homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Flirting while Feminist (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Flirting while Feminist
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That somehow I have relaxed into forgetting about whether or not I am doing it right. As Quetzalcoatl says, I get lured into "playing."

That (like everybody has been saying) I should worry less about the outcome and enjoy the process.

[ 31. May 2013, 23:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
One thing that strikes me is that flirting and sex itself are playful. Hence, any grimness or guilt are anathema to them.

In fact, too much analysis, ditto, for as soon as one starts to analyze play, it collapses and withers.

So, how does one play? The question is inane really, as play is spontaneous, and there is no how.

So, can you play with your own sexuality, can you flirt via your sense of humour, can you play with someone else?

I'm not saying it's easy, but it's thinking it's hard that makes it hard (pun intended).

I have never read something I agree with so much in my life. Play is learning, flirting is play geared toward learning about someone you're interested in. (Interesting side note-- in child development, they often call an infant/ toddler's attempts to engage an adult in play "flirting." In this realm obviously it's not sexual at all, it's a way to test out someone's willingness to play back.)

And I'm gonna be real-- I usually suck at flirting. Usually the Queen of Faux Pas. The times I have caught myself somehow miraculously succeeding at it, it has felt like the above.

Interesting stuff about kids. Yes, there's a lot of interplay in their play, and crucial that others play with them. A lot of adults seem to have had it driven out of them, and become grim.

I was very good at flirting, too good really, so I had to dial back as I got older, and learned to be less charming, as it was kind of persona stuff. Well, it's useful, but it can be phoney.

Yes, just saw your last comment - absolutely, play is never about getting it right. So if you set out to flirt with a plan, you are really making it difficult. It's spontaneous; you don't know where you're going, and I suppose that's scary, but also exciting.

[ 01. June 2013, 00:03: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was very good at flirting, too good really, so I had to dial back as I got older, and learned to be less charming, as it was kind of persona stuff. Well, it's useful, but it can be phoney.

Yeah, there's that. Because there's a point where you want the other person to understand you're not just playing.

I guess it's a balance-- don't walk in the door with an attitude that screams "I'm NOT PLAYING!", but let your warmth and playfulness be backed by sincerity. (although I personally would fully accept someone's sincere need to play. Maybe I just want to be more like that...)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just said that, it's also true that people sometimes plan to get someone in bed, and they flirt with them quite deliberately, and in fact, seduce them, and so on, so I suppose this is OK, but maybe a bit mechanical?

In terms of a relationship as well, the crucial thing is, can they also let go of that, (needing to be seductive), and just play, and be spontaneous? Otherwise, their seduction techniques become a bit industrial.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I dunno, we are social in so many ways, I think we need to relearn the joy of simple mammalian sociability and learn to play with our friends just as hard as we play with potential mates. Would make life a lot more joyful for one thing. And facility at run-of-the mill social play is bound to enhance pair-bonding social play.

[ 01. June 2013, 00:12: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Your thing about not getting it right is very good. Reminds me of a great Zen story about the Western guy who got everything right in a monastery, month after month, he passed all the koans. So his teacher started to fail him, and he started to really mess up, and his teacher said, this is Zen. He just wanted the real guy, not some paragon of correctness. He wanted the vulnerability, not the capability. Although, the capability is also good.

I think this applies also to relationships and sex and everything.

Hell, I could write a book about this stuff, and maybe make a million! Just kidding.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Although, the capability is also good.

[practice]God, yes.

quote:
I think this [the koan story]applies also to relationships and sex and everything.

(More seriously) God yes, again.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Good chat. Just off snore snore bye byes, as very late here (London).

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no "Friend Zone". There are just some people who like you without wanting to sleep with you.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
There is no "Friend Zone". There are just some people who like you without wanting to sleep with you.

Exactly. And if you want to sleep with them but they don't want to sleep with you, either accept it and shut up, or move on.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes] What fun are the psychologically balanced?
Come on, keep the fun in disfunctional.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Having just said that, it's also true that people sometimes plan to get someone in bed, and they flirt with them quite deliberately, and in fact, seduce them, and so on, so I suppose this is OK, but maybe a bit mechanical?

Isn't part of the point of the flirting that you're trying to figure out if the other person wants the same as you? If two people are both sending the "I'd like to take you to bed" signal to each other, then they will likely be successful. If X is doing the "trying to get to know you" flirting and receives back the "Ilttytb" signal, then X is fully justified in running away.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's also true that people sometimes plan to get someone in bed, and they flirt with them quite deliberately, and in fact, seduce them, and so on, so I suppose this is OK, but maybe a bit mechanical?.......
...... their seduction techniques become a bit industrial.

I've sometimes wished I was such a person, but I'm not as I usually baulk at the bedroom bit , (mind you kept me out of trouble I guess [Biased] )

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
You can ruin a lot of potentially good sexual relationships by getting to be friends first.

That's presuming one's aim in life is to has a lot of sexual relationships.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Antisocial Alto: There is no "Friend Zone". There are just some people who like you without wanting to sleep with you.
I fully agree with the second part of what you said (and with Mousethief's reply). However, I don't think that this is what the 'Friend Zone' means.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee. I have a blind date with a very hot man tonight. I hope we don't end up in the 'friend zone' - Because yes, I know exactly what that is. But agree - If it's not there, it's just not there.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
If X is doing the "trying to get to know you" flirting and receives back the "Ilttytb" signal, then X is fully justified in running away.

I wouldn't go so far as "running away", but definitely affirming boundaries.

Hal Spark nailed it, it might not be so much "I don't want to go to bed with you as "I don't want to go to bed with you yet."

That's not practical just for potential relationship reasons, but for enjoyable sex reasons-- guys can have a reasonably good time with anyone of either gender who is reasonably attractive and has an adequate orifice, and they can decide about personality compatibility later. Women need to feel a guy out in terms of things like-- oh,responsiveness, reception to feedback, physical acuity (both in terms of respectful physical contact and pleasurable physical contact), generosity, patience, perseverance,and-- I dunno rhythm, I guess.

Cues that tell her how likely it is that she is going to have an orgasm with the guy, to be blunt.

[ 01. June 2013, 16:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The Ship seems to attract decent sorts, mostly. Maybe there are tips and pointers there.

But sex is a very indecent activity.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"Only if you do it right."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The Ship seems to attract decent sorts, mostly. Maybe there are tips and pointers there.

But sex is a very indecent activity.
People who think this and aren't merely joking tend to have very bad marriages.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've come to this thread rather late, but I can't get through the OP without some comment.

The trouble with the Existentialists, IMO (appealing though I've always found them, especially before I was on antidepressants), is that they forget that we humans are NOT beings of infinite potential, but rather embodied. We are objects as well as subjects. There's no getting around that. Our choices are actually quite limited, given our circumstances and, yes, our physical bodies. IMO, it's a reflection of Sartre's privileged socio-economic (and male) status that he can say many of the things that he says.

And your thinking a woman is pretty or ugly actually does not make her so. It doesn't change her a single bit. You don't have that kind of power over her. It may affect your interactions with her. If she notices you looking at her, a lot will still depend on her own cultural milieu, assumptions, self-esteem, etc. That's not to dismiss the reality of double-consciousness, but even double-consciousness can lie sometimes.

I think many of the things you say about the well-dressed woman are the same as with the well-dressed man. Both are projecting their taste, their familiarity with customs and brands and what not, and their physicality. How else do men project power if not by some kind of imposing physical presence? I don't mean muscular, necessarily.

I suspect it's easy for you to see a difference here because you find women sexually attractive but don't think of men in that way. So you read what they're projecting differently. Why is a woman's choice in designer clothing all about showing off her body but a man's is all about showing his good taste? What you're really saying, ISTM, is that you notice the woman's body and the man's clothing, probably because (a) you find women's bodies, but not men's, attractive; and (b) you know men's fashion, but not women's. That's nothing to be ashamed of; it just means you're a straight male.

I suspect you're doing a perfectly good job at being a decent human being and have little to worry about. The fact that you're worrying about it indicates that.

[ 01. June 2013, 20:00: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

I suspect it's easy for you to see a difference here because you find women sexually attractive but don't think of men in that way. So you read what they're projecting differently. Why is a woman's choice in designer clothing all about showing off her body but a man's is all about showing his good taste? What you're really saying, ISTM, is that you notice the woman's body and the man's clothing, probably because (a) you find women's bodies, but not men's, attractive; and (b) you know men's fashion, but not women's. That's nothing to be ashamed of; it just means you're a straight male.

I suspect you're doing a perfectly good job at being a decent human being and have little to worry about. The fact that you're worrying about it indicates that.

[Overused] Very well put.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've come to this thread rather late, but I can't get through the OP without some comment.

The trouble with the Existentialists, IMO (appealing though I've always found them, especially before I was on antidepressants), is that they forget that we humans are NOT beings of infinite potential, but rather embodied. We are objects as well as subjects. There's no getting around that. Our choices are actually quite limited, given our circumstances and, yes, our physical bodies. IMO, it's a reflection of Sartre's privileged socio-economic (and male) status that he can say many of the things that he says.

Which may be why I like de Beauvoir more as an example of contemporary existentialism (as opposed to the Augustine—Kierkegaard strand) as it can be lived and applied. You're right, Sartre does tend to think of human beings as absolutely free agents doing whatever (and whomever) they choose, which is the kind of thing you can only get away with not just as a semi-single member of the patriarchy, but also a phenomenally successful, powerful, and famous one as well. De Beuvoir, on the other hand, realizes that we can't all do that; however, she also realizes that the amount to which our bodies and circumstances are used to limit us is far greater than it has any right to be. There are power structures and rules in our society that serve to oppress, to keep people "in their place;" their time has long since passed. We as a society must decide to tolerate them no longer.

quote:
And your thinking a woman is pretty or ugly actually does not make her so. It doesn't change her a single bit. You don't have that kind of power over her. It may affect your interactions with her. If she notices you looking at her, a lot will still depend on her own cultural milieu, assumptions, self-esteem, etc. That's not to dismiss the reality of double-consciousness, but even double-consciousness can lie sometimes.

I agree with what you say about halfway—I don't think what I think changes anyone in a real and objective way. What I do think, however, is that labels such as "sexy," "hag," "slut," "psycho," "beautiful" are applied by people, and aren't qualities of people until they are judged to be so, until those names and limitations are given by others. Potency is limited by act, and act by potency; by applying a name, a sort of limitation, I am saying that something is a certain thing, with certain qualities, that cannot be anything else. Now, certainly, people have the ability to reject some of the names given to them, or to remove their stigma, but that's not exactly an easy process sometimes. What right do I have to judge another person? Erase the fact that I have the right genetic makeup to be a privileged member of society, one whose judgements are supposedly more logical and objective than others, I'm a human being, equal (or at least no better) to every other person. I have no standing, no authority, to exercise this power to limit others, and yet I'm told I can, that there's nothing wrong with it, that in some cases people even like it. Even compliments seem...well, a bit fraught. Seriously, why do I get to decide if someone else looks good today, is smart, or did something good?

Call it weird (it probably is), call it failure to adjust to our society (wait, why would I want to if I think society is almost certainly irremediably corrupt?), but there it is.

quote:

I think many of the things you say about the well-dressed woman are the same as with the well-dressed man. Both are projecting their taste, their familiarity with customs and brands and what not, and their physicality. How else do men project power if not by some kind of imposing physical presence? I don't mean muscular, necessarily.

Perhaps true, but when was the last time you saw a man in a sundress? Similarly, why do women who sit on corporate boards and run countries generally wear modified versions of what their male compatriots wear? There's something about how the suit jacket and military dress uniform evolved in order to project size, wealth, and a degree of intimidating power that most dresses, no matter how fancy, just don't have. There's also a way in which the stuffed suits on the slew of general government hangers-on you find in DC tend to work to hide or modify the body of the wearer—padded shoulders, layers of cloth, high collars—rather than follow it or emphasize its shape. Now, granted, DC has been jokingly called "Hollywood for Ugly People," so perhaps my best sample has a couple issues; after all, people who work for sometimes conservative and conformist institutions don't often have issues with a conservative institutional conformity. Also granted, there are a few fashion trends among the more insufferable breed of hipster (which, coming from me, is either slightly rich or tells you how insufferable it really is), like the ultra-skinny jeans that let you tell a man's religion, that certainly don't fit this general pattern.

But the other point is that my being a hetero male (among many other things) colors my perspective. That I agree with, and I'm not at all happy about it. I know that there is no neutral perspective from which to approach a problem, that every person comes to a problem with their own background, history, and sackfull of societal and personal baggage, but that also doesn't mean that I have to like it. I'd rather like the ability to see things from the perspective of others, to empathize genuinely with their situations and, maybe, even work in some way to fix the truly horrible and ghastly problems of human existence. Not that I expect it'll amount to much—go find a newspaper to find a very, very short sampling of what today's were—but even I sometimes wish I could hope that things might get better. It won't if I'm stuck with my own viewpoint, concerned only with what I know and see, and with what is expected of me as a heterosexual man by our broken society. So the fact that you see things so differently than me makes me wonder if I'm still just as blind as I ever was, despite trying to fix this.
quote:

Thanks, but I'd like to be a much better one.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, you've nuanced that a bit better for me. I get what you mean about the way we name things and people. And it's a powerful thing in the Hebrew Scriptures, as we know.

Part of what colored my response is a completely different issue: being mentally ill. In my group therapy this week, people were talking about the stigma, and their perceptions that people read them as mentally ill and judge them for it. In that case, there's a disease affecting the very organ we're using to tell whether people are judging us or not, so feeling that they are might be completely fabricated by our own brains - or it might be spot-on. But part of the therapeutic response seems to be just to refuse to accept the labels, and to refuse to believe they're even being applied to you. For someone like me (and I suspect like you), that's highly unsatisfying; I want to argue, "But wait - it might actually, objectively be the case that someone realizes I'm mentally ill and/or is judging me for it! How can I play this mind game of convincing myself that a very real possibility isn't possible?" But in a way, just as naming or labeling an other has a real impact, I think choosing to reject those labels is a powerful step toward dismantling them. As the therapist said the other night, about our own thoughts toward ourselves and our perceptions of others', "That's just one opinion!"

Interestingly, when I was younger - an untreated bipolar, working-class, female, philosophy major - I related to a lot of what Sartre was saying, and definitely felt myself to be "de trop."* I think that was part of my illness - not just the feeling, which is clearly part of depression, but resisting being forced into anything that might define me in any way. I still struggle with that a bit, and it doesn't help that US culture is permeated with the atomistic view of the individual. And, perhaps thanks to my illness, I also still don't feel at home in my body. It doesn't match at all with how I perceive myself in my mind, if that makes sense. I'm getting better with that, but still have a long ways to go. Getting older, gaining weight (thanks, psych meds!), and collecting some injuries and scars are pretty good ways of getting back into your body, though. It's hard to feel yourself free and de trop when you can no longer squeeze through tight spaces and you feel your own weight in your sore, tired feet!

[*translation note: I don't know how Sartre's "de trop" is normally translated into English; I always read it as basically meaning "superfluous." Literally, it means "too much."]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

Oh, but I should add that I don't see us as arguing against each other here!

quote:
Ariston wrote:
Perhaps true, but when was the last time you saw a man in a sundress? Similarly, why do women who sit on corporate boards and run countries generally wear modified versions of what their male compatriots wear? There's something about how the suit jacket and military dress uniform evolved in order to project size, wealth, and a degree of intimidating power that most dresses, no matter how fancy, just don't have. There's also a way in which the stuffed suits on the slew of general government hangers-on you find in DC tend to work to hide or modify the body of the wearer—padded shoulders, layers of cloth, high collars—rather than follow it or emphasize its shape. Now, granted, DC has been jokingly called "Hollywood for Ugly People," so perhaps my best sample has a couple issues; after all, people who work for sometimes conservative and conformist institutions don't often have issues with a conservative institutional conformity. Also granted, there are a few fashion trends among the more insufferable breed of hipster (which, coming from me, is either slightly rich or tells you how insufferable it really is), like the ultra-skinny jeans that let you tell a man's religion, that certainly don't fit this general pattern.

Oh, I've seen a few men in sundresses. And other varieties of gender-transgressive dress, and there should be much more of that! [Big Grin]

But sundresses are considered casual attire.

The idea that men's clothing is somehow less tailored to the male physique than women's clothing is to the female physique, though, is easily dismissed once you see women trying to fit into the cassocks on supply at any given church. The male physique—and I suspect this is a point you'll definitely agree with—is still seen as the "norm" from which the female physique departs. But the female physique really requires different clothing. When I was young, and underweight, I could wear men's clothing and it fit me fine. Now I don't even look good in many t-shirts (which are cut for male bodies even when they're supposedly gender-neutral), because in order to get one large enough to fit around my hips, I have to buy one that's too large in the shoulders and so long it could be a dress. Women's clothing designs favor young, skinny women - but men's clothing favors young, skinny men. The power suit loses its power once a guy can't button it around his beer gut. By then, though, the guy's clout and actual status are supposed to have kicked in, making the power suit unnecessary. If that hasn't happened, the guy just looks like an old slob. All of that has to do with judging the male physique.

I'm not saying your point is wrong; I'm just investigating it with you, from my own perspective.

There is, of course, the whole other issue of the way successful women are still judged by their clothes. There's a double-standard there, because women are judged if they dress in ways that make them stand out (since men in the board room or Oval Office tend to wear more conforming outfits), but they're judged if they wear clothes that don't flaunt their femininity. Personally, I get past this by not being successful. (I'm only half-joking on that; I don't aspire to the kind of success that would put me in those predicaments.) Also I get past this by not caring at all.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
quote:

Isn't part of the point of the flirting that you're trying to figure out if the other person wants the same as you? If two people are both sending the "I'd like to take you to bed" signal to each other, then they will likely be successful. If X is doing the "trying to get to know you" flirting and receives back the "Ilttytb" signal, then X is fully justified in running away.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. There are people who are freaked out by being wanted, so want to make love to someone who doesn't really want them. So they might run away, if the other one shows interest; and they might get turned on if they don't. Well, there are lots of permutations of this, so I won't go through them. There is also the issue of power - do you want power over, or do you want to be disempowered? Or do you feel like alternating? Or do you pretend? Or are you a democrat? Oh boy, human sexuality is more complicated than a baboon's bum.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

For some of us, the purpose of flirting is simply to prove to yourself that you can talk to the opposite sex in a relaxed, fun way without throwing up or making a complete ass of yourself.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How would that be different from a normal conversation then ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's not practical just for potential relationship reasons, but for enjoyable sex reasons-- guys can have a reasonably good time with anyone of either gender who is reasonably attractive and has an adequate orifice, and they can decide about personality compatibility later.

And as we all know, overtly sexist stereotyping is perfectly fine as long as it is about men... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:
For some of us, the purpose of flirting is simply to prove to yourself that you can talk to the opposite sex in a relaxed, fun way without throwing up or making a complete ass of yourself.

How would that be different from a normal conversation then?
Kelly rather seems to be saying that she cannot entertain a normal conversation with men. The only verbal interaction she can have with men that is neither vomitous nor embarrassing is pre-sexual banter. That sort of deep hang-up is more up your professional alley, as man who does not particularly identify as talking dildo I'd rather reach for one of my longer barge poles there...

Anyway, I guess we are sort of done with the trials and tribulations of the feminist male. How about we discuss those of the masculinist female now? Any takers?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink: How would that be different from a normal conversation then ?
Are you asking for the difference between normal conversation and flirting? Surely that's obvious. Flirting is more playful, and there is some indirect communication going on on a sexual/relationship level.

quote:
IngoB: Kelly rather seems to be saying that she cannot entertain a normal conversation with men. The only verbal interaction she can have with men that is neither vomitous nor embarrassing is pre-sexual banter.
I cannot speak for Kelly, but this assertion seems rather weird.

My impression is that there are people who are single because whenever they meet someone they are attracted to, they clamp shut. Either from a fear of rejection, or from not knowing what to say, or whatever. I guess that flirting with people from time to time, even if you wouldn't be interested in pursuing a relationship with them, could be seen as some kind of excercise for this moment.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Kelly rather seems to be saying that she cannot entertain a normal conversation with men. The only verbal interaction she can have with men that is neither vomitous nor embarrassing is pre-sexual banter. That sort of deep hang-up is more up your professional alley, as man who does not particularly identify as talking dildo I'd rather reach for one of my longer barge poles there...

Anyway, I guess we are sort of done with the trials and tribulations of the feminist male. How about we discuss those of the masculinist female now? Any takers?

That is indeed a bizarre reading of Kelly's statement.
Masclinist female? Oh, you mean shut it and get back in the kitchen.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, but I should add that I don't see us as arguing against each other here!

quote:
Ariston wrote:
Blah blah blah...

Oh, I've seen a few men in sundresses. And other varieties of gender-transgressive dress, and there should be much more of that! [Big Grin]

But sundresses are considered casual attire.

The idea that men's clothing is somehow less tailored to the male physique than women's clothing is to the female physique, though, is easily dismissed once you see women trying to fit into the cassocks on supply at any given church. The male physique—and I suspect this is a point you'll definitely agree with—is still seen as the "norm" from which the female physique departs. But the female physique really requires different clothing. When I was young, and underweight, I could wear men's clothing and it fit me fine. Now I don't even look good in many t-shirts (which are cut for male bodies even when they're supposedly gender-neutral), because in order to get one large enough to fit around my hips, I have to buy one that's too large in the shoulders and so long it could be a dress. Women's clothing designs favor young, skinny women - but men's clothing favors young, skinny men. The power suit loses its power once a guy can't button it around his beer gut. By then, though, the guy's clout and actual status are supposed to have kicked in, making the power suit unnecessary. If that hasn't happened, the guy just looks like an old slob. All of that has to do with judging the male physique.

I'm not saying your point is wrong; I'm just investigating it with you, from my own perspective.

There is, of course, the whole other issue of the way successful women are still judged by their clothes. There's a double-standard there, because women are judged if they dress in ways that make them stand out (since men in the board room or Oval Office tend to wear more conforming outfits), but they're judged if they wear clothes that don't flaunt their femininity. Personally, I get past this by not being successful. (I'm only half-joking on that; I don't aspire to the kind of success that would put me in those predicaments.) Also I get past this by not caring at all.

Yeah, there are pictures floating around on the Internet of me in a miniskirt, along with an Oxford blue hoodie perfectly chosen to clash with it horribly. The kinda scary thing is that I can almost pull it off.

I also agree that much of this is a sign of male normatively. Now, while I'm sure someone will be along shortly to remind us all that women shouldn't be wearing cassocks in the first place and that t-shirts aren't proper attire, they're not here yet. However, if you really want to talk about clothing being made with a certain body image and gender stereotype in mind, you should try working at a bike shop. Want pants that fit your waist? They'll be seven inches too long, since they're only meant to fit pro cyclists, apparently. Want clothes that fit your female body? You get your choice of pink, purple, or pale blue, while men get black, more black, and pro team/brewery sponsors.* Never mind that many cyclists tend to revel in their transgressive hippie eco freak self-image, or that bicycling and feminism have long gone together. No, if you want to see the pretty/powerful dynamic at work, go find a cycle trail.

As for the power suit losing its power on the fat slob—you would think that would be true, but we still associate plutocrats with a certain sort of obesity, If you're an older man with a gut stuffed into a custom suit, you must have earned that fat through long nights of drinking fine Scotch with your partners, expense-account dinners, and time spent in the smoke-filled room. There's a reason the term "fat cat" exists, and why, whenever a newspaper cartoonist needs to depict the wealthy and powerful, they're always shown as a fat man with a cigar. If you're rich and powerful enough, the signs of your self-indulgence become a mark of your status, rather than a stigma to be overcome.

As for your post just above that one, dealing with names, stigmas, and mental illness—well, is it really any wonder that everyone's ex girlfriend was psychotic or crazy? Not because of anything you could look up in the DSM-IV or V, mind you; she just did things that made no sense to you, therefore, cray-cray. Not to make too many bold statements in one post or anything, but people are weird, regardless of gender. None of us will ever make sense to anyone else—and, if you ever do think you've figured someone out completely, it probably means that at least one of you is either delusional or boring. Probably both. So, to deal with the fact that we had our differences with someone else, but of course we weren't wrong, they must have been (because someone has to be wrong, right?), the psycho label gets trotted out. And that one's a pretty hard one to refute and reject once it sticks, just because it works its way into your head, telling you that your own ways and means of evaluating situations are flawed, that you can't possibly say "I'm not crazy!" because a crazy person wouldn't be able to tell if they were, would they? When you're stuck with no frame of reference but your own, it's really, really hard to shake off labels that imply your whole way of dealing with dividing and labeling reality is flawed.

*Well, and safety chartreuse, stop-sign red, and escaped convict orange, but those colors are, as best I can tell, meant to be so hideous that everyone gives you a nice wide berth to keep from being associated with the moving aesthetic blight you've become...which, dare I say it, is kind of the point.
**As for "de trop," "too much" does sound rather Sartrean and anxty, so I suspect it's the best translation; however, "overflowing" would probably reference Heidegger, Husserl, and all the phenomenologists he's ripping off without admitting it (because, after all, you already know all about them, right?).

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

How so? I assume her "for some of us" includes herself. Next, if you need X to prove Y to yourself, it is reasonable to assume that you are not getting Y otherwise, or at least certainly not with any regularity and ease. In this case X is flirting, and Y is talking to the opposite sex (in an enjoyable way). So what is "bizarre" about my conclusions, and what do you suggest as a more sensible reading?

quote:

Possibly. We will have to wait for any actual masculinist female to tell us. You do agree however that a world where feminist males are appreciated widely (though apparently not to the point of getting laid much) but masculinist females are little heard of, is lacking somewhat in gender balance?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So people with social anxiety who fight past it and attempt conversation despite it, at the risk of making some nervous faux-pas, should be avoided?

Nervousness around the opposite sex is a "deep hang-up"?

Boy, am I really the only one?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Possibly. We will have to wait for any actual masculinist female to tell us. You do agree however that a world where feminist males are appreciated widely (though apparently not to the point of getting laid much) but masculinist females are little heard of, is lacking somewhat in gender balance?
We haven't heard much about masculinist females because it's a term you've just invented, and presumably, if it means anything, it means women in a patriarchal culture who support the status quo. I gather they are not exactly uncommon. I'm not sure that you can say they're "appreciated" - they're simply doing/ thinking / beleiving what is expected of them in that culture.

[ 04. June 2013, 21:54: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Doublethink: How would that be different from a normal conversation then ?
Are you asking for the difference between normal conversation and flirting? Surely that's obvious. Flirting is more playful, and there is some indirect communication going on on a sexual/relationship level.

quote:
IngoB: Kelly rather seems to be saying that she cannot entertain a normal conversation with men. The only verbal interaction she can have with men that is neither vomitous nor embarrassing is pre-sexual banter.
I cannot speak for Kelly, but this assertion seems rather weird.

My impression is that there are people who are single because whenever they meet someone they are attracted to, they clamp shut. Either from a fear of rejection, or from not knowing what to say, or whatever. I guess that flirting with people from time to time, even if you wouldn't be interested in pursuing a relationship with them, could be seen as some kind of excercise for this moment.

Thank you. And my whole conversation with quetzalcoatl was me processing through all that. It makes it a lot easier to think that flirting is a way of maintaining rapport with people of the opposite sex, regardless of the outcome, than of thinking of it as something with a win-or-lose goal.

And Ingo B, as someone who feels she has taken many opportunities to give you the benefit of the doubt, even when it is VERY difficult to do so, it saddens me that you would reach for the unkindest interpretation of what I said. It seems like you really had to work to turn my flip comment into that piece of ugliness.

(also, general [Overused] 's for QLib, Ariston, and Churchgeek.)

[ 04. June 2013, 22:21: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, now I get it, it's about percieved sexism on my part
quote:

That's not practical just for potential relationship reasons, but for enjoyable sex reasons-- guys can have a reasonably good time with anyone of either gender who is reasonably attractive and has an adequate orifice, and they can decide about personality compatibility later.

IngoB responded with this:

quote:
And as we all know, overtly sexist stereotyping is perfectly fine as long as it is about men... [Roll Eyes]

Note I used the word "can" twice, not "do." I'm sure different men make different choices in that regard. From a physiological standpoint, I stand by my statement-- as indeed, the comment stemmed for another about "people who are flirting strictly to asses sexual readiness," therefore for guys who are in that mode, the criteria does not need to include deep analysis into personality.

I'm saying, even for a woman who might be interested in a simple fling, unless she is the kind of biological wonder that exists only in the wishful-thinking world of porn, and can get off with zero foreplay in 2 minutes, she's going to have to asses a lot more than looks or economic status to figure out if she's tapped someone with the potential to be a satisfying sex partner. Therefore, the wait.

Here's the weird thing-- I remember other discussions in which Ingo made very similar statements himself-- statements like "a man can enjoy sex on the same level as enjoying a tasty meal." and "it's the difference between penetrating and being penetrated" so I am not sure why the sudden outrage at me, well, basically saying stuff he's said before-- that men tend to have less of a problem with casual sex than women do.

I was just floating the idea that it's less "Guys are cold-hearted cads" and more "Women have to make sure it's worth it." Which is pro-guy, if you think about it.

[ 04. June 2013, 23:01: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am confused. I don't see how the first step in dealing with social anxiety, would be flirting practice. It would seem to make things even more difficult. Whereas what you described, having a fun relaxed conversation with a bloke, sounded to me like what I would describe as a friendly conversation - rather than flirting. I would have thought a friendly conversation would be a good first step in trying to overcome social anxiety.

On the other hand, I am crap at flirting - indeed I am not sure I have ever knowingly done so. My confusion about this, may be a causal fact in that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nah, it would be about the third or fourth step. But if your problem area is the transitional area between casual banter and more directed conversation, then practice-flirts with people who are just good at flirting can help with developmental "scaffolding." [Big Grin] (This is my theory, only slightly practiced.)

So, Step 1: Getting into situations where you can talk comfortable with the opposite sex

Step 2: Figuring who among that crowd are big old flirts.

Step 3. Follow their lead-- a bit.

Step 4. Next time someone flirts with you, take a deep breath and attempt a return -flirt.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's the weird thing-- I remember other discussions in which Ingo made very similar statements himself-- statements like "a man can enjoy sex on the same level as enjoying a tasty meal." and "it's the difference between penetrating and being penetrated" so I am not sure why the sudden outrage at me, well, basically saying stuff he's said before-- that men tend to have less of a problem with casual sex than women do.

I remember the tasty meal statement as well. Maybe the word "feminist" is just the red flag eliciting IngoB's bull.

quote:
I was just floating the idea that it's less "Guys are cold-hearted cads" and more "Women have to make sure it's worth it." Which is pro-guy, if you think about it.
I don't know about "have to," but seems like women are more likely to have a longer list of things that indicate it's going to be worth it. But I think there are more men out there who have similar lists than our sexist culture would have us think.

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Picking up women at bars for sex is an inherently objectifying activity. Or so I hear. *shrug*

Having both recently broken up with boyfriends, a friend and I will in the near future be getting dressed up and going out to some of our town's nicer watering holes. If my tight red dress does what I bought it to do, I won't feel like someone objectified me because he responded to my deliberate attempts to attract a new sexual partner.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I remember the tasty meal statement as well. Maybe the word "feminist" is just the red flag eliciting IngoB's bull.

(shrug) If I wanted to give myself the kind of permission to make assessments about his personality that he did mine, I would wonder if he simply had a problem with the idea that women consider sex in terms of their own pleasure.

quote:
I don't know about "have to," but seems like women are more likely to have a longer list of things that indicate it's going to be worth it. But I think there are more men out there who have similar lists than our sexist culture would have us think.

Part 1. Yeah, I dropped the qualifying words in that one, "Might have to" would be better. Part 2. Damn straight, I've met them.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink: I would have thought a friendly conversation would be a good first step in trying to overcome social anxiety.
I agree. And I guess this would be Kelly's step 1.

quote:
Kelly Alves: So, Step 1: Getting into situations where you can talk comfortable with the opposite sex

Step 2: Figuring who among that crowd are big old flirts.

Step 3. Follow their lead-- a bit.

Step 4. Next time someone flirts with you, take a deep breath and attempt a return -flirt.

Step 5. When you tried this a couple of times and feel comfortable with it, next time you're the one who starts flirting [Biased]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(breaks into sweat just thinking about it.)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

One step at the time... [Biased]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

How so? I assume her "for some of us" includes herself. Next, if you need X to prove Y to yourself, it is reasonable to assume that you are not getting Y otherwise, or at least certainly not with any regularity and ease. In this case X is flirting, and Y is talking to the opposite sex (in an enjoyable way). So what is "bizarre" about my conclusions, and what do you suggest as a more sensible reading?
I read that flirting can help her reduce her anxieties. You read that flirting is her sole interface with men. Had she said this was the only way she can relate to men, you would have a point. Your statement fails to see the human side and, ISTM, RuthW might be correct in her Red Flag comment.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

3 cheers also for the tight red skirt comment by RuthW. There's an awful lot of pomposity talked about objectification of people, as if it's not OK to want to look attractive, and find someone else attractive. It doesn't mean that you're a stone age cave-dweller, that you like looking at a woman, as well as talking to her. Why not do both?

I just remembered one of the ways of dealing with the anxiety aroused by flirting, and the whole sexual encounter thingy, which is to say 'I feel anxious about this'. In some ways, this can be very flirtatious, as it pays the other person the compliment of being emotionally open and vulnerable.

[ 05. June 2013, 08:42: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
quetzalcoatl: I just remembered one of the ways of dealing with the anxiety aroused by flirting, and the whole sexual encounter thingy, which is to say 'I feel anxious about this'.
Alternatively, I'd suggest something along the lines of "This sucker isn't going to stand a chance" [Biased]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
quetzalcoatl: I just remembered one of the ways of dealing with the anxiety aroused by flirting, and the whole sexual encounter thingy, which is to say 'I feel anxious about this'.
Alternatively, I'd suggest something along the lines of "This sucker isn't going to stand a chance" [Biased]
If you mean actually saying that to a prospective sexual partner, that is certainly charismatic and vivacious. Whether it would work, I don't know. It reminds me a bit of 'I'm going to marry you and have lots of kids', which seems to be used by some people to good effect, but maybe not on a Saturday night in the 'Slug and Lettuce'.

Incidentally, humour is a notorious lubricant in these situations. Well, not notorious really, just effective.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IngoB

The italicised sentence crosses the Commandment 3 guideline. You moved from critical comment on a post to derogatory speculation on the personal psychology of a Shipmate.

No more of that in Purgatory.

And for all Shipmates (including Crew posting as Shipmates)

I suggest you re-read Purgatory Guideline 4.

Barnabas62
Puergatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
3 cheers also for the tight red skirt comment by RuthW. There's an awful lot of pomposity talked about objectification of people, as if it's not OK to want to look attractive, and find someone else attractive. It doesn't mean that you're a stone age cave-dweller, that you like looking at a woman, as well as talking to her. Why not do both?

But, and maybe this is something I've been having trouble expressing, why should physical attractiveness matter at all? I mean, I get that it does. Thank you, I've seen the fashion mags when I'm at the grocery store, I've read pickup artist blogs which all seem to believe any hot woman can be exchanged for any other one with impunity, I get that physical attractiveness is The Really Important Thing.

But charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, no?

Make excuses about supposed evolutionary imperatives and neurobiological reasons reasons all you like, excuses that quite frankly won't survive a bit of serious thought, much less peer review, you're also reducing human beings to irrational agents with no control over themselves. I'm not comfortable with that concept of human nature, and I rather suspect I'm not the only one.

The absolute, indeniable fact is that every human being, without exception, is a child of God, created in imitation of the divine likeness, a being who can never be reduced to something to be used or enjoyed as a means any person's selfish ends, but must always be treated as a member of the kingdom of ends unto themselves, a being whose dignity is, without exception, inviolable. Sure, we humans are extremely good at cooking up excuses and ways to get around this; sometimes we even believe them. Sometimes we even like to create different classes of humans, use any difference we can find to split, separate, and deny what is owed under the moral law. This is unacceptable. No matter how we twist logic and words, no matter what pathetic excuses we make, there is only one humanity, only one moral law.

So fine, it may be enjoyable to ogle someone, to indulge in the lust of the eyes. You may get a thrill out of it. But is it right?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016