homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pigwidgeon in London (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pigwidgeon in London
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This owl will be winging her way to London in early August. I'd love a Shipmeet! I'll be staying in the vicinity of London Bridge, and have a free evening on Monday, 5 August. Will anyone be in town and interested in a Meet? Any suggestions of a pub in that area?

(I'll have very limited internet access for the two weeks before then, so I'd love to get details pinned down in the next month.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are LOTS of pubs near London Bridge, on both sides of the river, including quite a few on the river. Can you be more specific?

Some of them get very crowded in the after-work hours (it's the same around all the mainline stations), but especially near the river in the summer. But some of them (Anchor, Barrow-Boy and Banker) are big enough to cope. They aren't necessarily the nicer ones though.

I'm in. Let's see who else is...

[ 24. June 2013, 19:24: Message edited by: Deputy Verger ]

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depending on dates, Macarius and I could be around.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! Not the London Bridge -- we brought that to Arizona.
[Hot and Hormonal]

I'll be east of Tower Bridge, on the north side of the River. (I really do know the difference. My fingers slipped when typing.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be around for a meet-up, happy to go to a pub near any of the London bridges.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly not around until 9th - are you still about then?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Unfortunately not -- I'll be heading home on the 8th.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

If you're around on the 9th, Smudgiedear, would you like to come to my birthday party?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm away then but I do know the area and will dig out links to pubs. Also there's the fabulous Lahore Kebab House if you fancy a curry. Best grilled lamb chops this side of, well, Lahore.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I'm not a big fan of curry -- my personal preference would be for a pint of good ale and some pub grub. But I'm open to suggestions!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have a great time, I wish I were there with you, sister.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up for it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Have a great time, I wish I were there with you, sister.

We can't even get you to a Phoenix Shipmeet!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
East of Tower Bridge on the north side are two of the most interesting pubs in London - The Captain Kidd and The Prospect of Whitby. The Captain Kidd is closer to Tower Bridge and Wapping Station so is arguably more convenient. It's also cheaper and less up-itself. They're both historic and capacious with riverside terraces and only half a mile apart.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
East of Tower Bridge on the north side are two of the most interesting pubs in London - The Captain Kidd and The Prospect of Whitby. The Captain Kidd is closer to Tower Bridge and Wapping Station so is arguably more convenient. It's also cheaper and less up-itself. They're both historic and capacious with riverside terraces and only half a mile apart.

Either of these looks great -- I'll defer to those of you who know them better.

Closer to the time I'll pm those attending with where I'm staying, etc., which I don't want to post here for all the world to see. If anyone provides me with an email address, I can also send a photo so you'll recognize me without my having to dress up as an owl.

--------------------
~Tortuf

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

quote:
If anyone provides me with an email address, I can also send a photo so you'll recognize me without my having to dress up as an owl.
Ohohhhh. Why do you think anyone goes to shipmeets?

M.

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

My costume is easy. I just have to carry way too many keys and keep moving the chairs around. I'm looking forward to meeting you dressed as an owl. M., I know what you look like, but exactly which ship's spare part are you game to represent?
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

A photo has been sent to Deputy Verger -- I am not responsible for any broken computers that result from this!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

Deputy Verger has now recommended The Dickens Inn -- I will trust those of you who live in London to decide.

Deputy Verger has my hotel information in London as well as in Gloucester the week before. I'm leaving the U.S. this Wednesday morning, so my internet access will be very limited after that.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Just so I don't look like Bossy-Boots and the only Shipmate with a taste for real ale, please can we have some contributions to this decision from the rest of you?

The Dickens Inn at St Katherines's Dock is very close to Pigwidgeon's hotel and also convenient to Tower Hill Station and a riverside pier for transport. But three pints of bitter stings you more than £12. The Captain Kidd is a Sam Smith's pub, a 15-minute walk from Tower Bridge and very close to Wapping Overground Station, and three pints of Old Brewery Bitter costs under £10!!! The Prospect is a little further east, and the price is probably between those two extremes. They're all large, historic, popular, attractive and interesting. The Dickens is not on the river as such, but on the marina.

Or we could muddy the water by crossing Tower Bridge to the Draft House or the Anchor Tap (the latter also Sam Smith, see prices above). But Tower Hill on the north side of the river is still your closest station.

Can someone else please make the ultimate decision?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would love to meet you Pigwidgeon, but I'm away from 3rd to 10th August.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm happy to go to any of these, but having never been to the Captain Kidd I think that would be my first chocie, but I guess it's Pigwidgeon's call.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
I'm happy to go to any of these, but having never been to the Captain Kidd I think that would be my first chocie, but I guess it's Pigwidgeon's call.

Her shout, surely! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Pigwidgeon has explicitly left it up to those of us who live in London to decide. I'm trying to abdicate responsiblity for that but Gussie and I are both leaning towards the Captain Kidd. Spike, M, anyone else, any input? It's two weeks tomorrow.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Wouldn't that mean I was paying for the first round?

--------------------
~Tortuf

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

I'll go wherever's decided, I don't really know any of the pubs suggested.

That's not very helpful, is it?

M.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Wouldn't that mean I was paying for the first round?
You learn fast!

[Devil]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pigwidgeon has explicitly left it up to those of us who live in London to decide. I'm trying to abdicate responsiblity for that but Gussie and I are both leaning towards the Captain Kidd. Spike, M, anyone else, any input? It's two weeks tomorrow.

I've not seen a firm date for this yet. If it's Monday 5th, I'm afraid I won't be able to make it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I've not seen a firm date for this yet. If it's Monday 5th, I'm afraid I won't be able to make it.

Yes, it's the 5th. I'm so sorry you won't be with us.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have now discovered that I might be able to make it - but cannot help choose the pub as I do not know the area at all.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I have now discovered that I might be able to make it - but cannot help choose the pub as I do not know the area at all.

Wonderful -- I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

I'm happy with the Captain Kidd (he was involved with the founding of a church I once attended!).

What time works for everyone?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I'm leaving for the airport in a few minutes, but I'll try to stop by the Ship once in a while. I'll assume we're meeting at the Captain Kidd, so I just need to know what time works for everyone.

--------------------
~Tortuf

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Just bumping up as it's only a week and a day away. How about 7 pm?

M.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

That sounds fine with me, if its OK for Pigwidgeon. I'm away from computers for most of this week , but I'll try to check in to see what's been decided.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I'll be there at 7:00! This is my first chance to use a computer, and I don't know when I will again.

7:00 p.m. at the Captain Kidd next Monday! I'm looking forward to it!

[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Who will be carrying the identifying Jolly Roger?

--------------------

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Thanks M.

We'll be there by 7pm then! I plan to escort the visitor to the venue.

If anyone wants to PM me for my mobile number feel free. Otherwise, at least M. and I will recognise each other. It will work out; it always does.

DV

acton bell
Apprentice
# 15576

- Posted      Profile for acton bell   Email acton bell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello All,

I'm in London for a bit, and I hoped to tag along to the Shipmeet with Deputy Verger. I find it difficult to say no to real ale, so I hope there is room for one more!

Posts: 21 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Plenty of room for more. Come on, London! We have TWO visitors. Venture east of Tower Bridge - it's worth it!

I am going to be cat-sitting in remote suburbia (outside the M25) so I will have to leave by 10 o'clock to get my train. We're very near the Overground station at Wapping, which gets me (and M. & Mac) to Clapham Junction in half an hour, and a number 100 bus gets you back to Tower Bridge in 18 minutes, so come one, come all.

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

Double posting following communications by private messages.

It seems the Captain Kidd does not do food on a Monday. Sorry for that. Chef's day off.

If you need to eat, there are two or three options. I think we should meet at 7.00pm as decided. It's an interesting pub on the river and I have booked a table for us in the name of "The Ship". They will use their discretion and decide whether to place the table inside (with river view) or outside, depending on the weather at six o'clcock. The vanguard should arrive about 6.30pm.

There's an Italian restaurant between Wapping Station and the pub, or we could move along to the Prospect of Whitby, which does serve food until 10 o'clock, by which time the Surrey-bound among us need to be leaving anyway.

So I propose we stick to the plan, and take it as it comes. Not expecting a huge crowd, but I would still encourage further comers. If this is not a part of London you know, you will be astonished. In a good way.

DV

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

See you there, everyone!

M.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks for the updated plan - i was wondering whether to eat before I came, now I know not to! Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back home in London now - where is the place today you lot and me I hope, can meet?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Hi, daisymay, it's the Captain Kidd at 108 Wapping High Street, E1 2NE - just a few minutes walk by the look of it from Wapping overground station.

We're meeting at 7 this evening. Hope you can make it!

M.

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little late to this thread but wondered if this is an open invitation? I'll be east of Tower Bridge too this evening and might be free.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican't - I'm not going to the Meet but usually the more the merrier, go along and join in!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Nobody's put me in charge but who cares?! Yes, do come along, Anglican't - WW is right, the more the merrier.

M.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Anglican't - I'm not going to the Meet but usually the more the merrier, go along and join in!

Well, I'm really disappointed you won't be there. What are a few thousand miles among Shipmates?

I'm at my hotel and looking forward to meeting everyone!
[Yipee]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm on my way, but the overground is being very slow, so may be a bit late. Leave a message if you move on before I get there!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish I could be there. Would you all prod Acton Bell to file the MW reports he's been doing?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016