homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gun control, the U.S. Senate, etc. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gun control, the U.S. Senate, etc.
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over here, Orfeo noted that reasonable discussion belongs here in Purg - so let's have it here and save his sanity.

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
The legislation mandates more background checks on gun sales (with plenty of exceptions); explicitly forbids creating any sort of registry; and says nothing about confiscation. So what exactly is this beef or herring you speak of?

The current, watered-down version isn't too bad - if we believe that it's the last one. Unfortunately, gun owners in the US know better. Sen. Feinstein was reportedly furious that her new gun ban didn't get a floor vote, and it will be back at some point. She, Sen. Schumer, and others have publicly admitted they'd like a total ban on firearms, but haven't had the votes (yet).

Then there's the registration issue. Current US law forbids a federal registry - yet it's been reported that the ATF routinely keeps copies of form 4473 data (for non-US Shipmates, this is the background check form one fills out when buying firearms from a licensed dealer), in direct violation of the 1986 law that created the NICS system. A sizable number of US gun owners simply don't trust that "no registry" doesn't actually mean "no public registry that we're going to tell you about".

The whole anger at the Senate thing is kind of amusing, actually - if the vote was that close in the Democrat-controlled Senate, did anyone actually think it had a prayer of passage in the House?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to polls, the vast majority of Americans (including most NRA members) favour tighter gun control. Yet congress refuses. So much for "of the people, by the people"

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And yet, in the poll that matters - the elections - gun control advocates obviously didn't win the day. How does that square?

Polls can mean whatever the poll-taker wants them to. The NRA's polls say Americans don't want gun control. The anti-gun folks' polls say they do. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. And for most folks, I'd wager it's only one issue, and a pretty small one at that, generally.

[ 07. May 2013, 14:24: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
According to polls, the vast majority of Americans (including most NRA members) favour tighter gun control. Yet congress refuses. So much for "of the people, by the people"

For that matter, the majority of U.S. Senators supported the bill in question. The anti-democratic nature of the U.S. Senate, particularly its lurch towards a sixty vote requirement to do anything, is just one of the many reasons the recent vote was so objectionable. It's just highlighting what a dysfunctional institution the U.S. Senate has become.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should be noted that, working from 2010 Census data and assuming each Senator represents half the population of his or her state, the 46 Senators who voted down the bill represent about 116 million Americans, while the 54 Senators who voted in favor of its passage represent about 192 million.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
And yet, in the poll that matters - the elections - gun control advocates obviously didn't win the day. How does that square?

I'll go with: ninny statists like Obama don't yet rule, and Thank God.

[Votive]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
I'll go with: ninny statists like Obama don't yet rule, and Thank God.

This seems fairly in line with blogger bspencer's observation that for a certain segment of the American public guns [are] cultural markers and little else.

quote:
I think the thing that makes me angriest about the gun debate as it currently stands is that the gun-humpers are basically just trolling liberals when they protest so vigorously even the smallest, most reasonable control measures. I mean, at this point, this is not about folks who enjoy hunting or target shooting worrying that their sporting/hobby will be hampered/criminalized in some way. No, at this point, this is just about trolling liberals. Gun-humpers have made the calculation, “Liberals are passionate about gun control; therefore I am against it.”

How do I know this? Well, I think it’s pretty obvious. You can defend your home with a rifle. You don’t need a semi-automatic weapon to hunt or shoot skeet or shoot at targets. The only reason I can imagine a person wanting a weapon like that is because it signifies something.

It goes on from there.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Polls can mean whatever the poll-taker wants them to. The NRA's polls say Americans don't want gun control. The anti-gun folks' polls say they do. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. And for most folks, I'd wager it's only one issue, and a pretty small one at that, generally.

In the middle of what? America has gun control. So it is not between existence and non-existence, but matter of degree. Look at the gay marriage debate, congress is shifting towards majority opinion rather than against. What could be the difference?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

The middle of the wildly differing "statistics". At the end of the day, I'd bet Americans are split around 50-50 on gun control, with a slightly higher number on the against side.

As far as the money insinuation - that may or may not be what motivates Congress. That said, I can assure you I get no cash from the firearms industry, and neither does the vast majority of "pro-gun" America. If folks are telling their representatives to oppose new legislation (and they are in many places, including here in liberal Minnesota*), it's not just about industry money.

Whether or not any of us agree or disagree with it individually, there is a rising tide of discontent with government intrusion (from both sides of the political aisle) into what many people see as their civil rights - be it Patriot Act-style electronic surveillance, domestic use of drone aircraft, further gun control, or what have you. If the anti-gun folks want to make progress, they're going to have to figure out how to navigate that minefield. And it won't be easy.

Simply put: the pro-gun side doesn't trust the anti-gun folks, and it's been given ample reason not to - every time the anti-gun side has brought up "reasonable gun control" and promised this will be the last new law, the one thing they need to protect America's children, they've been lying.

------------------------------------------------------

* The speaker of our Democrat-controlled House of Representatives recently pulled gun control off the table for the session, and the DFL controls both houses of the legislature and the Governor's mansion. That should give some idea of the breadth and depth of opposition to the idea, even here in one of the most reliably "blue" states in the Union.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For one thing, it seems as if candidates get dropped into two boxes. You're either pro-gun/anti-control or anti-gun/pro-control. There's not a lot of room for the nuance of 'in favour of certain controls' that would allow you to be a candidate that reflects the apparent opinion of a lot of people in these opinion polls on specific questions.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Simply put: the pro-gun side doesn't trust the anti-gun folks, and it's been given ample reason not to - every time the anti-gun side has brought up "reasonable gun control" and promised this will be the last new law, the one thing they need to protect America's children, they've been lying.

Citation please. I can't think of any national politician claiming that there was one perfect and flawless piece of legislation that, if passed, would solve a problem (any problem, not just gun violence) for ever and ever with no need to ever talk about it ever again.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The middle of the wildly differing "statistics". At the end of the day, I'd bet Americans are split around 50-50 on gun control, with a slightly higher number on the against side.

Wow, we don't need to take polls anymore. We can just ask jbohn how he's going to bet at the end of the day.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
For one thing, it seems as if candidates get dropped into two boxes. You're either pro-gun/anti-control or anti-gun/pro-control. There's not a lot of room for the nuance of 'in favour of certain controls' that would allow you to be a candidate that reflects the apparent opinion of a lot of people in these opinion polls on specific questions.

Good point. The moderate has, unfortunately, become a nearly extinct species in this country's political arena.

---------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Citation please. I can't think of any national politician claiming that there was one perfect and flawless piece of legislation that, if passed, would solve a problem (any problem, not just gun violence) for ever and ever with no need to ever talk about it ever again.

They're virtually all of this type - "we just need 'reasonable' gun control" (note the weasel word). The problem is that the definition of 'reasonable' keeps shifting - once the anti-gun lobby gets one thing, it moves quickly on to another. See here for a relatively decent timeline of U.S. gun control, both proposed and enacted. Note that only four years after the 1990 "Crime Control Act", we got the 1994 assault weapons ban, to be followed in 1998 by a proposal in the Senate to require trigger locks to be provided with every handgun sold. (The proposal finally passed in 1999.)

While we can probably agree that providing trigger locks isn't in and of itself a bad thing, can you see where gun owners might be leery of "just this one more thing" coming from the other side? Especially when, quite often, it's being proposed by someone who has said on national television:

quote:
“If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . ‘Mr. and Mrs. America, turn ‘em all in,’ I would have done it.”
source

---------------------

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Wow, we don't need to take polls anymore. We can just ask jbohn how he's going to bet at the end of the day.

The answers you'll get will be about as useful either way - and I'm way less expensive. [Razz]

Seriously, though - how many polls predicted a Romney win (some of them by pretty big margins) last fall?

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Seriously, though - how many polls predicted a Romney win (some of them by pretty big margins) last fall?

Well, if you were listening to anyone other than Nate Silver, who actually understands polling, then you get what you deserve.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is that something like "How many Republicans does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Ans. None -- they pay Fox News to do it for them.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Is that something like "How many Republicans does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Ans. None -- they pay Fox News to do it for them.

Pretty much, yeah. [Smile]

Political polls generally end up reporting whatever the folks sponsoring the poll want to hear, or so ISTM.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

They're virtually all of this type - "we just need 'reasonable' gun control" (note the weasel word). The problem is that the definition of 'reasonable' keeps shifting - once the anti-gun lobby gets one thing, it moves quickly on to another. See here for a relatively decent timeline of U.S. gun control, both proposed and enacted. Note that only four years after the 1990 "Crime Control Act", we got the 1994 assault weapons ban, to be followed in 1998 by a proposal in the Senate to require trigger locks to be provided with every handgun sold. (The proposal finally passed in 1999.)
Except that neither of those laws was seen as a "magic bullet" (if you'll pardon the phrase) for the problems of gun violence and gun safety. Those advocating the laws you cite were quite open about them being important reforms, not some kind of cure-all. Can you cite any politician stating something like "if only we can ban the import of semi-automatic weapons it would solve all of our gun problems forever and we'd never have to talk about it ever again"? Most legislation of this sort (and most other sorts as well) is usually billed as "a good start", not "the one solution that will fix everything forever".

quote:
While we can probably agree that providing trigger locks isn't in and of itself a bad thing, . . .

Who's "we"? The NRA opposes trigger locks, and not for any slippery slope reasons. You don't seem to think it's a particularly good idea either.

quote:

Two. Rassmussen and Gallup. Both seem to have had some fairly obvious and blatant systematic biases (the kind of errors you don't expect from prominent professionals) that slanted their polling towards Republican candidates. The most obvious were that they didn't poll mobile phones (which skewed their sample older demographically) and they assumed that the minority voters who showed up in 2008 would vanish back to wherever it was that they came from and not vote in 2012.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who's "we"? The NRA opposes trigger locks, and not for any slippery slope reasons. You don't seem to think it's a particularly good idea either.

There's nothing especially bad about trigger locks per se, although if your guns are stored in a locked cabinet, a second lock is a little superfluous, but harmless.

There is a big problem with requiring a home defense weapon to be stored with a trigger lock on. A home defense weapon should be stored in the most accessible way that is consistent with the safety of the occupants and visitors to your home. If someone breaks in to your home while you're still fiddling with the key to a trigger lock, you have a problem.

If you have little kids, or little kids frequently visit your house, it's most important to keep the guns away from them - it's more likely that a kid will shoot someone with your gun than you will have a break-in. If you live alone, there's nothing unsafe about a loaded handgun on a shelf.

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Can you cite any politician stating something like "if only we can ban the import of semi-automatic weapons it would solve all of our gun problems forever and we'd never have to talk about it ever again"?

You've got me - I've no inclination to try to find footage of a politician mouthing those exact words.

That said, billing it as "we only want this one little thing" is pretty much the same, no? Especially when we all know they really mean, "we only want this one little thing TODAY, but tomorrow we'll have more demands".

Quite a few folks talk about "reasonable" background checks. I might even agree with some of them. But in the next breath it's "reasonable" bans of so-called assault weapons. (To be read as "scary black guns with 'the thing that goes up'.") Then "reasonable" limits on magazine capacity. And so on, and so forth.

To some Americans, the experience of Canadian firearms owners (and those of the UK and Australia) are seen as a warning of what is to come if they relent on new firearms legislation. (To others, it's seen as a good example, to be fair.)

quote:
quote:
While we can probably agree that providing trigger locks isn't in and of itself a bad thing, . . .

I meant you and I.

Actually, I don't mind it in the least. Personally, I'm not sure it needed legislating - most manufacturers were already doing it - but I don't have a problem with it, really.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
There is a big problem with requiring a home defense weapon to be stored with a trigger lock on. A home defense weapon should be stored in the most accessible way that is consistent with the safety of the occupants and visitors to your home. If someone breaks in to your home while you're still fiddling with the key to a trigger lock, you have a problem.

This is indeed something to be considered. One solution is a weapon carried on one's person, although that has it's own set of issues.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I went down to get my physical examination one day, and I walked in, I sat down, got good and drunk the night before, so I looked and felt my best when I went in that morning. `Cause I wanted to look like the all-American kid from New York City, man I wanted, I wanted to feel like the all..., I wanted to be the all American kid from New York, and I walked in, sat down, I was hung down, brung down, hung up, and all kinds o' mean nasty ugly things. And I walked in and sat down and they gave me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the psychiatrist, room 604."

And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL!" And I started jumpin' up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL!" and he started jumpin' up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL!" And the sergeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy." "

With thanks to Arlo Guthrie. I think that pretty much sums up the mentality that wants, let alone needs(!) to own semi-automatic (and God forbid, automatic) weapons in a civilian context where there is no realistic prospect of war. I know the cultural background but that doesn't make it any saner. It is simply psychotic---an inability/refusal to see another human being as anything more than an object, to be maimed or killed at the convenience of the one powerful enough to pull the weight of a trigger (how very brave).

The fact that the people of the United States continue to wallow in this self-inflicted nightmare, and for so many to regard it as `normal' and `acceptable' seems to demonstrate how much people's hearts have been deadened; to confuse loyality to the dead letter of the `law' and `rights'---in this case idolatry of the `Constitution'---with the `spirit' of true freedom and justice.

There is no freedom or justice to those who are lying dead on the floor, or to those who are left with a lifetime's grief, because others uphold it as their `right' to own objects that have no other purpose but to kill human beings as quickly and cheaply as possible (and I am not talking about perfectly sensible shotguns and rifles used for hunting, although obviously they can be turned to bad use as well).

By any objective measure the situation in the US (as in some other countries) is `insane', but I guess given the United States self-appointed view of itself and its role in the world, we might be justified in expecting better. Feet of clay, indeed. Very sad.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
That said, billing it as "we only want this one little thing" is pretty much the same, no? Especially when we all know they really mean, "we only want this one little thing TODAY, but tomorrow we'll have more demands".

Except no one says that. They say "we want this thing", not "we only want this one little thing". Given that it's a well established principle of American law that Congress is not able to preemptively limit the actions of a future Congress, I'm not sure what kind of reassurances your looking for. Your ideal of perpetual stasis doesn't seem to be applied to any other area of law, either. "But didn't we revise [the tax code/steel tariffs/committee seniority rules] last year?" isn't a particularly compelling argument.

To use an historical parallel, this is akin to arguing that the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was some kind of underhanded betrayal because it was passed a mere year after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It requires ignoring multiple statements by supporters of the CRA on the importance of voting reforms.

[ 07. May 2013, 20:58: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Political polls generally end up reporting whatever the folks sponsoring the poll want to hear, or so ISTM.

A tangent, but c'mon -- how things seem to you don't constitute actual support for your argument.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The current, watered-down version isn't too bad - if we believe that it's the last one. Unfortunately, gun owners in the US know better.

So we have to reject this reasonable law, because if we don't, supporters will propose an unreasonable one in the future?

This makes no sense. If we have the power to reject bad laws now, what's to prevent us from rejecting bad proposals in the future?

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisdair:
I think that pretty much sums up the mentality that wants, let alone needs(!) to own semi-automatic (and God forbid, automatic) weapons in a civilian context where there is no realistic prospect of war.

I'm really on the fence when it comes to gun control, but I honestly don't get the issue with semi-automatic guns being a problem. Are they scarier because you don't have to do one extra step? I've shot semi-automatic handguns (another story) and it just meant the second round was ready. As I'm a pretty bad shot, I thought it was handy.

And trigger locks? jbohn has them. At my insistence. [Biased]

Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do civilians going about their lawful peaceful lives `need' self-loading weapons?

If they are varmint hunting they should take pride in learning to kill with one shot (and finishing of with another when that doesn't happen). There's certainly nothing safe or needful about being able to spray bullets around the countryside.

The point is that self-loading weapons just make it unnecessarily easy to go beserk, and live out some militaristic techno-power fantasy.

There simply isn't any realistic `need' for such weapons in the hands of the murdering public.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

There simply isn't any realistic `need' for such weapons in the hands of the murdering public.

It is to prevent the government from taking total control, just as they did in the UK, Canada and Australia.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

Are you serious!? As far as I know the US, like most countries, is run by a hegemony of rich families, corporate entities, and political operatives, monitored and coralled (more or less effectively!) by the judiciary.

It all gets dressed up in various traditional forms, but to put it crudely: money calls the shots, and always has done, but is usually kept in check by people in all areas of civic life who are not swayed by idolizing wealth.

This idea of `the government' as some monolithic presence just waiting for the opportunity to turn `the people' into it's slaves is a very naïve conspiracy theory. It's far more socially complex than that, but worship of money and power always needs to be kept in its place.

However, the fantasy that arming the populace is a sane and workable solution to maintaining good governance is lunacy, as the out-workings demonstrate on an almost daily basis.

[ 08. May 2013, 04:33: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you serious!? As far as I know the US, like most countries, is run by a hegemony of rich families, corporate entities, and political operatives, monitored and coralled (more or less effectively!) by the judiciary.

I was with you right up until the judiciary part. Our SCOTUS is the ultimate guarantor that none of this democracy stuff sneeks through the net of corporate control...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

I refuse to give in to total cynicism. [Biased]
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Your timeline ignores all the right's anti gun-regulation. From what I've gathered from across the pond, every proposed liberal law to regulate gun control has been vigourously opposed, watered down into toothlessness, or quickly followed by massive conservative loopholes to make it worthless.

You claim there was a 'last new law' that was passed - which the liberals promised would be the only one they'd need, yet turned out, once passed in full, to be only a stepping stone to more. This is a common fantasy of the right, but I don't think it's based in fact.

The liberals have to keep asking because they never get what they ask for. They want reasonable regulation. What they get is regulators being hamstrung so they legally can't do their jobs, regulations being shot through with loopholes, safety measures being flatly opposed, and young children being directly marketed to by gun companies painting their deadly weapons pink so little girls will want to play with them. If tobacco companies painted their packets pink or electric blue to appeal to children like Keystone, there'd be an outcry. When liberals suggest maybe this rampant proliferation of deadly weapons might need a bit of restraining the public outcry is against them!!
quote:

It's less a slippery slope situation than a man in a rainstorm pleading for an umbrella to keep dry and being grudgingly given a small scrap of newspaper instead that quickly turns to a useless mush. Of course he's going to keep crying for more and bigger scraps of paper! That doesn't mean he's being deceitful.

[ 08. May 2013, 12:45: Message edited by: Hawk ]

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Psmith
Shipmate
# 15311

- Posted      Profile for Psmith   Email Psmith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It is to prevent the government from taking total control, just as they did in the UK, Canada and Australia.
Control of what, exactly? The availability of guns has done nothing to prevent the erosion of rights to trial or freedom of information in the US, relative to the other countries mentioned. Are you saying you oppose gun control because it opens the door to gun control?

Canada, the UK and Australia are all as close to being free countries as any; all, as has been observed of governed by and for the rich, bot no more (and perhaps less) than the US

Canada's gun would not seem strict to many outside the united states. If I wanted one, a permit for "unrestricted" would not be hard to get, and that includes semi-automatic rifles. "Restricted" (handgun)permits also require only passing an exam and background check; a similar system in the US might well help to keep guns out of the hands of some dangerous people. The separate permit for handguns may, for example, serve to discourage casual buying while not being much of a barrier to, for example, a serious target shooter, thereby reducing the risks of theft. The UK and Australia are both much stricter- and yet hunting and target shooting are common enough in both, while on the other hand lethal violence is rarer.

Posts: 81 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Exactly my point, Psmith. But try telling the lunatics this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rather fascinated that some people didn't take lilBuddha's remark with the large dollop of irony that I did.

Of course, there are indeed people who take such statements with no hint of irony at all.

There is a certain naivety to the American celebration of freedom, but that is because it is so heavily woven into the American mythology. The narrative of the country's foundation is all about winning freedom. It's settled by people looking for religious freedom. There's a war of independence so people can make their own decisions. And America ends up being the proverbial 'Land of Freedom'.

It's not that those formative events weren't true, or at least a part of the truth. But the freedom idea has become such a key part of national identity that the idea of someone external to you threatening your 'freedom' has become about the worst horror imaginable, to be resisted vehemently. Meanwhile, people are perfectly capable of ignoring threats to their 'freedom' that are from themselves, their own group or the group they want to be part of.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sen. Feinstein was reportedly furious that her new gun ban didn't get a floor vote, and it will be back at some point. She, Sen. Schumer, and others have publicly admitted they'd like a total ban on firearms, but haven't had the votes (yet).

They can lead by example by disarming the capitol police and secret service. Or is it they figure us field hands are just too uppity?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Psmith:
The UK and Australia are both much stricter- and yet hunting and target shooting are common enough in both, while on the other hand lethal violence is rarer.

Umm, you do know that the UK prohibits possession of the target pistols required for, for example, the 25m and 50m Olympic pistol shooting events, right? That the British entrants in those events have to live and train abroad because their weapons aren't allowed in the UK, and that a special law and security arrangements were required to even allow the olympic pistol events to happen on UK soil at all?
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Psmith:
The UK and Australia are both much stricter- and yet hunting and target shooting are common enough in both, while on the other hand lethal violence is rarer.

Umm, you do know that the UK prohibits possession of the target pistols required for, for example, the 25m and 50m Olympic pistol shooting events, right? That the British entrants in those events have to live and train abroad because their weapons aren't allowed in the UK, and that a special law and security arrangements were required to even allow the olympic pistol events to happen on UK soil at all?
Google-fu indicates this is an inaccurate description of the problems that occurred, which had to do with failure of athletes to lodge the correct documentation, not to do with absolute prohibitions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/may/20/olympic-shooting-firearms-licences

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I would also note that the relevant sentence in the Wikipedia article on the shooting events at the London Olympics has been written by someone who knows how to link to legislation, but can't read legislation for shit.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Google-fu indicates this is an inaccurate description of the problems that occurred, which had to do with failure of athletes to lodge the correct documentation, not to do with absolute prohibitions.

That article refers to clay pigeon shooting, with shotguns. Shotguns are allowed in the UK, subject to the necessary paperwork. Handguns, post-Dunblane, are not.
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

A tangent, but c'mon -- how things seem to you don't constitute actual support for your argument.
It's not meant as support, per se - it's a semi-humorous aside, responding to Miss Amanda.

That said, the fact remains that high-profile polls were demonstrably wrong about the presidential election. This merely illustrates that while polling can be a useful source of information, poll data shouldn't be taken as absolute fact, either.

----------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
So we have to reject this reasonable law, because if we don't, supporters will propose an unreasonable one in the future?

This makes no sense. If we have the power to reject bad laws now, what's to prevent us from rejecting bad proposals in the future?

It's far easier to stop bad laws from being enacted in the first place than to try and stop them from being extended later. Sort of like an oak tree - it's a whole lot easier to uproot as a seedling than it is after 10 or 20 years.

quote:
Originally posted by AmyBo:
As I'm a pretty bad shot, I thought it was handy.

I thought you did pretty well, actually. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Your timeline ignores all the right's anti gun-regulation. From what I've gathered from across the pond, every proposed liberal law to regulate gun control has been vigourously opposed, watered down into toothlessness, or quickly followed by massive conservative loopholes to make it worthless.

Really? The Gun Control Act of 1968 was pretty sweeping, frankly, and not at all "toothless". the 1986 "Firearm Owner Protection Act" seems to have done a pretty good job of stemming the flow of legal fully automatic firearms. (Criminals, or course, ignore gun control laws - they're criminals, after all.)

The 1994 "assault weapons ban" worked as designed - it drove the price of grandfathered firearms and magazines up. It failed to do anything about crime because the design was brain-damaged, not because it was rendered "toothless".

quote:
The liberals have to keep asking because they never get what they ask for.

Thank God.

quote:
They want reasonable regulation.

Some of them claim that, and some may even mean it. Sen. Feinstein doesn't - see the quote I posted above about total confiscation.

quote:
What they get is regulators being hamstrung so they legally can't do their jobs, regulations being shot through with loopholes, safety measures being flatly opposed,

There are cases where you are correct - I don't agree, for instance, with Congressional bans on research into gun violence. There are other cases where the "safety measures" proposed are onerous and unworkable; it's just as well they aren't passed into law.

quote:
and young children being directly marketed to by gun companies painting their deadly weapons pink so little girls will want to play with them. If tobacco companies painted their packets pink or electric blue to appeal to children like Keystone, there'd be an outcry. When liberals suggest maybe this rampant proliferation of deadly weapons might need a bit of restraining the public outcry is against them!!

I know more than a few adult female shooters who love their pink rifles, for the record. To say nothing of the Pink Pistols, a gay rights/shooting enthusiast group. I've met a few of their members who do indeed own "pink pistols".

If the "public outcry is against" gun control advocates, it may be a clue here - if that's the case, then gun control isn't as popular as some on the left are claiming...

quote:
It's less a slippery slope situation than a man in a rainstorm pleading for an umbrella to keep dry and being grudgingly given a small scrap of newspaper instead that quickly turns to a useless mush. Of course he's going to keep crying for more and bigger scraps of paper! That doesn't mean he's being deceitful.

A closer would be your theoretical man saying, "All I want from you is a newspaper", and when given one that doesn't keep the rain off, asking for a colander, some chicken wire, and an empty picture frame to boot. None of them are going to keep the rain off, but he manages to inconvenience everyone else in the process. So it it with gun control - we get some, it doesn't solve the problem, so some folks assume what we need is more of the same. I submit that fixing the disaster of a mental health system (or better yet, the entire health system) in this country would do *far* more to curb violence of all sorts than all the new gun control laws you could name.

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
They can lead by example by disarming the capitol police and secret service. Or is it they figure us field hands are just too uppity?

You said it, I didn't. [Biased]

Of course, the thought of total gun prohibition being championed by someone with armed guards is a bit rich, frankly.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
From what I've gathered from across the pond, every proposed liberal law to regulate gun control has been vigourously opposed, watered down into toothlessness, or quickly followed by massive conservative loopholes to make it worthless.

Just wanted to add this reference about the 1986 FOPA - there was plenty of political game playing done, but it was done by the liberal Democrats, led by Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY):

link

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Here is the NY times on the subject. Special, temporary, rules allowing a couple of dozen people to possess match pistols and shoot them at one of four ranges in the country are hardly conducive to the development of new shooters. The point of view of the anti-gun side (exemplified by Chris Williamson MP in that article) is that they don't really care about the impact that gun laws have on target shooting. Now, as it happens, I think that's a reasonable opinion - if a gun ban is necessary and effective, killing off target shooting is a price worth paying - but that's not consistent with "target shooting [is] common enough".

I think self-defense is a much stronger reason for owning a gun than hobby target shooting, but that ship sailed in the UK in 1946.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

quote:

Of course, the thought of total gun prohibition being championed by someone with armed guards is a bit rich, frankly.

Neither one of you is stupid. So why do you rely on an argument which, quite frankly, is?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
quote:

quote:

Neither one of you is stupid. So why do you rely on an argument which, quite frankly, is?
Thank you. [Smile]

Not "relying on it", though - just noticing a bit of irony.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Psmith
Shipmate
# 15311

- Posted      Profile for Psmith   Email Psmith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now, as it happens, I think that's a reasonable opinion - if a gun ban is necessary and effective, killing off target shooting is a price worth paying - but that's not consistent with "target shooting [is] common enough".

I think self-defense is a much stronger reason for owning a gun than hobby target shooting, but that ship sailed in the UK in 1946.

Target shooting with rifles in the case of the UK, I suppose.

Self-defense is not a compelling reason in most cases because It does not actually make one safer. In some specialized cases, that may not be the case.

I'm content with the current level of Gun control in Canada, with or without the recently abolished long-gun registry. A large portion of crime-guns here are smuggled from the United States, which does give Canada some interest in the failure of the US to maintain reasonable controls.

Posts: 81 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Reply to jbone:
It is, in fact, not at all ironic. How many death threats or assassination attempts have you received?

[ 08. May 2013, 17:11: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Reply to jbone:
It is, in fact, not at all ironic. How many death threats or assassination attempts have you received?

Well, when Senator Feinstein goes on record supporting the issuing of concealed carry permits to battered spouses, crime victims and other people who have received death threats, then we'll talk.

The President is a special case. It's not practical to give many other people the kind of security screen he has, and he has it precisely because he's a target for every nutjob out there. An ordinary politician is more at risk than the average person (cf. Gabby Giffords) but not different from the high-risk end of the distribution of normal people.

And the words I have for someone who employs armed guards whilst seeking to remove similar protection from other people who have a similar level of risk don't belong in Purg.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Fine, pick one person from the multitude of a more varied response. Yep, this is reasonable.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
It's far easier to stop bad laws from being enacted in the first place than to try and stop them from being extended later. Sort of like an oak tree - it's a whole lot easier to uproot as a seedling than it is after 10 or 20 years.

No, it takes exactly the same amount of effort to defeat the passage of a law as it does to defeat a revision to a law, at least in the U.S. In part, this is because laws aren't trees.

quote:
And the words I have for someone who employs armed guards whilst seeking to remove similar protection from other people who have a similar level of risk don't belong in Purg.

Do you have similar words for people who fund something like the U.S. military but severely restrict the operation of private armies?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Fine, pick one person from the multitude of a more varied response. Yep, this is reasonable.

Well, Senator Feinstein drove the 1994 assault weapons ban, tried to re-introduce it this year, and is probably the most consistent outspoken voice against guns in the US senate. So she's a reasonable person to pick - but if you wanted to extend the challenge to other prominent anti-gun politicians, such as Mayor Bloomberg, Mayor Emmanuel, or Senator Schumer, I'd be happy with that.

I do give Senator Feinstein a little credit for consistency - although she held a concealed carry permit and carried a handgun for protection in 1994 when her assault weapons ban was passed, she reportedly no longer holds a concealed carry permit.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Do you have similar words for people who fund something like the U.S. military but severely restrict the operation of private armies?

Don't be daft. The US military (or that of any other country) protects the whole country by construction. It's not possible to protect only the bits that senior politicians and their families are standing on. Members of Congress don't get any more or less protection from foreign invaders than minimum-wage shop assistants.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016