homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On a scale of 1 to 10 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On a scale of 1 to 10
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't compare childbirth because I've never done it and can't as a boy. My scale:

1: ?

2-3: dental filling without anaesthetic, which is all of mine, it's short in duration, just have to be calm.

4-6: head cold headache

7-9: injection directly into my eyeball right between the coloured part and the white, sort of inflated it actually. "just stay still and don't blink..."

10: Portuguese man-of-war Jellyfish sting, which is like that initial feeling when you get a hand burnt on a stove, but that initial feeling just keeps on going for 3 or 4 days.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should say that my labor was very long and difficult, nearly resulting in my having a c-section. But it just wasn't all that painful. I agree with North East Quine on that, it was more just a long, tiring, uncomfortable slog.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, the comments on duration.
I would say that a rapid spike in pain might be perceived as more intense than a build-up. And a long term duration might also affect how one rates the pain as ones stamina fades.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Childbirth varies too. My first child, when I was in my 20s, was a 6 pounder.

Were you birthing or fishing?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slipped disc: 9
Having to use public transportation to go see my doctor and hitting ever single pothole on the twenty minute ride: 10++++

I had to clench my teeth to keep from screaming the entire trip.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question sort of related to this topic... on a scale of 1 to 10, how painful is a spinal tap/lumbar puncture?! $500 is my reward for enduring one but I'm worried that the pain will be too much.

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends what they do. The actual puncture is about a 2-6 depending on how sensitive you are and whether they can give an anaesthetic jab first. The headaches from drawing off a certain amount of spinal fluid can be anything from a 1 up to a 12...

I paid my way through University by doing virtually every medical study that paid more than twenty quid a day. A network soon developed among serial testees to pass along details of the well-paid and painless studies. Lumbar punctures and deep tissue samples were generally left for the newbies and the masochists.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

7-9: injection directly into my eyeball right between the coloured part and the white, sort of inflated it actually. "just stay still and don't blink..."

If you mean under the conjunctiva, I used to administer loads of these in eye casualty and I suggest you ask the doctor/nurse to use stronger anaesthetic drops as some work far better than others. If you mean deeper then ouch, I've assisted with those...

Re: the spinal, I've had one and didn't consider it too bad, certainly not in comparison with childbirth as at least it is over relatively quickly. But it does depend on your own pain threshold. I didn't get the headache afterwards but know people who have and that is pretty debilitating.

I think the worse pain I've had was a failed anaesthetic block at the dentist, when he hit a nerve I nearly leapt out of the chair. But that was instant, it's hard to compare acute and chronic.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

If you mean under the conjunctiva, I used to administer loads of these in eye casualty and I suggest you ask the doctor/nurse to use stronger anaesthetic drops as some work far better than others. If you mean deeper then ouch, I've assisted with those...
Ah, memories ...!

Not only very painful but very distressing, too. For a start, you can't even not look at what's going on. And then there are all those primal fears and squeamishness about things penetrating your eye ... *shudder*.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10 was definitely during a colposcopy when they decided they needed to do a large loop excision (eg heated loop of wire to remove the abnormal cells). Local anaesthetic given, but didn't cover far enough.
I think I nearly flew out of the stirrups!

[ 02. May 2013, 17:39: Message edited by: The Kat in the Hat ]

--------------------
Less is more ...

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Ah, memories ...!

Not only very painful but very distressing, too. For a start, you can't even not look at what's going on. And then there are all those primal fears and squeamishness about things penetrating your eye ... *shudder*.

It was deeper I think. Yes, both painful and intimidating. I sweated buckets and also was sent out of the hospital by myself, and ended up lost. I couldn't see at the time, and had ask cleaning staff to help to the front door where my ride was to be waiting. All in all, something this rather sensitive new age guy had to cry about later, rather weirdly with an inflated eyeball and all.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread, BTW, rates a 1 to 2 for me. Between the pain I have experienced and a vivid imagination, this thread causes real physical discomfort. Weird.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. I had been thinking of making a dental appointment but have now decided to put it off till I'm desperate!
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the basis that everyone has to learn somehow, I once let a very junior medical student do a lumbar puncture on me...

The third time he jarred the needle into bone I counted to 30 before finally asking that he get it right the next time.

Excruciating - 8 easily.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't ever break your tail bone - that was a definate 10 and I have quite a high threshold for pain
Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
On the basis that everyone has to learn somehow, I once let a very junior medical student do a lumbar puncture on me...

The third time he jarred the needle into bone I counted to 30 before finally asking that he get it right the next time.

Excruciating - 8 easily.

OUCH! Well, luckily for me, the lumbar puncture is part of a medical research study and the doctors are from Emory University Hospital, which is one of the best hospitals in the United States. I trust them pretty much with everything as I have been seeing doctors there since 2002. Oh, and they DO give a numbing shot before the puncture. I may break down and have it done... that's $500 extra in my pocket, after all.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... but this was in the UK and I did it for free!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
This thread, BTW, rates a 1 to 2 for me. Between the pain I have experienced and a vivid imagination, this thread causes real physical discomfort. Weird.

I agree. I now feel very guilty (and humble) at even mentioning my very minor accident in the OP.

To make it worse, because of the accident I missed a gathering of my wife's family. Lovely folk all (well almost all) but I prefer them a couple at a time. Since they are probably aware of this she 'bigged-up' my accident so it didn't look as if I was making an excuse. And now they keep ringing to check how I am. On a scale of 1 to 10, I find that more shaming than I found the injury painful.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a more realistic scale.

[Smile]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is making me feel a bit sick!

But before stopping reading, I just want to say that, for me, the pain of childbirth is indeed extreme, yet somehow different from other pain. This is what my mother told me before I had babies, and it turned out to be true....

I had three children without any anaesthetic whatsoever, and I would say that while it does hurt incredibly (the contractions, especially at peak, rather than the actual emerging of the baby), it doesn't feel like an assault on the body, an outraging of the flesh, in the same way as other pain does. It feels more--or did to me--like the body doing its --very hard, very difficult, very painful--work....
Though I may well have some words when I meet my Maker about just why it has to be like this!

So I would hesitate to give it a number, or would want a different sort of scale, or something.....

I have had slipped and bulging disks--worst pain related to this was an 8 (with 10 being unimaginable torture-type pain).

I have had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy which was also an 8 at maximum, except for a brief but appalling moment during the ER work-up for this when it went to at least 9...but let us draw a veil.

I have a gallstone which so far, and please God let it be ever thus, has only given me mild discomfort, but I am now even more scared than I was before of the famous biliary colic....

Enough. Feeling queasy. Punishment for noodling around on the Ship when I should be swabbing the decks in Real Life.

--------------------
Pondering.

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently at about a 6-7. I damaged my cruciate ligament (I think, have to go for an MRI scan later in the week) so I am on crutches, already at about a 4. I usually cycle to work but cycling one-legged is a skill that I can't quite master (although a unipedal friend of mine does quite admirably) so I caught the bus. I took a later bus to avoid the hordes of children and unwittingly got on a bus full to the rafters with pensioners out for a free day riding around on their passes. Not one person would let me have a seat and on rounding a particularly sharp corner my crutches slipped and I fell flat on my face so now my knee hurts, my wrist seems to be sprained and my nose has only just stopped bleeding.

I'm going to get a wheelchair for tomorrow.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bob Two-Owls [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

Thanks Boogie, the wheelchair almost makes up for it though, these things are ace when you don't have to think about spending the rest of your life in one!

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016