homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jesus in Space! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jesus in Space!
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Contrary to what my cheesy title may have led you to believe, this thread is not about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (and no offense is meant to it either!). Rather, it is about the implications of the possible existence of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe on the Christian faith. I am sure this has been discussed on the Ship before, but I hope it is ok to start a fresh thread on it.

Assume that intelligent life does exist in one or more other places in the universe. Also assume a generally Christian point of view as the starting point for these questions.

1. If this intelligent life is as sentient, self-aware, and possessing of free will as human beings are, do members of the species have immortal souls like humans do?
2. If 1. is true, do the extraterrestrials need salvation like humans do? What if they do not have bodies (perhaps they are like sentient computer programs) and what if dying is not a necessary part of their existence? If they are bodiless and immortal, how would they be different from angels? What does salvation mean for a bodiless immortal being?
3. If they have souls and need salvation, is it possible that the second Person of the Trinity incarnated on their worlds too or is more than one incarnation impossible?
4. If there was only one incarnation (Christ here on Earth) and the aliens have souls and need salvation, would they have to believe the same things that humans need to believe in order to be saved? How could the story of Adam and Eve and the Fall be seen as applying to them?
5. If there is more than one Incarnation, did all of them have to occur at the same time in history? Could more incarnations have yet to occur? Could any intelligent being choose to believe in any of the incarnations as its savior and still be saved, especially after the discovery of other worlds with their own Incarnations of the Second Person of the Trinity?
6. What would it mean if there was more than one Incarnation but the teachings, practices, and Scriptures of the disciples on different worlds differed without contradicting each other outright? Would conversion to another world's faith be morally permissible?
7. If water, bread, or wine/grape juice were toxic to aliens, would they still need to participate in baptism or the Eucharist/communion? What if they are beings of information or light? What would sacraments mean for them?

The list of questions could go on and on. What do you think the answers are to some of these questions, and what other questions would you ask?

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This came up in a short story I read years ago, Golden Age era. A little kid begins "witnessing" to a Venusian or something, who just kind of squirms and nods politely the way you do when someone witnesses to you. The mother gently explains that this person comes from another planet, and he's never heard of Jesus, and Jesus probably has enough problems dealing with one planet without having to take on Venus as well.
Weird as it may sound, I thought it was handled, erm, realistically. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time this discussion comes up, I can't resist posting this one.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

"Don't go to Earth. Bunch of dicks down there."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the way C S Lewis talks about alien worlds being unfallen (in his scifi stories), and Earth's unique in requiring a Saviour.

[ 24. April 2013, 23:08: Message edited by: loggats ]

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm boring, but I suspect we'd have to ask them (if God let us get anywhere near them in the first place!). Chances are good that God has an individual way with every species, just as he seems to have with every human soul, and what he does with them could have tons of meaning to them and be completely imcomprehensible to us. Though it would be fun to listen. (and introduce some of them to the Eccles board) [Two face]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me try to give a more serious answer as well:

1. If this intelligent life is as sentient, self-aware, and possessing of free will as human beings are, do members of the species have immortal souls like humans do?
I don't really believe in a division of body and soul, as postulated in Greek philosophy.

2. If 1. is true, do the extraterrestrials need salvation like humans do? What if they do not have bodies (perhaps they are like sentient computer programs) and what if dying is not a necessary part of their existence?
It depends on what you mean by 'salvation'. In the way I try to live my faith, salvation probably something like: being saved from my egoism and entering something bigger.

If they are bodiless and immortal, how would they be different from angels?
I'm not sure if I believe in angels. If anything, they're not a very important part of my faith.

What does salvation mean for a bodiless immortal being?
I don't know. I guess you'd have to ask them.

3. If they have souls and need salvation, is it possible that the second Person of the Trinity incarnated on their worlds too or is more than one incarnation impossible?
For the second (or indeed any) Person of the Trinity, anything is possible.

4. If there was only one incarnation (Christ here on Earth) and the aliens have souls and need salvation, would they have to believe the same things that humans need to believe in order to be saved?
Within the way I live my faith, I don't think you have to believe in something in order to be saved.

How could the story of Adam and Eve and the Fall be seen as applying to them?
I doubt if it would apply to them very much. It is a story about mankind (as expressed in the name Adam).

5. If there is more than one Incarnation, did all of them have to occur at the same time in history? Could more incarnations have yet to occur? Could any intelligent being choose to believe in any of the incarnations as its savior and still be saved, especially after the discovery of other worlds with their own Incarnations of the Second Person of the Trinity?
If salvation means anything to them then yes, I believe they can all be saved, independent of the time or number of Incarnations.

6. What would it mean if there was more than one Incarnation but the teachings, practices, and Scriptures of the disciples on different worlds differed without contradicting each other outright? Would conversion to another world's faith be morally permissible?
Yes, it would be morally permissible. As would conversion to another religion on Earth.

7. If water, bread, or wine/grape juice were toxic to aliens, would they still need to participate in baptism or the Eucharist/communion?
No, I wouldn't want to kill them.

What if they are beings of information or light? What would sacraments mean for them?
Again, I think you would have to ask them.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this topic although hypothetical and raised before is very important because it touches on the exceptionalism of the human species and the planet Earth that is central to many varieties of Christianity. If aliens belong in the same category as humans regarding souls and salvation, why not any other animals or other life forms on Earth? Or are humans supposed to subdue the entire cosmos including the aliens under our stewardship? If aliens exist, a traditional Christian reading of the Bible would make humans seem like the Hebrews in the Old Testament. Thoughts?
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
how do we know the aliens aren't the Israelites?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because they're not green with big bug like eyes.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:

If they are sapient, yes, otherwise, no. I guess that is sort of implied here by calling them "intelligent" and assigning them "free will as humans possess". But chimpanzees, dolphins, etc. can be considered intelligent and self-directed to a degree, and are definitely sentient and self-aware to a considerable extent. That however does not mean that they have an immortal soul. Likewise there could be extraterrestrial animal life that is fairly high up the cognitive ladder, yet still perish entirely with death as terrestrial animals do.

quote:
2. If 1. is true, do the extraterrestrials need salvation like humans do? What if they do not have bodies (perhaps they are like sentient computer programs) and what if dying is not a necessary part of their existence? If they are bodiless and immortal, how would they be different from angels? What does salvation mean for a bodiless immortal being?

This is a confused question. All incorporeal sapient creatures are angels (or demons, which is just to say evil angels). In the same sense that elephants, humans, rabbits etc. are all mammals. Furthermore, there is no particular reason why we would find angels in alien worlds rather than on our doorstep, other than by the choice of those angels. Incorporeal beings do not have a location in the same sense as corporeal beings. The only way we can talk of an angel being in a particular place is by saying that that angel is applying its powers to that place. Next he could apply those powers at the other end of the universe for all we know. No physical limit applies to a non-physical being. Salvation means being saved from harm, in our case, eternal damnation. Whether an angel can be saved from eternal damnation is actually a very deep question about their mode of cognition and the interplay of that with Divine action throughout time. Roughly put, it would require God to reveal something to the demon that goes beyond the demon's natural powers to know. Because angels do not rely on input from sense organs and the rational processing involving a brain. The best analogy we can have for their mode of thinking is instantaneous and comprehensive intuition within their natural limits. They have a complete "one shot mind", so if God wants them to snap out of a decision for evil, He would have to externally and supernaturally provide them with another shot. (Incidentally, I for once disagree with Aquinas here insofar as I see this as a possibility.)

quote:

I see no principle reason why additional alien incarnations would be impossible. Whether that would be fitting is rather the question. After all, we can also ask why God is not multiply incarnating into various human beings. That too is certainly possible in principle. Yet we do not believe that it is the case. Perhaps we can put it this way: It is fitting that all of mankind is united in the salvation brought by one God-man. If there are aliens "like us" out there, then would it be more fitting that each alien race is among themselves by the salvation brought by one incarnation each, or that all sapient corporeal beings of the universe are united by only one incarnation for all? I think the latter is the better extrapolation from what we know. There may be advantages to having a specific incarnation for say the British of the Victorian age, but God clearly considers it more fitting that they be saved through a 1stC Palestine Jew. Likewise we can assume that there would be advantages to saving each alien race according to its own devices, but that God sees more fitting to bring them all together in one salvation. If so, then we know that it would still be the 1stC Palestine human Jew to whom all sapient beings must turn for their salvation.

quote:
4. If there was only one incarnation (Christ here on Earth) and the aliens have souls and need salvation, would they have to believe the same things that humans need to believe in order to be saved? How could the story of Adam and Eve and the Fall be seen as applying to them?

I do not quite see the issue you are having there. Of course, an alien corporeal sapient creature may have some difficulty understanding the specific physical and physiological circumstances of this story. But in the end, I think any corporeal creature can gain an understanding of how another corporeal creature is born, lives, eats, breeds and dies. Furthermore, any sapient creature can understand how another sapient creature perceives, understands, decides and acts. That should be sufficient to translate both the narrative and its meaning to any alien mind, given sufficient effort. Furthermore, as far as I can see there's nothing in Christian dogma that is inseparable from the human instantiation of "rational animal", which is not simply historical. So an alien would have to acknowledge the human Christ as God and deal with human matters as far as that piece of human history goes. But for example the truth of the Trinity is not "human" in that sense (other than perhaps for our naming scheme).

quote:

Again, there is no principle reason why incarnations should not happen at multiple times, in the past, present and future. Whether that is fitting remains the question. That this would be a rather confusing situation is one reason why multiple incarnations probably are not fitting. If there are however multiple incarnations, then two things follow: we all must adore all of them as God, but we also all must worship the one given to our race first and foremost. Failing to do so would be a rejection of God in general in the former case, and in the particular in the latter case.

quote:

Where doctrines, practices and scriptures operate at an essentially abstract level (as in statements about the Trinity), it strictly would be our religious duty to collate all the available information across the universe into a coherent whole. Where they operate at an essentially particular level it would be a bit whimsical or perhaps even foolish to adopt them across alien races. If for example the cross has absolutely no meaning as instrument of torture and death to the well-armoured intelligent crabs of Vega, then for them to put a cross into their living tunnels is more a sign of appreciation of human beings than of God. Perhaps it could be a symbol for their belief in the universality of faith. But if they therefore throw out the explosive device as symbol of what was used to kill their own incarnation, then this becomes foolish.

quote:
7. If water, bread, or wine/grape juice were toxic to aliens, would they still need to participate in baptism or the Eucharist/communion? What if they are beings of information or light? What would sacraments mean for them?

It would be up to God to reveal to us, or the aliens, by what means we may replace those incompatible sacraments. Humans or aliens cannot "make" new sacraments, Divine intervention is required. Until there is Divine revelation on this point, the aliens would have to make do with baptism/communion by desire. I'm not sure what "beings of information" are supposed to be. Unless you mean the incorporeal angels again, for whom it would not be fitting by nature to use corporeal channels of grace. And beings made of light would face the obvious problem that their body would disperse at the speed of light without any possibility of casual communication between its parts - i.e., they would be totally dismembered and die instantaneously.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Perhaps we can put it this way: It is fitting that all of mankind is united in the salvation brought by one God-man. If there are aliens "like us" out there, then would it be more fitting that each alien race is among themselves by the salvation brought by one incarnation each, or that all sapient corporeal beings of the universe are united by only one incarnation for all? I think the latter is the better extrapolation from what we know.

I don't knwo about more fitting, but it certainly better suits humanity's overweening self-importance.

[ 25. April 2013, 13:07: Message edited by: Pre-cambrian ]

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me that much would depend on whether they sin, whether they share the experience of Paul in doing the evil that their better self doesn't want to do.

They may Yoda-like not try but either do or not-do, in which case human ideas of crime, punishment, repentance, salvation etc may mean nothing to them.

They may have advanced beyond us in moral philosophy, with not only some moral principles that correlate to ours but some additional ones that do not. In which case they may have nothing to learn from the words of Jesus, and much to add to Christian thought.

Unless there are valid arguments from the mere facts of sentience etc to what they might be like, anything we speculate is llikely to say more about our own individual prejudices than about how aliens would relate to God.

Which may make the discussion illuminating in an unintended way.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Assume that intelligent life does exist in one or more other places in the universe. Also assume a generally Christian point of view as the starting point for these questions.

Those would be my assumptions too.

My denomination, the New Church, has a book devoted to the questions you ask. It asserts that there are people like us throughout the universe, and that they all worship the same God that we do.

Although God appears on all planets He is not generally incarnated on them. The term "salvation" only applies if the planet's population has "fallen."

As is the case on our planet, when people on other planets die they wake up in the spiritual world, and live forever in heaven as angels. In any case that is what my church teaches.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some more detailed responses, based on the book: "Earths in the Universe" or "Worlds in Space" by Emanuel Swedenborg, 1758.
quote:

Yes. They are human.
quote:

They have bodies just as we do, and they die and pass into the spiritual world just as we do. The New Church teaches that when people die and go to heaven they become angels, and this is the case on all inhabited planets.

As to what salvation means, the same rules apply everywhere in the universe. The point is to involve everyone and everything in a vast system of reciprocal uses, the idea being that love and service to others generates happiness. "Salvation" is about restoring the system when it has broken down. So this will be different on all inhabited planets.
quote:

The Second Person of the Trinity is simply God as we are able to see and comprehend Him. Although there has only been one physical incarnation on our planet, God has appeared many times, as is recorded in Scripture. God appears this way on all planets.
quote:

They would not have any story of Adam and Eve, unless their population "fell" in the same way that ours did. Still, the same beliefs about right and wrong apply universally - the Ten Commandments, loving God and the neighbor, etc.
quote:

There is only one God. They worship the same one we do.
quote:

There are the same beliefs everywhere in the universe.
quote:

The system that makes baptism and communion holy means that there is an equivalent on every planet. The reason is that the basic division between spiritual substance and physical substance applies everywhere in the physical universe, and nothing physical exists without the spiritual equivalent that is its basis.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a new theological concept (if a bit unseasonal)

quote:
Who can tell how many crosses,
Still to come or long ago,
Crucify the king of heaven ?
Holy is the name I know.
Every Star Shall Sing a Carol (traditiona?l)

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
The Midge: Every Star Shall Sing a Carol (traditiona?l)
That's interesting, does anyone know the origin of this song? It can't be that old/traditional if it speaks of aliens.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
I like the way C S Lewis talks about alien worlds being unfallen (in his scifi stories), and Earth's unique in requiring a Saviour.

Yes, well of course, Lewis wrote his adult sci-fi and the Narnia books to answer questions like the ones raised in the OP. So I'm not even going to try - not because I agree with all Lewis's ideas (I don't) - but because I think he mined just about all the fun you can get out of this vein of thought. Greedy so-and-so.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
That's interesting, does anyone know the origin of this song? It can't be that old/traditional if it speaks of aliens.
Not that old. It appears to have been written by Sydney Carter, who died in 2004.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Not that old. It appears to have been written by Sydney Carter, who died in 2004.
hence the ?
Web site did not credit Sydney (RIP). No host to BBQ them.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really ought to contribute to this...

quote:

Yes, with caveats on the use of the world soul, which is less Hebrew, and more Greek.
quote:
If they have fallen, then yes. All organic life will eventually die, so no matter how long lived they are, they will not be immortal. Those who exist as a matrix of thought would be effectively immortal, but still might die through unnatural processes. My fictional AI, Michael, is believed to be ensouled by the Catholic church, but isn't convinced itself.
quote:
It is possible. Given a creator God and the potential impossibility of interstellar travel, it would seem unnecessarily harsh to give the universe a saviour and then deny all but a tiny fraction of them the knowledge of salvation.
quote:
Yes. If they need salvation, presumably, the Fall applied to them as much as it did us, and the resurrection will apply to them too.
quote:
No, yes, and yes. But perforce if I believe that other incarnations were genuine, over and above the one I know about and is applicable to me, then I would believe in the others as well as, not instead of.
quote:
Yes, but why would you do it if they were simply different expressions of the same faith? We have enough of those on Earth already, and you're assuming that an alien expression of the One True Faith™ would be both comprehensible and practicable to humans.
quote:
Incorporeal beings would have no way of interacting with physical sacraments, and they would therefore mean nothing. And I fail to see why a good God would want to poison His flock. If the sacraments were arsenic and hemlock, would we eat and drink?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shhhhhh! Don't let on, those of you who are aliens.

But in truth, we already know when we're scheduled to meet aliens, It's going to happen on 04 April 2063 when the Vulcans show up. Hopefully those of you young enough, who also survive WWIII will be around for the event.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ray Bradbury played with some of this in "The Martian Chronicles".

Mary Doria Russell (?) wove quite a tale about human missionaries going to a far planet--"The Sparrow", and the sequel "Children of God". They have some harrowing sections, though. If you're inclined to read only one, try the sequel.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Shhhhhh! Don't let on, those of you who are aliens.

Mind who you're shushing, sonny.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Ray Bradbury played with some of this in "The Martian Chronicles".

Mary Doria Russell (?) wove quite a tale about human missionaries going to a far planet--"The Sparrow", and the sequel "Children of God". They have some harrowing sections, though. If you're inclined to read only one, try the sequel.

I actually thought the second one was a major insult to the Catholic priest in that it rather betrayed his character making him do what he would never have done. I was very sorry I read it after reading such an excellent book as the first one was. Mind, reading The Sparrow* you may learn as much about humanity as you do religious (or not) aliens, but either way I strongly recommend it.

*And yes, a hard book emotionally in places. You are warned.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP offers an interesting thought experiment, but it's purely speculative. It's worth remembering that on the basis of all the evidence we have to date that it's just us here!

As a rule we are mightily impressed by size. The universe is mind bogglingly big, ergo we cannot possibly be alone. In fact there is no need for that to be the case at all, and those who argue for it are disingenuous in their refusal/unwillingness to acknowledge that fact.

The universe 'appears' big to us, but a. size is irrelevant to the assessment of significance, and b. from another perspective the 'universe' as we perceive it may well be nothing more than a very minor event in a greater reality.

For all we know this 'universe' was indeed created entirely with the purpose of offering 'us' a protected anteroom where we can explore and choose and live, and not be confronted with the full glory of 'God', but be able to encounter 'God' in a 'safe' kind of space.

As for 'aliens'; well until I know better I'm another one who thinks that CS Lewis got to grips with it in a fairly helpful theological manner.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
size is irrelevant to the assessment of significance

Actually no.

Imagine for a moment, you're doing a field study of plant species, collecting and labelling all the different types within a square 1m on each side. How many times are you going to have to do this in order to get a reliable sample of that ecosystem? If you fail to get a tree within your first sample, do you conclude there are no trees at all, ever?

Perhaps you do. But with our sample size of 1 planet (out of 8, plus many moons) around 1 star, against 200,000,000,000 stars, I'm going to suggest that you need to deploy a better argument than 'size is irrelevant'... At least mention the Fermi paradox!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you have done two samples we can estimate that. Actually it is technically infinity, but we can certainly make a guess at getting 90% of the species.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you have done two samples we can estimate that. Actually it is technically infinity, but we can certainly make a guess at getting 90% of the species. Well actually you need some overlap of species but once that is achieved then the mathematics works.

Biologist do it all the time here on Earth, how otherwise do you think they get their estimates for things such as the number of invertebrate species there are in the Amazon rainforest.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Biologist do it all the time here on Earth, how otherwise do you think they get their estimates for things such as the number of invertebrate species there are in the Amazon rainforest.

I know how they want me to think they arrive at their estimates. Which is a different matter entirely.

However, we know of one planet which has the conditions we believe are compatible with life (stable star, liquid water, big enough magnetic field to retain an atmosphere) and it has life. The probability that there are no other planets similar to Earth in the galaxy is pretty much zero. Whether that translates into other sentient beings is a matter for debate, but it seems to me that the universe is fruitful and wants to multiply. Life on other planets is almost a certainty.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For all we know this 'universe' was indeed created entirely with the purpose of offering 'us' a protected anteroom where we can explore and choose and live, and not be confronted with the full glory of 'God', but be able to encounter 'God' in a 'safe' kind of space.

If this is God's idea of safe [Eek!] , she clearly needs a jug of hot cocoa, a bag of animal crackers, and a long nap.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

I know how they want me to think they arrive at their estimates. Which is a different matter entirely.

However, we know of one planet which has the conditions we believe are compatible with life (stable star, liquid water, big enough magnetic field to retain an atmosphere) and it has life. The probability that there are no other planets similar to Earth in the galaxy is pretty much zero. Whether that translates into other sentient beings is a matter for debate, but it seems to me that the universe is fruitful and wants to multiply. Life on other planets is almost a certainty.

Possible? Yes. Probable? From what I can gather not even groups such as SETI would go that far.

The size of the universe etc. the kind of arguments used to claim "certainty" are essentially non sequiturs.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
quote:

If this is God's idea of safe [Eek!] , she clearly needs a jug of hot cocoa, a bag of animal crackers, and a long nap.
Safety is a relative concept. It is about assessing risk. Staying in bed all day to avoid risk is not a viable option as the statistics for bed related accidents testify. They are right up there for death by Autoerotic Asphyxiation. [Eek!] or by being hit by a falling icicle.

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Doc Tor, actually 'Yes' size is irrelevant, although I will grant you your point at a purely statistical level, but hopefully it was reasonably clear from the rest of my point that I was not talking on that level.

To put it another way: put a baby beside Mt. Everest. On the basis of empirical measurement Everest is clearly the biggest, but is it the most significant of the two? Hopefully it's clear that the baby is by far the more significant. Likewise the 'size' of the universe is not necessarily of any great significance, except to those who are awed by 'size'.

Until we have actual empirical evidence of the existence of 'aliens' we have to go with what we've got, which is effectively 'nothing'. And, it may be that given the scale of the universe that even if 'aliens' do exist that they effectively do not as far as we will ever be concerned because the distances involved are simply too huge to overcome in any meaningful way, i.e. we are effectively 'alone'.

Whatever the case, to my mind at least, it makes no difference at all to the reality of 'God' and the significance of our relationship with 'God' and each other. Love is love, and the significance of love remains regardless of whether someone else is living across the river, over the sea, on another planet, or in another galaxy.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Until we have actual empirical evidence of the existence of 'aliens' we have to go with what we've got, which is effectively 'nothing'.

No, what we have is a sample of 1, and a result of 1 out of 1. We could be a unique little snowflake, but Creation itself would have to conspire against itself to stop all but one of the 200,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy having life orbiting it.

To my mind, that'd be a worse place to live than a universe teeming with life.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Doc Tor, whether there are 2, 20, 200,000,000,000, or 2x10^24 tells us nothing at all unless we know not only the 'how' but also the 'why' of our present existence. As things stand we think we know something about the 'how' (which may yet prove to be very little, or even a misunderstanding), and are still pretty clueless on the 'why'.

As I said previously, even if the universe is 'teaming' with life the sheer scale of the universe may effectively mean we are as good as being alone in the universe, so the whole matter becomes academic anyway.

As it stands we stand on our ball of rock and water, and what we do here and now, and why we do it, is all that really matters. What others may do somewhere else beyond this solar system will almost certainly (until we have information to the contrary) have no bearing on your life, mine, or anybody else who has ever lived here (and, the way things are going, will ever live here).

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Speak for yourself, sweetie. Without a vision, the people perish.

I'm off to immanentise the eschaton. Who's with me?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Seems to me we're talking at cross purposes.

All I'm saying is that unless we know what's actually going on we can't make any credible judgement of the odds.

When it comes to knowing what's going on with what we call the 'universe' we can't say with any real credibility that we 'know what's going on', so any judgement we make of the odds of aliens, etc. is pure speculation, based on assumptions which may or may not turn out to be soundly based. And which ever it is, what we think we know now is definitely only a part of the whole story, and may turn out to be quite a small part, so we best keep our options open and be prepared for all sorts of unexpected possibilities.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
quote:
quote:

Safety is a relative concept. It is about assessing risk. Staying in bed all day to avoid risk is not a viable option... (snip)
Actually, I was trying to say that if God thinks this world is a safe place, She's obviously tired, cranky, and not thinking clearly. My solution was comfort food and a long nap--after which She just might be a little more sane!

[Eek!] [Biased]

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.An interesting verse... that just might be relevant to this discussion!

At least - I have always tended to interpret it that way.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
TonyK: .An interesting verse... that just might be relevant to this discussion!

At least - I have always tended to interpret it that way.

It's interesting, but I always thought that He was referring to non-Jews that would be following Him?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure he meant the Gentiles. Almost a pity, as I'd love to have it be a prophecy of alien believers. But then, I'm a Gentile, so I'm rather glad of the usual interpretation...

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The probability that there are no other planets similar to Earth in the galaxy is pretty much zero. Whether that translates into other sentient beings is a matter for debate, but it seems to me that the universe is fruitful and wants to multiply. Life on other planets is almost a certainty.

Possible? Yes. Probable? From what I can gather not even groups such as SETI would go that far.

Oh yes they would. I think most scientists who have thought much about the subject woudl go precisely that far.

Its the wonderfully named "assumption of mediocrity". Basically if you only have one sample of something, only one observation, its safest to assume that its in the middle of the range of variation of whatever it is.

If you had only ever seen one rhinoceros in your life, its safest to assume that its a normal rhinoceros, and that the other ones that you haven;t seen are on the whole rather like it. It might in fact have been the biggest rhinocerous in existence - but as ther are thousands of rhinoceroses the chance of that is small, so you'd bet against it. Maybe its the smellest rhinoceros? You can't know that either, but its a safe guess that it isn't. Somwhere between the two. Perhaps its the only rhino in the world with four horns? Who can tell? But statistically its more probable that thee one youve seen is in many ways typical of the ones you haven;t seen. Just more probably, not certain, and just in many ways, not in all ways (after all every mammal is unique in some ways), but its worth a bet. That's what statistics does for science, it can't tell us when we are right, but it does let us estimate how likely we are to be wrong,. which is almost as useful (and has the added benefit of being possible)

Same goes for planets. There are probably lots ond lots of vaguely earthlike planets in the universe. I mean lots and lots and lots. The only one we actually know abotu is full of all sorts of living things. So it is quite likely that the others are too. If they weren't we woudl have to assume there was something Very Weird Indeed about this planet to put all that life here. And until we have some other similar planets to compare it with, we have no reason to make that assumption. If you want to claim that it is unlikely that there is life on other earthlike planets you need to suggest a reason for that.

So the *safe* assumption, the intellectually conservative one, the one that doesn't involve any great leap of the imagination, or invoke any unguessed-at science or strange cosmological theories, is that where there are earthlike planets in a part fof the universe taht has been stable for some hundreds of milliosn of years or more there is likely to be life. (The working definition of "earthlike" in this case being "more like Earth than either Mars or Venus are but we don't know quite how muich more)

Now the True Believer in alien life will go a lot further that that. They will imagine all sorts of weird and wonderful life in environments very unlike Earth. That't the science -fictional end of things.

But the idea that there is probably life on Earthlike planets isn't that kind of leaap of faith or imagination. All it needs is the same kind of common-sense statistical thinking that bookies use to set the odds on race, or insures use to decide how big your premiums are.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Although I basically go along with that reasoning, the fact remains that at the moment we have no real idea whether the premise actually pertains to the issue of whether there is actually not just life but sentient life out there.

Based on our experience here, and extrapolating, as you have done, we may want to say 'Yes, of course there is!' But in fact we don't know on what basis life actually forms, let alone the probability of anything like ourselves developing within a million or so years of our own presence, within our galaxy let alone anywhere else, or what the chances are of surviving for any significant period of time beyond where we are now.

So many unknowns and imponderables

At the moment I'd say we still really don't know if we're 'alone' or not, but it's fun trying to find out.

stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

Could someone please summarize what CS Lewis conjectured about aliens, souls, salvation and Christianity in his science fiction novels?
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Could someone please summarize what CS Lewis conjectured about aliens, souls, salvation and Christianity in his science fiction novels?

0) that irrational animals exist, both on alien worlds and in the heavens between them ("airish beasts"); a) that many rational alien species exist, all of them in a creaturely relationship and responsibility to tge triune God, maker of all, just as we do; b) consequently they are our equals before God as rational moral creatures, though we differ in the natural powers and gifts God has assigned each species (including the angels) and we also may differ in whether we are fallen or not; c) that God has his own way with each world, and we ought not to assume that because he did things one way (eg the incarnation) with us, that he will repeat this exact pattern with others; d) that all worlds in need of redemption will be redeemed; e) that members of one species may play a critical role in either the fall or the salvation of another species, and this is to be expected when we are ultimately all one in Maleldil (trans. All united in the body of Christ); f) that the human incarnation has a huge impact on other species, both directly and as Christ acts through the human members of his body; g) that there's no reason to be arrogant about the incarnation happening in our species, since if anything that's a consequence of our weakness and shame, even though it is also become now our glory; h) that we may hope for practical help and rescue from our alien brothers on the day when evil and death are destroyed forever.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Its the wonderfully named "assumption of mediocrity". Basically if you only have one sample of something, only one observation, its safest to assume that its in the middle of the range of variation of whatever it is.

Does it make a difference that the sample has to be positive in order for us to have a sample in the first place? If there were no life on earth we wouldn't be here to take it as a negative sample.
Also, it's not quite true that we have only one sample: the sample lasts a few billion years and intelligent life is only present for a tiny amount of that.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Does it make a difference that the sample has to be positive in order for us to have a sample in the first place? If there were no life on earth we wouldn't be here to take it as a negative sample.
Also, it's not quite true that we have only one sample: the sample lasts a few billion years and intelligent life is only present for a tiny amount of that.

This is true (barring of course the saurian civilisation wiped out by by the Chicxulub impactor). But we've had life on Earth from very early on - a billion years after formation. If the conditions are right, life will out.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think most scientists who have thought much about the subject woudl go precisely that far.

A majority of scientists guesstimating one way, based on N=1 data, a priori assumptions, and questionable philosophical reasoning, is not particularly authoritative.

quote:

Sure, that is a reasonable assumption (not more). But you are silent about a prior assumption: that there even is more than one sample. A biologist meeting a rhinoceros can reasonably make that assumption. Because in most other animals he has encountered, say a sparrow, experience suggests that there are many more. Furthermore, his knowledge of the workings of nature suggests that that rhinoceros didn't crystallize out of thin air, but was born of a male and female pair of rhinoceroses, who likely had the capacity to produce more offspring. Etc. (The biologist could be wrong, for example, if he had stumbled upon the last dodo.)

At this point in time we do not know however what is needed to create life from non-living matter (in a natural sense). We have determined a range of conditions that appear to be necessary for life like ours (carbon-based, requiring water) to flourish. And recent data suggests that likely there are other places in the universe that provide these conditions. But since we simply do not know whether our list of conditions is exhaustive, we have in fact no idea whether that is enough. There could be any number of conditions that are not being met among the (supposedly!) many "habitable" planets. For all we know, life started on earth because an incoming meteorite hit an underwater volcanic vent at the precise point when lightning struck there, and that just after Earth had captured an unusually large moon. For all we know, the chance of that happening ever again anywhere is essentially zilch. Unlike the biologist meeting the rhinoceros, we do not have good prior reason to assume that an N=1 encounter of a specific type suggests N>1 samples elsewhere. If we had already met many alien life form in our galaxy, then we could reason like the biologist and assume that the Andromeda galaxy, and indeed the entire universe, is teeming with life. As it is, we can say pretty much diddley-squat about that.

In fact, uncovering more and more conditions for the appearance of life can of course push the whole discussion the other way, statistically speaking. It is true that at the moment our estimates about the number of possible "habitable" planets are increasing. Perhaps one day we can make a firm estimate that there are 10^20 "candidate planets" for life in the universe. But perhaps the chances for a "necessary starter event" like I described above are 1 to 10^10. And perhaps that's only the first of a long series of more or less unlikely events, e.g., an activated batch of amino acids just happened to be trapped in a micro-hole in clay, leaving it protected long enough, at a 1 to 10^3 chance level. And we may very well find that based on our future understanding of the necessary chain of events to get from inanimate to animate matter, the total chance for this happening (a multiplication of all these odds) is estimated at about 1 to 10^21. And that would make the existence of at most one planet teeming with life most probable.

quote:
So the *safe* assumption, the intellectually conservative one, the one that doesn't involve any great leap of the imagination, or invoke any unguessed-at science or strange cosmological theories, is that where there are earthlike planets in a part fof the universe taht has been stable for some hundreds of milliosn of years or more there is likely to be life. (The working definition of "earthlike" in this case being "more like Earth than either Mars or Venus are but we don't know quite how muich more)

This is not true. It assumes without any supporting data or reasoning from natural law that a largely sufficient condition for life arising from inanimate matter is the existence of "Earth-like planets". We simply do not know this. The only way one can get a reasonable guess about the existence of life elsewhere based on our N=1 observation of life on Earth is by developing a well supported theory about how life develops from inanimate matter. Then we can have a shot at estimating the total odds for this happening, of which the existence of "Earth-like planets" certainly is only one factor. Basically, we need to get at least somewhat into the same situation as the biologist prior to encountering the rhinoceros, who is called a "biologist" precisely because he has a massive amount of prior knowledge about the sort of thing that a rhinoceros is. We do not have much knowledge about the sort of thing that the appearance of life is. There are no bio-genesis-ists that can judge this N=1 data with good reliability.

quote:
But the idea that there is probably life on Earthlike planets isn't that kind of leaap of faith or imagination. All it needs is the same kind of common-sense statistical thinking that bookies use to set the odds on race, or insures use to decide how big your premiums are.

Nope. No reasonable guess about the odds for alien life is available now, and neither will there be until we understand much better how life arises from inanimate matter. The (likely) existence of many habitable planets in the universe certainly raises the chances of alien life, but we have no idea whether from "perhaps" to "near certainty" or from "zilch" to "nada". All the excitement now is based on leaps of faith and imagination.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

Perhaps one day we can make a firm estimate that there are 10^20 "candidate planets" for life in the universe. But perhaps the chances for a "necessary starter event" like I described above are 1 to 10^10. And perhaps that's only the first of a long series of more or less unlikely events, e.g., an activated batch of amino acids just happened to be trapped in a micro-hole in clay, leaving it protected long enough, at a 1 to 10^3 chance level. And we may very well find that based on our future understanding of the necessary chain of events to get from inanimate to animate matter, the total chance for this happening (a multiplication of all these odds) is estimated at about 1 to 10^21. And that would make the existence of at most one planet teeming with life most probable.

Exactly. You are in fact agreeing with me about the facts. All yiou need to do is starft shaving with Occam's Razor.

Its a huge leap of faith to assume that the odds for the actually observed general conditions of life on Earth are 1 in 10^21 against. Hubristnc almost. "Look at me! I'm so special!" So its an intellectually safer bet to assume that things are more normal, until we have some evidence otherwise.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016