homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That perfect missed photo opportunity...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: That perfect missed photo opportunity...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've all been there. What was that perfect photo you would have taken, but didn't because you didn't have a camera at the time/the battery went flat/the lens cap was still on/etc?

Mine would have been during one lunch break when I went for a walk. It was a short route I knew extremely well and while I normally have a camera with me, this was the one day I didn't because I knew there'd be nothing photogenic along the way.

As I walked along there was a rustle in the bushes, and to my complete amazement a small female deer broke cover and walked along the path beside me. We stopped at the end and looked at each other for a minute before she ran off, quite unafraid. It had felt magical, in 9 years of going along that path I'd never seen any deer on it before, and it was the one day I had nothing to capture that special moment with.

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a whole lot of fish standing on their tails and kind of walking. It was in a pool on a fish farm and they were carp.
Like the one of St Anthony preaching to the fish!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Riga - a big monument guarded by soldiers - a downpour of the heaviest rain i have ever seen - soldiers did a funny march and lots of saluting and then legged it back to their barracks.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following a rain storm one spring, the cat was chasing a butterfly across the yard. The cat took a leap and a swing at the butterfly, missed the butterfly but hit a near by up turned lily which was full of water. Water dumped on cat. Oh how I wish I could have had a video of that.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was walking through an outdoor sculpture park in Seattle and came on a large stainless steel sculpture with a lot of beams going in various directions.

In the middle of it, a spider had woven a large web from the beams. It was dotted with raindrops from the light sprinkle. The light was such that you could see all the threads of the web.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not long since a lorry parked outside my house. The driver had disappeared off to do something, and in the driver's seat, facing front, was an alsatian looking for all the world like he was going to check the mirror and drive away. Sadly by the time I'd got my camera, the driver was back (unless he was a were-alsatian and it was the driver all along [Paranoid] ). Foiled again.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was waiting at platform 2 of Didcot Parkway. On the far side of the station a goods train was trundling slowly through. The front end stopped. The back end kept going. It was the slowest train crash ever. Very slowly, the end of one truck pushed the end of another up into the air. The train finally stopped moving with those two trucks propping one another precariously up, right in front of a sign saying "Welcome to Didcot Railway Centre".
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One evening on t'allotment with perfectly angled light on perfect apple blossom.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These are exactly the moments I try to capture is short pieces of poems that I call glimpses. No need for a camera just to look, see and recall. Such as:

Seen
A black silk knotted hanky
lies in the gutter
beside a yellow paved road
forgotten

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Gurney driving a green sports car at Riverside, California in a race when I was eight.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Driving across Twickenham Bridge one summer evening. It was raining over Richmond Hill, the low sun was exactly in the right direction to give a rainbow framing Richmond, its famous hill and the river Thames below.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big fireball over Mozambique one day, lasting for seconds.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coming down Elhi Hill near home, the sky was hung with black clouds. The sun was out behind the trees to one side, but I couldn't see it from where I was. I'm coming down the hill, and the hillside is dark, but the high-tension power lines high above are catching the coppery sun, striping the hillside with thin lines of fire.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The coyote who appeared within feet of our Jeep one summer afternoon on M-22 in northern Michigan as we started home after a vacation,and who just stood there for a moment watching us. I could have reached out and touched its head; it made eye contact with me.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A male and a female lion fighting over a piece of antilope.

Camera batteries empty [brick wall]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A winter sunset over the Forth with a sea mist rising. The strands of the road bridge and the interlacing of the rail crossing hanging in an expanse of incandescent rose.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two:

One I actually took but it was film camera, and the film wasn't advancing, so it didn't come out. There's an abandoned photo kiosk in Pacifica that, despite many years of disuse, the strip-mall owners won't take down. It collects a certain amount of commentary and speculation. (it's a TARDIS, I know, duh.) Anyway, it was a creepily misty day, the fog very thin but also overcast, so I got (or thought I got) a very clear picture of the humble brown kiosk with a sinister mid-day sun hovering over it that was so fog- filtered it looked like a very bright moon. It was perfect. Or would have been.

Two; I was solo-vacationing in Petaluma, and one night while walking back to my car I passed the Oddfellows building. A full moon hung over it, and on top of the building, spotlit, was an arched panel with a pyramid/ eye motif. Neph is scarily into Illuminati stuff, which I tut him about, but I decided to indulge him and got out my phone to take a picture. Battery dead.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was walking in Muir Woods north of San Francisco late one afternoon, when I saw a few people crouched down near a creek. One of them beckoned to me while using the universal "Sshhh!" gesture. When I got closer I saw a mama deer and a fawn drinking from the creek. We were so close. For the life of me, I don't remember what the problem with my camera was, but I desperately wanted to take a picture and couldn't. I think it might have been out of film and the mechanical noises would have startled the deer if I tried to fuss with it.

[ 10. June 2013, 23:33: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so so many!

two come to mind right off the bat. Once, when I was in college and living in a tiny cabin in the woods, I noticed my bedroom suddenly got dark (this was June, so no darkness) I looked up to see a giant moose ass pressed up against the glass as if he were mooning me. or resting his butt for a few minutes. too dark to get a photo, though.

When I was about 6 or 7, my mom and I were sailing in Prince William Sound for a week or so away from the world. We had a good clip going one afternoon and were racing down a strait - I thought we were going so fast as to be flying! Mom then pointed behind us to this GIANT dorsal fin catching up to us fast. This massive orca, with the dorsal all bent over from size, just ambled up to us as if we were dead in the water. It came up to the side of our (22 foot!) boat, and took a good long look. if I hadn't been absolutely paralyzed, I could have reached out and touched his eyeball.

it was a big damn eyeball. He(?) was huge compared to our little boat. after probably a few seconds at the most (seemed like an age) he took off ahead and left us in the dust.

would have been one hell of a shot. I think both of us were just busy feeling very very small and fragile and the camera option never even occurred.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On holiday in Germany a few years ago. Two German police officers in full uniform, guns etc, riding very solemnly down the main shopping street on segways.

The moment the baby lemurs in one of the animal parks on the Isle of Wight jumped all over lemur-obsessed KGlet2's pushchair, the camera battery died.

Last week, KGlet1 lying under a tree in the sunshine, just being.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on a sightseeing boat in Alaska a few years ago taking pictures. I had a strong urge to change the batteries, but didn't. Just then, a humpback whale leaped straight up out of the water within a few feet of where I was standing. The batteries, of course, died right then.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On holiday on the French/Swiss border July 2005. I switched on the TV mid-morning to get the weather forecast to plan a hike. They were talking about reports coming in of a 'power surge' knocking out the London Tube. Over the next couple of hours it became apparent the power surge was a number of bombs.

In the end, as there was nothing I could do I stomped up a mini-mountain.

It was either very misty or lots of very low cloud - I could only see about 20 metres ahead. Then, out of the mist a mountain goat with curly horns came into sight standing on a rock jutting out on my right, in full traditional 'mountain goat on a mountain in the mist' pose. He stood there for a few minutes - but no camera...

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were dining at a window table in our hotel restaurant in Prince Rupert BC a couple of weeks ago. A bald eagle suddenly soared past the window about three metres away. Both cameras were still in our room.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Haydee...

"Then, out of the mist a mountain goat with curly horns came into sight standing on a rock jutting out on my right, in full traditional 'mountain goat on a mountain in the mist' pose. He stood there for a few minutes - but no camera..."

Not surprised - I've never seen a goat with a camera! [Killing me]

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Meerkat: Not surprised - I've never seen a goat with a camera! [Killing me]
I have, after it had stolen mine [Frown]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016