homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » DEFINE "Sticking to the Point" (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: DEFINE "Sticking to the Point"
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg:
I'm still not feeling "heard" here.

Nor is anyone else [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have reposted Emily on truth claims to the relevant purg thread.

[ 19. May 2013, 22:45: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] to hosts and shipmates for being so patient and kind here. I am in awe of you!

Me? I am going to cause myself injuries doing [brick wall] .

Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Purgatory" is about judgments.

History is more than that; it's a sequence of actual events in time and space.

I submit, History ought to have its own Place here, so we can thrash out, what is true that we have been given, and what is not true that was sold to us as a substitute for Truth.

"Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free," is what our Master said about Truth.

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Purgatory on these Boards is about DISCUSSION

Purgatory on these Boards is NOT about judgement.

You say you have a university education. Read for comprehension.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WWED?

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sine Nomine: WWED?
I have been thinking the same thing today.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I told you Emily, purgatory is just the name of the board. Ignore the name if it bothers you.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe in the one True God.

Since Cause has to be sufficient to produce any effect, God has ALL THE QUALITIES he conveys to us His Children.

Intelligence, memory, wit, irony, calculation, articulation, gesture, motivation, intention, integrity, purpose, benevolence.

But even more, He knows what Justice is and how it operates; how Fairness interplays with Justice and Mercy.

I seek to learn from God, and not merely from the one single Book that everybody says is God's ONLY and LAST testament to mankind.

No way can a book completed 2000 years ago be God's LAST and only testament. It's a good book but it's not God's only means of communication.

His Spirit is active; we share in prayer and meditation with His Thinking.

There's more to God than we are told by the Church or by the priests, or by the system.

I believe in God the Father, Almighty YHVH.

[Smile] Emily

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
WWED?

Yeah.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I submit, History ought to have its own Place here, so we can thrash out, what is true that we have been given, and what is not true that was sold to us as a substitute for Truth.

"Ye shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free," is what our Master said about Truth.

For the last time, READ THE FUCKING GUIDELINES!

I work as a Driving Instructor which probably makes me one of the most patient men in the world, but I am very nearly at the end of my tether. It's pointless me trying to explain to you that here, Purgatory is just the name of a discussion board, because you have proved time and time again that you are totally incapable of of taking advice.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
WWED?

I think she would cry laughing.

[Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Precedent would suggest otherwise.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Applying a search engine to a poster's name can be enlightening. Even without following any links that appear.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never knew you were an
quote:
Innovative Business Builder, a Civic Leader and a Philanthropist.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I have to say reading that has brightened up my Monday morning.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Well, I have to say reading that has brightened up my Monday morning.

Thurible

Quite!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Applying a search engine to a poster's name can be enlightening. Even without following any links that appear.

And if you do follow the primary link, beware, there is a rolling tracker that publishes your location as a visitor.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:

And if you do follow the primary link, beware, there is a rolling tracker that publishes your location as a visitor.
Oops, I did follow a couple of them, can remember linking to the one that claims that she is the illegitimate daughter of Edward VIII but can't remember the other. The Edward VIII link was most interesting and warmed me on a chilly late autumn evening.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The Amazon one?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just read the latest offerings in All Saints. Emily gets around.

Just thought I'd reassure any less experienced Shipmates that, as with all the Hosts, I don't actually have the power to ban anyone from any board or thread. Banning powers are reserved for Admin. Hosts call Commandment or Board Guideline violations as they see them. Normally when doing that, we make it clear we're acting as Hosts, not just posting as Shipmates.

Plus we can move or lock threads, edit posts for coding errors, edit or delete posts which infringe copyright or libel guidelines, or delete posts on request from Shipmates. That's about it really.

Any further action (such as suspension or permanent removal of posting privileges) is the province of Admin, not Hosts (though Hosts may give a view, or be asked for one). That's how the formal responsibilities work around here.

Any posts from Emily suggesting otherwise are based on a failure to understand how things work around here. Plus, I surmise, some problems in either reading for comprehension or admitting a prior misunderstanding.

Most of you know this, but I'm conscious that new people join us all the time. So this note is for them.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Have you seen our 'Private Boards' facility? If there is a subject that you are particularly interested in then, once you achieve Shipmate status (51 posts), you may be able to set one up (subject to the Ship's Ten Commandments).

See here for details.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
. . . He is INCAPABLE OF LEARNING or growing in Wisdom.

He is stuck where He was 4000 years ago, and He has never moved one iota!

Another ordinary (though frankly atheistic) shippie here. I'd be happy to discuss the above statement with you if you were to post a thread in Purgatory titled, say, Can God Change?

You keep replying to suggestions like these by saying "History does not belong in purgatory."

Not being a Christian, I don't understand your reasoning. Why does history not belong in purgatory? Several hosts and admins have explained that the forum titled Purgatory is exactly where history-related threads belong, and have explicitly told you to start your new topic there?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Anna.
Anna who?
Anna Naki.

I don't believe we are allowed to proselytize for any particular sect. Isn't that right? I don't read nor schmooz with my pals here in order to be told what a dunderhead I am. I don't come here for correction nor re-programming. Isn't Emily in violation of this principle?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Max. It's gotta be Max, right?
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by koshatnik:
Max. It's gotta be Max, right?

That's enough of that. Accusations of sockpuppeting aren't appropriate for this board.

Marvin
Admin

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, this has made my day! The lights are on but .....
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

It's kinda hard for a human on the ground to proselytize for an ET Race in the sky.

Wikipedia calls them mythical; and I'm merely challenging that label because I have sufficient data to actually believe they have existed and they do exist as a Race of hominids, even now as we speak.

But I'm not here to make anybody do anything. We all just operate by our own thoughts, okay?

Mine are focused on space and astronomy because that's what I have been studying for the past 12 years. And I do have the right to do that.

Everybody here has the right to follow their own interests, of course.

[Smile] Em

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's fine if you keep it to the relevant threads. If you introduce it onto unrelated threads it will look like you are not obeying this rule:

quote:
8. Don't crusade

Don't use these boards to promote personal crusades. This space is not here for people to pursue specific agendas and win converts.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
quote:

Oops, I did follow a couple of them, can remember linking to the one that claims that she is the illegitimate daughter of Edward VIII but can't remember the other. The Edward VIII link was most interesting and warmed me on a chilly late autumn evening.
[Tangent]

I wonder how many illegitimate daughters he had. One of my great-aunts claimed to be one as well. It was quite frustrating; I listened to her as attentively as was compatible with retaining my sanity but could not work out who she believed her mother was or how she ended up with the family she did.

[/Tangent]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is surely the best name-trace link [Smile]

Emmie, can you make these?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Not going to name names, because I am too lazy to copy-paste, but if you don't have anything you want to contribute to this thread other than taunting, can you move it to Hell, please?

(Please in this case meaning, right the hell now?)

Kelly Alves
Admin.

--------------------

Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
That's fine if you keep it to the relevant threads. If you introduce it onto unrelated threads it will look like you are not obeying this rule:

quote:
8. Don't crusade

Don't use these boards to promote personal crusades. This space is not here for people to pursue specific agendas and win converts.

Well taken. I don't like being evangelized either.

My opinions are pretty well set, so I'll keep them IN LINE with, where they can be discussed.

Thanks.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Emily.

So the original question appears to have been answered. Emily is posting on the correct board and my blood pressure is back to normal, so this thread is now closed.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016