homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Watch the Bible on Channel 5

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Watch the Bible on Channel 5
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like GB's own Channel 5 is going to show a US TV version of 'The Bible.'

Any of our US pals seen http://www.christiantoday.com/article/channel.5.to.broadcast.the.bible/32094.htm

AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught an episode while I was in the States - avoid like the plague. It was laughably bad and apparently the other episodes were no better. honestly, I expected a little better from the History Channel, I think they had about $10 left over in the production budget and decided to spend it on this series.

United Methodists have some good memes on their Facebook page about how bad the series was as well.

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AC Girl- I totally agree with you!! It was a lame, drawn out miniseries, and I was expecting a documentary-type thing. Especially after watching the excellent History channel series "The Men Who Built America", I was really expecting better!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
Looks like GB's own Channel 5 is going to show a US TV version of 'The Bible.'

Any of our US pals seen
it?

I fixed the link for you.

[ 11. April 2013, 04:54: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was it so popular and successful?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

I honestly have no idea. But, to be fair, there are a LOT of TV series that are popular for reasons that I cannot understand. My local TV critic gave it a very poor review and I don't think he was alone in his field. I personally could only stand about 20 minutes of it before I decided that he was absolutely right.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

I honestly have no idea. But, to be fair, there are a LOT of TV series that are popular for reasons that I cannot understand. My local TV critic gave it a very poor review and I don't think he was alone in his field. I personally could only stand about 20 minutes of it before I decided that he was absolutely right.
I think the site linked to might be slightly over-egging the pudding. 13 million sounds like a lot, but put against a population 300 million plus , not so much.

I got bored and looked at the current TV ratings and if Duck Dynasty (look it up, I love that show!) can rake in 7 million viewers, then 13 million isn't so unobotainable and, as has been said, ratings are no garuantee of quality.

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The title?

Seriously, as discussed in various places on the Ship before, there are Christian folk who will support anything on the right 'theme' regardless of its other merits, or lack of them.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend in the US advised me to watch this series as it is almost unwatchable. Yet the Time Life series that came out a few years ago doesn't appear to have ever been shown on TV despite a good cast and being reasonably watchable. The one with Ben Kingsley and Martin Landau etc. I have seen a few on DVD but they seem to be hard to get hold of.
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AngloCatholicGirl:
honestly, I expected a little better from the History Channel,

Hah, not me! When i got cable a few years ago, as a history buff i was happy that the History Channel was part of the package. It has turned out to be a disappointment. They are heavy on Nostradamus and speculations that aliens visited the earth in ancient times. Many of their shows don't really even have much to do at all with history AFAICS, but are simply of the overworked "reality" genre, such as Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I expected a little better from the History Channel

[Killing me]

Seriously, I hate this emoticon, as it is frequently used in Purgatory in place of a logical refutation of an argument, but,

[Killing me]

The History Channel has been a joke for at least the last five years. I have been urging my former college roommate, a history buff and TV critic, to start a blog called "This is why the History Channel Sucks" for a long time now. Somewhere between the constant ancient alien theory shows and MonsterQuest, it jumped the shark. Assuming that the three or so years of "All Hitler All the Time" programming hadn't already done it.

The one thing I have enjoyed about this series (which I have not watched at all) has been the controversy caused by the fact that the actor they chose to play the Devil turned out to kind of look like Obama. (N.B., I do not believe that Obama is the Devil, Anti-Chirst, or anything other than a well meaning member of the UCC.) I totally believe the producers who say that it was an accident, but you can't make gaffs like that up.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm disappointed to hear the series is so terrible; we'd considered getting it on DVD but it doesn't sound worth the money at all.

I'm very disappointed in the History Channel but to be fair to them I think they did start out doing actual history. Pressures of the market led them to add more and more ridiculous reality shows and alien stuff, because that's what people want to watch. I think the National Geographic channel has gone a bit the same way as have several other cable channels that started out with lofty ideals (from what I hear and see online; I don't get cable TV myself). It seems like only publicly funded TV can maintain any kind of integrity; everything commercial ends up sinking to the lowest common denominator.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
A friend in the US advised me to watch this series as it is almost unwatchable.

If that is what your friends are doing to you, what the heck do your enemies do???

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:
honestly, I expected a little better from the History Channel,

Hah, not me! When i got cable a few years ago, as a history buff i was happy that the History Channel was part of the package. It has turned out to be a disappointment. They are heavy on Nostradamus and speculations that aliens visited the earth in ancient times. Many of their shows don't really even have much to do at all with history AFAICS, but are simply of the overworked "reality" genre, such as Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men.
Totally agree. History Channel has gone downhill. It seems like now that the Military Channel is picking up where History left off- with all the Hitler programming and such.
Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The one thing I have enjoyed about this series (which I have not watched at all) has been the controversy caused by the fact that the actor they chose to play the Devil turned out to kind of look like Obama. (N.B., I do not believe that Obama is the Devil, Anti-Chirst, or anything other than a well meaning member of the UCC.) I totally believe the producers who say that it was an accident, but you can't make gaffs like that up.

<tangent>Back in the 1990s there was a cable TV production of Stephen King's The Stand and I thought the main evil character both looked and sounded a lot like Bill Clinton. </tangent>

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016