homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Getting the answer by divination (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Getting the answer by divination
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An electric fence would have given them pause... (Water being a conductor 'n' that).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the recesses of my memory I seem to remember a novel where a character got guidance by sticking his finger into the works of SirnWalter Scott.

Anyone know this story and can help by are minding me of it
[Smile]

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoever it was would have had a bit of a job on his hands with about 30 novels to choose from plus all Scott's other works.

I went through several packs of Tarot cards before finding one that "clicked" and which worked for me. Some packs I simply couldn't get on with at all. I don't use it much, just to get some illumination on a particular situation from time to time.

I've tried a variety of other things including I Ching, the runes, coins etc etc, but prefer the cards as a useful method of visual stimulus.

Sometimes divination can be useful in clarifying a decision simply because it makes the decision for you, and if your immediate reaction to that decision is then disappointment rather than relief, you have then realized that you did indeed have a preference.

Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
But did you have the feast as you were directed to do by the passage?

I did not. But then (pending confirmation, which I should be getting tomorrow) it seems that my temp agency have got me another job, which should last about the same length of time - admittedly only 4-6 weeks, but it's a step up!!
Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
An electric fence would have given them pause... (Water being a conductor 'n' that).

The thought crossed my mind. As did finding a dye which would fluoresce green when hit with the stuff.

Back to thread - I did receive a quite strong warning about this sort of activity once. I have a friend who sometimes feels strongly moved to consult the Bible about things that trouble him, and finds guidance. I was deeply concerned about a family member's troubles, and praying in a church when I found a similar urge, which I followed by walking to the lectern. The passage I read could not have been more relevant to the issue, was something I had no idea was in the OT at all, and was something which, had I based any action on, would have led to something completely dire. The true message being, I feel, like the message here if one accidentally presses the edit icon instead of the quote - this isn't your business.
Something not entirely different with the dipper thing, yesterday. I'm going to stop regarding it as a joke, and leave it be.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I agree. As I said up thread, you occasionally get an Extremely Pointed response. (One I remember was when I was trying to discover if a course of study I was pursuing would land me a job: it was basically 'Quit faffing about with oracles and do some work').
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
they have set up an algorithm

Therein lies the important difference. The idea of divination is, surely, that there is no algorithm. Or, if there is, it has been written by GodFate/Chance/Ancestral Voices/Inner Wisdom - or whatever it is you think you are accessing by your chosen means.
I agree but, being old, can remember an early Russian computer which generated random numbers really randomly by measuring current fluctuations in a leaky thermionic valve (why? - it was the 60s, even Russians were weird). So if that were used in the algorithm would it be divination? OK with Chance I guess, God definitely, Ancestral Voices probably not - I doubt if any of mine could hex a valve.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016