homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fantasy holidays

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fantasy holidays
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really travel except the odd trip to Scotland to see my family and at the moment I don't even own a current passport but I saw this and now I desperately want to do this. It has travel book written all over it.

What would your fantasy holiday be?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one me and the mrs have been planning for our retirement!

A musical tour of the USA.

Fly into Chicago and sample the blues clubs therein. Drive down through the country stopping off at all the various music locations such as Gracelands, Memphis, Nashville until we reach the Mississipi Delta to finish off at the birthplace of the Blues.

I cannot wait.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
finish off at the birthplace of the Blues.

I didn,t realise there were any cotton plantations with slaves left in the States. [Biased]

But why end there? Continue on down to New Orleans for the blues and jazz.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just booked on a cruise to Norway and the Faroes in 2015 for a total eclipse and northern lights, and only just made it, despite having had my eyes out for it for years. And I got a single cabin (half the size for twice the money, but for this I won't quibble).
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think cruise ships are my thing (I'd probably start pushing people overboard around day 2), but a total eclipse?! I'm officially jealous now.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I've just booked on a cruise to Norway and the Faroes in 2015 for a total eclipse and northern lights, and only just made it, despite having had my eyes out for it for years. And I got a single cabin (half the size for twice the money, but for this I won't quibble).

This sounds very cool. Good for you!

My sis and I have been daydreaming for years about eventually seeing Machu Picchu, but, dire poverty aside, from what I understand you have to have really good physical fitness to pull that off-- at the very least, strong lungs and well-developed lower body strength. It's a great incentive. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to Machu Pichu and didn't know anything about that! Though we took the bus rather than walking the trail. I guess you'd have to be fairly fit to do the latter.

Amazing place, def worth saving up to get there.

That train tour also looks great. I'd love to see North Korea, though of course I guess you get a very controlled and filtered view of it.

I'm fairly widely travelled but I really want to go to Ethiopia. Particularly to see Lalibela and other cave churches.

One day.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously cool. I don't have the clothes for it! And it's a small ship - I've been on one before and saw the giant things looming over the Med and realised I would definitely not like them. This one has Chris Lintott (Patrick Moore's successor) as a lecturer. (The other was also educational. Can't be doing with nothing to do except play cards (can only play cheat), go to the salon, and lie about on deck. And eat.)

What I do hope is that it isn't cloudy. I've seen one of those in Cornwall. Interesting, in a monstrous crow flew over sort of way, but not the full experience.

I have waited till retiring, and found that it is now a sparse time for eclipses in sensible places. I wish I had known about sabbaticals for that sort of thing back in my working life.

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dream is to walk the John Muir trail from Yosemite to Mount Whitney, 3 weeks backpacking through the Sierra Nevada . May well remain a dream as even if I could get fit enough, I have never found anyone daft enough to do it with me and I wouldn't feel confident about doing it alone.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given funding and time (and a suitable companion): Fly into Heathrow, lease a car, and drive clockwise around the isle of Britain (near the coast where possible) with excursions farther inland.

(Nope, don't have funding, time or a companion.)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a couple of holidays travelling through Africa or Central America by public transport, I guess they would qualify as my dream vacation.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About twenty years ago I saw a trip advertised that I desperately wanted to go on. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money.

It was a trip through the Northwest Passage on a Russian icebreaker. The quest for the Northwest Passage had always gripped my imagination, and this would have been fantastic.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

That sounds fabulous [Smile] I saw the eclipse over Northern France in the late 1990s and we got a clear view as a window broke in the clouds - it was beautiful, especially as we were on a cliff and the sea birds all went quiet until 'dawn' when we were treated to a loud chorus. But I'd love to see the Northern Lights.
My dream trip since childhood has been to visit Mauritius, home of the golden bats and pink pigeons of the Gerald Durrell books. But the trip in the OP would come pretty close to my other half's dream trip and does look amazing, perhaps I should work on him for that one!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
...My dream trip since childhood has been to visit Mauritius, home of the golden bats and pink pigeons of the Gerald Durrell books...

[statement from the Yorkshire branch of the Mauritius Tourist Board]

You should definitely go. I've been a few times as I've got relatives there so am kind of biased, but it is a genuinely stunning place. Sadly there isn't much in the way of bats outside of the conservation centres, but it's pretty good for fish and the kind of iguanas that wander into your kitchen if you leave the door open. Best seen by ignoring your travel agent and going self-catering.

[/statement from the Yorkshire branch of the Mauritius Tourist Board]

[ 09. June 2013, 23:03: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everywhere. I want to visit the world. I hate being still.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I've been to Machu Pichu and didn't know anything about that! Though we took the bus rather than walking the trail. I guess you'd have to be fairly fit to do the latter.

Amazing place, def worth saving up to get there.

Yeah, I guess I should have said-- I wanna try conquering those stairs.I understand this is makes me a crazy person.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy - the French pacific islands: New Caledonia, Fiji, Wallis & Fortuna, etc. In the best of all possible worlds going via Reunion in the Indian Ocean.

Why? Well, apart from the fantastic scenery (I've been lucky to go to a couple of Pacific islands years ago) the Francophone islands offer the best of all possible world - fantastic natural wonders, marvellous seafood and French cooking [Smile]

Of course, if you can't get that far, try either Martinique and Guadeloupe in the caribbean or Mauritius: the local bus service in Mauritius is excellent and cheap [Smile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the curators from our local natural history museum just wrote an article in the newsletter about his time in Mauritius. It looks fascinating, especially the hybrid religion and roadside shrines featured in the article.

We recently determined that you could probably spend many years exploring Mexico without getting sick of it, and at half of the price of a trip to Europe from here. So we are starting in on the Spanish baby Einstein videos, in hopes of starting that project.

The actual exploration will take place over many trips, but since we are talking about fantasy holidays, how about a month or two in Mexico, with the only dates on the itinerary being the arrival in the D.F. and departure from a beach hotspot. I'd like to tour the baroque cities of the highlands, eat several meals in Puebla and Oaxaca city, go find a lovely deserted beach in Oaxaca state, drive from ruin to ruin in the Yucatan, sample the famous bar snacks in Merida, and then unwind from all of that driving and eating on a beach where they will bring Pacifico beers to my seat. Sure, that last part's not the "real Mexico," but I would have earned it by that point.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everywhere, but particularly Russia, Scotland, Scandinavia (especially the fjords) and the mountainous areas of the US. I like cold climates!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got two fantasy holidays, both of them boat-related.
The first (and this might even be do-able one day) is to hire a Norfolk wherry for a holiday on the Norfolk Broads, with a copy of Coot Club and The Big Six by Arthur Ransome to keep me company. There is a firm that hires out wherries for holidays - though I'd have to get someone along who knew how to sail.
And when I was in Turkey, I visited Bodrum, which has the most wonderful harbour full of sailing ships of all sizes. Many of them are built nearby, in the traditional style. They're called gulets. I would love to hire one of those for a swashbuckling cruise around the Greek islands.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to go on a tea tour in India and then China You travel around the country, stopping at tea estates, see the process from start to stop. I want to watch the monkeys pick Gold Monkey Oolong in China, smoke Lapsang Souchong, See the mists in Assam, put on English accents in Darjeeling. I want to drink jade pearls, tipple hairy crabs, and romp in valleys reeking of jasmine. I want to sing sing sing of tea while dancing in starlight and rain. Who's with me?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add a side trip to Sri Lanka to that tea tour, and you might convince me.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I don't think cruise ships are my thing (I'd probably start pushing people overboard around day 2), but a total eclipse?! I'm officially jealous now.

I've just been looking on the company facebook page with a series of photos from the far east. I might end up feeling the same - all relentlessly smiling people, very few shots of anything other than relentlessly smiling people (OK, the plaque from the peace memorial at Nagasaki was in there.) but at least they weren't all togged up in fancy dress for dinner. There were some funny shots of lifeboat drill with the flash reflected off the hi-vis parts of the jackets, and one underexposed shot of people looking at the eclipse - I assume. The sequence needed weeding. I booked an inside single cabin, assuming I wouldn't spend much time there, but I think I might just end up regarding it as a monastic cell. It looked like the sort of church I don't go to.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been living mine since 1997 here in Kerala but really fancy popping over to Siem Reap in Cambodia sometime to see Angkor Wat the largest temple complex in the world. A friend is going there early in 2014 but I don't think I can join her, which is very sad! [Waterworks]

[ 12. June 2013, 11:41: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My other fantasy holiday is to go to Iceland. I want to see bubbly mud, volcanos and the Aurora Borealis. I just need to get over my fear of flying first.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dream holiday:

Solo Kayaking in the Finnish lakeland for a whole long summer, just me and my boat, camping wild on little skerries, enjoying the freedom and the silence.

- (I used to sample this on long weekends back in the years when I lived in Helsinki, but I'd love to make a really long holiday of it)

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
My other fantasy holiday is to go to Iceland. I want to see bubbly mud, volcanos and the Aurora Borealis. I just need to get over my fear of flying first.

Or you could take a boat.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My chief disappointment about the eclipse trip is that it isn't one of those that included Iceland. Have to do that separately.
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Or you could take a boat.
Aaah I won't mention my other fear - boats. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living as we do on one edge of the Mediterranean Mr L and I have talked about how interesting it would be to do a trip of a complete circumnavigation of the Med through the countries which surround it. Lots of interesting places to visit on the way but unfortunately in current circumstances some of them may not be very safe for traveling. [Frown]
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, in an ideal world I'd do that too.

(My ideal world would be one where there weren't currently any wars and single women travellers were treated with courtesy and respect wherever they went.)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, a me too for Iceland and the Northern Lights.

I had a plan years ago to go round England on public transport and go to one place in each county that I hadn't been to. In the end it was too much for my then finances and would have taken too much time to complete the tour in one go. Maybe one day.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Aaah I won't mention my other fear - boats. [Hot and Hormonal]

How are you on tunnels? You might still be able to get off this island by Eurostar and then the whole of Europe is open to you. You might not get all three of bubbly mud, volcanoes and the Aurora Borealis in the one locale, but Scandinavia might still have something to offer you.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:

Granted, I am not a doctor, or even a pharmacologist. That said, this might be a time for better living through drugs. My brother, who used to be a white knuckle flyer, now gets all the way across the Pacific to visit his mother in law in South Korea courtesy of powerful anti-anxiety meds. Have you given that any consideration? Iceland from the UK takes, what, three hours? You'd probably still be feeling nice and loosey-goosey by the time you were at your hotel. For a dream vacation, I think you can do it.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You guys are selling me on Iceland. I have to say, I couldn't stop looking at it last time I flew over it. So much.... white.

[ 12. June 2013, 21:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:

Granted, I am not a doctor, or even a pharmacologist. That said, this might be a time for better living through drugs. My brother, who used to be a white knuckle flyer, now gets all the way across the Pacific to visit his mother in law in South Korea courtesy of powerful anti-anxiety meds. Have you given that any consideration? Iceland from the UK takes, what, three hours? You'd probably still be feeling nice and loosey-goosey by the time you were at your hotel. For a dream vacation, I think you can do it.
I use powerful anti-anxiety drugs to leave the house, let alone fly [Biased]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Living as we do on one edge of the Mediterranean Mr L and I have talked about how interesting it would be to do a trip of a complete circumnavigation of the Med through the countries which surround it. Lots of interesting places to visit on the way but unfortunately in current circumstances some of them may not be very safe for traveling. [Frown]

Alas the Med. has always been like this. I suppose the best period was in the early seventies when it was just possible to visit every country, though Libya and Syria were difficult.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr B and I go on a great holiday in about a month - a cruise to Noumea and other islands and then a flight to Tahiti, specifically a bungalow over the water in Bora Bora. It is a celebration of retirement from work and a chance to escape Winter. Can't wait! [Yipee]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Alas the Med. has always been like this. I suppose the best period was in the early seventies when it was just possible to visit every country, though Libya and Syria were difficult.

Libya was pretty much out, but I went to Damascus then. You could get round most of the Med in those days - except for the Eastern Bloc, of course, and anything behind the Iron Curtain.
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr C was 60 last weekend and to celebrate I took him on his fantasy holiday.

We went to the Monaco Grand Prix. We stayed in Nice and went racing on the Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. We had seats in grandstand B for the grand prix which is opposite the Casino.

We explored Nice on the Friday including a visit to the Marc Chagall museum.

Photos here

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Libya was pretty much out, but I went to Damascus then. You could get round most of the Med in those days - except for the Eastern Bloc, of course, and anything behind the Iron Curtain.
Oops! I forgot about Albania, but everyone except Norman Wisdom fans did. Yugoslavia was a bit odd. You could (IIRC) get to a few places, like Dubrovnik and Split but other places were more difficult.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sioni Sais: You could (IIRC) get to a few places, like Dubrovnik and Split but other places were more difficult.
I've been to Bled during the Iron Curtain days, it wasn't very difficult to get there.

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Sioni Sais: You could (IIRC) get to a few places, like Dubrovnik and Split but other places were more difficult.
I've been to Bled during the Iron Curtain days, it wasn't very difficult to get there.
I never went in 'Iron Curtain' days, but went to Dubrovnik last year. I rather liked it, but it was a bit hot! (late July/early Aug.)

We're going a bit farther down the coast this year, to Budva in Montenegro (Crna Gora).

If I ever get around to watching 'Game of Thrones' (reading 2nd book at the moment [Smile] ) I understand that quite a bit was filmed in and around Dubrovnik.

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
...Fly into Heathrow, lease a car, and drive clockwise around the isle of Britain (near the coast where possible) with excursions farther inland....

Don't try to drive in Bristol: I did and it was no fun! Don't drive in London either: go by Underground or black cab. Why not ake a train to Cornwall from London and start your journey by car from there? We did, a few years ago and with my good wife navigating, I stayed out of trouble!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dream holiday would be to go to every Formula One race, have a pit pass, stay at the finest hotels and go to parties with journalist credentials.

It's never going to happen but I can dream, can't I?

In actuality, the only F1 race I ever went to was Long Beach in 1975: I bribed a rent-a-cop to stand at the hairpin curve.

Realistically, we may go to the USGP this year or next: too early to say. We would have free lodging courtesy of my sister and her family who live near by.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016