homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New St Joseph Sunday Missa - short and to the point.

[Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevHep:
The Bhagavad Git

Story of a bad tempered Indian holy man.

[Killing me] [Overused]

Inspired by Baptist Trainfan, Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moo: a study of the transmission of nutrients in the bovine grazing process.

[ 08. April 2013, 09:19: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it! [Overused]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about that well-known Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Naval Treat in which Holmes and Watson wonder just who is paying for high-ranking officers to be wined and dined in such a lavish fashion at a time of budgetary restraint? They discover that a strange alliance between the Mafia and Russian oligarchy lies behind it - linked to an Old Etonian connection.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're really flying today!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magi, a rip-rouring farce of the Nativity story where the three Magi face racism as they follow the Star of Bethlehem across the Deep South.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Specie, a historical treatise on the evolution of coins as a form of currency.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dun
Frank Herbert's dry tale of the desert. Eventually the lead character goes so crazy staring at that damn monochromatic sand that he imagines he is some sort of worm.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watership Dow

A group of intrepid rabbits take their first steps in the stock market.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leave Her to Heave

She's very seasick.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geraldine Brooks People of the Boo, a story about a children's entertainment enterprise, simultaneously keeping young children from getting bored and scaring the timid.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angle of Repos
About people who have quit making their car payments

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

To be topical, and at the risk of souring the tine of this thread,
Margaret Thatcher: the Downing Street Year. (Might've improved the book: would almost certainly have improved the twentieth century.)

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Melvyn Bragg Remember M

Bragg reminisces about his favourite James Bond character.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Fahrenheit 45 a learned symposium by rather old-fashioned meteorologists explaining just why global warming has given us the coldest winter in years.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about some Bible books?

Hose -- The prophet who wore sheer tights

Rut -- Adventures of a breeding animal

Mica -- The prophet who was a flake

Mar -- The gospel writer who ruined everything he touched

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow Mein Kamp doesn't sound half so threatening.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this thread... though my bookcases seem to be proving rather unhelpful in providing suitable candidates for it.

Other people seem to be able to think of several in a row. But it leaves us poor unimaginative folks reeling. So can we please keep it to one book title per post, as per the OP, so that everyone gets a fair crack of the whip.

Thank you muchly.

Smudgie (with a wave of a hostly kipper)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Righty-o, Smudgie!

The Waste LAN -- T.S. Eliot's epic, book-length poem about superfluous ethernet cables.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Far From the Madding Crow". A 19th century novel about a group of friends who go out for a summer picnic and have their lives irrevocably changed by an angry bird.
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Running Ma - Stephen King's story of a mother who enrols in the ultimate reality show in order to keep fit

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Clockwork Orang

A prequel to I, Robot, featuring a mechanical ape.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Spy Who Loved M -- James Bond hits for the other team just once.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ring and the Boo - mildly scary take on Tolkien.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Somehow Mein Kamp doesn't sound half so threatening.

And some how it brings us back to "Three Men in a Boa" [Biased]

The Audacity of Hop - Barack Obama's stirring tale of a little bunny that never gave up.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Flying In - novel about an obsessive plane spotter.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Cricket on the Heart -- Dickens teams up with Poe for this charming Christmas horror novella

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The French Lieutenant's Woma A touching story of a soldier and his pet python.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Mansfield Par a thrilling golfing saga from the East Midlands. Will Mr. D'Arcy manage a hole-in-one or will Emma end up in the rough at the tenth?
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to Borges:
The House of Asterio, a take on the myth of Theseus and the Boombox.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shakespeare the gender-bender: King Lea

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
William Faulkner -- The Sound and the Fur.
Classic novel about the moral decay of the frozen North..

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cat on a Hot Tin 'Roo

The mind boggles...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The World According to Gar

Our planet home as seen through the eyes of a long, skinny fish

[ 09. April 2013, 03:16: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady Chatterley's Love: a D. H. Lawrence novel about a woman whose frustration with her husband's paralysis prompts her to secretly pursue her passion of collecting fine art.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Peter Pa

The dad who never grew up.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Out of the Silent Plane (C.S. Lewis) - traumatised passengers in Terminal Five recount their distress after the failure of the in-flight entertainment system on their journey from Oz.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The Kraken Wake His friends hold a party after the Kraken dies.
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Leave Her to Heave

She's very seasick.

Moo

[Killing me]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Lucky Ji - social mishaps of a young Chinese academic. (And by the same author: Take a Girl Like Yo)
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stephen King's I

A tender tale of one clown's search for identity in a world that does not understand.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BF. Roald Dahl.

A touching fairytale about an enormous benevolent boyfriend.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

The Ilia. ~Homer.

Epic poem about the greatest bones of the pelvis.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrob

The leaders of Narnia's warring factions put their differences aside in order to investigate a hospital burglary.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
How about some Bible books?

Hose -- The prophet who wore sheer tights

Rut -- Adventures of a breeding animal

Mica -- The prophet who was a flake

Mar -- The gospel writer who ruined everything he touched

Luk The gospel writer who scored well on the stock market and with the money changers in the temple.

Proverb Written by a bunch of grammarians who believed the Word was a Verb and was a professional, to boot.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last book (thank you, Jesus!) of the Twilight series: Breaking Daw about a female tween and her vampire lover who travel around the world wrecking musical equipment in recording studios.

*DAW: Digital Audio Workstation

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wilkie Collins -- The Woman in Whit. A woman trapped in a very small somewhat indeterminate something. (Didn't sell well; too vague).

[ 09. April 2013, 12:44: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

CP Snow's commentary on the early atomic age obviously causes significant genetic mutation in The New Me.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

And one in which Snow's contemporary and associate, William Cooper, discusses his fascination with pith helmets: The Ever-interesting Topi

(I suspect that our bookshelves have substantially similar contexts, Baptist Trainfain.)

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've never heard of William Cooper!

What you may not have realised is that A E Housman once wrote an opera called A Shropshire La but it bombed as it was ffelt to be rather monotonous. ("Doh!" says Homer Simpson).

(Codefi. —A)

[ 09. April 2013, 14:12: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016