homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Improve A Book Title By Removing The Last Letter
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chitty Chitty bang ban

Car gets jail sentence for inappropriate behaviour in parking lot.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Chitty Chitty bang ban

Car gets jail sentence for inappropriate behaviour in parking lot.

[Killing me]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Moor's Last Sig. Salman Rushdie

The Islamic equivalent of the Ship closes after one of the hosts writes a controversial book

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michael Drosnin, The Bible Cod . This study reveals the Bible's hidden piscine prophecies.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wilkie Collins' The Woman in Whit - a mysterious stranger, dressed completely inappropriately for Whitsun, makes a sudden appearance and causes liturgical chaos......
Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 'book of the film': Happy Fee . The novel is about a scheming fat cat lawyer. Its title is an example of a 'transferred epithet', because clearly it's the lawyer who's happy, rather than his (hefty) fee....
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White Teet

Zadie Smith explores the perception that Bangladeshi immigrants to London sucked the Mother Country dry.

--------------------

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Had a Splurge on:
White Teet

Zadie Smith explores the perception that Bangladeshi immigrants to London sucked the Mother Country dry.

Oh, for ages I've been trying to think of something to say about 'White Teet'! Well done for coming up with something relevant and not at all vulgar!
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mein Kamp -- Adolph Hitler reminisces about summers spent in the woods.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken Soup with Ric

Cookbook from the restaurant owned by the lead singer of the Cars.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicken soup for the sou

How to live on a dollar a day in Paris.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wave
Virginia Woolf talks about 20th century hair-fashions [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moby-Dic -- Yes, you can teach a killer whale to speak Latin.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Great Good Thin

A fairy-tale princess bakes an exemplary cracker.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Maltese Falco

Dashiel Hammett's suspense novel about a young woman, a young man, and a singer of dubious talents as they star in a bargain basement video of "Amadeus".

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

The Thin Ma

The husband and wife detectives, Nick and Nora Charles and their dog, Diet Shasta try to solve a mystery of what happened to a good friend's fat. She WAS fat after she gave birth to six children and then attended a party, drank a lot, woke up in a strange bed and found that she only weighed 98 pounds. Hilarity and madcap gaiety ensue.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The Church Explorer's Guid

How to be saved most economically in Lowland Scotland.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
can we stretch a point - seems too good to miss out on reading

Lord of the Lies

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The Invisible Ma

Are you my mummy?

--------------------

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

You had me at Hell Mhairi McFarlane

--------------------

A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And for a classical reference, taking a liberal definition of 'book'...
Oedipu

... the prequel, in which the central character explores the stage of Freudian psychosexual development prior to the Phallic Stage (which was covered in the better-known book), and demonstrates a clear lack of anal-retentiveness.
A.

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Green, green my valley? No!

Richard Llewellyn laments the lack of restorative work in the coal dust desert which the valley of his youth became.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Delia Smith's How to Coo . Discover your inner pigeon.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The True Believe

Eric Hoffer explains why faithful spouses don't suspect their mates of infidelity.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Three men in a boa

Gay pride celebrates, albeit frugally, since they can't afford one each.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The Six Wives of Henry VII

Antonia Fraser unearths startling new evidence which completely alters out views of the Tudor court and may have repercussions for the Crown today.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Three men in a boa

Gay pride celebrates, albeit frugally, since they can't afford one each.

I like this a lot. But, my first take on it goes something like this:
A constrictor with three big lumps drags himself from drug store to drug store, searching for Tums.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The Gay Pride celebration also seems to be somewhat select.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Treasure Is LAN

By spinning the gold into ethernet cables, Long John Silver is able to hide it in plain sight.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Goodbye Loo

A rather gory story of the little room of no return, where you end up spending rather more than a penny!

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

The Fal

Albert Camus messes about on a Cornish River and sheds his existential angst.

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Loo of Youth

Alec Waugh looks back nostalgically at the little rooms of his younger days...

(credit to EE )

Oh whoops, it's not the last letter of the whole title.
Sheesh. Oh well.....

[ 16. May 2013, 13:20: Message edited by: Cara ]

--------------------
Pondering.

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of the Silent Plane

CS Lewis learns hang-gliding.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Hobbi The story of one man's spare-time interest in learning to spell.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Devices and Desire

PD James' most unexpected book, showing an alarming in-depth knowledge of the Anne Summers catalogue [Snigger]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Hunchback of Notre Dam

Quasimodo falls to his death from the top of the French hydroelectric project.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank Herbert's Dun

Adolescent aristo with a messiah complex is forced to leave his lush home world and live on a very unpleasant planet where everything is brown.

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Les Miserable

Third and last novel in Victor Hugo's famed trilogy THE TRAVAILS OF LES. Sad conclusion to the tale of a young man, Les, who has devoted his life to the pursuit of sexual pleasure (Les In Lust)and great riches (Les and Mammon).

[ 16. May 2013, 20:59: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Sign of Fou

Sherlock Holmes goes crazy in French.

--------------------

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

Precious Ban

Gollum has a harelip and so isn't considered worthy to possess the One Ring.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Pelican Brie

John Grisham's thriller about a new kind of cheese.

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julia

"He was an Emperor. He was an Apostate. He was ... a woman." The true, uncensored version of Gore Vidal's novel of ancient Rome.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

Fantastic Mr Fo

Roald Dahl's tribute to Dario Fo, the Italian Nobel Laureate.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charlie and the Chocolate Factor

Charlie doesn't get to see where Willy Wonka's confectionary is made, but gets fobbed off with his representative. Poor Charlie.

[ 17. May 2013, 23:02: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Cour -- A French cardiologist discovers at last the cause of His Majesty's chronic chest discomfort.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Blue Heave

Rabbi Blue tells the story of his stomach upset...

--------------------

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

Roger Hargreaves most controversial children's book

Mr. Bum

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Little Miss No Is!
So young, and so disenchanted with life, the universe and everything.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Of Mice and Me

Cage cleaner in a medical research facility tells all.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Diamonds are for Eve

Ian Fleming's admiration for attractive women reaches new heights.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016