homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Enlightened or deceived? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Enlightened or deceived?
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Susan Doris says, 'I am quite sure that ...'. Just more of the usual dogmatism, really.

Mild response: Not dogma, because atheists do not have a set of principles laid down by an authority.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Susan Doris says, 'I am quite sure that ...'. Just more of the usual dogmatism, really.

Mild response: Not dogma, because atheists do not have a set of principles laid down by an authority.
But surely 'I am sure that ...' just is a dogmatic statement.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rafin:
I don't know he's present. And i don't know he listens. I don't even know if i'm present anymore [Smile]

Rafin, welcome to the Mystery and the Mess.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I have come to after reading all this is:

Some people want a final authority (eg a Pope) so they go the Catholic route, to be safe.

... Bnd some people want to feel they can INTUIT subjective authority more based in Justice than based in dogma ... so called "Free Will" and not need to be ordered around nor told what to do.

I don't believe in Free Will, actually. I believe personal actions are measured against what would occur (the outcome that would arise) if we were to act "Justly and Fairly," as seen from the perspective of the Just Will of God.

How do we stack up relative to His Will? ... is the question on the table, based on what WE DO, how we behave, compared to what He would do.

In this comparison, I think the future of our very Soul exists ... it seems to me.

There is NO Free Lunch and Creation is not just a cosmic Plaything.

As it says in the 3 laws of thermodynamics:
1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even. And
3. They won't let you quit the Game.

45 87 99 [Smile]

[ 15. June 2013, 23:08: Message edited by: Emily Windsor-Cragg ]

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Rafin
Apprentice
# 17713

- Posted      Profile for Rafin   Email Rafin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thanks for the replies again. Lots of great stuff posted and gave me some food for thought.

My questions of the devil were not because he is on the top of my list of beliefs, i don't believe in the devil. My question was pertaining to the idea that the devil was created by the NT and didn't really appear in the OT, at least not in the same incarnation. I just think it is a huge leap in the story to have left that out for so long before Christianity started.

I still feel truth is subjective, and so is reality. No matter how many facts or how much evidence you can put in front of a person, they will usually continue to believe what they believe and try and find ways to support it. I think thats a good thing. Why should we all have to believe the same thing anyway?

Sometimes i watch the animals in my back yard and wonder what life without expectations would be like. I'd imagine they don't really expect anything from life. They just seem to seize it. I just see life anymore as a chance to exist. It comes with no guarantees. Once you are born, you automatically become part of the story in some way. Maybe we just get too worried about how big of a role our character has to play in it. I don't really care what page my character shows up on, i'm still trying to find out who the hell he is in the first place.

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016