it was a sign that in the new Christian community, people "from every tribe and tongue" would be drawn in. The gospel message was intended to transcend borders and boundaries.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

If he reversed it once, he can reverse it again. After all, it's his show. Imagine what a bloodbath world history might have been (what more of a bloodbath) with an undivided Church.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Michael Ramsey's retirement, one of the names on the medium-list for a replacement was the late Ted Scott, then Canadian Primate. For reasons not related to his likely lack of suitability for the job, he was ruled out. As with the job of PM of the UK, there is no citizenship or ethnic requirement for appointment to Canterbury. With the current consultation model, it is less likely to happen than in more unenlightened days. Lanfranc was, I think, the last one born outside England or Wales, but I am open to correction.

As far as Anglican-Orthodox dialogue goes, my brilliant and curiously unpublished MA thesis on Scripture and Tradition in Anglican-Orthodox dialogue suggests that, outside a small theologically learned group, the real impetus was British policy in the Balkans in the 1920s and 1930s. This no longer being operational, neither is the dialogue.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
At Michael Ramsey's retirement, one of the names on the medium-list for a replacement was the late Ted Scott, then Canadian Primate. For reasons not related to his likely lack of suitability for the job, he was ruled out. As with the job of PM of the UK, there is no citizenship or ethnic requirement for appointment to Canterbury. With the current consultation model, it is less likely to happen than in more unenlightened days. Lanfranc was, I think, the last one born outside England or Wales, but I am open to correction.

Okay -- and it's not unknown, certainly, for bishops and priests to move to other provinces of the Anglican Communion.

But am I correct in thinking that to become ABC, Scott would have had to become a member of the Church of England, rather than remain in the Anglican Church of Canada?

And, in more direct reference to the OP, surely it would be odd if, hypothetically, the C of E were to enter into communion with the Orthodox church while other Anglican churches that already do consecrate (not "ordain", as the linked article has it) women bishops would presumably be excluded from that arrangement. Such a move would only deepen the rifts already threatening the Anglican Communion.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But am I correct in thinking that to become ABC, Scott would have had to become a member of the Church of England, rather than remain in the Anglican Church of Canada?

I don't think there is any qualification for 'membership' in the C of E other than baptism. There is or was the 'colonial clergy act' (or something like that) but it doesn't debar priests from outside the UK from holding office so I don't see why it should do so to bishops.

Re ABCs from outside England, wasn't Cosmo Lang Scottish? Though he might have been born in England I suppose.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just baptism - an Anglican-recognised confirmation is required as well surely?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lutheran World Federation goes by the principles if the Gospel is preached and the Sacraments are properly administered, there can be fellowship. We don't expect to dictate the internal affairs of another denomination. There are differences that will be there. We are no trying to agree on every i dotted and t crossed.

The ELCA Means of Grace Statement welcomes all Christians to the table, after all it is Christ's table, not our exclusive corner. Come one, come all.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Seasick: not for 'membership' (if that concept means anything in Anglicanism). Obviously confirmation is required before someone is ordained, but in the case of a bishop you'd take that for granted.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe the CofE isn't the only part that counts, but as a non-Anglican I've noticed that the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is the 'the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion', according to Wiki, is always a British person. No one non-British is ever seriously in line for the job, even though it's a worldwide denomination. John Sentamu's name comes up, but he's has been in the UK since 1974, which suggests that it's desirable to be settled in the UK and 'acculturated', at the very least.

This state of affairs could well lead the Orthodox Church to jump to conclusions!

I don't think there's much prospect of anyone becoming Patriarch of Moscow who is not a Russian.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pentecost is hardly a reversal of Babel, because people hear many languages, not one. It is about diversity. Communication in diversity rather than confusion in diversity, but diversity nonetheless.

I think Pentecost is a bit of a half-way house in any case. Go to the end of Revelation and the heavenly city has no temple. No unified church all singing from the same song sheet, no unanimous doctrine, no universal liturgy. It's not the triumph of the church or any version of it, it's the triumph of the lamb, and it's God and a healed humanity.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

Re ABCs from outside England, wasn't Cosmo Lang Scottish? Though he might have been born in England I suppose.

He was indeed Scottish (according to Wikipedia): son of the manse in fact. He didn't visit England until he was 17.

(apologies for quoting myself but I thought I'd answer my own question)

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
Pentecost is hardly a reversal of Babel, because people hear many languages, not one. It is about diversity. Communication in diversity rather than confusion in diversity, but diversity nonetheless.

I think Pentecost is a bit of a half-way house in any case. Go to the end of Revelation and the heavenly city has no temple. No unified church all singing from the same song sheet, no unanimous doctrine, no universal liturgy. It's not the triumph of the church or any version of it, it's the triumph of the lamb, and it's God and a healed humanity.

[Overused]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

God's creativity in action, hatless. Once there was a common tongue, then there was language diversity and it caused confusipon between peoples. And God said, actually I like the diversity but in the kingdom there's no need for that sort of confusion.

Hasn't worked completely yet. Just a sign that it will. The culmination is something like this

quote:
Rev 7: 9 After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”

Looks like a cry in unison, I think. United from every tribe and tongue, diverse in their origins, brought together in God.

That's the promise, hatless. It's actually more than a reversal of babel.

There's a great truth there in the pictures and the promises. Confusion is temporary, unity in diversity is eternal. Strikes me as very good! Opinions may vary re literal truth and truth in story. Which doesn't really matter. The present confusion and disunity, and all the pain they cause, need to pass away as "former things".

But I agree that the diversity will stay!

Actually, Mark Knofler said it pretty well too.

We have just one world
But we live in different ones

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

[ 27. March 2013, 23:36: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

I don't think there is any qualification for 'membership' in the C of E other than baptism. There is or was the 'colonial clergy act' (or something like that) but it doesn't debar priests from outside the UK from holding office so I don't see why it should do so to bishops.

No, I'm not suggesting the switch would be difficult -- but surely there's an administrative matter of putting a name on the one list and taking it off the other? Like when a lay person moves from one parish to another?

--------------------

my blog

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

DH Hosts are willing for the thread to go to its probable eventual home. But you're a very creative bunch of Shipmates.

Seems best to leave it here while some of the non-DH discussion pans out. We'll see what the next few hours bring, I think

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the odds of reunion before Doomsday are about zero now, how much lower are they supposed to get?

It's rather aggravating that there is a small group of Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and Anglican leaders that continue to act like it was ever a possibility, and especially aggravating when they try to use it as leverage in Anglican debates.

[ 27. March 2013, 23:44: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

It's a prayer of Jesus, Zach, and a promise of the coming kingdom, too. Of course we should work for it, however naive and over-optimistic that might seem. Disunity in the church is not a good thing. Less enmity, more friendships while living with disagreements; these would be good things, don't you think?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If he reversed it once, he can reverse it again.

Then God is a weathervane and of questionable trustworthiness.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a prayer of Jesus, Zach, and a promise of the coming kingdom, too. Of course we should work for it, however naive and over-optimistic that might seem. Disunity in the church is not a good thing. Less enmity, more friendships while living with disagreements; these would be good things, don't you think?
I pray for the unity of God's Church as fervently as anyone, but the talk of recognition in that statement is completely disingenuous. If the Orthodox want unity with us, they will have to assent to unity with Anglicans who believe in their own validity. Presently, the Roman Catholics can't, the Orthodox can't, but we have Jesus to stand up for us all the same.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mostly right but...any subject of the Queen can be (s)elected ABC, subject to the legal requirements of the CofE. Citizens of Canada, Australia etc. etc. are as eligible as citizens of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (which in this case are as non-CofE as the ACC or the Anglican CHurch of Australia)...or, of course, England.

I remember when Michael Ramsey retired...there was some interest in British newsmedia about the possible appointment of Ted SCott, then Primate in Canada. That was never going to happen for any number of reasons, but he could have been appointed had anyone in the process wanted him, and if he had wanted it. The legal position has not changed since that time.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
I desire unity among Christians but not, I think, unification. As per Adeodatus' comment a few posts ago, maybe the unification of having one worldwide organisation is not God's intention or plan for his followers.

I think there's a danger (in all things, not just this point) of doing things on the world's terms, and not seriously questioning whether there's another way.

quote:
John 17:20-23
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Are you seriously saying these words of Christ are not about unification, nor that this is Christ's desire?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016