homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gracious rebel hoping to visit NZ in October

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Gracious rebel hoping to visit NZ in October
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been talking to my son via Skype, trying to find out how much longer he expects to be staying in NZ (Christchurch) where he's been working for the past year or so. It seems he wants to move on about the end of October, so its hit me that if I ever want to visit NZ, now is the best time, to combine a visit with him and an opportunity to see the country! Which is rather exciting.

Since its winter over there at present, I felt that if I left it till the last minute (ie October) would be the best chance of better weather etc, so the tentative plans are to go for 2 weeks (or bit more) in the early part of October (he has given me a deadline of Oct 25th after which he cannot guarantee that he will still be there).

He is happy to put me up for some of the time, but cannot spend a lot of time showing me the country (apart from at weekends) as he will be at work, and he says I need to get away from the Christchurch environs to make the most of the trip. So I see myself spending part of the time staying with him in Christchurch, and the rest touring around to see as much as I can in the time available, as its likely to be a once in a lifetime trip for me. One big caveat - I will be on a fairly tight budget, so looking for affordable accommodation/means of transport etc, and I realise this is likely to impact on how far I can travel/what I can see and do.

So I thought some of you here may have some suggestions of what I should try and include in the trip. And if any NZ Shipmates will be around in early October and would be interested in meeting up and/or showing me some of your part of the country, I'd love to hear from you! Also I would be grateful for recommendations of cheap places to stay, and thoughts on whether I should hire a car or use public transport etc etc.

Look forward to hear your thoughts and ideas. I haven't booked the flights yet, so dates are a bit flexible at present.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our eldest daughter married a Kiwi and they now live in the far north of North Island where he is a parish priest. We visited them last year. My advice would be to do less well rather than trying to do too much.
Budget wise: there are hostels and back packer buses or there chains of holiday camps which we used such as Top ten.

We visited some of the big tourist places like Queenstown, Rotorua etc and they were fun but actually my favourite experiences were things like the drive back to catch the ferry from Picton where the swirling mists in the sound were magical and walking on the glorious deserted beaches in the far north.

And the seafood and the beautiful wine!

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.
[Smile]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As part of your visit to Christchurch do try to catch a day trip on the train through the Southern Alps. It is worth the rather long day (Train leaves Christchurch around 8 am, arrives around noon, you get about 90 minutes at the terminus in the west (more than enough time for lunch) and then the trip back arriving around 6:30

PM Huia for details -she lives there and would know things like whether the train is still running.

Personally, if the train to Picton is still on, take the train to Picton and the ferry to Wellington. The overnight at Travelodge NZ is very reasonable and there are even a few shippies in Wellington. Travelodge NZ is NOT attached to the Travelodge in the UK. If you have time and money take the train to Auckland and stay overnight. Auckland is no great shakes, but the train trip there and back is really excellent eye candy. Be warned the the trip takes at least 12 hours one way, and there may be delays (derailments of freight trains, etc) But they get buses ordered up really quickly and you are not that delayed. And the views are just as good.

From the above, you may guess that I am a fan of the railways. Food is available on trains, but you can also pack your own lunches.

Hotels in NZ usually come with a kitchenette in the room (dead useful) and you can buy supplies and make your own meals for travel days.

From Pete, who remembers his once-in-a-lifetime- but-wishes-he-could-go-again trip in the late summer (hah!) of January, 2011.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might expect me to say this ... but perhaps the Christchurch tram will be running by then.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to NZ a few times. I loved Christchurch but I'm not sure what it's like now as a result of the earthquakes and the resultant uncertainty in the region, although I guess your son is on top of this Huia may be along to provide more info, as she resides in Christchurch.

I second Pete's suggestion of the tranzalpine railway, it's one of the great railway journeys of the world, lovely scenery. Other than that form of public transport I'd hire a car to get around the rest of NZ. The roads aren't busy and you'll feel right at home coming from the UK.

A lot of the rest depends on your interests and how far you want to travel within NZ.

Akoroa is an hour of so's drive from Christchurch, I went swimming with dolphins there-highly recommended if you like that sort of thing but even with a wetsuit I remember it being cold. There's also lots of cafes etc there and it's pretty being on the water, worth at least a day triip from Christchurch if you're spending some time in Christchurch.

Queenstown is beautiful, gorgeous scenery and good bars and restaurants (it's pretty expensive though). I haven't been to Milford Sound but it is spectacularly beautiful I believe.

The Franz Josef and Fox glaciers also on South Island are interesting-especially if you do one of the guided tours where you walk on the glacier, quite beautiful.

If you like bush walking, aka hiking or as the locals say, tramping then NZ's the place. There are heaps of stunning walks, many of which are guided, eg Milford track where you walk for a few days and camp etc but it's not something I'm into so I'll let others advise.

If you like wine, there are lots of wine regions in NZ. The Marlborough region is famous for its Sav blanc. There are also wineries further south, so pick what's nearby and easy to get to.

On the north Island I highly recommend the Bay of Islands-October is sadly a bit cold for swimming though, but there are some nice sailing days that take you out on the water. If you're interested in geology then Rotorua is a must but I can't say that I liked it all that much.

Auckland is pretty and the closest thing to a big city in NZ. If you do go there, don't miss taking a day trip out to Waiheke Island. A foodies and wine lovers paradise with beautiful scenery thrown in. It's a short ferry ride from Auckland town centre and just a nice day out.

Oh and go to a rugby match, maybe just don't wear your British Lions shirt
[Big Grin]

Do grab the opportunity to go while you can, it's beautiful and a very easy place to travel around if you're English speaking and can drive a car.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walking on Franz Joseph way back when was great! I stayed in Youth Hostels but got a single room booked early. Napier, as I said somewhere else recently, is a must if you are into Art Deco - an almost surreal feel to the centre of town. Queenstown is good, reminded me of both Banff in Canada and Grasmere in UK in different ways. Wellington is definitely worth it, the museum Te Papa particularly so.

Have fun, as I'm sure you will.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi GR, sorry I saw this as I was rushing out the door this morning, and haven't had a chance to get back.

Akaroa is still lovely, although I'd do the Black Cat cruise on the Harbour to see the dolphins and other marine life, rather than go swimming with them in October. Since the Feb quake cruise ships have been going to Akaroa rather than Lyttelton so the area can be crowded at times.

Trains; The Picton to Christchchurch (Coastal Pacific) trains aren't running at present as passenger numbers are down since the quakes, especially as it's winter. They may start up again as the weather gets better.

I think the Wellington to Auckland (Overlander)train only runs in the weekend during the winter.

I'm not sure about the transAlpine though. I think it is still running and as Pete says it's a lovely trip.

The Gondola with views over the City (on a clear day) is running.

There are also hot Pools at Hanmer north of the city (open all year round).

Queenstown is a beautiful setting spoilt by an expensive town (IMO) but Milford Sound is one of the most beautiful places in NZ, with industrial sized sandflies. Unless you are a very competent driver and have a 4 wheel drive I suggest not driving from Queentown to Milford as the road through the Homer Tunnel is steep and prone to slips (bear in mind that I no longer drive, so I may be overstating).

In Christchurch itself;

Orana Park - Zoo type park
Willowbank- some native birds, kiwi, Maori Concert party in the evenings
Ferrymead- old trains and ither machinery, historical 'settler's village'
Tamaki Maori Village - expensive place that I have never been to, though I could get some feedback from people who have.
Museum
Art Gallery - closed for repair
Airforce Museum
Deans' Bush and Cottage - the early residence of the Deans' Family who were early settlers in the area.
Markets in different places

I'm not sure whether the 'cardboard Cathedral' will be finished by then.

I've probably left out heaps, so if you have any particular things you're interested in give me a yell, currently I have some time in the afternoons and I could get info from the Isite or check for people's opinions on a local discussion board (it's connected with Trade Me - a NZ equivalent of Ebay, but I don't think they allow overseas members).

Just to warn you, seismologists say we have a 10% chance of an earthquake greater than 6. I wouldn't let that put you off as most buildings that would be knocked down already have been [Frown] .

Huia - from the loveliest city in NZ - not that I'm biassed or anything [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have booked the flights now. I will be arriving in Christchurch on 4th October and leaving on 21st.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the Rail New Zealand timetables from Christchurch. It appears Christchurch to Greymouth is running, Huia.

The online service staff is incredibly helpful; they organised my travels six months in advance and got me all kinds of discounts. My train experience in EnZed was completely positive.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great it's my favourite.

Also according to that link the Coastal-Pacific will be back in operation in September, thus making a trip to Wellington by train and ferry a possibility.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi from Wellington, a gem of a smallish (by international standards) city but compact around its lovely harbour. There are a handful of shippies and we enjoyed showing Pete around when he was able to stop over. The museum Te Papa is good for getting an overview of the country's history etc; the drive round the coast is dramatic and if you like bush (woods?) there's plenty right on the edge of the town. Other outings over the hill into Wairarapa or up the coast to Nga Manu bird sanctuary – other sanctuaries are Kapiti Island, or in the harbour itself Matiu Somes Island after a ride on the harbour ferry. Just tell us what kind of things you'd like to see! If I think of more later I'll get back (it's bed-time now)

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kapiti Island takes a fair bit of pre-booking, though ... I was there this past January [Axe murder]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second going on the ferry to Matiu - provided the weather is clement OR you're a really rugged type. We did it in summer and it was a great trip with lots of unusual history attached and some wildlife. Its not a very expensive trip as the ferry is a commuter ferry that stops off at the island.

Will have a bit more of a think. What do you like doing?

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Resurrecting this thread to update with some of my plans. So far I have booked Transalpine to Greymouth (well I got my son to do it for me, as the cheaper tickets are only available from within NZ, the site checks the IP address apparently - sneaky, I got it half price by getting him to book it), several bus journeys on NakedBus (most of which only cost me a dollar - amazing value!), ferry to Wellington, internal flight back to Christchurch. I will be visiting (among others) Fox Glacier and Queenstown, and Wellington and Christchurch, plus other stuff yet to be decided.

I will be in Christchurch from 4th-6th Oct, then again for a day on 11th Oct, and possibly some more time at the end (19th and/or 20th)

I will be in Wellington 8th-10th.

I will be in and around Queenstown 14th-17th. (Suggestions for best excursions to do from there would be welcome).

Would love to meet up with some Shippies!

[ 26. July 2013, 22:14: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's not much to do down my way in Timaru though the scenery is gorgeous but if you make it here then feel very free to say hi. (We are about 2 hours south of Christchurch)
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Queenstown - the ugliest town in the most beautiful setting in NZ.

I suggest a day's visit to Milford Sound by bus and a boat trip out on the Sound. You need heavy duty sandfly repellent but the scenery is magnificient. I would strongly advise travelling by bus rather than driving yourself as the road is challenging, besides you don't get to see as much in a car.

If you are adventurous there are heaps of things to do; bungy-jumping, white water rafting, jetboating etc- which I don't know much about because I'm not [Razz] .

Huia

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Queenstown - the ugliest town in the most beautiful setting in NZ.

Definitely one of the mysteries of NZ.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Thanks Huia for the Milford Sound recommendation, have looked it up in the guidebooks and it looks amazing, will definitely put that on my 'to do' list. I have 2 full days based in Queenstown so will do that trip one day (its a long day, about 13 hours) and spend the other discovering what Queenstown itself has to offer. I'm not really one for big thrills (except for roller coasters) and its not much fun doing those things on your own anyway, so I will probably stick to more sedate activities!

By the way, I hope to be able to meet up with you at some point while I am in Christchurch.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be passing through Wellywood around the 9th October but sadly I fear I won't have time for any meet ... damn damn and damn

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016