homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Meet the next POTUS (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Meet the next POTUS
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be. [Smile]

quote:
Carson, the famous Johns Hopkins pediatric neurosurgeon, made a large splash last month with a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in which he criticized progressive taxation and President Obama's health care overhaul as the president sat just feet away.

Michel asked the physician what he thought of the reaction of conservative columnist Cal Thomas, a longtime prayer breakfast attendee, who called the speech's political nature inappropriate for an event with a 61-year tradition of non-partisanship. Thomas recommended that Carson apologize to Obama. When Michel asked Carson if he agreed, he said:

"I don't think so at all. In fact, I don't believe that expressing your opinion, regardless of who's there, is being rude. And it's a shame that we've reached a level in our country where we think that you don't have the right to put your opinion out there."

It will continue to be interesting to see how he handles the onslaught as black 'conservatives' remain fair game.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is boorishness a requirement for political office?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not gonna happen. We all love to hate politicians, but let's face it -- no one but a politician is going to weather the rigors of a presidential campaign.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If she runs, the next POTUS will be Hillary Clinton.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:

from your lips to God's ears!
Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
It could be. [Smile]

[Killing me]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It will continue to be interesting to see how he handles the onslaught as black 'conservatives' remain fair game.

So far, not so well.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Warren! Warren!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Not gonna happen. We all love to hate politicians, but let's face it -- no one but a politician is going to weather the rigors of a presidential campaign.

Yeah but early on he appears to have some political blood coursing through his veins... and his life story leads you to believe he's not the type to be pushed around if he sets his mind against it.

I'd vote for him - we could do worse.

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Yeah but early on he appears to have some political blood coursing through his veins... and his life story leads you to believe he's not the type to be pushed around if he sets his mind against it.

I'd vote for him - we could do worse.

You could do worse than a man who quite literally does not understand the meaning of the word consent? (Because, veering into Dead Horse territory that is where you need to be to equate homosexuality with paedophilia or bestiality.) How? Voting for Hannibal Lector?

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
(Because, veering into Dead Horse territory that is where you need to be to equate homosexuality with paedophilia or bestiality.)

You're so cute when you're all worked up. [Yipee] And maybe it's just where you think you need to be?

And not everybody has to go there?

He learned early on certain types don't allow you to use the words gay and bestiality in the same sentence and to my way of thinking handled the event with as much class it it warranted.

Feel free to rave on though. [Biased]

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, the next POTUS will be Elizabeth Warren. She knows how to speak truth to power

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/elizabeth-warren-banking-committee

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He learned early on certain types don't allow you to use the words gay and bestiality in the same sentence

He's 61 years old, and he's just now learning that large numbers of people can be offended by likening homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality?

What other fascinating revelations do you suppose we'll see Ben Carlson experience in his journey into the late 20th century?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do we have his birth certificate yet?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
moron:
quote:
He learned early on certain types don't allow you to use the words gay and bestiality in the same sentence and to my way of thinking handled the event with as much class it it warranted.

He had learned this "early on", therefore he deliberately used the comparison to insult gay people? So he's a public speaking troll, then?

Wotta guy. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and since he is African American, let's see if he will be a shoo-in for POTUS. After all, according to some conservatives, Obama was only elected because he was African American.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Warren! Warren!
Clinton/Warren or Warren/Clinton-- either way, I'm a happy camper.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]

Call me crazy, but I would like to see someone who doesn't just "learn the rules to effective PR" but actually learns and understands why it is so wrong to use the two in the same sentence.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
I agree, the next POTUS will be Elizabeth Warren. She knows how to speak truth to power

That is precisely why she would have my vote. But also, perhaps, why I'll never get the chance to exercise that option.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Call me crazy, but I would like to see someone who doesn't just "learn the rules to effective PR" but actually learns and understands why it is so wrong to use the two in the same sentence.

I'd hazard a guess he's been too busy saving innumerable people's lives to worry all that much about how not to offend those who spend so much time looking to be offended (when they aren't working to redefine a word like 'marriage' for their own ends) but my hunch is he'll be a quick study.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

Hear hear Gramps49! The more I hear about her, the more I like her. I don't know if she actually can actually get it -- the power to whom she speaks truth to knows how to work lying to their advantage. But (keeping in mind that 2016 is a long way off) i can see myself doing my bit to get her elected.

Thank you Moron for starting this thread. Despite the utterly ridiculous (dare i say moronic in Purgatory?) premise of the OP, this thread may actually generate some interesting and intelligent speculation by shipmates.

[ 14. April 2013, 17:48: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

I'd hazard a guess he's been too busy saving innumerable people's lives to worry all that much about how not to offend those who spend so much time looking to be offended (when they aren't working to redefine a word like 'marriage' for their own ends) but my hunch is he'll be a quick study.
*snif* is that sulfur I smell?

I fear there is just no way to respond to this in purgatory.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Warren! Warren!
Clinton/Warren or Warren/Clinton-- either way, I'm a happy camper.
That would be a politically intelligent ticket. A Dream Team to end all Dream Teams.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I doubt Warren/Clinton or vice versa is in the future. Can't see a two female ticket making it. One or the other of them though.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, what a pity. You seem to have forgotten that there will also be Republican candidates in the way of the "Dream Team".

How surprising for these parts.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there's the slightest chance Ben Carson will even seriously run for the nomination, but if he does, it will be interesting from my perspective to see what happens when his religion is put in the harsh glare of the public view, as Mitt Romney's Mormonism was (to some extent). We've never seen a Seventh-day Adventist run for such high office in the US before and every word Ben Carson speaks is HUGE news in the Adventist blog-world and Facebook-world. Most of the SDAs I know are divided between those who share most of Carson's views and would be thrilled to see him run for office, and those who, like myself, are considerably to his left politically and are a little embarrassed by his sudden notoriety. I thought he was a good representative of our faith back when he was specializing in being an excellent surgeon who had overcome significant personal obstacles to achieve what he had in life. Since he's waded into the political mire ... not so much.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Oh, what a pity. You seem to have forgotten that there will also be Republican candidates in the way of the "Dream Team".

Which Republican would you like to see in the White House? They all seem either utterly uninspiring or totally off their trolley to me.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Which Republican would you like to see in the White House? They all seem either utterly uninspiring or totally off their trolley to me.
I think being completely off their trolley is a requirement.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think being completely off their trolley is a requirement.

Let's see; last set of Republican POTUS candidates included . . .

Michelle (Vaccination-for-Human Papiloma-Virus-Causes-Mental-Retardation) Bachmann;

Rick (Let's-Use-The-Bible-for-Our-Constitution) Santorum;

Herman (9-9-9-Can-a-Self-Promotional-Book-Tour-be-Written-Off-My-Taxes-If-I-Pretend-It's-Really-a-Run-for-Office?) Cain;

Mitt (Look-We-All-Know-That-47%-of-Americans-Are-Worthless-Lazy-Slobs-So-Just-Ignore-Them) Romney;

and more.

Yep; Welease Woderwick is right again.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jon Huntsman seemed the most reasonable of the last bunch of Republican presidential candidates. He didn't get far.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Oh, and since he is African American, let's see if he will be a shoo-in for POTUS. After all, according to some conservatives, Obama was only elected because he was African American.

Speaking as a resident of the deepest parts of the Deep South, as well as one who works in a nearly 100% African American environment, I can share that President Obama's race was THE primary reason most in the black community here voted for him. Discussions about it never got to the policy level. Ever. So while he may not have been elected because of his race, the President was decidedly voted for because of his race. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying it is/was. I'm confident there were Caucasian and other Americans who voted for Pres. Obama because of his race, too, aren't you?

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Jon Huntsman seemed the most reasonable of the last bunch of Republican presidential candidates. He didn't get far.

I suspect he had the wisdom not to run against a cast of clowns. Why beggar himself (to say nothing of expending vast stores of energy) and risk destroying his own dignity and credibility competing against a set of fools like the above?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And surely some people voted against him because of his race too. The question is surely whether there is evidence that other bias was actually relevant to whether he won the election. I, for one, cannot answer that.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
quote:

Speaking as a resident of the deepest parts of the Deep South, as well as one who works in a nearly 100% African American environment, I can share that President Obama's race was THE primary reason most in the black community here voted for him. Discussions about it never got to the policy level. Ever. So while he may not have been elected because of his race, the President was decidedly voted for because of his race. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying it is/was. I'm confident there were Caucasian and other Americans who voted for Pres. Obama because of his race, too, aren't you?
Yes, most Black people in the U.S. supported Obama because he is Black -- but that in no way means that most U.S. Black people will support someone JUST because he or she is Black. Droves of Black voters didn't swarm over to the Republican party to support Herman Cain, and in my experience Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is held in low esteem among many or most news-aware Black folks (quite rightly and logical IMHO)

Black folks are not stupid. They are not going to support someone who is clearly against their interests just because he is Black.

[ 15. April 2013, 15:58: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

Speaking as a resident of the deepest parts of the Deep South, as well as one who works in a nearly 100% African American environment, I can share that President Obama's race was THE primary reason most in the black community here voted for him. Discussions about it never got to the policy level. Ever. So while he may not have been elected because of his race, the President was decidedly voted for because of his race. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying it is/was.
Did those same African Americans support Herman Cain's bid? If not (and I'm guessing not) that suggests there is more than complexion at play in their voting decisions.

Many of the discussions re: Obama's first term run centered on his race precisely because it was ground-breaking. For African-Americans in particular, it was a powerful moment. There was a lot of both hope and fear involved. That would naturally lead to a lot of race-based discussions. That does not mean that other factors, policy factors, didn't play a role in their decision, simply that the historicity of the moment was significant enough to dominate discussions.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've nailed it, malik3000.

ETA: And you, cliffdweller.

[ 15. April 2013, 16:48: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ben Carson is the Republican party's latest black friend, following in the tradition of Alan Keyes and Herman Cain. It's a good gig while it lasts, but Republicans seem very unwilling to actually vote for these candidates.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
And surely some people voted against him because of his race too. The question is surely whether there is evidence that other bias was actually relevant to whether he won the election.

The basic premise of the Southern Strategy is that the votes picked up from white racists will outnumber the votes lost among racial minorities. The U.S. may have reached the point where this is no longer true.

quote:
For African-Americans in particular, it was a powerful moment. There was a lot of both hope and fear involved. That would naturally lead to a lot of race-based discussions. That does not mean that other factors, policy factors, didn't play a role in their decision, simply that the historicity of the moment was significant enough to dominate discussions.

Someone once made the observation that you can find two pictures in every Irish-American home: 1) the pope and 2) John F. Kennedy. I suspect a similar dynamic at work with Obama among the African-American community.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Croesus:
quote:
Someone once made the observation that you can find two pictures in every Irish-American home: 1) the pope and 2) John F. Kennedy. I suspect a similar dynamic at work with Obama among the African-American community.
Maybe now it's Martin Luther King, Jr and Barack Obama for African Americans. [Cool]

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did those same African Americans support Herman Cain's bid? If not (and I'm guessing not) that suggests there is more than complexion at play in their voting decisions.

Many of the discussions re: Obama's first term run centered on his race precisely because it was ground-breaking. For African-Americans in particular, it was a powerful moment. There was a lot of both hope and fear involved. That would naturally lead to a lot of race-based discussions. That does not mean that other factors, policy factors, didn't play a role in their decision, simply that the historicity of the moment was significant enough to dominate discussions.

At one point they may have, because apparently Cain led Obama in at least one 2011 Rasmussen poll. I've already said Obama wasn't elected on race alone. I've also said that conversations I enjoyed with my A-A colleagues never really reached the policy level. In general, there was usually too much elation re: his ethnicity to go much further. Just sharing my experience from the heart of MS.

--------------------

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Riv: Cain led Obama in at least one 2011 Rasmussen poll.
Isn't shat the same firm that predicted a resounding victory for Romney in november?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... apparently Cain led Obama in at least one 2011 Rasmussen poll.

The Rasmussen poll tends to be strongly biased in favor of Republicans.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
The Riv: Cain led Obama in at least one 2011 Rasmussen poll.
Isn't shat the same firm that predicted a resounding victory for Romney in november?
And, it's relevant to note, the more we found out about Cain's policies (or rather, lack thereof), the lower his poll #s dropped--rapidly so. So, while race may spur an initial bit of attn, it seems policy does matter after all.

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

I wouldn't know how Rasmussen leans, RuthW -- perhaps you're right.

@ clifdweller: I think Cain's sex scandal allegations may have hurt his candidacy more than anything. I didn't pay that much attention to the Republican primaries, though, believeing a second term for Pres. Obama a foregone conclusion (as I would for former Sec. of State Clinton, should she run and get elected).

Even so, I cast no aspersions toward those who voted for Obama simply because of his race. It's as valid a reason for people nowadays as any other.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

... what a strange statement, since we were obviously talking about a "Dream Team" for the Democratic ticket. Why the hell would there be a Republican on a Democratic ticket?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
quote:

... what a strange statement, since we were obviously talking about a "Dream Team" for the Democratic ticket. Why the hell would there be a Republican on a Democratic ticket?
[Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

@ clifdweller: I think Cain's sex scandal allegations may have hurt his candidacy more than anything.

Could be, but it seemed to me that even before that all came out, the more he talked, the more it became evident his entire economic/ domestic/ foreign affairs policy amounted to a single catchy slogan ("9-9-9!") the more his poll #s plummeted.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
quote:

[Overused] [Killing me]
Unless you went for a government of national unity - but this seems unlikely ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Unless you went for a government of national unity - but this seems unlikely ...

There's a reason the Twelfth Amendment was adopted.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

We would need a Green Party adjunct just to serve as a tie-breaker.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who will be the next President will have something to do with what condition the U.S. economy is in three years from now. The reassurances of Paul Krugman etc. (as much as I respect him) depend on the dollar's continuing to be the world's reserve currency. Various developments have been chipping away at this status. Many things are so weird that I suspect we are being officially lied to in a number of ways. Nothing makes the U.S. inherently immune to the kind of vicissitudes faced by Britain in the 1970s soon after sterling had been similarly deserted. If the dollar were to go south suddenly because we and our governments are not living within our means, the Tea Party would get a boost in credibility.

Planning to retire in a month and a half, I must very soon make a decision about the pension. Should I take a smaller monthly payment in return for a declining but guaranteed remainder payable to a beneficiary should I die within the next 14 years? Or should I opt for a significantly larger payout each month with no death benefit even if I keel over immediately?
One consideration, of course, is life expectancy. But another is the probable declining value of the dollar sometime within the next decade. In view of this threat, I have just about decided on the latter course, and investing the surplus in something with a better chance of retaining its value.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Chris Christie tainted too much with bi-partisanship to make him unelectable? The man seems to have a brain and the ability to get things done and some financial common sense. You'd think the Republican power brokers would be interested in at least exploring such an option.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016