homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What are we driving? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What are we driving?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium (LHD) with turbo, leather and sunroof. It really is my dream car: it is metallic black. Our other car is a rebodied LHD Vectra Estate, sold in the US as a Saturn LW 200. Both cars have a 5-speed manual gearbox.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now I've got a Hyundai I30, but this week I'll be ordering my new car - a Toyota Yaris Hybrid. It's more expensive than I'd normally go for a car of that size, but the saving in fuel will more than make up for it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A '96 Dodge Caravan.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1999 Dodge Neon. May it never break down. I would hate to have to learn anything new.

My husband has a new car that says, "OK, your door is open," and "OK, your seat belt is not fastened." The "OK," cracks me up, it reminds me of the boss in "Office Space." "OK, I'm going to need you to shut your door. Greeaat."

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'05 Neon here! (highfives Twilight)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1991 red Honda Civic hatchback, like this one. The paint actually looks that good, since I crashed it a couple of years ago, and I figured since I was shelling out for the front-end body work, I might as well get it all painted while I was at it. Still under 150,000 miles on it, and it gets 30 mph on surface streets and 36 on the freeway.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drive a 2008 Toyota Corolla LE with sunroof and an automatic transmission. The maintenance is up to date, the paint looks great and it has no problems. I have a trailer hitch and the wiring installed if I need to tow (I'm a bachelor who might have to move for a job).

It is blue and looks great.

I use Rain-X on the windows which works nicely to keep the dirt off the windshield, I also have the Rain-X wipers and windshield washer fluid, which is great because it's all-season.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White 2010 Hyundai Elantra, because in January 2011 our old car died; the dealers were all getting rid of their unsold 2010 models and Hyundai seemed to offer a good deal. It's probably bigger than we need: for the longest time we drove Nissan Micras, and the Elantra seems huge by comparison.

Sir K., is your Focus one of those rather classy-looking ones with a radiator grille that looks like an Aston Martin?

[Cool]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1993 Daihatsu Feroza. About 250,000 km.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1996 Mitsubishi Mirage POS sedan. a billion miles on it, got it for damn near nothing. hot little red number that gets stuck on the third snowflake but is a gas miser's DREAM CAR. half the electrical doesn't work and I'm holding the trunk closed with a bungee. my "books not bombs" bumper sticker gets me flipped off in Wasilla. which says so much about Wasilla. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Sir K., is your Focus one of those rather classy-looking ones with a radiator grille that looks like an Aston Martin?

[Cool]

No, that would be the Fusion, an intermediate. This is the sporty compact, a step up from the Fiesta. It has a slim chrome grille with Ford in Ford script in the middle and jet black below. The black is not standard, but what could be best called "metalflake".

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2008 Ford KA and I love it, especially the heated front screen - no scraping frost! It's nippy, neat and will park on a penny.

Now that we are both semi retired we are thinking of going down to one car, then I will have to drive a new VW Passat - not a happy bunny [Frown] I hate driving the VW,but the economics are obvious.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't drive, I spent a good chunk of my adulthood in central London where there was no need to drive. Dh has recently bought a 2008 Audi A3 Sportback which he's very pleased with as it replaced a rather rusty and and ailing 2000 Suzuki Wagon R.

[ 04. March 2013, 07:53: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a late (UK) '56-plate Kia Magentis 2.7 V6 LS (auto / manual). Silver paintwork; black leather interior. VERY low mileage (22,000). Best car I have owned in 37 years of driving.

Mrs Kat has a '11-plate Kia Picanto 1.25 auto (Sensing a theme here? We have had 5 Kias in a row!). Very nice car and for a small body, it has PLENTY of room inside.

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A 1997 Ford Fiesta called Fifi. She's maroon, with a flower sticker on her boot. She's the only car I've owned, still running well, lovely to drive, and in the kind of condition where I don't mind muddy feet or messy children hopping in. She is small, but can carry loads of stuff.

I hoped to have her as my wedding car later this year, but the rest of the family didn't like that idea!

Still, I hope to hold onto her as long as possible; I'll be devastated when they tell me she can no longer be patched up.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a '98 Saturn wagon with 118,000 miles on it. I ordered it new and specified what I wanted--standard shift, cruise control, etc.

I've had some major repairs, and it's still going strong. What I like best is that the body is not metal and will not dent. When I sideswiped another car years ago, the body shop removed all the marks with a cloth dipped in some fluid.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhyNotSmile:
A 1997 Ford Fiesta called Fifi.

forgot - mine is named Elmo - because it's the little red monster.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a bright yellow 2004 Toyota Matrix with almost 107,000 miles on it. It has a standard transmission, and gets good gas mileage. May this car last the rest of my life. The seat is high enough that I have no problem getting in and out of it.

The outside is small (it's called a compact utility vehicle), but the seats all fold down, and I can haul Christmas trees, grills or other large things!

And bright yellow means I can find my car easily when it's parked somewhere! [Big Grin] I remember a male friend asking if that was the only color available, and I told him that I ordered it that way. He was shocked!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're on or 8th car in our nearly 38 year marriage. I drive a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix that just ticked over 129,000 mi. Last year, we replaced our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a very nice 2012 model. I felt a bit sheepish about getting the 5.7L Hemi, but I needed that configuration for a number of reasons - the Jeep isn't our big mileage car anyway - and am surprised to find that its fuel efficiency matches or betters our old Grand Cherokee that had the legendary 4.0L straight 6.

I like the named cars. We affectionately call our Jeep "Jeepie", and my older daughter is afflicted with auto-anthropomorphism syndrome. When she was about to trade in one of her cars, I snuck out into the driveway and poured some water under it's headlights, as though it were "crying" at being traded in. I did that because I know it "works". My mother inflicted the syndrome on me, now I'm happy to pass it along. [Two face]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2008 Skoda Octavia Estate TDi (the 2.0 litre engine) in black. One of those happy accidents - we were looking for a replacement Octavia (the previous car was a 1.9 Octavia Diesel, but with manual geabox) - but knew perfectly well that what we wanted was as common as hen's teeth: diesel estate with automatic transmission. Once upon a time, these were common as muck as they were Reps. cars; fine if you didn't mind high mileage. These days, not so easy.

Two became available in the same week. The one we bought had just 14000 miles on the clock (at 18 months old). It was mere happy accident that it was also the top of the range model with the leather interior, cruise control, heated seats, climate control ... [Big Grin]

And, just in case you should wonder, yes, I had heard just about all the Skoda jokes. But, after the first one, we didn't bother to look for anything else. The only reason for the change was that St Gwladys' MS meant that she was finding it difficult to handle the clutch. It was a good thing we changed when we did - within 6 months she could no longer have operated the clutch at all. [Frown]

I think it is excellent. I'm not sure that St G is always entirely convinced - she finds it too powerful. It is certainly the most powerful car we have ever owned (which was true of its predecessor as well) at 140 bhp. Coupled with the 6-speed semi-automatic sequential gearbox, this can make for an interesting performance. It can also better 50 mpg under the right conditions. I like that! [Smile]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EM - a 1995 Vauxhall Nova with about 120000 on the clock (Diesel)

Mrs E M - a 1997 Ford Mondeo with 150000 on the clock (Petrol)

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
EM - a 1995 Vauxhall Nova ...

Ah well, I thought I had cornered the market in ancient Vauxhalls, but I never quite reached 18 years - it fell victim to the scrappage scheme at just short of 16. I had been warned that there was a shortage of sound metal to weld new bits on to.
Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2009 VW GTI.

Named "Sarah Jane IV" (a/k/a "Baby Sarah"). She is my first "fancy" car and I am glad I bought when I did because they redesigned the grillwork for the 2010 model year and I hate the re-design. I like to think I got a GTI Classic.

And yes, TomOfTarsus, it is tough to trade in the named cars. I get very mopey, but my prior Sarahs have all been very good about developing problems just prior to trade-in to make me feel like I made The Right Decision.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Chevrolet Tracker 4x4.

I guess I'm one of the few people who have such a car and who really need to drive off-road [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Sandy" the Citroen Berlingo, so named due to its colour being listed as 'sable'. Bought in France and driven here to Tunisia from England via Dover, Calais, a lot of French motorway and a ferry from Marseille. Now 8 years old and still going strong. A great family car as you can get such a lot in its cavernous boot and it has sliding doors at the back so the kids can't whack them against the next car when opening them. All in all a good car.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh la la! Another Berlingo driver signing in - mine is called the Dreadnought as it is large, grey, rolls like a ship at sea, and doesn't so much accelerate as gather speed.

Bought mostly for lugging bicycles on holiday (you don't even need to take the front wheel off!), it has turned out to be the ultimate crap hauler - current record five cricketers, plus their kitbags, though I did wonder if we were going to have to take up a floorboard and pedal when it ran up against a Devonian hill. Luckily this year we tour to Amsterdam, which is a lot flatter.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet wrote
quote:
White 2010 Hyundai Elantra, because in January 2011 our old car died; the dealers were all getting rid of their unsold 2010 models and Hyundai seemed to offer a good deal.
My wife is on her second Elantra a 2008 model. Got the first on a similar runout deal, and despite newer i30 and Micra models, she went with another for drivability, comfort and ride characteristics.

I have a 2008 model Nissan X-Trail SUV in which I've averaged about 37000km a year much of it over below-average quality roads, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that if we could have got Micras over here we would have done, but we've never seen one in Newfoundland. When we were first looking for a car here (9 years ago) there were very few small cars available, although there are a few small Toyotas, Suzukis, Smart cars and Fiat 500s around the place now.

When we came here first we got a Kia Rio saloon, which really wasn't the nicest car in the world; it was all right, but not exactly inspiring (and had the worst rear leg-room I've ever seen). When it died, a friend passed on a spare, 12-year-old Saturn estate, which lasted about another six months and then died rather spectacularly and was replaced by the Elantra.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My oldest car is a 43-year-old full-size Plymouth 7-passenger convertible: it has been called The Behemouth because of its size and has been known to carry a small motorcycle or a convertible sofa behind the front seat with rear cushion removed. It is currently a non-runner and is being marketed as such....

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2010 Mazda 3, gun-metal blue. It's the first car I ever bought because it was fun to drive (though I let my wife talk me into getting the automatic, which I regret slightly). It's a great car.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago, I bought my first diesel a Benz, sold here as the E350CDI. It's the family sized one with the six cylinder diesel. I've been very pleased with it. It is not as smooth or quiet as the previous petrol ones when you're idling, but once you start moving, all becomes well. I bought it as a 10 year prospect, and so far there has been no problem with it.

In fact, it's so good that Madame bought herself the small C class coupe with the 4 cylinder diesel motor - you can't get the 6 in the coupe here, only in the sedan. In turn, she gave her 10 year old Volvo V40 to Dlet, as she got a better deal on the new car without a trade-in.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My primary wheels hang onto a Toyota iQ - it's plenty big enough for my needs (me plus up to 2 passengers, or 1 if I want luggage space), and is soooo economical to run. It's even road-tax free. Despite its small engine it manages my motorway commute splendidly, although it gets challenged in hillier places with 2 extra people.

My fun wheels are on a red 1976 MG Midget - my "excuse" is that I'm helping preserve part of our heritage. Whenever it's sunny I crave driving it, and it gets people talking (or giggling) most times that I take it out. As well has being fun to drive it's quite handy for transporting long/tall things like trees.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2012 VW Scirocco R, iridium grey. I wanted the blue, but the salesman talked me out of it and I'm glad he did. Very good fun to drive, if a bit on the firm side on NSW's less-than-well maintained roads.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Decided to trade the '00 Mazda MPV when the gas tank fell off, and moved up (literally) into a GMC Sierra half-ton. I'm driving a lot less now, so the low gas mileage is less significant, and the ability to move stuff without having to hook up trailers is great.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nearly 15 year old Mahindra Commander Hardtop - it is basically a jeep but made over here and has taken us all over India - it is an amazingly tough vehicle and rejoices in the name "Doris".

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...it is an amazingly tough vehicle and rejoices in the name "Doris".

How do you know it rejoices? [Biased]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Very good fun to drive, if a bit on the firm side on NSW's less-than-well maintained roads.

Oy, can I relate. Daily driver is a 2004 Mini Cooper S lowered 4cm. Anything but a completely smooth road rattles the ivory. But very fun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MG6 Magnette. It seemed to be the only thing thing remotely comparable to the Rover 75 after mine cunningly hit a bush near the M40 and died.

I'm still waiting to see another one!

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have an N reg (1995/96) Peugeot 306. Diesel. Bought for £750 about five years ago. Still going happily although we fear it might not get through the MOT this year without a lot of work.

I've never learnt to drive but Mrs T says it's lovely to drive - well, other than the fact that it leaks so that the footwell gets an inch or two of water.

Increasing family size means we're looking for a second hand people carrier to replace it.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four months ago, I finally sold my beat up, battered, dented, but very loved white 1994 Honda Accord (my first car ever, since I didn't learn to drive til I moved to the States in 2003). It got replaced with an incredibly swish black 2011 Accord, with the heated leather seats, satelite radio, and all the whistles and bells. It feels like I grew up overnight, and I still can't quite believe it's mine...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Plain Jane
Shipmate
# 3988

- Posted      Profile for Plain Jane   Email Plain Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We have a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium (LHD) with turbo, leather and sunroof. It really is my dream car: it is metallic black.

I have the 2012 hatchback Focus, tomato red, 5 speed manual transmission. Maybe I should feel a little guilty because I love this little car so much. But I don't.

--------------------
You're only innocent when you dream. Tom Waits

Posts: 64 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Now that we are both semi retired we are thinking of going down to one car, then I will have to drive a new VW Passat - not a happy bunny [Frown] I hate driving the VW,but the economics are obvious.

VWs evil: Ford's archrivals. NB: I own shares in Ford and have done for some years. VW undercut Ford on price for similar cars in any market in which they can get away with it, particularly in the UK!

Do you have the Fusion or the Focus there? Perhaps you could at least step up to a Fiesta turbo or a Kuga....

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
We have an N reg (1995/96) Peugeot 306. Diesel. Bought for £750 about five years ago. Still going happily although we fear it might not get through the MOT this year without a lot of work.

Thurible

Look into the Ford C-max: we've even got it here in the US. My real-life friend and Shipmate Jahlove swears by Peugeots and is on her second one, but she prefers petrol with two doors... I think she has a tiny red one now.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

VWs evil: Ford's archrivals. NB: I own shares in Ford and have done for some years. VW undercut Ford on price for similar cars in any market in which they can get away with it, particularly in the UK!

Boogie, I agree the Passat is not VW's best model. I also am not wild about the Jetta. The GTI, however, [Axe murder]

And, Sir K, I own shares in VW, so I understand your attitude! Maybe we can agree on the evil that is Toyota... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

And, Sir K, I own shares in VW, so I understand your attitude! Maybe we can agree on the evil that is Toyota... [Big Grin]

I've seen motor trade articles from 40+ years ago saying that, despite better equipment (radio as standard and a heater included on basic models!!) Toyotas wouldn't sell in the UK because of the price of spares. After a few years it dawned on Ford UK, the Rootes Group (especially) and British Leyland, that the spares were pricey because they weren't needed much.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2008 black Subaru Outback station wagon, purchased used in 2010. I'm a station wagon kind of guy, as I have to parallel park on weekdays but want something I can get all of my camping gear / skis into on the weekend. I am sorry to see the station wagon's declining popularity. I am also a Subaru kind of guy. Every time I see a new Subaru advertisement, I nod my head and say "that advertisement was aimed at me and my wife." The black looked cool at the dealership; now I know that a black car shows dirt and dust like nothing else.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drive a red 3-door VW Up as my main car, in the "Move Up" middle spec to which I added a couple of extras when I ordered it...but I cannot now recall what those extras were. It is perfect for me plus one other, or me plus my handbag on the passenger seat. It is technically a 4 person vehicle, but is a bit awkward for elderly people to twist themselves into the rear seats. It's economical and cheap to tax.I love it!

Mr StE drives a silver BMW One series, which he drove from new as his company car, and which he bought from the lease company at the end of the lease period. His new job package does not give him a company car, unfortunately.

And our "toy" is a Ceirion silver (looks green to me) with a navy blue soft top Mazda MX5, which lives in the garage when we are not out in it - as a consequence it is usually covered in cat paw prints as our cat is absolutely fascinated with it and loves to walk all over it, go to sleep on it etc. We must be the only people who have to clean their car before going out in it...

This last is the car that drew the comment "b****y h**l it's the Vicar" at the Crem after a funeral...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charcoal grey 2011 Seat Altea. Diesel. Big fuel savings compared to my previous 2001 Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira which was petrol. The Zafira was better for the dogs. But getting unreliable. The Altea has the perfect tight suspension for the roads round here, strong acceleration for hill climbing, but not quite high enough off the ground for worn roads, badly ridged in the centre and scraping the underbelly of the car. None of that with the Zafira.

Nevertheless, buying a nearly new car meant I had a reliable vehicle, a fairly fresh engine and chassis, and a zippy smooth ride over long distances.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2007 Toyota Tarago 3.5 litre V6 (Previa in other markets) 8 seater in gold. 70000 kms

1996 VW Golf Cabriolet 2.0 litre 4 cyl. Silver. 96000 kms

mr curly

[ 08. March 2013, 00:06: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Silver 2000 Ford Focus SE with Z-Tec engine and a wing. Bought new in Nov 1999. At 178,000+ miles, I am due for my second tune-up.

I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016