homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coronation service: Saying something? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Coronation service: Saying something?
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Queen celebrated 60 years in a special service today.

It was noteworthy for its omission of any Free Church participation in leading the worship.

Even the Lutherans got a show in.

Were the Methodists, Baptists, URC and the like deliberately ignored?

or am I being over-sensitive?

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep - all the usual suspects out in force including public schoolboys singing the praise of the queen. Did normal children from a state school get a look in?

It would be VERY interesting to see who was on the guest list.

Didn't say anything to me I'm afraid except to remind me that the old power structures in our nation are still as powerful as ever. But then again we do seem to suspend all our critical faculties when it comes to the inhabitants of Buckingham Palace. You always know when it's time for a dose of them because the news readers adopt a "silly grin" attitude and a patronising tone.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So you missed the procession then that brought the oil to the altar? A girl scout, 2 primary school kids, a nurse, a lollypop lady, a sailor, a judge and a couple of chelsea pensioner.

No ordinary people there then.

[ 04. June 2013, 18:12: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And as I understand it, the queens Guide carrying the flask of oil at the beginning of that procession is in training as a Methodist Preacher.

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't the guy from Norn Iron a Presbyterian? Doesn't that make him as non-con?

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
shamwari: The Queen celebrated 60 years in a special service today.
There are a lot of jokes in the Netherlands involving imaginary conversations between King Willem-Alexander (whose mother abdicated) and Prince Charles.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
shamwari: The Queen celebrated 60 years in a special service today.
There are a lot of jokes in the Netherlands involving imaginary conversations between King Willem-Alexander (whose mother abdicated) and Prince Charles.
Private Eye currently has a serial on Charles' desperation for his mother to abdicate. He keeps hearing the second half of news articles on someone abdicating and getting his hopes up.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a cartoon in one of the papers recently. HMQ is shown reading a paper with the headline "Queen Beatrix to retire" and underneath, the simple word "Wuss".

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as a matter of interest, ExclamationMark, how many chips do you have on each shoulder?

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
So you missed the procession then that brought the oil to the altar? A girl scout, 2 primary school kids, a nurse, a lollypop lady, a sailor, a judge and a couple of chelsea pensioner.

What's a lollypop lady?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
Just as a matter of interest, ExclamationMark, how many chips do you have on each shoulder?

After two thousand some posts, you perhaps have heard that personal attacks belong in Hell.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

What's a lollypop lady?
A lollypop lady (sometimes a lollypop man) is a person who crosses children over the road to get to and from school. Very often they are pensioners.

Like This

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
What's a lollypop lady?

A person who stops cars so that children going to and from school can cross the road.
Here are some pictures of them. What are yours called?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Called a school crossing guard here.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Enough to fill a chip shop. Being a fenman I do have more shoulders than most, and broader ones at that (able to fit more chips on). I have to say, though, that the extra heads associated with said shoulders were removed soon after birth.
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:

MF, you're one of the last I'd want to wind up but my previous hyperbole aside - about 8 out of 2000? That makes it 0.4%. (Surely you can't count the Judge - they're about as establishment and old school as you can get).

It would've been a brilliant idea if the school choir had not been that of Westminster School but a state school instead. I'd have loved it if one of the Army Corps bands (Salvation that is), and songsters were doing it. Now that would be a message!

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

I agree entirely. I often wonder what it would be like if there were a school choir or a salvation Army band (instead of the military) but I suppose the Dean would not be happy with non-Anglicans actually providing the worship.

In any case, if there were a school choir from "Dump Street Country Primary" singing 'One More Step Along the World I Go', would it be acceptable to all the sniffy music buffs who would turn up their noses at anything that wasn't of the content and calibre of what we witnessed.

It wasn't so long ago that, following the Royal wedding, there were people here on the ship bemoaning the fact that the Abbey Choir had sung a Rutter song.

I think we're happy to listen to 'posh boys' singing their high falutin' tunes - at least we know what we'll get.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

... and further to that; once you open it up to a Salvation Army songster brigade (choir) the next 'equality and diversity' demand will be that at the next Royal church service we'll have to have the local gay men's chorus singing Diamonds Are a Girls' Best Friend and Brian May doing a rendition of Killer Queen with George Michael [Biased] (!)

[ 05. June 2013, 08:02: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
I think we're happy to listen to 'posh boys' singing their high falutin' tunes - at least we know what we'll get.

Yes the same old, same old class divisions repeated ad nauseam.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

I do have to say, however, that class is perhaps something that the left like to keep going so they can bash people with it. After all, there really is nothing to stop any school starting up a choir that will sing Parry and Vaughan Williams, is there? It is the Left however who will say that even the music is too posh and therefore keep themselves out of the culture where these things are valued.

I'm not posh and I certainly appreciated the music in the service.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do have to say, however, that class is perhaps something that the left like to keep going so they can bash people with it. After all, there really is nothing to stop any school starting up a choir that will sing Parry and Vaughan Williams, is there? It is the Left however who will say that even the music is too posh and therefore keep themselves out of the culture where these things are valued.

I'm not posh and I certainly appreciated the music in the service.

Will you please identify people that could be said to be of the Left, rather than simply stating "the Left".

You do this far too often and I'm afraid it devalues rather than strengthens any point you are trying to make. Then again, you might get a cheap thrill out of vilifying the Left, rather as I do out of being rude about golf.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Bit sensitive aren't we? It's not as if I invented the term. The Left, the Elite, the Establishment, the Homeless, the Right...

It's just a figure of speech used to identify an attitude, a position, a group.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bit sensitive aren't we? It's not as if I invented the term. The Left, the Elite, the Establishment, the Homeless, the Right...

It's just a figure of speech used to identify an attitude, a position, a group.

True, but it's a very boring figure of speech, and I thought you might want to be taken seriously. We are in Purgatory after all after all.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I think if EM can get away with the rather vague 'class divisions', then Mudfrog can with 'The Left'. Sauce for the goose and all that...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

I promise that I will try to write in a more exciting way in future [Smile]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Exclamation Mark & Mudfrog

The 'posh boys' were the scholars from Westminster School: that is, they are the boys who have won free academic tuition.

They shout the vivats in I was glad because they are the people who the composer, Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, wrote it for.

And he wrote it for the scholars because they were more likely to be bright boys from ordinary backgrounds who were at Westminster by virtue of their academic prowess rather than parental wealth.

So you can BOTH remove your chip(s)!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

The 'posh boys' were the scholars from Westminster School: that is, they are the boys who have won free academic tuition.

They shout the vivats in I was glad because they are the people who the composer, Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, wrote it for.

And he wrote it for the scholars because they were more likely to be bright boys from ordinary backgrounds who were at Westminster by virtue of their academic prowess rather than parental wealth.

It's fine - I have no issue with so-called 'class'; it's Mark I was replying to and I did put 'posh' in quotes in reflection of his attitude.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:

Please see my response to Pre Cambrian up thread - there's still space for a few more chips yet!
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

So, now you've had a few answers, how would you answer your own question? I'd be very surprized if there wasn't an almost clinically representative spread of people, faith, occupation and denomination at this bash, as there usually is at all these shindigs.

Exclamation Mark, I agree with you about the tone of the news commentators. Though I suppose on such an occasion - a royal celebration - they're very unlikely to sit there sneering and sniping. It does seem more logical they'll find good things to say.

I'm sure most of us would rather have our achievements highlighted in public by people who weren't apathetic and/or our worst enemies. Fun as that would be for those who hate us!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought I was pretty clear above about keeping the personal attacks in Hell, no? Keep ignoring rulings and more trouble will indubitably occur.

Gwai
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've got a whole bundle of french fries with that

When oh when are they going to pronounce the Latin correctly? They make 'Vivat Regina' sound like an out of order toilet [Mad]

Grrr.......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say over-sensitive. In the procession was not just the Chair of the Methodist Conference but also the leader of the Free Church Group*, a Lutheran as co-President of CTE does lead a prayer and I am pretty sure Lutheran counts as historic Free churches. We have also a Free Church person from Wales, Moderator of the Church of Scotland and a hymn by a Reformed pastor to send people out with.

Jengie

*Free Church group is the successor group to the Free Church Federal Council (which I think took over from the Board of Deputies), which is the body that works as an over arching group for Non-Conformist Protestants.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does Stephen consider "correct" Latin pronunciation?"More Romano" - how it is done by modern Italians? "Reformed Classical" invented by scholars in the late 19th century? Or as commonly done by lawyers and presiding officers of CofE synods etc ?
Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None of which answers my question.

Those who led the service (including the intercessions) were all of the "established" Church and no Free Church ( Non Conformists) were included.

I dont see where the Lutherans ( who were included) fit in.

You can argue till the cows come home that Lollypop Ladies and Scouters etc were included in the service.

But the fact remains that Free Church leaders were excommunicated from any role in the leadership of worship.

Typical of the "effortless superiority of the Anglican communion" that they were excluded.

And this " effortless superiority" is what annoys and frustrates those of us who desire Union at a time when society is against all "religion".

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest... I struggle with this stuff.

Firstly, I'm a republican who would happily do away with the monarchy in a resolutely non-killy and, secondly, there's something about the image of the House of Windsor congratulating itself that makes me feel a bit ill. It's all very resolutely high church and it feels at those moments like God is very far away, hopefully with some poor people who need Him a lot more.

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Douglas, despite being high church/Anglo-Catholic myself (but also anti-monarchy), I feel much the same way.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

... But the fact remains that Free Church leaders were excommunicated from any role in the leadership of worship.

Um, no. There were no excommunications performed at that service. I think perhaps you mean 'excluded', and even that is not the same as 'not included'.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jade. I have to stress that it very much is the non-killy kind, but I can't see, or maybe don't have the spiritual maturity to find God in those big state occasions when it seems that so much is there from the secular world that religious considerations are secondary.

I read a piece some years ago by a Catholic journalist who went to pray in a small church in Rome, early in the morning, before his working day. He smiled at the old gentleman who walked past his pew and then realised with shock that it was Pop John Paul II in 'civilian' clothes, there by himself for whatever reason.

That's the kind of rite that draws me in - small, quiet and intimate.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Those who led the service (including the intercessions) were all of the "established" Church and no Free Church ( Non Conformists) were included.

That's because your assumption is simply wrong. T

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DouglasTheOtter:
To be honest... I struggle with this stuff.

Firstly, I'm a republican who would happily do away with the monarchy in a resolutely non-killy and, secondly, there's something about the image of the House of Windsor congratulating itself that makes me feel a bit ill. It's all very resolutely high church and it feels at those moments like God is very far away, hopefully with some poor people who need Him a lot more.

It might make poor people who are also monarchists very contented though?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So a state church led a state event.

Sounds normal enough.

And a wide range of society including other denominations invited to attend.

As a chapel girl I am happy to let the parish clergy worry about the Mayor's Civic service and such like. I don't feel done out of leading these events.

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Queen celebrated 60 years in a special service today.

It was noteworthy for its omission of any Free Church participation in leading the worship.

Even the Lutherans got a show in.

I would notice such a tendency also ... After all, there are also autonomous Christian denominations that accept no Teachings but Jesus':

Quakers and other Anabaptists, the TwelveTribes and other religious and devotional communities.

None who cleave to the Covenant should be left out, I think.

But as we all notice, conventionalism seems to rule.

EEWC

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
[QUOTE]Exclamation Mark, I agree with you about the tone of the news commentators. Though I suppose on such an occasion - a royal celebration - they're very unlikely to sit there sneering and sniping. It does seem more logical they'll find good things to say.

That's true but does have it have to be so smug and twee? The newsreaders dont adopt the same kind of attitude for other feel good stories in my observation.
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading through this thread with a bit of a sigh I'm just piping in to say that I would have loved the service to have included 'One More Step Along the World I Go.' It wouldn't need to have been sung by a choir from a state primary school ('Ooh look! Here are the common children singing one of their own songs!')--it could have been sung by the congregation, or, fabulously by the combined choirs of the Abbey and the Chapel Royal. It would have been gorgeous and a hoot.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

The problem with a state church is that 'smug and twee' are almost a default setting. Power gets entrenched, there are sundry things that you don't need to worry about and everyone ends up getting a little bit too comfortable.

As to the newsreaders being smug and twee as well, I guess they're walking on thin ice. If it's felt they're not showing enough reverence to the occasion, then they'll get complaints that they're cocking a snook at the monarchy and the state church, so it's probably simpler to 'twee up' for the occasion and get it over with. Insight and hard reporting has to wait for another occasion.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
[QUOTE]Exclamation Mark, I agree with you about the tone of the news commentators. Though I suppose on such an occasion - a royal celebration - they're very unlikely to sit there sneering and sniping. It does seem more logical they'll find good things to say.

That's true but does have it have to be so smug and twee? The newsreaders dont adopt the same kind of attitude for other feel good stories in my observation.
You'd have to take that up with the individual newsreaders involved. I presume they are given a line to follow and make up their own script. Personally I hate the commentators' comments over most of these occasions. They rarely add anything to my viewing pleasure! Especially if they speak over the music.

Douglas the Otter, you may not like state religious occasions, which is your choice, of course. I'm guessing the Queen probably doesn't have that choice. Being head of state and of the state religion. However, I believe she does have a sincere and lifelong Christian belief, by which she lives her life. So I think it's very likely that whatever unreligious thoughts were going through the minds of the spectating public, there probably was real worship and thanksgiving (and probably a lot of sad reflection) going on in hers. It's even possible a few others at the service where actually worshipping God, too. Who knows.

It's not everyone's cup of tea that kind of horse and pony show. But the service, I presume, was an official and national religious observance of a significant royal event. Hard to see 'small, quiet and intimate' being on the cards here.

And your example of Pope John Paul II's private (though obviously still public) prayer time means very little. I certainly recall he had one or two rather larger events in his diary, featuring much more in the way of massive public adulation, media frenzy, and church pomp, than anything Her Maj could imagine facing in a day's work. Now if he had had his enthronement as a 'small, quiet and intimate' affair, or any of his main public appearances, you might've had a real point to make!

But I wouldn't expect a Pope to be enthroned or make major public appearances in a 'small, quiet and intimate' way, any more than I would expect a monarch to officially celebrate and offer thanks for sixty years reign in that fashion.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Folks, this was a worship service of the Church of England to celebrate and give thanks for 60 years of dedicated and devoted service by the person who has inherited (she didn't ask for it) the role of that Church's Supreme Governor. Why shouldn't that Church lead the worship? Many of us found it moving. Just lay off, will you!

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the fact remains that Free Church leaders were excommunicated from any role in the leadership of worship.

Typical of the "effortless superiority of the Anglican communion" that they were excluded.

And this " effortless superiority" is what annoys and frustrates those of us who desire Union at a time when society is against all "religion".

The Free Churches are also pretty good at effortless superiority, usually along the lines that their structure/words etc are truly democratic/prophetic etc because unlike the benighted CofE they are free to do their own thing free of the shackles of The State. Until they feel they weren't given a sufficiently Big Part in a Big State Do, when they chuck their principles out of their prams along with their toys.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Free Churches are also pretty good at effortless superiority, usually along the lines that their structure/words etc are truly democratic/prophetic etc because unlike the benighted CofE they are free to do their own thing free of the shackles of The State. Until they feel they weren't given a sufficiently Big Part in a Big State Do, when they chuck their principles out of their prams along with their toys.

Funny you should say that. Pretty much what I was thinking, particularly the italicised bit. Status-consciousness doesn't really fit the nonco ancestral mold. Not does the desire for that kind of recognition.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

On what basis were the Lutherans included?

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016