homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Single women treated as 'threat to church couples' (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Single women treated as 'threat to church couples'
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting article in today's Independent newspaper.

Single Christians feel "isolated, alone and lonely" within their churches, according to research from leading UK Christian dating website Christian Connection. More than a third of worshippers who were not married or in a relationship said they did not feel treated the same as those that were part of conventional families.

And what about the comment 'Women not in steady relationship treated as threats to couples'?

Any thoughts/ experiences to share?

[ 25. April 2013, 10:28: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's been my experience, in a range reaching from simply ignoring us to outright hostility. I've experienced this myself. and have observed it happening to others. It's a deeply intransigent form of misogyny.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a reflection of the way that churches are really, really bad at moving out of their comfort zones and engaging with folks who aren't PLU (People Like Us).

Ironic how an organisation whose founder was notorious for hanging out with people with non-standard lifestyles has become almost synonymous with social respectability and suspicion of anything deviating from a pre-conceived model of normality. The ideal church member should never have been the Kinks' Well Respected Man about Town Doing the Best Things so Conservatively, but he is.

[/rant]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
That's been my experience, in a range reaching from simply ignoring us to outright hostility. I've experienced this myself. and have observed it happening to others. It's a deeply intransigent form of misogyny.

It's a form of misogyny that is matched by an equal level of misandry - single men are also pushed to the margins in white middle class churches.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
It's a form of misogyny that is matched by an equal level of misandry - single men are also pushed to the margins in white middle class churches.

Yes, it seems to apply to all singletons. I have been told that "I wasn't doing my duty to God" and that I shouldn't work with or talk to married women in the Church community without their husbands being present. Its flattering but I'm sure that most if not all women could actually control themselves in my presence.
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:

Yes, it seems to apply to all singletons. I have been told that "I wasn't doing my duty to God" and that I shouldn't work with or talk to married women in the Church community without their husbands being present. Its flattering but I'm sure that most if not all women could actually control themselves in my presence.
WTF???
[Ultra confused] [Ultra confused] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been good-looking enough to be considered a threat to anyone's coupledom so I can't comment on that. But I think it is true that single people can tread a different path. Being part of the bellringing team, or the Sunday School or choir might give a single person a good sense of belonging, and being valued. Single widows - especially female - may possibly have a number of contemporaries at church who remember their spouses, and belong to the same social groups etc,. Though, OTOH, I know that many widows/widowers, too, often feel they are too easily excluded from many things as well, when their partner dies. It must be incredibly difficult to immerse onself as a lone person, in even a familiar congregation, when you've been so used to your partner at your side for so long.

I've noticed that the people who were more likely to befriend me in the sense of hospitality and caring, would be older couples of, say, my parents' generation. Younger couples rarely if ever took more than a Sunday morning interest, friendly as that might be. I have to be fair, though to a couple of families who 'took me in' from time to time for meals with their family and treated me like a much wanted guest (long before ordination).

And, I would further amend that to say that in a couple of evangelical churches, of my experience, there was a much more inclusive feel to the congregation towards single people. More proactive stuff going on that included everyone, not just couples. Maybe the theology of the individual, identifiable with some forms of evangelicalism, is a positive thing there?

I have to say, if I had been a cook, or confident of my own hospitality skills, which I'm not, I suppose I could've invited others round, rather than waiting for the invites from others! But, pre-ordination I only ever lived in tiny bed-sit rooms and grotty flats which didn't make it possible to host get-togethers. And since ordination - though I've had a few forays into offering half-cooked chicken, or basic salad and bread lunches - home is basically a church office, covered in dog-hair!

(There seems to be a slightly different approach in this part of Ireland to singles - in that so many people, especially male farmers, are single. It's not really unusual, and their relatives and friends usually keep a close eye on them. Families are very involved here, and have lived here for ever, so most congregations rather resemble family reunions. )

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I think it's a reflection of the way that churches are really, really bad at moving out of their comfort zones and engaging with folks who aren't PLU (People Like Us).

Which is true, but why should single people be the ones who feel left out? Is our marital status really the most important thing about us, overriding all other points of connection and mutual interest?

It occurs to me that we might also be nearing a sort of sweet spot for singles, where there are enough in a given church to form their own sub-community, like the young families or OAPs. Once there's a critical mass, it's much harder to ignore an entire group.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My experience as a single person was similar to Anselmina's, minus the ordination. I wasn't a threat to anybody, and I found that the choir (mostly older than me) made me feel very welcome, but people my own age pretty much ignored me.

I actually found that getting married didn't make that much difference, maybe because my husband doesn't come to church. What really made people take notice was having a baby. People started chatting with me like old friends who had never even met my eyes in the hallway.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

LOL! But, seriously, what a load of judgmental, sexist crap. [Roll Eyes] Sorry you were subjected to that. [Frown] Why oh why do some churches insist on shooting their own, eh?

Well, these findings are depressing but not surprising. Having said that, I've never felt stigmatised as a single Christian woman in my circles.

However, there is an elephant in the room: sexuality. Specifically, celibate sexuality. I am currently committed to celibacy - not entirely through lack of opportunity to be otherwise, my vanity compels me to point out [Two face] - but it seems to be blithely assumed by many evangelical Christians that their fellows who are celibates (for whatever reason, there are many variables) calmly sail through hormonal waters completely untroubled by a smidgeon of lust. [Razz] (What planet do people live on? [Help] )

We've moved from being a culture that once judged people harshly for NOT being virgins (actually, make that women - it was never regarded as a big deal for men). And that is a good thing, because being a non-virgin is not the be-all and end-all and people certainly shouldn't be pilloried for it. But we've now become a culture where if someone actually takes biblical teaching on sexuality seriously, i.e. if they really are committed to the idea that they won't have sex before they are covenantally bound to another in marriage ... well, there is clearly something wrong with them.

I say our culture is out of whack.

Feminism has helped me in this regard: I can say my celibacy is a valid choice (which it is). So then, respect someone's choice. Don't assume they're weird, or pathological, or have never grown up, just because they're not having sex.

Over the years, I've worked out my own praxis on these issues, because I've yet to hear a helpful, rounded, grounded sermon on singleness and sexuality from any church I've ever attended. Christian singles are, IMO, left to sink or swim on their own.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've gone out of my way as a single woman, not to be alone with a married man as to respect the wife, but I've still experienced this occasionally...the wife acting awkward around me. (Mainly in music, when I've practice singing with just the husband around, sometimes when nobody else shows up for worship music practice and the show must go on, you end up practicing the worship music with just the two of you). Only once did it get to me, the wife acting like I was out to get her husband. I ended up reaching out to her a lot and that seemed to quell the fears. It doesn't happen that often though. I figure their relationship must lack good communication when it does. I am back in the church I grew up in and they know me well enough there I think to not be silly like that.

[ 25. April 2013, 12:47: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is not only Christians. People seem to have difficulty processing, or trusting, singleness past a certain age. One must be in, or pursuing, a relationship at all times. Therefore those who are not are highly suspect. [Paranoid] Either something is amiss or after anything with a pulse.
Funny thing, IME, marriage quickly creates an amnesia around what it was like to be single.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Laurelin is onto something.

I'd also suggest that there is a very unhealthy 'goldfish bowl' atmosphere in certain types of fellowship - particularly those which attract students or young, single professionals. They can't be seen to even be talking to someone of the opposite sex without the rest of the church showing a prurient interest or thinking that they're going to be walking down the aisle within the next five minutes ...

I s'pose this is inevitable to a certain extent. After all, we wouldn't have any Jane Austen novels if courtship and all that goes with it wasn't of interest ...

I don't know what you do about it, though.

I've seen single people of both sexes marginalised in church settings. I'm not sure whether it's worse for either sex, just different.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I think Laurelin is onto something.

I'd also suggest that there is a very unhealthy 'goldfish bowl' atmosphere in certain types of fellowship - particularly those which attract students or young, single professionals. They can't be seen to even be talking to someone of the opposite sex without the rest of the church showing a prurient interest or thinking that they're going to be walking down the aisle within the next five minutes ...

I s'pose this is inevitable to a certain extent. After all, we wouldn't have any Jane Austen novels if courtship and all that goes with it wasn't of interest ...

I don't know what you do about it, though.

I've seen single people of both sexes marginalised in church settings. I'm not sure whether it's worse for either sex, just different.

Probably more noticeable for single women though on the basis that there are so many more of them.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More that women are naturally vile temptresses that innocent males cannot resist. At least until the magical ring of control is placed upon their finger.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church now holds a double obsession that the society at large once held. The first one is 'you must be married'. Many times I have seen well meaning couples in church forcing their single friends into truly excruciating situations of asking them over for dinner/cinema/whatever and then saying, 'Oh, and here's Sandra and she's single and in church too.' It's a hideous car crash situation, where everyone will know who you are dating and all the details when it goes awry. I've even witnessed unhappy marriages and dreadful disasters, simply because the church community felt more comfortable in relating to two singles as a married couple than when they were single. It is horrible to watch.

The second obsession is suspicion. I can't think of any other group or community in society that has such an unhealthy attitude to sexuality as the church today. If they only know you as single then they assume you are either a lesbian or a gay and must be in the closet - there can be no other possible explanation. I witnessed one terrible event where a woman who had been single suddenly arrived one Sunday with her youngish son. Turned out she had divorced and it had such a terrible effect on her and her son, and the surrounding issues of guilt that she had decided she would not marry again (I suspect she also took her marriage vows very seriously and was not willing to make another commitment after divorce). And what pastoral, caring support did she get from her church community? - none. Just whispers behind hands of 'Oh, she isn't lesbian', or, 'Maybe there was a divorce because she turned out to be lesbian'. One person even had the gall to say to the woman's face, 'Oh, I never pictured you as the marrying type.' Never have I known any other group or community in society to be so idiotically insensitive and uncaring as the church in these matters. I could tell you story after story, after story. One's that involve the destructive power of gossip over male singles being labelled a paedo's are particularly sad.

I don't know what the answer is for the church to be honest, but I have a strong suspicion that if it doesn't get on top of it's obsessions, they will continue to be a ringing death knell.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the Indy article.

I can't relate to it now - single through death of partner.

And it was the exact opposite of what heppened/how I felt before I got "coupled-up" in my late 30s.

Sorry.

As for the actions/attitudes of some paranoid women who see other women as would-be husband stealers - there is absolutely nothing to be done to make these people less objectionable and less paranoid.

Works in reverse too.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't resonate with my experience of church on this side of the pond. If anyone under the age of 80 shows up, single, a couple, or (praise Allah) an entire family, they are fauned over like a missionary at a convention of cannibals. Still not comfort-engendering, but they certainly are not seen as predators.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist:
quote:
As for the actions/attitudes of some paranoid women who see other women as would-be husband stealers - there is absolutely nothing to be done to make these people less objectionable and less paranoid.

Well, I take the view that if someone else could steal him he wouldn't be worth hanging on to. But I must admit we don't socialise much with single people, because we've got to the age when most of our longstanding friends are couples, including one friend who's getting married for the first time in June at the age of 50 and another who got married in his mid-forties; of course we went on being friends with them while they were single!

On the other hand, we don't have time to socialise much with anyone... and most of the other members of our church are as busy with other things as we are, so inviting some of them round for dinner is like scheduling the D-Day invasion.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being single when everyone else is married is not a problem confined to church but, yes, sometimes one can feel kind of left out, especially if you're not single by choice. Quite what the answer is, I don't know. I'm not sure it's deliberate it's probably just that couples tend to socialise with other couples.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that churches are any different from society in general in this. I can't speak for women, not being one, but middle-aged and older single men are pretty much ignored everywhere. The general feeling is that any man who is single above the age of about mid-30s must either be sexually perverted, or more likely just a pathetic loser that no-one could fancy.

To be honest, churches are probably more tolerant than many other places of single men. Tolerant rather than welcoming I think. But then no-where much is welcoming for older men on their own, except maybe pubs.

And every now and again some brain-dead preacher trots out that trite old sermon about the supposed benefits of singleness and you find yourself wanting to bore their eyeballs out with hot pokers, slowly. And then preach to them about the positive side of blindness.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I'm not sure that churches are any different from society in general in this. I can't speak for women, not being one, but middle-aged and older single men are pretty much ignored everywhere. The general feeling is that any man who is single above the age of about mid-30s must either be sexually perverted, or more likely just a pathetic loser that no-one could fancy.

To be honest, churches are probably more tolerant than many other places of single men. Tolerant rather than welcoming I think. But then no-where much is welcoming for older men on their own, except maybe pubs.

And every now and again some brain-dead preacher trots out that trite old sermon about the supposed benefits of singleness and you find yourself wanting to bore their eyeballs out with hot pokers, slowly. And then preach to them about the positive side of blindness.

Yep. I know what you mean. I'm there.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:

It occurs to me that we might also be nearing a sort of sweet spot for singles, where there are enough in a given church to form their own sub-community, like the young families or OAPs. Once there's a critical mass, it's much harder to ignore an entire group.

Some years back, in my first "try" at a church after my divorce, I volunteered substantial time and effort in getting a singles group going within that congregation. I reserved meeting space, made fliers, put announcements in the bulletin, etc., all with the somewhat vague and distant blessing of resident clergy. Months went by, the group did some outings, organized activities and hosted holiday dinners for loners at the church, etc. and things went as swimmingly as a smallish group of around two dozen single people in their 20s-30s-40s could expect.

Then I fell ill and had a long, difficult recovery. I notified church administrators and called several group members in an effort to parcel out the stuff I'd been doing to keep the group going.

Within two months the singles group was kaput. No one, laity or clergy, from the church ever called to ask how I was doing, or offered the slightest help to the folks who had agreed to take on the tasks I'd had to delegate.

To this day, I cannot understand the church's attitude. The church gained several new members as a result of the singles group. AFAIK, all those members left when the single group fell apart for lack of support from the church.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
More that women are naturally vile temptresses that innocent males cannot resist. At least until the magical ring of control is placed upon their finger.

The Saudis have solved this. Wear a veil.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm at the stage when all my Christian friends in my age group are getting married (20-25, usually straight out of uni). I've found in more evangelical churches that have 'women's ministry' events, it's all about marriage and parenthood. At my AffCath church now, the majority of the congregation are elderly with many widows, and I feel rather less alone amongst them - but possibly since I now seem to have a whole congregation of new adopted grandparents [Smile]

Certainly I found being single much more difficult in an evangelical church full of students and young professionals because as has been said upthread, everyone expects the young people to pair off with each other. I've been to Vineyard churches that were like cattle markets.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Being single when everyone else is married is not a problem confined to church but, yes, sometimes one can feel kind of left out, especially if you're not single by choice. Quite what the answer is, I don't know. I'm not sure it's deliberate it's probably just that couples tend to socialise with other couples.

Just to present a different perspective and not at all to discount your experience, it sometimes seems to me that singles imagine we married-with-children couples have a much more interesting social life than we actually do. Sitcoms not withstanding, most of us rarely get an evening out or entertain in our homes. We probably should-- it would be a great act of hospitality, and an enjoyable thing to do. But know that most of us don't. Most of us are up to our ears in supervising homework and ferrying kids to soccer practice and trying to pay the bills. Indeed, the single friends I have at church seem to me to have a much, much richer social life than I've had in years. Obviously, YMMV, and there may be real barriers/exclusion that I don't see because I'm too absorbed in My Own Little World (see above). But honestly, you're not missing out on a whole lot unless you want to come over to my house and negotiate another round of sibling disputes over who got the bigger slice of pizza.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In OAP church this is not really an issue. Age is a great leveler, most are single, or at least lone attenders.

There can be an assumption about widowhood but some may be spinsters (yes more women than men here) or divorced.

As the married become widows, the lifelong singles and the divorcee who has felt that label heavily over years all merge into one category of those who will lunch alone.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have mentioned before - church I was going to has a monthly meal gathering - couples only. I said I would start one open to all, was forbidden to, it might detract some people from the marrieds group.

I.e. it comes from the top, that church is about families, the future of the church depends on members producing babies, "the target demographic is young marrieds with children" is said from the pulpit (to a congregation mostly gray). I mentioned it at a city-wide meeting and gray haired people all over the room - lay leaders in their Methodist churches - stood up and said with a edge of anger that's their church too.

Singles are distrusted because they aren't "one of us" and are obviously either homewreckers or gay/lesbian, and aren't producing kids (bad!) unless they are doing it by homewrecking or sexually sinning (bad!).

Older people aren't able to produce kids anymore so they are no longer of interest, although more ignored than avoided because they aren't sinning when they fail to produce kids.

Only those who are producing the next generation are keeping the church going (they say). If I say the gospel examples of evangelism are adult-centered they chide me "let the little children come."

I am now at an episcopal church, on the newcomers committee, which wants a church logo of a multi-generational family because "that's who we are." Huh? 40% are single (mostly older), including a lesbian couple and childfree marrieds and never marrieds, but 40% of us is not who we are? Invisible.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

Just to present a different perspective and not at all to discount your experience, it sometimes seems to me that singles imagine we married-with-children couples have a much more interesting social life than we actually do. Sitcoms not withstanding, most of us rarely get an evening out or entertain in our homes. We probably should-- it would be a great act of hospitality, and an enjoyable thing to do. But know that most of us don't. Most of us are up to our ears in supervising homework and ferrying kids to soccer practice and trying to pay the bills. Indeed, the single friends I have at church seem to me to have a much, much richer social life than I've had in years. Obviously, YMMV, and there may be real barriers/exclusion that I don't see because I'm too absorbed in My Own Little World (see above). But honestly, you're not missing out on a whole lot unless you want to come over to my house and negotiate another round of sibling disputes over who got the bigger slice of pizza.
What he said.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Singles are distrusted because they aren't "one of us" and are obviously either homewreckers or gay/lesbian,

Even better if you can aspire to be both.
[Biased]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

(Whispers) Karl, cliffdweller is an innie, not an outie.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Shipmate
# 76

quote:

Ach, ah cannae tell from t'intertubes, ye ken.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never suffered such insensitive, crass treatment as many of you obviously have. [Frown]

And I know that married life is not a bed of roses. I know this. I'm not a clueless young maiden in a Jane Austen novel. [Biased]

But.

quote:
To this day, I cannot understand the church's attitude. The church gained several new members as a result of the singles group. AFAIK, all those members left when the single group fell apart for lack of support from the church.

[Frown]

This confirms what I think: that many Christian singles are simply left to sink or swim on their own.

*shakes head*

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

hey, if I took a break from the soccer carpooling/ laundry sorting/ homework supervising/ snotty nose wiping/ permission slip signing/ bake sale baking etc etc etc from time to time and actually ventured out into the outside world that I hear rumors may exist, maybe my innie/outie-ness would be a bit more evident....

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Singles are distrusted because they aren't "one of us" and are obviously either homewreckers or gay/lesbian,

Even better if you can aspire to be both.
[Biased]

What, gay and lesbian? [Razz]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

However, there is an elephant in the room: sexuality. [...] I've yet to hear a helpful, rounded, grounded sermon on singleness and sexuality from any church I've ever attended. Christian singles are, IMO, left to sink or swim on their own.

I know I've said this before in this forum but I must have read dozens of books and articles supposedly giving Christian teaching about sexual behaviour, and listened to a few sermons on it (not many, in my experience churches talk about sexual morality far less than people who don't go to them seem to think they do) and I don't think I have ever come across one single example that talked at all realistically or pragmatically about the situation of middle-aged or older single people.

quote:
quote:
Just to present a different perspective and not at all to discount your experience, it sometimes seems to me that singles imagine we married-with-children couples have a much more interesting social life than we actually do. Sitcoms not withstanding, most of us rarely get an evening out or entertain in our homes.

What he said.
Well I was married-with-a-child once, and then I was single-with-a-child. And now I am single and living on my own. And before all that I was single-but-not-yet-married. And each state has different problems. (And each state has some of the same ones as well) But the particular problem we're talking about here, social acceptance, is easier for married-with-children than for divorced. Very much so. And I suspect its even harder for the never-married (*) No-one likes a loser, and if you have no sexual relationships at all you are assumed to be a massive loser.

quote:
Within two months the singles group was kaput. No one, laity or clergy, from the church ever called to ask how I was doing, or offered the slightest help to the folks who had agreed to take on the tasks I'd had to delegate.

I guess part of the problem is that to most people "singles group" means a place to look for sexual partners. And churches aren't usually very happy about that. If you aren't married you aren't supposed to be wanting sex, and if you are above the age of whatever they feel you are too old to be marriageable. So the idea creeps people out a little, or makes them feel uncomfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
It occurs to me that we might also be nearing a sort of sweet spot for singles, where there are enough in a given church to form their own sub-community, like the young families or OAPs.

Just speaking personally, the idea of a church singles group doesn't sound very interesting to me to be honest. Why limit social relationships to those connected by nothing other than not being married? (*) I've got no real reason to want to exclude married people. And even more so groups based on age. Same goes for our church's "Men's Group" which doesn't' particularly fascinate me. (Other than as a worked example of how political manoeuvring can come to dominate pretty much any meeting) I means sometimes we go out to a bar or restaurant and c hat and have a good time, which is great, but I have no personal reason for wanting to avoid women while doing that. Quite the opposite. The more women around the better as far as I am concerned. The world is full of middle-aged men - just go to any event involving politics, computers, sport, or beer (pretty much my entire life outside Sunday mornings) and you will see plenty of middle-aged men. I'd rather have more women around. Whether single, married, or whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Avila:
As the married become widows, the lifelong singles and the divorcee who has felt that label heavily over years all merge into one category of those who will lunch alone.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

(*) For values of "married" that include pretty much any long-term sexual relationship, or relationship presumed to be sexual by people not in it. The nature of the paperwork doesn't really matter, and hasn't really mattered in my lifetime. The number and gender of the participants matters less than it did and if things go on as they have been, they also might soon stop mattering at all.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in my salad days, when I realised that I was going to be single ad infinitum, I started to try and find what was advised for such people.

(Outside church, As soon as my colleagues got married, they switched to having dinner parties with even numbers from irregular parties. There were a number of odd occurrences when couples refused invitations from me in response to theirs to me. it gets dispiriting, that.)

In my own group, in the book which has suggestions about life, the piece on the single life was pretty sparse and unhelpful. It had suggestions such as volunteeering to look after the children during the meeting. Duh! What had I been doing all week? What did I need a rest from on Sunday? don't such adults qualify to take a full part in the worship of adults?

The particular meeting did have a lot of shared lunches and such events where everyone was treated as equals, and I never felt left out, despite the numbers of families. The group is now smaller, so less socialising.

Worse was a book I came across in a Durham Christian bookshop. (I'm open to help from what ever source - or at least, I though I was.) This came up with a set of really weird stuff. After advising the single not to be alone with anyone of the opposite sex, and especially not horizontally, even in public as on beaches or in parks, it went off into fairy land as far as single women were concerned.

Apparently, while a single man can relate directly to God, a woman MUST have a man as her head, even if she is not married. So, it advised, a single woman must seek out a happily married couple where the man will agree to be her head for spiritual matters.

And they wonder why women regard single woman as a threat to their marriage?

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sitcoms not withstanding, most of us rarely get an evening out or entertain in our homes. We probably should-- it would be a great act of hospitality, and an enjoyable thing to do. But know that most of us don't.

Mostly when we entertain, it's other families with small-ish children. Every now and then, we do have a single friend or two round for dinner, but they're usually older people with rather sedate lives.

Because frankly, to most young singles, we're pretty boring. We have to eat early, so that the children are ready for bed. Then there's an hour of hiatus while small children are put to bed, and by some time between 9 and 10, we're falling asleep as we stand.

Then again, there aren't that many young singles around here, because we're very much a "family" suburb. We have children, we have young adults at college who return in the vacations, we have couples either with children or expecting children, single parents with children, and older people. Young singles don't generally choose to live here - they live in the city.

We do have a few mid-20s singles at church, but they are all children of older church members who still live at home.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
hey, if I took a break from the soccer carpooling/ laundry sorting/ homework supervising/ snotty nose wiping/ permission slip signing/ bake sale baking etc etc etc from time to time and actually ventured out into the outside world that I hear rumors may exist, maybe my innie/outie-ness would be a bit more evident.... [/QB]

And in that small list are 2 social activities where the outside world comes to your door...
Not only that, they're actually intrinsically social.

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the title of the thread refers to single women, the article seems to refer to single adults of both sexes. Is this phenomenon simply noticed more when the single folk are female? Are the married women supposedly more insecure than their husbands? If the threat in question is real, does that mean there should be separate (but equal) churches for single and married?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cliffdweller:
[qb] Just to present a different perspective and not at all to discount your experience, it sometimes seems to me that singles imagine we married-with-children couples have a much more interesting social life than we actually do. Sitcoms not withstanding, most of us rarely get an evening out or entertain in our homes.

What he said.
Well I was married-with-a-child once, and then I was single-with-a-child. And now I am single and living on my own. And before all that I was single-but-not-yet-married. And each state has different problems. (And each state has some of the same ones as well) But the particular problem we're talking about here, social acceptance, is easier for married-with-children than for divorced. Very much so. And I suspect its even harder for the never-married (*) No-one likes a loser, and if you have no sexual relationships at all you are assumed to be a massive loser.
Yes-- I too, was divorced-with-child long before I was married-with-child. So yes, as I said, I'm not trying to discount the experience of singles so excuse that of marrieds. I was only trying to address a single subset of the question-- the apparent assumption that there are all sorts of married-only social events that the singles aren't getting invited to. My point was, probably not. (Or if they are, I must really have some off-putting trait, because I'm not getting invited either).

That doesn't speak to nor again, excuse, all of the sorts of inclusion problems that have been mentioned here, or indeed that I experienced too as a single mom. Just addressing that one subset from my own experience.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
While the title of the thread refers to single women, the article seems to refer to single adults of both sexes. Is this phenomenon simply noticed more when the single folk are female? Are the married women supposedly more insecure than their husbands?

Single women are man stealers. Men cannot control themselves, poor dears. Single men are gay. Only a problem if your man is vociferously anti-gay.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Call me picky, but I have never understood why any sane woman would WANT a married guy willing to cheat on his wife. What's there to keep him from cheating on me, too? Pfft.

If the wives are that insecure, I'd guess the relevant husbands had form. I'd steer clear of both spouses.

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
While the title of the thread refers to single women, the article seems to refer to single adults of both sexes. Is this phenomenon simply noticed more when the single folk are female? Are the married women supposedly more insecure than their husbands?

In my grandmother's day - and I feel like a lot of churches are stuck in her pre-world war 1 day - it was OK, even admirable, for a man to remain unmarried, but deplorable for a woman. A woman MUST marry, said my Grandma. I said "you wouldn't like any of the men who have proposed marriage to me." She said "you don't have to like him, you do have to marry."

Meanwhile, the church of my youth (upper middle class Episcopal, 1950s) taught that the only valid role of a woman was wife and mother.

If the only way you can be an acceptable person - and back when most jobs that paid a living wage were male only, the only way to not starve - is to marry, then a single woman must be desperate for a husband, any husband, including yours.

And if losing yours would mean losing social acceptability and probably starving, you are dependent and insecure and desperate to hang on to him. Your survival depends keeping him away from all single women. That couple we use to eat out with every Friday night? With him dead the widow is no longer a friend but a dangerous threat.

So I was surprised when I fussed at a male friend that "the modern western church has no place for the unmarried adult woman" and he responded "the modern western church has no place for the unmarried adult man." We've both tried a number of churches, mostly because of moving a lot.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Call me picky, but I have never understood why any sane woman would WANT a married guy willing to cheat on his wife. What's there to keep him from cheating on me, too? Pfft.

If the wives are that insecure, I'd guess the relevant husbands had form. I'd steer clear of both spouses.

Unfortunately, there are women who don't think that out logically. In 1998, I knew of three previously happy UK marriages where there had been no reason to suspect the husband had form, and where the wives had felt perfectly secure, which were deliberately targeted by other women - all three being for some reason from the USA. One rang the wife to tell her that she wasn't to sleep with her husband any more because he was now hers. One turned up at the husband's business and treated the wife like trash, and then seemed to try to claim the marriage history by giving similar gifts to the husband as had been exchanged in the past. I don't have any details of the other's success - both the ones I know about did break up. It did seem that the women wanted someone with a proven track record as husband and father, despite their own actions breaking that record. The two I know about were completely prepared to treat the wives despicably and take no account of the hurt they were doing to them and to the children. (For some reason another woman from the same country failed in her attempt to win my best friend at the same time. I haven't come across that particular phenomenon since, nor had I seen it before.) Both deserted wives have found new partners since without damaging any one else's lives.

But there clearly are such women about, and I suspect they are not confined to some sort of Henry James novel.

[ 25. April 2013, 22:11: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Of course you're right; there's no shortage of such women. But I did say no sane woman would undertake such an endeavor, and I stand by that.

I was briefly married. A woman of my now ex-husband's acquaintance arrived at my door one afternoon out of the blue to explain to me why I had to "let him go," as they were in love. (It was the first I'd heard of this.)

I told her she was welcome to him, but that she'd better keep track of his comings and goings, as he was known to stray.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. That's been enlightening. Clearly I'm lucky in my church. I have no experience of any shunning or weirdness of any kind in my church, my sister church (we share a parish) or the local CoE shack. We certainly have a number of long term singles who are right at the centre of church activity without incident, including my mother who began regular attendance as a twice-divorced single mother.

Clearly there are problems as many shipmates have noted, but I can't help thinking the numbers from the article may be slightly skewed in that they are taken from users of a Christian dating site.

(BTW, that's not to say the problems that exist shouldn't be tackled.)

[ 25. April 2013, 22:59: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Worse was a book I came across in a Durham Christian bookshop. (I'm open to help from what ever source - or at least, I though I was.) This came up with a set of really weird stuff. After advising the single not to be alone with anyone of the opposite sex, and especially not horizontally, even in public as on beaches or in parks, it went off into fairy land as far as single women were concerned.

Apparently, while a single man can relate directly to God, a woman MUST have a man as her head, even if she is not married. So, it advised, a single woman must seek out a happily married couple where the man will agree to be her head for spiritual matters.

I'm a man but my reflexive gut reaction to that is [Ultra confused] [Help] [Mad] [Projectile]

[ 26. April 2013, 00:54: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never been able to say why when I first happened upon my present parish I seemingly instinctively found it to be so welcoming. except that I felt that there was an extremely welcoming spirit about the place. But reading this thread gives me a little insight into why I have felt this to be so. I realise that I have observed (and felt) the phenomena described in this thread in other congregations (not all) and i haven't found it to be the case where I am now.

I think the spirit of exclusion of single people as described above is probably stronger in suburban congregations. Ours is a downtown congregation of people of all age groups and marital or non-marital status, in family groups and not in family groups, many from the central city, but in addition there are more than a few members with families from the suburbs who have made the conscious decision to be here. I feel fortunate to be where I am now.

BTW IMHO the hyper-family emphasis is a reflection of the larger society. In the commercialised wider society and particularly in the mass media everything is "family-family-family". When an event is described as being "fun for the whole family" AFAICS what it really means is that it's fun for children, not for adults

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I shouldn't work with or talk to married women in the Church community without their husbands being present ...

Blimey, I think you're going to the wrong sort of church. [Eek!]

I can't really speak from experience (well, not recent anyway - I've been married for nearly 25 years) but I can think of a couple of single women (one single, 30s, one divorced, 40s) in our congregation who regard us as their family. One has involved herself by being a deputy warden and sidesperson, the other sings in the choir and acts as a tour guide.

I'd be very surprised if either of them felt that they were isolated, but then ours is a particularly friendly shack.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016