homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » For the Americans out there

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: For the Americans out there
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you like to have an itemized Federal Tax Receipt for the taxes you paid last year? You can use this calculator to see how they were dispersed last year.

http://nationalpriorities.org/en/interactive-data/taxday/receipt/2012/taxespaid/0/

Personally, it bothers me that 1/3 of my taxes went to the military. Would that it could be half of that, or less.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you more or less troubled by how much went to pay the interest on the national debt?

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Are you more or less troubled by how much went to pay the interest on the national debt?

The question wasn't directed at me, but much more. At least the debt is helping lift millions of Chinese citizens out of poverty.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
The question wasn't directed at me, but much more. At least the debt is helping lift millions of Chinese citizens out of poverty.

I'd say they're more helped by the U.S. trade deficit, rather than any direct expenditures by the U.S. government (e.g. the federal budget deficit or federal debt). On a more realistic level, it could be argued that the ability to "dump" a portion of its GDP into U.S. government bonds (as opposed to internal re-investment) is a critical component of Chinese currency manipulation, significantly lowering the effective wages (as measured against international competitors) of Chinese workers.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reduce the spending on the military and eventually the payouts to the national debt will be reduced.

Then too, raise the taxes on the upper 5% and the payouts can be reduced faster.

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or do both, and make some real progress. [Smile]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
US debt payments are entirely reasonable at the moment. If you think the US government should strive to never have debt, then learn how economics work. The United States is not a household, and your folksy financial understandings don't apply.

For pete's sake, interest rates are lower than inflation right now. Investors are literally paying the Fed to hold their money.

[ 16. April 2013, 19:13: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Good point, Zach. Not saying we should be out of debt. Fact is our debt servicing is fairly reasonable as you point out.

But what does this say about our priorities when one third of our taxes are spent on the military and very little, relatively speaking, is spent on economic development programs or taking care of the poor or education.

As I look at how my federal tax dollars are spent it seems we are robbing from the poor in order to defend the rich

We have to remember, our national expenditures is a reflection of our national morality.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when in the UK I received my poll tax/council tax bill, it was accompanied by government-mandated information on local council finances, activities and expenditure. I don't pay the rates directly here so I don't see the bill, but I imagine that the NSW government requires something similar of its local councils.

In the UK the introduction was a bit politically motivated, a bit, "Hey people, see how those lefty councils are spending your money on lesbians," but it makes sense that we receive standardised information.

It also follows on that we should be able to receive the same sort of information in relation to national government spending. It's a bit difficult when particular types or rates of taxes are hypothecated; ie they are notionally or actually assigned for a particular purpose, like National Insurance contributions in the UK, or the distribution of GST to the Australian states, but surely something could be done?

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
We have to remember, our national expenditures is a reflection of our national morality.

Specifically, what are the top three changes you would make to make the US more moral?

It's OK if you limit it to the # 1 priority if you can't be arsed for all three - TIA.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Then too, raise the taxes on the upper 5% and the payouts can be reduced faster.

Ooh, you can't do that or they'll move all their income to a tax haven.

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:

Specifically, what are the top three changes you would make to make the US more moral?

It's OK if you limit it to the # 1 priority if you can't be arsed for all three - TIA.

Off the top of my head, I'd go for actually following the way Jesus says nations shall be judged.

quote:
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

1: Fixing your social safety net - although it's better than anything around in Jesus' day.

quote:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in:
From what I can tell for the stranger as opposed to the homeless America normally does pretty well.

quote:
naked, and ye clothed me not:
See social safety net.

quote:
sick,
Single payer healthcare rather than having the most effective and inefficient healthcare system in the world that lets many, many people fall between the cracks.

quote:
and in prison, and ye visited me not.
Where to start on the American prison-industrial complex?

For Britain, it's much more prosaic. The first thing I'd do is throw the Tories out, protect the NHS and undo as many as possible of the Tory austerity measures targetted at the lowest (and their tax cuts for the rich). I'd jack up inheritance taxes and build more council houses. And I'd get rid of the detention centres for asylum seekers (and cut back the prison system as much as possible beyond that).

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Moron

I think I already answered your challenge, but if you insist:

1. Guarantee every family a minimum income (actually proposed by Richard Nixon almost thirty years ago.)

2. Establish single payer health insurance for all residents of the United States.

3. Forgive all student loan payments and establish a system where people seeking higher education will be able to get one based on ability to pay.

4. Biggen to rebuild our aging infrastucture

the last thing on my list would be the military

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016