homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are You What You Planned To Be? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are You What You Planned To Be?
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: the general uselessness of careers advice.

I had one (mandatory) session at 16 at a time when I was hoping to become a Forensic Scientist. Having found some very basic info myself, her response was: interesting career choice, that info looks about right, I'm afraid I don't know anything else. Cheers for that, very helpful. [Roll Eyes]

I ended up studying archaeological sciences (yes, another one) including some forensic archaeology, but the job opportunities are small to nothing, resulting in work in 2 completely unrelated fields. It may not have been part of the Grand Plan, but I wouldn't change any of my education/training for anything. Whatever jobs I may have in the future, I'll always know how to put a skeleton back together. [Big Grin] You never know when odd knowledge will prove useful.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Are you what you planned to be?

God, no. Not in the least.

First off, I wanted to be an archaeologist. I can't remember why or at what point this hit the buffers but... probably when I went to secondary school and history in the first couple of years or so was dull.

Anyhow, my next grand plan was to speak multiple languages and to either a) join the diplomatic service or b) join the UN as a translator.

[tangent]we do seem to have had a large number of nascent translators or archaeologists..[/tangent]

Anyhow, the whole languages thing sort of stalled during English Lit O-level and my frustration at having to say the same thing several times to make the point (say it, quote it, refer to text - what's the point? I said it first time), and languages at A level were to a large degree lit based... Also I got kind of interested in chemistry.

Even so, I then fondly imagined I would go into drug development and run a laboratory/drug discovery team (Well, after first thinking I'd be an analytical chemist: work experience in this field was somehow simultaneouly interesting and deadly repetitive). So I ended up working in radioactive chemistry for medical imaging, by way of industry, academia and now the NHS. Even with a chemistry degree, I didn't know such things existed...

Fortunately however, I seem to have wound up doing something that actually suits me very well and I can't quite imagine what I would do if I didn't do this. Whilst I still enjoy different languages and the challenge of the way they're put together etc, and would love to be able to speak several fluently, it's entirely fair to say (with the benefit of hindsight) that the life of a diplomat or a translator, forever on the move, would probably have been really bad for me.

I'd forgotten that at one point I wanted to join the diplomatic services! I was 14 in 2003 and learning Arabic at school and it seemed well, useful.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Also I got kind of interested in chemistry.

I then fondly imagined I would go into drug development and run a laboratory I didn't know such things existed...

For reasons which I just can't fathom, your post reminded me of news I have just read that Breaking Bad is, at long last, just starting up here on free-to-air television.

(Sorry about that - just couldn't resist).

quote:

Whilst I still enjoy different languages and the challenge of the way they're put together etc, and would love to be able to speak several fluently

Learning a language is greatly overrated.

I did French at school, but when I finally got to France and spoke to people, I was disappointed to find that they just looked at me blankly.

Imagine that, a nation that can't even speak its own tongue!

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I see the thread title, I think of this song, and it's kind of sad. (See second verse.)

I have thought about this, and in light of a recent birthday I have decided my first answer wasn't entirely accurate.
The very first time I remember answering the question What do you want to be when you grow up?" (at age four, by my grandma) I answered "I want to be a funny lady, like Carol Burnett."

While I can't even claim anything near her accomplishments, I think I have turned out to be a pretty funny lady. [Smile]

[ 28. April 2013, 04:32: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to be a librarian.

Then I tried law school. Bombed - because I was bored.

Then I became a librarian. Never a boring minute for thirty years.

Now I am retired and I have finally found my niche.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Careers Advice? Don't make me laugh.

"Which university were you thinking of - Oxford, Cambridge? Or there's London or Bristol - oh, and I think we've got someone at Durham at the moment.

Some of your year have mentioned Sussex and Birmingham, but I shouldn't think you'd want to go there!

Of course, we can give you information on the army and navy - and I think sometimes they can use a degree too."

At this point I mumbled something about music conservatoire.

"Really, well, that's different. I'm afraid I don't really know about that but I expect you can find someone in the music department who may be able to help, hm? Still, plenty of time left and we all change our ideas at your sort of age."

In the music department only the peripatetics, not either head or deputy head of department was of any use and then, not much.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Learning a language is greatly overrated.

I did French at school, but when I finally got to France and spoke to people, I was disappointed to find that they just looked at me blankly.

Many people mistakenly think the point of learning a language is that it has some practical use. This unfortunately is only the case if you get really good at it.

I personally find languages a perfect opportunity to learn something that I will never find useful from a purely practical viewpoint, as a little personal protest against the idea that utility should govern whether one should learn something or not.

I have learnt many things that have no utility for me and treasure them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Kaplan Corday

Two thoughts occur:

• Might it have been your accent? Don't know where you're posting from but here in the UK there is very little emphasis placed on the importance of speaking French with an accent approximating something the natives might have.
  • Where in France you were might have some bearing on the matter; the denizens of Paris are notorious for refusing to budge over language and there are some in that fair city who will make no attempt to listen through a non-native accent. Alternatively, if you were in Brittany you may have encountered a Bretonne speaker and, if a nationalist, some are capable of refusing to speak French unless they absolutely must.

And for those who think my point about Brittany far-fetched, my late Papa LOVED the fact that he could speak Welsh there and be greeted with smiles whereas an MFL graduate in the party, speaking beautifully accented, faultless French would be answered with either a blank stare or in Bretonne.

Nid yw Celtic undod ydych yn gwybod! (Celtic solidarity, don't you know) [Snigger]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]

The Bretons like to believe their language is derived from Gaulish with a bit of south-west Brittonic thrown in.

It isn't, of course, it's pretty much middle Cornish with French influence*. I wonder if it being essentially a British language is why the French authorities have always hated it?

*And nothing like as close to Welsh as popular mythology has it. It's true that Breton onion sellers were understood in Wales decades ago, but that's because they'd taken the time to learn some Welsh.

[/tangent]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may tangentially allude to the various cries of "my careers advice was pants!"...

Has anyone here managed to find any decent careers advice at any point?

I work for a large UK university, suffice to say that we've just won the Boat Race. It took me over a decade of working for it to be eligible for assistance from Careers, only to find that they rely on Prospects Planner - which is aimed at school leavers applying for degrees, and really has passed its usefulness once you've taken your 2nd year options (note - even Prospects own career advisor says this!). That's over 20 years ago for me, so it's a bit bloomin' late. They also have a tool called Windmills that gets so far and then says "OK, now you need to make a list." I've made lists till I'm blue in the face! Here on the staff side, I've yet to hear anyone say "Actually, careers were really useful".

I'd love to be able to sit down with someone and really work through possibilities, but I'm well on the way to deciding that it's a pipe dream, and the reason that most careers advice is so pants is that actually it's (nearly?) impossible to sensibly give.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Careers advice at Grammar School consisted of: Choose the best university available for your favourite A-level subject.

You don't want to go to university? Sorry that does not compute....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Careers, in good schools, became a separate department and separate subject in the late 1970s - I remember having to spend at least 30 minutes per pupil on a 'JIG CAL' print out after several aptitude tests - before the government cut it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in eleventh grade, I made an appointment with the guidance counselor. He actively tried to discourage me from going to college, and to concentrate on homemaking, instead. (I graduated in the top twenty of my class, so not entirely useless in studies.) When I insisted on a college education, and asked for help with scholarships, he wrote the name of a book and told me to borrow it from the school library and just choose a potential grant or scholarship from that. [Roll Eyes] The three inch thick book (which I did study) was full of information overload, and full of things that did not apply to me at all.

My brother made the same appointment with the guidance counselor the following year. Even though he was far lower in his class than I was in mine, the counselor found him several potential scholarships and had many recommendations for the universities and colleges in our state.

Thank goodness that era has mostly come to an end.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Napoleon used to say, “On s’engage, et puis on voit” – you commit yourself and then see how things work out.

I committed myself to a rather ponderous and, I would have thought, obvious joke (ie my schoolboy French, spoken with an Australian accent, was impossible for French people to understand, leading me to conclude that the French couldn’t speak their own language) but came to see from the responses of KLB and L’organist that I should have signalled it with an emoticon.

Quel shemozzle!

Seriously (Note: no smirky emoticon), though I didn’t like French and was not good at it, in retrospect it was one of the most valuable subjects that I ever studied, for cultural, intellectual and practical reasons.

The people to whom I spoke in France were actually gratifyingly patient, and met me half-way.

Even when we worked in India I was once able (to the amazement of my children) to help some French-speaking tourists, and when we holidayed in Pondicherry and were looking for accommodation, I was able to explain to my wife that the imposing building carrying the sign Hotel de Ville was not in fact a hotel.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

A professional career counsellor was of some use. Mostly, dare I say it given a certain thread that's now in Purg... the personality-work type survey that he got me to do (Birkman) was quite helpful.

I'm not sure how much this all cost (although I imagine it was quite a bit), because I was in the fortunate and unusual position of having it paid for by my previous employer. I'll say one thing for the big consulting firms: if it turns out that you're just not at all suited to consulting, they'll treat you nicely - possibly because they see you as a potential future client.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

Quel shemozzle!

[Yipee]

( a fine Yiddish word meaning "hullabaloo", which is a fine English word, so you should know it.)

Judy, My grandma got the same counselor you did. My stupid counselor told me not to take the SATs because I planned to go to community college before university. Idiot.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

At school it was "Sorry, it isn't really intended for people who want to go on to university."

At university I had a careers adviser who made it pretty clear he didn't have a lot of time for someone who had no idea what they wanted to do, and based on my having admitted I'd spent part of the summer helping someone decorate their flat, was advised to go into housing management or work for the Gas Board.

After university I tried a local careers centre's computer program. It told me I should be a computer programmer, which I didn't want to be. About three years later I came back and gave it another go. It told me I should be in the job I was then in, which I disliked.

I haven't bothered with careers advisers since then, and I still have no very clear idea of what I want to do; not everyone has a clearcut ambition to be one thing in particular. There are things I enjoy, but if they become compulsory from 9-5 for 5 days a week the fun element tends to go out of them, so they're better kept as spare-time activities.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The talk given by the woman from the Careers Service to us 6th form girls was probably one of the most radicalising experiences of my life. Did you know that if you are studying A levels with a view to going to university and are looking for a creative career, you could, oh, work in a flower shop?

Of the school's in house provision, I can remember only a leaflet entitled 'Dieticians Help People' - which made me want to find a job being evil and ruthless straight away.

There was never any effort to apply a methodology which would actually identify strengths, weaknesses, abilities, inclinations - 'What do you want to do?' - 'Dunno' - 'Teaching, then.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I wanted to be a blacksmith but unfortunately the school I went to reserved metalwork for the violent or stupid. Being good at maths I was only allowed to choose computer programmer as a career choice. Even more unfortunately I am good at maths but really terrible at programming (I also loathe technology) so now I do bookkeeping work for minimum wage.

Maybe if I had punched a few teachers or failed my exams I might have been what I wanted.

If you are on minimum wage anyway - you might as well retrain as a blacksmith and/or farrier. You'll make more and can probably get the training funded.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/career-planning/getting-job/i-want-your-job-blacksmith-875477.html

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
School specialised in languages - fortunately, I loved them. I did French and German at GCSE and German at A Level (but didn't complete an A Level in it because of various issues), and enjoyed languages for their own sake.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My school careers advice was that I shouldn't go to University.

We had three people with different careers come to talk to us for three consecutive weeks - a theatre director, a missionary on furlough and a newspaper editor. Plus there was a rack of leaflets in the school library. And then we each had a career interview, at which I was told that University probably wasn't for me. Apparently I have a very low IQ.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wanted to be a solicitor since I was about 14. How boring is that?

Actually, there were a couple of potential deviations from The Plan™: the first when I was about 20 and wanted to be a missionary for about 5 minutes and then a little later in the Goth phase from which my avatar dates when I was in a Goth band and wanted to make a career out of that, which lasted until we failed to get a record deal [Waterworks]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Wanted to be a solicitor since I was about 14. How boring is that?

Stop it; you're freaking me out!

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to have a career like Joey Bettany in the Chalet School Books; combining writing historical novels with having numerous children, and a housekeeper to do all the boring stuff, leaving me to spend my days writing, doing the non-messy aspects of raising a dozen adoring children, plus a spot of gardening and flower arranging.

I also fancied running my own museum.

The first practical plan was to be a librarian, but a summer holiday job in the Council Library Department aged 16 put me off that. (Though it was an excellent job - I was put in the room of secret books - books which were part of the library, but uncatalogued, on the basis that if no-one knew they were there, no-one could borrow them.)

Having been told that a history degree would be a quick route to a career as a bus driver, I opted for law. I knew throughout the degree that I was far more interested in history than law, but persisted, got the degree, did the training, became a solicitor; all of which convinced me that I really wanted to study history. So I started my history degree through the OU whilst working full time as a solicitor, then chucked the legal career when my son came along and combined finishing the history degree with being at home with the babies. I'm currently writing up my history PhD.

My 18 year old self would be beyond delighted to think I'd one day do a history PhD, but horrified that I would be in my late 40s by the time I did it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until they find a way to make radioactive spiders that bite teenagers transforming them into superheroes my first choice is out.

I was convinced that my band was going to make it. Unfortunately other people have to like 13/8 time signatures in order to like our music so that career disapeared.

Comic book artist? I liked drawing and am not bad at it but was too undisciplined to put the hours in.

So that's it. I'm a failure [Waterworks]

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, glad i'm not the only one told I wasn't clever enough to go to uni (or in my case to do A-levels) and have since proved people wrong.
When I was growing up I didn't really know what I wanted to be other than not a nurse, which is what my mum really really wanted me to do!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I planned on being a teacher; I have spent the last 19 years working in university student services departments.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally am I the only person here who gets a burning desire any time that someone says "Why don't you go into teaching/admin/sales? (or combination the worst possible options thereof) to kick them so hard up the arse that their teeth splinter?

AG
(dunno about the thread, but I seem to be getting increasingly hellish - need a cuppa, methinks)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
So I started my history degree through the OU whilst working full time as a solicitor, then chucked the legal career when my son came along and combined finishing the history degree with being at home with the babies. I'm currently writing up my history PhD.

I'm in my last year of the OU history degree, doing Total War at the moment (and writing an essay today).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to work in a medical research lab. I am now a clinical research coordinator, so I am still in medical research, but in a different way.

I thought I'd have a higher degree and more money, but it didn't work out that way.

As different times, I wanted to be a writer and graphic artist. I actually do these things but as a hobby.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Medical research lab? Researcher or subject? [Two face]

[ 30. April 2013, 14:11: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Researcher. [Big Grin] You know, slides, petri dishes, test tubes...I love all that stuff!

And just a note: I have never tested on animals, so to all animal rights people: no hate mail please!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
quote:

Researcher. [Big Grin] You know, slides, petri dishes, test tubes...I love all that stuff!

I used to, but years of just exploring one more pathway for one more paper have left me pretty jaded, and I can't find my way into something closer to an application. Any bright ideas?

AG

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
quote:

I used to, but years of just exploring one more pathway for one more paper have left me pretty jaded, and I can't find my way into something closer to an application. Any bright ideas?

AG

Not sure how to answer since I don't much about your background. I don't work in the drug development area, I work in administering developed drugs and collecting data.

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see now … digging deep into what is now ancient history:

• in elementary school, wanted to be a librarian
  • in first three years of high school, definitely wanted to be a micro-biologist, which was totally unrealistic, as our school had a very weak science division
  • started organ lessons in 11th grade and by the next year was going full tilt towards college level training in church music
  • thanks to a dept chair who was just as trying as he could be, I dropped the program in my senior year, and started work as a church secretary
  • went back for a second try at music (at another institution) which didn't work out
  • tested high on the Computer Aptitude Test, was hired as a programmer, and worked in that field nearly 30 years, of which I enjoyed maybe the first 10
  • was recommended to a vocational testing service, which after many, many tests and interviews, said that I should be either a librarian (see above) or a hair-dresser, and should never have anything to do with computers!
  • started free-lance performing arts reviewing (great fun!) and some creative writing
  • worked for 10 years as a church administrator and part-time organist-choirmaster (life can be elliptical)
  • worked briefly as a full-time church musician (see above)
  • am now happily retired, though still doing some church music and some writing
Could I or anyone have predicted that? Probably not!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've ever only wanted to be an artist. Not fit for anything else. It's the kind of job many people dream about, especially kids, but usually grow out of except I didn't. It is a really tough world to break in to and have it be be an actual career and not just a hobby. It involves more isolation and rejection than a normal, healthy person would probably want to endure.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely not. Had planned (I thought God was in agreement!) to be ordained as a C of E Priest. Got though selection and began training, but bottled it. That was about 15 years ago. Now I'm a Mental Health Nurse. Still don't know if I made the right choice regarding ordination. I hope to have the chance to ask one day.......
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Careers, in good schools, became a separate department and separate subject in the late 1970s - I remember having to spend at least 30 minutes per pupil on a 'JIG CAL' print out after several aptitude tests - before the government cut it.

And by the 80s my school had 1 teacher who also taught woodwork/metalwork/electronics providing career advice. He gave me good advice for what I wanted to do at the time, and an interesting work placement for my work experience week (in the Bod bookstacks [Big Grin] ).

The majority of my friends reckoned the JIG CAL stuff was rigged, as we all got teacher at the top of our recommended careers, and at the time none of us wanted to do that! (Far as I know none of us have gone into teaching either).

I'm now in an admin job which can get a bit too interesting at times due to what we admin for. Maybe I'll have a look and see what I'd need to do to become a librarian...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Maybe I'll have a look and see what I'd need to do to become a librarian...

That's excellent if it's what you really want to do, Celtic Knotweed, but go careful, noone is hiring librarians, especially qualified ones, at the moment. Even academic libraries are full of ex-public library staff.

[ 01. May 2013, 20:39: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Is anyone hiring anyone at the moment?

AG

[ 02. May 2013, 08:27: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:

AG

Good Point. [Frown]

(Though re: library staff. IME non-hiring of qualified staff has lasted at least a decade so far and counting).

[ 02. May 2013, 19:51: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One professional librarian post going at MK right now. Current incumbent retiring early and travelling the world. Insert jealous smiley here.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I've seen something that indicated that gaining a library qualification actually lowered your earning potential...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AG

There is a proposal (no more than that) for a few technical librarians where I work. It's a longshot, we may recruit from within, and I can assure you that the pay will be shite, but it might happen.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

The majority of my friends reckoned the JIG CAL stuff was rigged, as we all got teacher at the top of our recommended careers, and at the time none of us wanted to do that! (Far as I know none of us have gone into teaching either).
From what I remember, the only person who could 'rig' them was the person filling in the form to start with. Even then, there are lots of questions that are repeated in different words to trip up anyone trying to lie.

When I filled on in, it came up with barrister, social worker, teacher. The 3rd is what I did, the 2nd I'd considered. Barrister took me by surprise until I read that it required oratory and precision.

It didn't come up with 'priest' - Because I said I didn't want to work on Sundays!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at college training to be a teacher, BBC computers started arriving in schools. So, in the very last week of our training, we were shown a computer and invited to have a try. I, like several others, were very reluctant to even touch it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that, 20+ years later, I would be a Host on an Internet Bulletin Board!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chorister: When I was at college training to be a teacher, BBC computers started arriving in schools. So, in the very last week of our training, we were shown a computer and invited to have a try. I, like several others, were very reluctant to even touch it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that, 20+ years later, I would be a Host on an Internet Bulletin Board!
You probably would have rejected the idea anyway: "A Board with 17,616 members? And I suppose that I am going to have to format all those floppy disks. No way!"

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016