homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nunc's Big UK Adventure 2013

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nunc's Big UK Adventure 2013
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So looks like I am finally getting over to the "green and pleasant land" this year.

I will be flying into Manchester on 31st July, and will be chaplain at the Gladstone Library in Hawarden in Wales from 1st August to 1st September.

I'll then be making my way to London to stay from 1st - 5th September when I fly home.

In the time I'm over, I would LOVE to meet up with shipmates who have been only avatars with quirky personalities expressed in their writing over the past 12 years I've been involved with the Ship.

While at the library I have some freedom during the days, though I have to be back most nights. I will get one night off a week - so I can stay somewhere overnight if the opportunity arises.

So is anyone up for a meet? or two, or three?

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius & I are always up for a meet in London, if the dates etc. fit.

It would be great to meet you!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Memememememememememememememeeeeeeeeeeee [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chester meet, sometime in August?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could definitely meet in Chester, or Hawarden. Or why not Liverpool?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, no trip to Scotland? [Frown]
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would love to meet up when you're in London Town

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc

If you arrive at a reasonable hour of the day, and you have no one to meet you at Manchester then let me recommend as a relaxed way of getting to Chester that you take the train that goes via Stockport. Direct is not a word you'd apply to this train, it heads South East, then turns west to tour the northern scenic parts of Cheshire before arriving in Chester.

It is slow, meandering and the small British railway line functioning how they did before Beeching; last time I went I was surprised they no longer pick up milk churns. For someone wanting something quintessential soft rural England, the exact opposite of high powered jet flight, this is it.

If you are in a hurry, it is late at night or even if it is raining, there are quicker and more efficient ways even by train of getting to Chester from Manchester Airport.

Jengie

[ 12. April 2013, 14:57: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that the one that goes through Delamere Forest? I've never worked out which route it takes on the Manchester side, but Delamere station is a treat. The cafe on the platform has been up for sale for over a year but last time I visited was still doing a roaring trade in bacon butties and home-made cakes.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The route is as follows:

Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Navigation Road, Altrincham, Hale, Ashley, Mobberley, Knutsford, Plumley, Lostock Gralam, Northwich, Greenbank, Cuddington, Delamere, Mouldsworth and Chester.

So yes.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooo.... Me!!! Chester meet is always good for me.

I shall keep an eye on this.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Perhaps we could have a shipmeet in the station caff at Delamere! Though Chester might be more practical. Or even Hawarden: there are some good pubs there.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Library itself has a Jolly Good tearoom...I'm up for this too. As I'm based in the north midlands Chester Manchester etc would be good. Ish.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOooooh! That would be awesome. We could get to Chester.
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could be up for a London meet. [Smile]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Put me down for Chester.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to be in Chester for a weekend in August so if you decide to meet the weekend I'm in town, I may be able to join you.

[ 14. April 2013, 15:25: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in for a London Meet too.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London... first week of September looks good.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London is good for me.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in for Chester (or Liverpool or thereabouts).

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh wow, that's great news. (Did you know about it from Chorister's post here a while back or did you know about the Library anyway?)

Am def up for a London meet. But have been wanting to visit the Library for a while. This could be a good excuse. Hmm......

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your replies folks!

Looks like two meets would be good: one in Chester, one in London in that first week of September.

I found out about the library from one of my lecturers at college, who goes over every couple of years. I thought it sounded like a fine way to spend annual leave.

Shall I start threads for both meets?

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Nunc

If you arrive at a reasonable hour of the day, and you have no one to meet you at Manchester then let me recommend as a relaxed way of getting to Chester that you take the train that goes via Stockport. Direct is not a word you'd apply to this train, it heads South East, then turns west to tour the northern scenic parts of Cheshire before arriving in Chester.

It is slow, meandering and the small British railway line functioning how they did before Beeching; last time I went I was surprised they no longer pick up milk churns. For someone wanting something quintessential soft rural England, the exact opposite of high powered jet flight, this is it.

If you are in a hurry, it is late at night or even if it is raining, there are quicker and more efficient ways even by train of getting to Chester from Manchester Airport.

Jengie

Thanks for the advice, Jengie. I think transport from Chester to the library is being arranged for me... But I will keep your suggestion in mind.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeping this thread live as Meets are yet to be arranged and we really don't want to have to go through the whole business again.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just seen this thread - Chester is a possible for Darllenwr and I at a push - would depend on the date and time.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

Hello folks! I am fighting the jetlag; touched down in Manchester 5 hrs ago...

Looking forward to meeting some of you while I'm in the green and pleasant land.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! [Yipee]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Waves...have a great stay. I have posted on the other thread...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016