homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Time to re-write the Marriage service? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Time to re-write the Marriage service?
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yes, I thought the same. But who decides the wording?

Of the authorised liturgy? Ultimately Conference. In practice, if we agree to perform same-sex marriages, dealing with the liturgical amendments will be the easy bit.

quote:
I have been doing some Google-fu and found this, which boils down to 'not yet or for quite some time but maybe one day after lots of fannying around'

Here is the link.

quote:
Will Methodist churches or ministers be allowed to conduct same sex marriages?

Methodist ministers and churches will only be allowed to authorise same sex marriages if the Methodist Conference decides that as a denomination we should opt in.

Will the Methodist Church “opt in” to offering same sex marriages?

Givenour position on the definition of marriage, andthe Methodist position that blessings of civil partnerships should not take place on Methodist premises nor be carried out in the name of the Methodist Church, the Methodist Church would not be in a position to “opt in” without a lengthy period of consultation and theological reflection.

That's the official press release on it which those writing it were constrained by our existing position set out in 1993. I think there may be memorials and Notices of Motion coming to Conference this year to try and get some movement on this. There may be interesting times ahead.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016