homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paschal Penguin 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Paschal Penguin 2013
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness, Santa's barely packed his sack away for another year and booked his summer holiday, but already Lent looms on the horizon and the Paschal Penguin is unruffling his feathers and waddling to the fore.

For those of you who are new to this, the Paschal Penguin is a friendly fellow who helps spread a little Easter-tide cheer between shipmates. If you wish to sign up to this year's exchange, you will need to send an email or PM to me, Smudgie, Penguin-keeper extraordinaire, detailing your postal address and any allergies or dislikes which might affect your delight at receiving a little surprise Easter gift. You might also mention whether financial/logistical contraints would affect where in the world you would be willing to send a gift to.

After a reasonable amount of signing-up time, I will gather together all the information and the penguin will randomly match the shipmates involved. Then I will contact you with the details of someone else who has signed up. Your task is to put together a little parcel of treats, to the maximum value of five UK pounds and send it (preferably anonymously, though this is a little tricky with customs labels, of course) to the person you've been allocated.

You should aim for your parcel to arrive on their doorstep around Easter, but definitely by Pentecost at the very very latest.

Your details will, in turn, be passed to a similarly kind and generous shipmate who will organise a surprise parcel to come winging its way to you, hopefully also by Pentecost at the very very latest!

So, let the fun begin!

[ 05. February 2013, 16:37: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in - PM on its way.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me please - pm coming up.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please - PM sent

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in - PM to follow

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
...preferably anonymously, though this is a little tricky with customs labels, of course...

The last time I participated (several years ago), I just used "Paschal Penguin" as my return address and on the customs forms. The person at the Post Office probably thought it was a Mexican name or something!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah! I am in too. Please. Just the thing to cheer us all up in the post Christmas doldrums.

I send my gifts from Paschal Penguin too, or my initials, depending on my mood. I add my post code and my friendly neighbourhood Post master has never commented. He has raised his eye-brows, but never said a word!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one time I got raised eyebrows from my mail carrier was when a Secret Santa gift came addressed to "Pigwidgeon." If he asked, I was going to say that was my dog's name.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motherboard and JB signing up.

PM to follow.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gatecrashing the PP thread with a big thank you to my second santa who sent me a lovely notebook, bookmark and chocolate which arrived yesterday.

And, using the thread for its intended purpose, I would like to sign up for PP please - I'll be happy to settle for just one gift like the rest of you [Big Grin]

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the penguin. Me too, please!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh... Definitely! Pm incoming

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll give it a try. The last time I received nothing.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please, Paschal Penguin! I'd like to join in.

PM about to be sent.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Messages received so far from:

St Everild,
Heavenly Anarchist
cheesymarzipan
St Gwladys
Elaine C
JB
Motherboard
Cottontail
Mrs Shrew
Pete C
Dormouse
Smudgie

I don't seem to have details yet for:
Pigwidgeon (are you playing or were you just being helpful?)
The Weeder
Adrienne

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've pm'd you as well.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Sorry, yes, you're on my "have received a message from" list, but I had a senior moment whilst typing it up [Biased] Please forgive me.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... I had a senior moment whilst typing it up

and I had a senior moment between posting I wanted to take part and sending you a mail, sorry [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! PM on the way.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smarty Pants
unregistered

- Posted            Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ooh, pick me, pick me! this looks like fun!
i think ill play!

IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My secret santa came! I'm sooo happy I'm off to PM her right now to say thank you! To my joy it contained hot chocolate, two decorations which are now hung on the bouquets for the wedding, chocolate and orange tea, snow and all wrapped up in some awesome material!

I'm now mentally bouncing about the room!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Sorry, yes, you're on my "have received a message from" list, but I had a senior moment whilst typing it up [Biased] Please forgive me.

When I saw my name wasn't on the list, I assumed I'd had a senior moment and forgotten to pm! I'm always pleased to realise other people have senior moments too!
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I *think* I've pm'd you too, but I'll send the details again in case it was a figment of my imagination.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have pm'd you too, but I am not on your list of those who have!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please my I play? Have sent a pm!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Updated list, and this time I'm fairly confident I haven't missed anyone (though doubtless I'll be proved wrong):

St Everild,
Heavenly Anarchist
cheesymarzipan
St Gwladys
Elaine C
JB
Motherboard
Cottontail
Mrs Shrew
Pete C
Dormouse
Smudgie
The Weeder
Adrienne
Earwig
Campbellite
Smartypants [Biased]
Kingsfold
Sophs
North East Quine
Gussie
Lyda Rose

So, Pigwidgeon, are you going to play?

And who else would like to join us? It's a lovely bit of Easter fun.

With Easter on 31st March, I'll keep this open until 24th February, then try and get the matching done that following week so that you have a month to get those gifts and pop them in the post. So if you know someone who normally likes to play along, or a newcomer who might like to share a bit of Easter joy with a fellow shipmate (and get a surprise parcel in return!), then give them an elbow in the ribs now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We visitd a rtaher nice supermarket today, so I have, potentially, bought mt Paschal Penguin gifts. All I now hope is that a) they tie in with my recipient's likes and dislikes and b) that I can keep them out of reach of the cat.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a nice way to refer to your husband, St.G?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in!

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kasra
Shipmate
# 10631

- Posted      Profile for Kasra   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! K x

--------------------
Can you spare $13.10 to help find a cure for Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma? http://pages.teamintraining.org/ne/kc12/cburberqb8#home

Posts: 309 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Is that a nice way to refer to your husband, St.G?

[Big Grin]

As Darllenwr is diabetic, he's got to be a bit more careful than the cat - also, he knows that the goodies are to be consigned to a passing penguin. (He'll get some goodies of his own on Easter Sunday) Actually, it's the wrappings that the cat is after - any paper or cardboard boxes left lying around get bitten and chewed by a certain small cat. We do feed the cat, honest!

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

I am sure you do feed your cat, St.G. But as all cat lovers know, they prefer the inedible. An Abby who once lived with us made a valient attempt at a hot water bottle. We were amazed at he much he managed to eat. He did not manage to digest any of it. That was how we knew who had eaten it, and let the others off the hook.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, believe Sandemaniac will be too. PM to be done this evening once I can check with him!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder: An Abby who once lived with us made a valient attempt at a hot water bottle.
Safadin is an Abby..

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder: An Abby who once lived with us made a valient attempt at a hot water bottle.
Safadin is an Abby..
Say no more....

--------------------
Still missing the gator

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! PM on the way.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Fun! I'm in! Will send PM
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too - PMing ASAP

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Updated updated list:

St Everild,
Heavenly Anarchist
cheesymarzipan
St Gwladys
Elaine C
JB
Motherboard
Cottontail
Mrs Shrew
Pete C
Dormouse
Smudgie
The Weeder
Adrienne
Earwig
Campbellite
Smartypants [Biased]
Kingsfold
Sophs
North East Quine
Gussie
Lyda Rose
Qoheleth
Emendator Liturgia
Kasra
Belle Ringer
Churchgeek

Still awaiting confirmation and contact details from Sandemaniac and Celtic Knotweed.

Let me know if I've missed anyone, won't you?

With Easter on 31st March, I'll keep this open until 24th February, then try and get the matching done that following week so that you have a month to get those gifts and pop them in the post. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Two days to go. Any more for any more?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PM got sent at lunchbreak on 20 Feb.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

CK, you two have been added to my database but I just thought I would wait for anyone else before I posted the final list. Final list we now have, however. I shall do the matching tonight and start distributing information through the remainder of the week. Watch those inboxes (and make sure they have space!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The penguin's been busy playing with an online random name picker and is now sitting looking very pleased with himself as his secretary devotes her evening to sending out the results of his matchings. Hopefully everybody has a PM in their inbox this evening - I hope you're all happy with who you've got.

(If you really are unhappy - for example you've sent that person a present three years running already - then let me know a.s.a.p)

A reminder, with the exception of one person who's been given a specific deadline, can you all aim to get your gifts into the post so that they have time to arrive before Easter? And the spending limit is the equivalent of five pounds sterling. If there is any problem with sending your gift, then the sooner I know, the better.

Right, get organised, get choosing, get sending, and start watching the post [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I too late? I e-mailed you just now, Smudgie. Jumping up and down in anxiety. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Likewise........

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PM box full, so sent emil

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Honestly, you two, there's always one... and this time there's always two. At least. [Disappointed]

And as for you, Rowen, you're a fine one - your PM box is full too! Watch your emails for incoming. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016