homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I'm not a 'fallen human'! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I'm not a 'fallen human'!
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
Answer: #1.

Intelligence.

I rest my case.

I’m afraid your case is not the least bit rested- it’s been up all night tossing and turning on a mattress full of rocks and rusty nails after an enormous curry supper.

Intelligence is not the most parsimonious explanation for the existence of everything, since it cannot be assented to without the question arising of whence the intelligence?

Regression, old chap.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Okay, there are too many who do have a vicious streak, and that is deeply saddening, but nowhere near enough (fortunately) to threaten the survival of the human species.

Firstly, why is the survival of the human species important?
I do not think there is an objective reason; it has happened because our evolution has enabled us to do so. Any importance attached to it is entirely a human idea.
quote:
The survival of individual human beings is important; and the survival of our culture or our memories, etc. ...
Yes, but that is true only for humans; there isn't another species which can pose the question, or consider its own importance, is there
quote:
But why should anyone care about the species beyond the survival of its members? This goes double if you accept the standard atheist arguments that the absence of an individual afterlife isn't an evil. If the absence of personal survival for the individual isn't an evil, then failure of the species to survive cannot be an evil either on the same grounds.
Agree - it's neither an evil nor a good. The absence of me after I die is of no importance; I will just have been one member of a species hugely lucky enough to have lived, and, I hope, made the most of my time here. Having an optimistic set of genes, I think I am very lucky that I do not find the idea of the failure of the species depressing. And I've read that over several times and it doesn't sound quite right, I'm afraid but will leave it if you don't mind.
quote:
Secondly, considering anthropogenic climate change and other environmental degradation, I'm not convinced that human beings aren't threatening the survival of the human species.
You're right, I'm sure, but at the same time the instinct for survival will work something out, especially if things became really dire.

[ 16. May 2013, 08:08: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:
quote:
Just as a hen is just the egg’s way of making more eggs so we are just our genetic material’s way of making more genetic material. Some people find that demeaning - tough
So? Why should we give a stuff about our genetic material? Why should Frankenstein's monster give a stuff about Frankenstein? Even Richard Dawkins proclaims our ability to rise above the tyranny of our genes.

[ 16. May 2013, 09:25: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, please, Dafyd. You're rubbish at disingenuousness. You know full well that it's nothing to do with people caring about their genes and everything to do with orgasming feeling nice.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok here's two examples of what I'm struggling to understand.

quote:
I know I AM, utterly, responsible. I know I can't help it.
and

quote:
What made it inevitable.
Is sin unavoidable or isn't it?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Oh, please, Dafyd. You're rubbish at disingenuousness. You know full well that it's nothing to do with people caring about their genes and everything to do with orgasming feeling nice.

Would you like to read the previous posts to find out what the conversation is about before you jump in next time please?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick -

Whence intelligence?

Whence anything, me ol' China???

On this one, we're all in the same boat, so you'll have to put up with my company! No snoring...

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Whence intelligence?

In traditional orthodox Christian theology the answer by the way is not 'intelligence'. At least, not in the sense we normally understand it. The argument from design is a deist argument.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are not fallen anything. What we are is animals with a chance.

Those who talk about the harmony of nature are those who are either blind or have never stepped a foot outside an urban environment. And never seen a cat playing with a mouse or bird or the results of a fox getting in to a henhouse. They also haven't seen population cycles for locusts or lemmings as they eat all their food and rapidly die off.

There are some harmonious predatory cycles - but that's accident as much as anything. The individual actors have nothing to do with this, but we see the stable cycles because the unstable ones don't survive. And the cycles take more than one animal. Any animal with as few natural predators, as varied a diet, and as much endurance and adaptability with humans would have turned most of the world into the Sahara the way we managed to mess up the Fertile Crescent.

But humans have four advantages over other animals that might allow us to regulate ourselves with no need for a predator.

The first is that our brains have the biggest surface area of any animal on earth. Which means we have the greatest processing power and raw ability to think and come up with ideas.

The second is we have highly versatile voice boxes for fast and flexible communication. Bees can describe things by dancing - but (in addition to having tiny brains) can't remotely match that level of detail.

The third is that with the opposible thumb we have one of the most versatile manipulators on the planet. Which means we don't just come up with more ideas than other species and communicate them better, we have far more ability to put them into practice.

The fourth is writing. We can transmit ideas through time and to people we've never met, heard of, or laid eyes on. With just books I have probably absorbed ideas laid out by a thousand or more people before me. With the internet it's probably a million or more (hi Wikipedia!). No other species can come close.

So we can think better than other animals, communicate more richly, implement more effectively, and communicate to people who we're never even going to hear of. Huge advantages and the only reason why we haven't fucked up any more badly than we have. There never was a fall - we are pulling ourselves out of the mud. The question is whether we'll do it successfully and in time. Especially as we're working on a very hacked operating system that was designed for hunter-gathering rather than modern society.

And it's not the Human Tendency To Fuck Things Up. It's the Animal Tendency To Fuck Things Up - despite it all we are still animals. Our only advantage this way is that we can sometimes predict the fuck-ups coming before they reach our senses.

On two sidenotes:

First, altruism for people you can reasonably expect to be altruistic to you when the boot is on the other foot is a good survival strategy. You never know when you are the one who will be down and needing help. The viciousness is directed towards outsiders or those who won't pitch in.

Second, perfection is impossible within the universe - mathematically. (Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle says we can't know everything perfectly, and Chaos Theory says that even little oversights in a complex system will eventually make the thing go spectacularly off balance; normally the errors are much bigger than that). The closest to perfect a human can get is dead. That's when we stop turning food into shit, when we stop breathing a highly reactive gas, and when we stop growing. Growth is very different from perfection.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Justinian
[Overused]

Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does depend on what kind of perfection you are talking about. In some Eastern religions, you might say that the present moment is perfectly itself. Or as Rumi says, 'On a day when the wind is perfect/the sail just needs to open/and the world is full of beauty'.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why would such noble creatures as humans indulge in such mass self-deception, while at the same time living lives of compassion and altruism?

I would defer here to an explanation by an Evolutionary Biologist I think. If the universe, or a species on another planet, were to consider the human and other species, the conclusion might be that it was a fortunate accident that humans were far better at adapting the environment to suit themselves than other species, but why would they consider us 'noble'?
quote:
I suppose the standard answer will be "because of ignorance". But that simply will not do, because if your empirically based methodology is correct, then God was no more available to the billions throughout history who have believed in Him, than to the most sceptical rationalist today.
I don't know if the answer is ignorance, but I would certainly say that there never has been a god available to anyone ever..
quote:
If you then argue: "human weakness and fear", then you call into question the very nobility of humans that you are trying to uphold.
I don't think in terms of nobility, but would uphold the idea that humans have achieved, with their evolved skills, all that they have on their own. No god.
quote:
From the point of view of natural selection, the "God is a human construct" theory makes no sense. According to this viewpoint, the only reason anyone has ever thought or believed anything is in order to enhance his own survival, ...
No there was never a decision to gain such and such a goal, since knowledge of any future state of our species' progress, or survival could not be known before it was reached. Species adapt to changing conditions, or become extinct.
quote:
...because reason itself is merely another function of the human organism, which needs to be explained within the limits of the naturalistic theory of origins. Billions have believed in God, and thus this belief has utility in terms of natural selection.
That sounds as if it's fright (oh dear! [Smile] ) , but I'm sure there must be an atheistic flaw there somewhere!
quote:
If theism is merely a human construct, then so is atheism. In fact, within the philosophy of naturalism, all thoughts are merely human constructs, because the human brain is considered to be the source of reason itself. What we receive from outside the brain are merely sensations, which can only be ordered by means of an internal reason.
I've listened to that several times and I think I agree.
quote:
A far more coherent theory is one which accepts that human thought is a response to objective reality, and this reality has a rational component. To locate the source of reason outside the human mind obviously has profound implications...
But don't agree here, because there is no need for a rational, objective something.

*pause to give brain a rest* Thank you for post, which has certainly made me think!!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Well, if one thinks it's wrong to blame oneself for past wrongs one wouldn't see any evidence for a vicious streak in oneself, would one?

I think it's more a case not so much of blaming oneself, but of not wasting time on regrets for something that cannot be changed rather than taking action to try to correct the wrong that was done.
Yes, I agree that vicious is too strong a word, and that too many people prefer not to think about impending crises of all kinds..
quote:
Now either all of that is down to a small minority who are completely unlike the rest of us; or else most human beings are able to be selfish and arrogant even beyond their best interests.
Yes, I'm afraid so.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Thank you for your thoughtful post and kind comments. It began thus:
quote:
Picking up on that, they had been told not to eat that fruit, and were aware there would be consequences if they did.
Yes, I think I have a very active conscience! [Smile]
I'd also say that although you give credit to becoming a Christian for whatever you did, in fact you did it all yourself.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

... and that post was in response to The Rhythm Methodist...

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
And it's not the Human Tendency To Fuck Things Up. It's the Animal Tendency To Fuck Things Up - despite it all we are still animals. Our only advantage this way is that we can sometimes predict the fuck-ups coming before they reach our senses.

The comparison, reason: animal nature :: rulers: ruled is very deeply embedded in Western culture at least since Plato. And so I am suspicious of this way of thinking. (See Dawkins' chronic elitism for an obvious modern symptom of the underlying syndrome.)
(It has been argued that all psychologies or anthropologies are fundamentally political allegories. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's a lot easier to have an anthropology and policy that symbolise each other than to have two that clash.)
The fundamental point of Augustinian versions of sinfulness is that they place the seat of moral wrongdoing in what is unique to humanity. It undermines that basic ideology of rulership. Calvinism, or hyper-Augustianism, has many problems, but of the available ideologies in Europe it's had the least cosy relationships with the various despotisms.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

HughWillRidMee and Jjustinian
Much nodding in agreement with your posts.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The comparison, reason: animal nature :: rulers: ruled is very deeply embedded in Western culture at least since Plato. And so I am suspicious of this way of thinking. (See Dawkins' chronic elitism for an obvious modern symptom of the underlying syndrome.)
(It has been argued that all psychologies or anthropologies are fundamentally political allegories. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's a lot easier to have an anthropology and policy that symbolise each other than to have two that clash.)
The fundamental point of Augustinian versions of sinfulness is that they place the seat of moral wrongdoing in what is unique to humanity. It undermines that basic ideology of rulership. Calvinism, or hyper-Augustianism, has many problems, but of the available ideologies in Europe it's had the least cosy relationships with the various despotisms.

I'm also puzzled as to how animals fuck things up, since fucking things up is a human meaning, concerning humans, isn't it? I mean, it's not a description of things, but meanings or experiences, isn't it?

There seem to be two vocabularies going on here, one which is broadly scientific, and describes things, and the other which is religious, which describes meanings and experiences. But you can't transfer from one to the other automatically. Relations between things are not the same as relations between meanings. In some ways, humans themselves are meanings, not things.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie John
quote:
Actually if you listen to some evolutionary psychologists they believe the vicious streak is there because it gave evolutionary advantage. In other words we survive because of it, not despite it.

Laurelin
quote:
If evolution does successful rather than good - which seems obvious - then where did the higher notions of morality and altruism originate from? I've seen it argued that altruism developed because it benefits us. Amd yet upthread it was said that we have thrived on the evolution scale because of our vicious streak, not despite it. Where does morality come into this, then? If we have to be vicious in order to survive, to have come as far as we have, why then put a moral angle on the viciousness?

And yet we are appalled, and rightly so, at the scale of the viciousness we are capable of. The Holocaust. The Rwandan genocide. Syria. How the hell is any of THAT remotely justifiable from an evolutionary point of view? The very notion is deeply repugnant.

I agree with the evolutionary biologists that our selfish behaviour is rooted in the process of natural selection, but that is only part of the picture because consciousness has rendered our innate selfishness potentially destructive both of ourselves as individuals and the societies in which we live. The fallacies of Social Darwinism and their application illustrate the point. It could, therefore, be argued that the development of consciousness was associated with the development of a belief that many actions are not morally neutral, and that a desire to “be good”, however defined, is a necessity from the viewpoint of natural selection.

While I can accept that “original sin” can be associated with “innate selfishness” I find that concept has so much historical baggage, especially the concept of “the fall”, that it is probably best set aside. We are not creatures who have fallen from a state of grace, rather we are creatures aspiring to such a condition, or something like it. It is, therefore, difficult to see why our struggle should incur God’s wrath and that we should be condemned for being human.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know things have moved on - I wasn't reading this because I wasn't initially interested - but there is one thing that bothers me about the set-up of the Milgram experiment.

A bunch of guys (they were all men, weren't they - but that is irrelevant) sign up to take part in an experiment at a university. This is the authority that has the effect - not the man in the white coat. They may not have all the inner knowledge to be able to consciously apply the sense that this experiment must have gone through the bid for funding, been passed by an ethics committee, the legal advisers, and whoever managed the insurance situation. They may not have consciously thought it out, but there would have been a part of them that was dominating their behaviour with its belief that this was not real. Their disbelief was suspended, not eliminated. They could not have believed that this was really resulting in death. Not in California.

Had they been in Nazi Germany, Pol Pot's Cambodia, this would not have applied. Had they known about some of the nastier experiments into venereal disease treatment carried out in the States, maybe it would not have applied. But they were in a university lab in a civilised state.

I don't believe the usual conclusions about this experiment can be counted on.

There's enough evidence about nastiness without citing Milgram, anyway.

[ 16. May 2013, 19:31: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm. I feel fallen. Broken. I am. Broken. Certainly. No doubt about it. Clinically. And any connection to any Fall is no longer explanatory for me. Even if it happened. Which until just last year I had an ever lengthening long view on. Now the view is disconnected and I'm trying to mine the metaphor and even that is tearing. I cannot see the Bible as linear, flat any more.

We are unbelievably violent. Terrified and terrifying. Strong and weak. Our strength, co-operation armed with brains, larynxes and thumbs as Justinian said, is our weakness.

It still wouldn't surprise me if we did Fall - materialism is not so after all, but there is no condemnation in that. There can not be. We were catalysed in that if we did. By Satan. Unless he is us projected. I've still got a side bet on him to say the least. The narratives of Jesus include Jesus having a strong narrative of him and his.

Fallen angels. To shy away from these things with modernism dressed up as postmodernism doesn't work. Isn't ... honest. Open.

As for being animals with choice, what choice? I had no choice to go to the bad from two years old. I now 'choose' to accept myself. And Stuart Hazell. Who had no choice either. In failing to reach the bar, hit the mark, to thrive, to transcend, to love, we fall hard. Those of us who think we haven't, don't know how fallen we are.

All we need is love. A LOT of it.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Just as a hen is just the egg’s way of making more eggs so we are just our genetic material’s way of making more genetic material. Some people find that demeaning - tough
So? Why should we give a stuff about our genetic material? Why should Frankenstein's monster give a stuff about Frankenstein? Even Richard Dawkins proclaims our ability to rise above the tyranny of our genes.

On one level (say the physical) we probably don’t give a stuff about our genetic material – we have evolved systems which release chemicals to receptors in the brain at certain times, receptors whose activity we interpret as pleasure, and we like to do the things that lead to the pleasure sensation – sometimes babies are the result.

At another level (call it mental for simplicity) we have evolved a set of automatic reactions which lead to a desire to reproduce.
In common with many other species we feel drawn to large heads with two big eyes in them.
Pre-pubescent girls choose pictures of adults over all others, puberty arrives and the preferred pictures are of babies* - those who both can and want to have children are more likely to pass their genetic traits to future generations than those who can’t or don’t want to do so.
We have an unconcious wish to beat death by passing our genes through future generations (ever heard an audience erupt because their attention is drawn to a woman with seventeen grandchildren), it’s one of those evolved traits that used to be a part of the species’ survival and is now (presumably unconsciously) available for use as a hook for snaring people into religion through promises with no risk of disproval.

Frankenstein’s monster is a character in a book – surely you don’t expect a character in a book to have feelings; on the other hand – maybe you do.

Re Richard Dawkins - are you referring to “We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.”? It’s not the wording you use but it’s all I can find at a quick search. Without the context I’m unsure what he means but, in isolation, it suggests that no other animal is capable of recognising either the fact of genes or the roles they perform; which would be a different interpretation to your post.

*W. Fullard and A. M. Reiling “An investigation of Lorenz’s babyness” Child Development, 50(1976), 915-22.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dafyd: Why should Frankenstein's monster give a stuff about Frankenstein?
Yet he did.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

And we also care about the monster; I suppose we recognize ourselves in him, and in Frankenstein. It reminds me of Nietzsche - after describing the killing of God, he remarks: 'Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?'

Must we ourselves not become god-like, in our apparent possession of nature? Is this a new heaven, or a new hell?

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that we shouldn't beat themselves up, but what about this:

Governments around the world are moving to support austerity economics, policies in the name of "fiscal prudence" are designed to end or reduce support for the poor and vulnerable. Now we can complain all we want about greedy or uncaring politicians, but these politicians are elected by populations. Now there is a dilemma: I think most of us agree that most people are compassionate and decent. But the fact remains, they elect governments that are far from compassionate.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not say they.
We elect governments based on criteria that has nothing to do with competent governing. Oh, we say we do, but the results prove otherwise.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think one of the problems with the fall is the temporal aspect. Once there was purity, then besmirched.

It's the sequence that's difficult, since many people have difficulty in imagining the first state, except of course, those Christians who accept a literal Adam and Eve. Or some people conceive of the innocence of a child, born into a naughty world.

But if you telescope it, then you have the human duality - or one of them - as Paul says, I do not do what I want, but what I hate (rough paraphrase).

This was secularized by Freud, amongst others, to say that it's the unconsciousness of my evil desires which lets me down - make them conscious, don't act them out.

I suppose the difference is that the religious argue that this can only be done with God's help, not via human effort; Freud disagrees.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Dafyd:

At another level (call it mental for simplicity) we have evolved a set of automatic reactions which lead to a desire to reproduce.

You're confusing the question why do people care about the survival of the species with the question why should people care about the survival of the species.

The desire to reproduce is logically distinct from the desire that the species survive. (A small group of animals washed ashore on an isolated island may have descendants that form a new species: in which case, they're reproduced without furthering survival of their own species. Contrariwise, the species can survive without any given member reproducing.)

You're talking as if everyone wants to reproduce. The evidence is that not everyone does so. Or cares about other things more. There's nothing particularly just because we desire to reproduce doesn't mean that we don't desire other things more. Consider a woman who would rather have a career than children. Or more importantly, consider an oil executive who wants to earn lots of money and doesn't care what happens to the world after his death. You're not going to persuade him to change his ways by saying that he has an unconscious wish to perpetuate his genetic material; either he doesn't, or else in him the unconscious wish takes the form of earning money.

quote:
We have an unconcious wish to beat death by passing our genes through future generations (ever heard an audience erupt because their attention is drawn to a woman with seventeen grandchildren)
No, I haven't ever heard an audience erupt because their attention is drawn to a woman with seventeen grandchildren. Happen a lot where you live?
What did they erupt with? Envy? Resentment? Because if the eruption were a result of an unconscious wish to pass on genetic inheritance, a rival's success wouldn't provoke any positive feelings.

quote:
Frankenstein’s monster is a character in a book – surely you don’t expect a character in a book to have feelings; on the other hand – maybe you do.
That's absurdly over-literal.

quote:
Re Richard Dawkins - are you referring to “We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.”? It’s not the wording you use but it’s all I can find at a quick search. Without the context I’m unsure what he means but, in isolation, it suggests that no other animal is capable of recognising either the fact of genes or the roles they perform; which would be a different interpretation to your post.
Yes, that's the quote.
In what way can 'rebel against the tyranny of X' mean merely 'recognise that X exists'?
The Pope's private secretary recognises the fact of the Pope and the function he performs, but we'd hardly describe him on that ground as rebelling against the tyranny of the Pope.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I think one of the problems with the fall is the temporal aspect. Once there was purity, then besmirched.

It's the sequence that's difficult, since many people have difficulty in imagining the first state, except of course, those Christians who accept a literal Adam and Eve. Or some people conceive of the innocence of a child, born into a naughty world.

But if you telescope it, then you have the human duality - or one of them - as Paul says, I do not do what I want, but what I hate (rough paraphrase).

This was secularized by Freud, amongst others, to say that it's the unconsciousness of my evil desires which lets me down - make them conscious, don't act them out.

I suppose the difference is that the religious argue that this can only be done with God's help, not via human effort; Freud disagrees.

One modern view of original sin is that at some point along the evolutionary process, humans developed a conscience. You could say theologically, that that point is what God created a soul for the emerging human being. At that point, humans could rationally decide if something is good or bad. Once free will emerged, humans had responsibility.

So the human creature went from an innocent animal, free from moral choice, to rational animal, able to discern right from wrong.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, I think that's interesting, as both children and animals are (relatively) unconscious, therefore, we tend not to accuse them of crimes and so on.

One of the interesting aspects of the Adam and Eve story is the dawning of consciousness, as they realize they are naked, and God picks up on this of course, 'who told you that you were naked?'

Of course, the serpent also plays on this, with his inducement, 'you will be like God, knowing good and evil'.

This sounds rather Promethean - stealing something from God, which brings benefits (consciousness), but the pain of conscience and shame, and separation from God. Hence, felix culpa, or if you want the full Monty, Melius enim iudicavit de malis benefacere, quam mala nulla esse permittere.

[ 17. May 2013, 22:29: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I think that's interesting, as both children and animals are (relatively) unconscious, therefore, we tend not to accuse them of crimes and so on.

Yet oddly enough many , like myself, look back on our childhoods with a degree of regret as that was the time we either thought or did wickedness .

Our consciousness develop as we grow older . And ,(allowing myself some optimism), maybe it mirrors the consciousness of humanity as whole while matures. Thinking in terms of how barbarity is less of a feature in how humans deal with each other than once it was.

I'm not a Bible literalist yet am quite content with the Adam and Eve story as an explanation of human fallenness.
Also agree with MartinPC where he says LOVE in bucket-loads is what we need.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, there seems to be a paradox about childhood, since we are often nakedly cruel, envious, selfish, and so on, in infancy. I suppose all of this seems unconscious, so we set about educating them in how to treat others better. So when little Jimmy jams his elbow into his little sister's face, our response is quite complicated - we tell him not to, or express annoyance, yet we see it differently from a similar adult action.

--------------------

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are not fallen anything. What we are is animals with a chance.

Speak for yourself mate [Biased]

The closest to perfect a human can get is dead. That's when we stop turning food into shit, when we stop breathing a highly reactive gas, and when we stop growing. Growth is very different from perfection.

Another reason I'm not an atheist - take it to its logical conclusion and you start talking like a right miserable old sod.

Mind you Justinian, you're maybe half way to getting hold of another dimension to the o/p. Christian view isn't just that humanity is fallen - it's the whole of the created order that's lost its pristine sheen. There's a kind of symbiotic interaction between humanity and the earth, which means that how mankind condicts his generic self, impacts the the rest of his environment. Sure, there's a naturalistic dimension to this (no-one pollutes the planet like us humans) but when Paul talked about the ' whole world groaning in the pains of childbirth waiting for sons of God to be revealed' I reckon he had something else in mind other than population explosions, pollution, over-fishing, urrbanisarion and a couple of global wars.

Christianity gives us a good explanation, not only of why the world is why it is, but also why we think there's something wrong with it.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, there seems to be a paradox about childhood, since we are often nakedly cruel, envious, selfish, and so on, in infancy. I suppose all of this seems unconscious, so we set about educating them in how to treat others better. So when little Jimmy jams his elbow into his little sister's face, our response is quite complicated - we tell him not to, or express annoyance, yet we see it differently from a similar adult action.

Because it is different. Small children are not merely un programmed adults. There is behaviour that is literally grown out of as well as taught/experienced out.

BTW, in addition to the behaviours you mention, there can be incredible tenderness, empathy, giving, etc. in an uncomplicated manner not seen in adults.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
The closest to perfect a human can get is dead.

Interesting thought; perfection ahead! [Smile] However, I wonder how people would define perfection, or a perfect person. Anyone who never made a mistake would be so cloyingly good-goody that you'd want to spend only a very short time in his/her company! Perhaps this should be a new topic, but I think it would be such a short one that perhaps there is space for it here!.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

An argument from consequences? When it comes to philosophies being warped by the powerful to support themselves, in my experience there are precisely three camps.

1: Philosophies that are intentionally pro-powerful. (Objectivism springs to mind).

2: Philosophies that can and will be warped however benign they were by intent. See, for example forgiveness being warped into something you must do (and thereby allow the powerful and corrupt to go on longer).

3: Fanatical and inhuman philosophies that essentially preach "No compromise, even in the face of armageddon".

quote:
In short the fundamental point of Augustinian versions of sinfulness is directly and intentionally political? And they deliberately ignore the facts on the ground in favour of political ends? Is my summary there accurate?

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:
[qb] The closest to perfect a human can get is dead. That's when we stop turning food into shit, when we stop breathing a highly reactive gas, and when we stop growing. Growth is very different from perfection.

Another reason I'm not an atheist - take it to its logical conclusion and you start talking like a right miserable old sod.
Or we can look round at the beauty man has wrought. Pick an art gallery. Every single painting in it is imperfect. Even the beautiful ones. I'm preaching a doctrine that says we can grow and explore - and I'm called misreable for it? To me, gloomy is the notion that we will always be held to an impossible standard by the Great Architect of the Universe who managed to make a few mistakes when making this universe. Rather than the notion that we ourselves can improve things.

quote:
Sure, there's a naturalistic dimension to this (no-one pollutes the planet like us humans)
Ah, the humanocentricism.

quote:
but when Paul talked about the ' whole world groaning in the pains of childbirth waiting for sons of God to be revealed' I reckon he had something else in mind other than population explosions, pollution, over-fishing, urrbanisarion and a couple of global wars.
Of course Paul had something else in mind. That's because he was explicitely an evangelist. And selling people that they are sick so they can sell them the cure is textbook.

quote:
Christianity gives us a good explanation, not only of why the world is why it is, but also why we think there's something wrong with it.
So does what I stated. We think there's something wrong with the world because we evolved as hunter gatherers in small tribes.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I think most of us agree that most people are compassionate and decent.

I partially disagree. Most people are compassionate and decent to those of our own that appear within reach of our own senses. But we only have eyes and ears that reach so far. It's hard to know more than a hundred people - fifty million (or three hundred million) is just a statistic.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I wonder how people would define perfection, or a perfect person. Anyone who never made a mistake would be so cloyingly good-goody that you'd want to spend only a very short time in his/her company!

This sounds like the sort of Puritan thinking that makes hell sound a more attractive place than heaven, because everyone who knows how to have a good time will have been sent down...

Seems to me the Puritans have the wrong end of the stick.

Don't you know lots of good people ? But who all fall short of perfection in some way ? A lovely old lady with the annoying habit of bending your ear with all the details of her various aches and pains ? An engaging fellow who you'd like apart from his nasty temper ? A pleasant-looking girl you can't really get to know because of her crippling shyness ? A really interesting guy who just seems totally immune to the idea that he should put himself out for others ? Is perfection not an absence of this sort of flaw ?

Everyone makes mistakes. There are Christians who think Jesus never made a mistake; that seems to me inconsistent with His being human. But this is a character who could say things like "he who has seen me has seen God" and not have people laugh, not be told not to be a pompous twit, but be taken seriously.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now you're making think about the saints that I know--you know, the (mostly) old people whom you look at and think, "Dang, I want to be like that when I get old." The ones who always have time for people, who are kind, who never run out of patience even when you're ready to bite pieces out of the table, who have been through hell in their lives and yet you'd never know it to hear them talk. Yes, they have flaws, but they are about as close to perfect as I ever expect to find in this life, and getting better as the years go on.

And the one thing that I notice about them is how incredibly different from one another they all are. Not a one of them is milk-and-water flavorless blah. They are all of them memorable, but none of them in the same way. They have senses of humor, sometimes gentle, sometimes totally twisted and perverted. If you ask other people about them, their faces light up and they say "Oh, of course I know X! She's awesome" or similar. They are often unpredictable, though totally trustworthy. They figure in the best stories I have to tell about work, church, family...

On the other hand, the cranky, grouchy, perverse people I know (or am) are very much alike. They tend to blend into one another in the memory.

Based on the above, I suspect that an utterly sinless, perfect person would be a) interesting, b) unpredictable, c) strong, d) kind, e) often a delight to be around (unless the force of contrast with myself got too painful). And oddly enough, that is exactly what I see in the Jesus of the Gospels.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You're confusing the question why do people care about the survival of the species with the question why should people care about the survival of the species. In my experience the phrase “why should we” (give a stuff) can mean either “why do we” or "why ought we to” I mistakenly assumed you meant the former. I don’t think that people ought, in isolation, to care about the survival of the species – I think the fact they have no option but to do so – albeit sometimes that need is expressed in a narrow way and sometimes a wider one – removes the option of “ought to”

The desire to reproduce is logically distinct from the desire that the species survive. (A small group of animals washed ashore on an isolated island may have descendants that form a new species: in which case, they're reproduced without furthering survival of their own species. Iguanas don’t consider their species’ needs - but they are furthering the survival of their group by being part of its development to meet new challenges, which may eventually lead to a group which cannot successfully interbreed with those they evolved from. Contrariwise, the species can survive without any given member reproducing.) clearly - the massive amount of frog spawn in my pond may result in one survivor from that wriggling mass reproducing next spring: but were ten to survive they would all attempt to procreate.

You're talking as if everyone wants to reproduce. The evidence is that not everyone does so. given - we know that experience can sometimes over-ride inherited behaviour Or cares about other things more. Yes - people have different value systems There's nothing particularly just because we desire to reproduce doesn't mean that we don't desire other things more. ??? Consider a woman who would rather have a career than children. and consider the many more who try to combine both Or more importantly, consider an oil executive who wants to earn lots of money and doesn't care what happens to the world after his death. Some of those who appear not to care use christianity to justify their disdain You're not going to persuade him to change his ways by saying that he has an unconscious wish to perpetuate his genetic material; either he doesn't, or else in him the unconscious wish takes the form of earning money. I’m not trying to persuade him of anything. Why does he want to earn money? Is it because he perceives (unconsciously perhaps) that having money leads to more opportunities for sexual behaviour? Why do people buy status symbols? A Rolls Royce on Jersey is a ridiculous means of getting about – but there were quite a few around when I last visited.

Christianity seems to encourage certainty/those who crave certainty. Redemption or Damnation - Heaven or Hell - Saved or Unsaved. In real life there is shading.

quote:
We have an unconcious wish to beat death by passing our genes through future generations (ever heard an audience erupt because their attention is drawn to a woman with seventeen grandchildren)No, I haven't ever heard an audience erupt because their attention is drawn to a woman with seventeen grandchildren. Happen a lot where you live? I recall it several times when I had nothing better to do with my time than watch Michael Barrymore working an audience What did they erupt with? Envy? Resentment? Because if the eruption were a result of an unconscious wish to pass on genetic inheritance, a rival's success wouldn't provoke any positive feelings. Clapping, cheering and hollering as though the fact of being a serial grandmother was worthy of acclamation. Actually, some people would see that serial grandmother as a success, as a role model (she has probably secured a comparatively comfortable old-age has she not?) and therefore would have a positive reaction and want to associate with her success. Then there are people who are so competitive that they hate it every time their shadow beats them to the exit.
quote:
Frankenstein’s monster is a character in a book – surely you don’t expect a character in a book to have feelings; on the other hand – maybe you do.That's absurdly over-literal. I failed to understand why you thought the introduction of Frankenstein was relevant - I still do.
quote:
Re Richard Dawkins - are you referring to “We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny of the selfish replicators.”? It’s not the wording you use but it’s all I can find at a quick search. Without the context I’m unsure what he means but, in isolation, it suggests that no other animal is capable of recognising either the fact of genes or the roles they perform; which would be a different interpretation to your post.Yes, that's the quote.
In what way can 'rebel against the tyranny of X' mean merely 'recognise that X exists'?
The Pope's private secretary recognises the fact of the Pope and the function he performs, but we'd hardly describe him on that ground as rebelling against the tyranny of the Pope.
But if he recognises the Pope he has the possibility of choosing to rebel – if he doesn’t know that the Pope exists he doesn’t have that option does he? Do you think that any species other than homo sapiens has the knowledge of its genes' existence, let alone how they use us?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's something unwholesome and desperately sad about a viewpoint that says children are fallen, spoiled, have "sin" in their hearts and need to be redeemed from corruption.

Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware that a child can be a total pain in the ass. I've been driven up the wall by children. But it's just them finding boundaries, learning, developing their personalities and being human. There's nothing about children's behaviour that needs explaining by recourse to stories about Satan.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have to agree George Spigot. But is there anything about Satan stories that needs explaining by recourse to children's behaviour ?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
There's something unwholesome and desperately sad about a viewpoint that says children are fallen, spoiled, have "sin" in their hearts and need to be redeemed from corruption.

The problem of binary logic in classical philosophy - either humankind is by nature good (in which case children must be born pure and perfect before being corrupted by experience) or by nature bad (in which case children are born criminal and have to be educated out of it). Neither of which remotely approaches an adequate description.

Another dificulty is the meaning of "sin". In general the meaning of a word is determined by common usage. If outside the church it means something to do with sex and high-calorie foods, and inside the church it means something to do with being ritually unclean, then there's not going to be much meaningful communication on that topic.

I would use it in the sense of "moral crime" - violation of a Platonic idealised moral law to which all human statutes should approximate. But I guess for clarity in the present discussion we should either not use the word or explain the sense in which we use it.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I don’t think that people ought, in isolation, to care about the survival of the species – I think the fact they have no option but to do so – albeit sometimes that need is expressed in a narrow way and sometimes a wider one – removes the option of “ought to”

quote:
given - we know that experience can sometimes over-ride inherited behaviour
Experience override any inherited behaviour that cares about the survival of the species, and therefore doesn't remove the option of 'ought to'.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whence does the "ought to" come in "we ought to care about the survival of our species." Why? From what moral code or authority or system or theory does this obligation arise?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
quote:
The comparison, reason: animal nature :: rulers: ruled is very deeply embedded in Western culture at least since Plato. And so I am suspicious of this way of thinking.

An argument from consequences? When it comes to philosophies being warped by the powerful to support themselves, in my experience there are precisely three camps.
Precisely three? Not three and a fifth? Not 2.97? Precisely three?
In my experience human philosophies cannot be precisely categorised, and anyone who tries is selling themselves something.
Your camps are sufficiently vague that they could potentially cover any philosophy. Was that your intention? Because if not, you missed:

4: Philosophies that claim they cannot be warped by the powerful to support themselves.

quote:
1: Philosophies that are intentionally pro-powerful. (Objectivism springs to mind).
The point of ideology is that it can be promulgated by people who aren't intentionally pro-ideology. Because they don't recognise that they're unconsciously supporting the dominant ideology even as they try to oppose it at a superficial level. So my contention is that equating the Human Tendency to Fuck up with the Animal Tendency to Fuck up was in its origins a pro-powerful ideology. And it hasn't cut off from its origins: it still supports a pro-powerful ideology regardless of the overt commitments of the people who express it.

So not an argument from consequences, exactly. Anymore than arguing against neo-liberalism on the ground that it produces wide inequalities is an argument from consequences.

quote:
2: Philosophies that can and will be warped however benign they were by intent. (and thereby allow the powerful and corrupt to go on longer).

3: Fanatical and inhuman philosophies that essentially preach "No compromise, even in the face of armageddon".

I would contend that anything that isn't 3 automatically falls into 2. Because people will decide that armageddon is upon us as soon as it suits them.

quote:
quote:
In short the fundamental point of Augustinian versions of sinfulness is directly and intentionally political? And they deliberately ignore the facts on the ground in favour of political ends? Is my summary there accurate?
What do you mean by intentionally here? Are you attributing full transparency of motives to everyone who expresses any kind of ideology? Surely not.
The facts on the ground in this area are not available to us except via interpretation and selection. You're only reached the facts you use to support your position by interpreting and selecting. For example, as quetzalcoatl points out in his post, attributing fuck ups to animals is an attribution of a human meaning that does not directly arise out of the facts. Furthermore, because human cognition is self-reflexive, the theories held about the facts alter the facts. But psychological / anthropological facts are even less directly accessible than political facts. So one way of accessing the psychological accuracy of a philosophy is to ask what kind of political philosophy is produced by any given anthropology.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

quote:
Experience override any inherited behaviour that cares about the survival of the species, and therefore doesn't remove the option of 'ought to'.

Could you clarify please?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Could you clarify please?

The two passages that I quoted from your post contradict each other.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
In my experience human philosophies cannot be precisely categorised, and anyone who tries is selling themselves something.
Your camps are sufficiently vague that they could potentially cover any philosophy. Was that your intention? Because if not, you missed:

4: Philosophies that claim they cannot be warped by the powerful to support themselves.

That's a category error. Whether a philosophy claims it can be warped doesn't say whether it can or not.

quote:
The point of ideology is that it can be promulgated by people who aren't intentionally pro-ideology. Because they don't recognise that they're unconsciously supporting the dominant ideology even as they try to oppose it at a superficial level. So my contention is that equating the Human Tendency to Fuck up with the Animal Tendency to Fuck up was in its origins a pro-powerful ideology.
And I'm asking what your criticism here has to do with the price of tea in China. Or anything else. It's purely a consequence-based argument that doesn't take into account anything about the way things get fucked up or anything other than an indirect outcome of the philosophy.

Demonstrate how the human tendency to fuck up is in most cases actively different from the ways animals fuck up and you might have a point.

quote:
And it hasn't cut off from its origins: it still supports a pro-powerful ideology regardless of the overt commitments of the people who express it.
I trust you reject monotheism on these grounds. And Christianity. After all, Christianity has demonstrably supported the powerful and still does. This is not a solid argument - it's simply a slippery slope argument. And one I'm pretty sure you only very selectively apply.

quote:
So not an argument from consequences, exactly. Anymore than arguing against neo-liberalism on the ground that it produces wide inequalities is an argument from consequences.
Bollocks. Neo-liberalism is an economic system about the allocation of resources.

quote:
I would contend that anything that isn't 3 automatically falls into 2. Because people will decide that armageddon is upon us as soon as it suits them.
Oh, indeed. And that is how my three categories work. And why your "precisely three" snarking cuts no ice.

quote:
quote:
quote:
What do you mean by intentionally here? Are you attributing full transparency of motives to everyone who expresses any kind of ideology? Surely not.
I mean that you literally are not engaging with the premise - that we are animals. Your only argument presented is "That might lead to bad conclusions." Which leads to the idea that truth is utterly irrelevant to your value scale - and you are starting with the outcome you desire and working backwards to the premise.

quote:
For example, as quetzalcoatl points out in his post, attributing fuck ups to animals is an attribution of a human meaning that does not directly arise out of the facts.
A cat gets stuck up a tree that's too far for it to jump down and it can't climb down because its claws curl the wrong way - and this isn't a fuck up. (Few cats know they can climb down backwards). Goats eat the roots and shoots, thus destroying their own food supply - and this isn'[t a fuck up. A mouse doesn't scurry down its hole fast enough and is caught by a cat to be played with mercilessly before being eaten - and this isn't a fuck up.

Right.

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

quote:

Demonstrate how the human tendency to fuck up is in most cases actively different from the ways animals fuck up and you might have a point.

Many animals don't have the intelligence. What makes human stupidity so frustrating, is that at some level we do know better, either individually (St Paul - the good that I wish to do I do not) or collectively.

quote:
Goats eat the roots and shoots, thus destroying their own food supply
And lemmings breed to numbers in excess of the food supply.

If there's an easy explanation - they haven't the capability for abstract reasoning - why look further ?

But humans have the capability to reason. And still do stupidly wrong and wrongly stupid things. That's what seems to call out for explanation. Like the Easter Islanders who cut down all the trees on the island.

Not that "an evil spirit tempted me" is much of an explanation to modern ears...

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:
I certainly do not think we all have a vicious streak or something; there isn't evidence for that is there.
I think there is quite abundant evidence that it is there.
I haven't been here for ages, but IMO this comment deserves the [Overused] of the decade....
Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016