homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » PataLeBon and rugasaw in Glasgow 16-20 July

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: PataLeBon and rugasaw in Glasgow 16-20 July
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As indicated in another thread plans are now firmed up for PataLeBon and rugasaw visiting Glasgow 16-20 July.

What hasn't yet been firmed up are plans for any form of Shipply welcome to Scotland. I'm sure we can put our heads together and find somewhere to eat and drink, and work out a convenient date.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd certainly be up for a meet, but as I'm working in Edinburgh my preference would be for either the Friday evening or any time on the Saturday (19th or 20th) (particularly as we then still have to get back to Stirling afterwards). That way we might be able to persuade a few more people from outwith Glasgow to come too...

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would aim for Friday night, as Saturday is a traveling day for us to make it to St. Albans by Saturday evening, which is when I'm supposed to meet up with the rest of the choir.

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Friday night would also suit me.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but can't commit to anything around then just now.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I could do the Friday evening. I'll probably be coming by train, so somewhere central would suit best.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will be staying in central Glasgow so somewhere central would suit us fine. Does anybody have suggestions?

Looking at weather dot com and I am anticipating mid 60s to lower 70s. A veritable winter for us. [Smile]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does a meal starting at 7pm sound? That should allow people to make their way into town from work. Early arrivers could meet in a local drinking establishment.

I don't know many restaurants in Glasgow, but will look tomorrow on the internet unless anyone has any suggestions.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know many restaurants in Glasgow, but will look tomorrow on the internet unless anyone has any suggestions.
Well, there's always Paperino's on St Vincent St which has been a not infrequent venue for a meet...

I've kept off this thread thus far as I've been a little all over the place of late. Sorry, I can't do Fri 19th (shame to miss catching up with the rest of you as well)but as could do either the Weds or Thurs if you fancied a wee mini-meet. I'm based in Glasgow so am flexible as to the where and when. Let me know...

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will be staying within easy walking distance to Paperinos on St. Vincent St. I think meeting at a local drinking establishment and then meeting for dinner at 7:00 sounds like a great plan.

Kingsfold, if you want to meet up on Wednesday that should be no problem.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be able to get to Paperino's for 7pm. Nicely handy for Central Station - thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

Paperino's at 7pm.

So far we have:
PataLeBon
Rugasaw
Cottontail
and myself.

Any others?

Once I know numbers I'll book a table (probably do that sometime Monday lunchtime or evening).

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TME and I can come as well [Smile] Thanks MA for booking this. It's a good choice as so handy - I'll be arriving in at Queen St. See you all then!

(I'll also give derf a little prompt...)

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the prompt Jack. Scz approves of the plan so the three of us will join you if that's OK. MA if you can ask them for a high chair when you book the table that would be fab.

I seem to remember the last time I was there you were all playing 'guess the sczlet's gender'...

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
I seem to remember the last time I was there you were all playing 'guess the sczlet's gender'...

I remember that! Didn't we also have a bit of a sweepstake on the date of birth? I think that was the meet to say goodbye to Surfing Madness as she headed to the 'dee. I don't *think* we've been there since, though I know there's been at least one other meet there.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

Paperinos now booked for 7pm Friday 19 July for 8 adults + 1 highchair.

The full address is:
78 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5UB.
(I wouldn't want anyone to go to the wrong Paperinos!)

It's booked under name of Ken Cresswell.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rugasaw and I have made it to Glasgow. We both feel like we are missing 8 hours of sleep, but that should actually help us sleep tonight!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Welcome to the Dear Green Place, Pata and rugasaw! It's a great city, hope you get to see it at its best. Sorry the sun seems to have disappeared down south - hopefully it will return for the end of the week!

MA, that made me laugh - I'd forgotten all about the other Paperinos.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
MA, that made me laugh - I'd forgotten all about the other Paperinos
I hadn't... [Devil]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

I personally think the weather is glorious!

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking forward to this, although there's an outside chance we'll have to pull out - I've got the sczlet off nursery ill today (and therefore also tomorrow). Hopefully she'll be back there on Friday, and given that she's bouncing round like a not-in-the-slightest ill thing that seems likely, but obviously if she's not better we won't make it.

Jack I'd forgotten the sweepstake - did any of you get it right? I do seem to remember both you and Kingsfold confidently predicting I was having a boy!

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Aye well - what do I know about babies?
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

We met with Kingsfold last night. We started out at our hotel and wondered about semi aimlessly for awhile. After much discussion* we settled on eating at the City Merchant. I had the venison and both Pata and Kingsfold had the salmon. There was no need to ask what everyone thought of the food since there wasn't any left. During the evening there was much talk and much fun and no camera. Maybe I'll remember the camera for the next meet. Now to get ready to head off to Stirling castle and other places for the day.

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Sounds like you had fun [Smile]

The sczlet is currently emptying and repacking one of my desk drawers and showing no signs of being ill, so we should be OK for tomorrow.

Kingsfold you know plenty about how to keep babies entertained!

Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

It seems we were going to the wrong restaurant after all!!!

I had a phone call this morning to tell me that the owners of 78 St Vincent Street restaurant have gone into administration :-(

Our booking has now moved to:

Paperinos West Wnd
227 Byres Road
Glasgow
G12 8UD
0141 3343811

This restaurant is by the university in Kelvinhall area. The nearest subway is Hillhead.

It is just over 2 miles from the St Vincent Street restaurant.

I'm PMing this info (plus my mobile no to people). Hopefully everyone will get the message and meet tonight.

Ken

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

That's a real shame about the St Vincent St one, but the irony of this for us is amusing me greatly!
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Classic. What else can you say.

Hope you all have a good time tonight, in the West End (so close to home, but I'm at a BBQ with friends.).

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Sounds like it is now time for us to figure out the subway system.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

That would be the Underground, I expect. Watch out for the trolls hiding under bridges.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

The subway's easy - there's only one line and it goes round in a loop. So even if you get on the wrong train you'll get there eventually although you might be a bit late for dinner....
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:

That would be the Underground, I expect. Watch out for the trolls hiding under bridges.
Went underground and didn't see any bridges or trolls...I guess our trip wasn't complete.

Oh well, that just means we will have to figure out a way to come back!

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Well, that was delightful. [Smile] Once I finally found you. I am quite proud of my Glasgow navigational skills.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Well I really enjoyed that, despite being defeated by the pudding [Smile] Great to meet Rugasaw and Pata, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

I do have a photo in which everyone looks vaguely normal (except me and derf, who thanks to the flash are both doing laser death stares). I just wanted to check nobody objects to their mugshots online before posting it (in particular I thought I'd better check as sczlet is in it too). If not then if Pata and Rugasaw would like a copy I'm happy to email it.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

I know I would like a copy. [Smile]

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

No objections from here - I'm intrigued to see the death stares...
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

I've heard from Cottontail that she doesn't object, derf's OK with it and all the rest of us have appeared before in shipmeet photos so presumably that's OK (let me know if not and I'll take this down):

L-R: PataLeBon, sczlet, derf, Cottontail, Macguyver's Apprentice, strathclydezero, me, The Machine Elf, rugasaw.

Group photo.

And here's my epic pudding.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Nice. [Smile]
Thanks, JtL.

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

I see what you mean about the eyes [Devil]

Did you eat the pudding for breakfast on Sat?

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016