homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » PeteC Returns to Hell (Temporarily)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: PeteC Returns to Hell (Temporarily)
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Orefo is off on a Grand Tour, PeteC has kindly agreed to cover his Hell Hosting duties whilst he's gallvanting around the globe.

Tubbs
Admin

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to leave Hell and then return? I guess that's a whole new theology.

Good luck!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got back on the bus, then? Should've listened to George MacDonald.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Orfeo seems to have it backwards, no doubt pissing off dead Greeks and opera aficionados.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Who's he, when he's at home without a tie?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

Who's he, when he's at home without a tie?
Well the reference is C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce. Who is George MacDonald, well a nineteenth century liberal Scottish Congregational Minister turned author as he could not find a congregation.

Jengie

p.s. I just realised that my reading suggests George MacDonald had more universalist leanings than C.S. Lewis.

[ 14. May 2013, 15:29: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jengie Jon: p.s. I just realised that my reading suggests George MacDonald had more universalist leanings than C.S. Lewis.
He believes all people in the Universe go to Heaven and some more? [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Is it possible to leave Hell and then return? I guess that's a whole new theology.

We can discuss the similarities between the USA and Hell once I've had adequate experiences of both.
[Biased] [Razz]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Good luck!

Some of us don't learn our lessons the first time around.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
orfeo: We can discuss the similarities between the USA and Hell once I've had adequate experiences of both.
[Biased] [Razz]

I wonder which place has the best food [Biased]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Well the reference is C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce.

In particular, I was referring to people who (in that novel) leave Heaven to get on the bus and go back to Hell.

And yes, George MacDonald was a universalist.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfectly understandable. I am back in Hell because that's where are my friends are, eh?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the opposite of me Pete. My friends say it's Hell whenever I am around. Welcome back.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When I skimmed over this I read it as George MacDonald Fraser, implying that PeteC is Flashman... which would explain a lot.

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feels like you've never been away. [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed his time off for good behaviour had come to an end.

Mind you, that suggests that orfeo has just been given time off for good behaviour... [Paranoid]

[Edited to de-capitalise orfeo]

[ 15. May 2013, 12:57: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
I assumed his time off for good behaviour had come to an end.

Mind you, that suggests that orfeo has just been given time off for good behaviour... [Paranoid]

[Edited to de-capitalise orfeo]

Hellhosts get time off for bad behaviour!!!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suddenly things start to make sense...

...oh. No, it's all gone wonky again.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who said I was given anything? I just told 'em I would be off terrorising other parts of the world and expected 'em to deal with it.

Mind you, just at the moment I have good opportunities to hop onto a computer and find out what you're all saying.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

We can discuss the similarities between the USA and Hell once I've had adequate experiences of both.
[Biased] [Razz]

I believe Bertolt Brecht was living in Los Angeles when he proposed that Heaven and Hell would be in the same place. The people in Heaven would have money, those in Hell would not.

Enjoy the tour.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016