homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dallas Willard

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dallas Willard
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just seen that Christian author Dallas Willard died last week. His books, especially The Divine Conspiracy, have had a powerful impact on my life and faith so I wanted to acknowledge his sad passing. And it'd be great to see what y'all think of his books and teaching. Anyone else a fan?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only got half way through 'The Divine Conspiracy'. [Hot and Hormonal]

What I read was very good, though. [Smile]

I am more familiar with Richard Foster's books than with Willard's.

He seems to have introduced evangelicals to the riches of the ancient spiritual disciplines and Lectio Divina, if I have understood aright. [Smile] Clearly many people have been blessed by his ministry.

And now he is with the saints. [Cool]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He taught a few sessions at Wycliffe Hall and spoke at a conference at St Aldate's in Oxford which I attended.

I found his books a bit weird, to be perfectly honest.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
He seems to have introduced evangelicals to the riches of the ancient spiritual disciplines and Lectio Divina, if I have understood aright. [Smile] Clearly many people have been blessed by his ministry.

Sorry I missed your reply first time round, Laurelin. Yes, I think Willard did a great thing in making evangelicals aware of many spiritual activities which perhaps people from other strands of the church were already familiar with. Lectio Divina, fasting, confession etc.

May I urge you to give The Divine Conspiracy another go? I think it's one of those books that you have to be in the right frame of mind for, as it is really meaty, chewy stuff. And not very encouraging, at one level - given that one key message of the book is that we have to work at our spiritual formation (God doesn't just transform our character on his own).
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:

Oh, what do you mean? I've not heard his books described as 'weird' before...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:

How so?

Anyway, I'm not over familiar with Dallas Willard but I recently listened to this lecture and I was impressed. He was particularly gracious and also incisive when in conversation with an audience member (49 mims in approx) who held some very curious views.

J.P. Moreland wrote a very warm eulogy to his friend here and on the most recent Stand to Reason show (iTunes) both Greg Koukl, the host, and Moreland spoke about him for the last hour of the show.

Given the apparent quality of his character, I think I'll have to check out more of Dallas Willard.

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016