homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Horses for courses?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Horses for courses?
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today at language school, here in Nairobi our teacher had a copy of an Alpha course manual on her desk. Alpha is definitely worldwide but I had questions about using it here without considerable revision....
Now quite a few years ago I led a series of Alpha courses. I wasn't happy with quite a lot of the content but I loved the format, when it was done with integrity: welcoming, hospitable and allowing real exploration and discussion. Enabling enquirers to explore the Christian Faith is something that really floats my boat but I have yet to find a course which in both approach and content is something which I'd be comfortable using. I've read about some courses online but I'd like to know your own experiences/ recommendations and also your opinions about the value of such courses at all!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read some of the online Alpha course material on their web site because our church is running a course in September. I thought it was full of fallacies: circular reasoning, straw men, false dichotomies and polemical arguments. It would be chewed to pieces in this forum- possibly followed by a Hell Call for Nicky Gumbel?

I would not be comfortable sitting through it yet alone inviting a postmodern thinking type to it. I thought about a 'Beta Course' alternative to it, but haven’t got the time or energy just now. I even thought about asking our Shipmates what they thought such a course might look like but didn’t get round to that either. I would love to hear what other think this might look like.

[Spell check doesn't catch all typos]

[ 03. June 2013, 14:41: Message edited by: The Midge ]

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

wishandaprayer
Shipmate
# 17673

- Posted      Profile for wishandaprayer   Email wishandaprayer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
I would love to hear what other think this might look like.

Something like this. [Big Grin]
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wishandaprayer:
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
I would love to hear what other think this might look like.

Something like this. [Big Grin]
1998 eh? There is nothing new under the sun.

Pitty they (SofF)didn't run with it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a couple of similar-in-format alternatives I've heard of:

"Emmaus" for those who find Alpha too evangelical
"Christianity Explored" for those who find Alpha not-evangelical-enough...

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
There are a couple of similar-in-format alternatives I've heard of:

"Emmaus" for those who find Alpha too evangelical
"Christianity Explored" for those who find Alpha not-evangelical-enough...

I was thinking more on the line of cracking open a few beers and watching The Blues Brothers followed up by a discussion about being called into a mission from God.

I don't think anyone would listen if I suggested Emmaus, but might if I said that Alpha wasn't evangelical enough [Eek!]

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried an Alpha Course in Dublin in the mid-90s. Lovely, caring people who ran it. However, there wasn't a sense of real exploration or question asking, and the 'proofs' of certain tenets of Christian belief left much to be desired.Jesus' deity was pretty much settled with some quotes from the Fourth Gospel with no real discussion or debate. From what I can gather, that is fairly typical.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How the "Holy Spirit Weekend" bit is handled can either make or break an Alpha Course in my limited experience. I went to one where everyone was expecting more than actually happened and the whole thing strained credulity. A friend of mine went on one that had a calmer, more meditative HSW and it did actually make him (an agnostic) think more deeply about it all.
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've done Living the Questions and a small group are studying LtQ II. Currently up to 'The Myth of Redemptive Violence'. Great for Progressive theology, maybe not for anyone who's found Alpha helpful.

In our Alpha days years ago, someone talked about the possibility of an Omega course, but I don't think it came to anything. I've heard that Emmaeus (doesn't look right?) was okay.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your responses so far, I've not had experience of some of your suggestions so food for thought.
I'm also at a place where I want something bigger/ wider/ deeper/ more mystical (can't think of the right word)than the classic evangelical approach.
I'm also thinking that perhaps the way any course is handled is just as important as the actual content itself.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't inspired by it either, in fact I had some great day dreams. I thought it would be more explorative, perhaps discussing contemporary issues through a Christian perspective

Being stuffed full of food is great, but not so good for the required concentration afterwards

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016